bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for 9: The Dark Side

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jan 4, 12 12:30 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of 9: The Dark Side? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond and you can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the 9: The Dark Side page here.

Have questions about our new reviews section? Please check this forum post and our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread. Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

 
cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 4, 12 1:22 AM
An excellent surprise here---the widescreen option is available which is an immediate indicator of the quality to come. Are the other devs (e.g. ERS) watching and learning? This developer is one I've not seen, but after this one they are worth keeping a close watch on--Play Favorite Games.
And the game is indeed very high quality---excellent graphics, smooth mechanics, easy and clear hint system, voiceovers, and appropriate musical track.
As you play a sense of humor manifests itself which lightens the gloomy surroundings just enough--watch for the comments made as you stumble around trying various actions.
Lots of enjoyable puzzles and the hidden object scenes are challenging but not frustrating, and the game appears to be lengthy.
If you didn't grab the CE when it was on sale or just want a great SE, this is the one!

 
Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 4, 12 2:12 AM
Good morning, cbtx and other fishies...

Unlike most of the reviewers, I didn't fall off my chair with excitement, and the only reason I bought the CE was because it was on sale for half price.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is a choice of widescreen, and I had to declick the widescreen box in order to get widescreen.

There are achievements, i.e. for doing a puzzle, etc.

The HINT and SKIP buttons fill fairly quickly. I believe it takes about 30 seconds for the HINT button to refill.

The voice-over is very well done, although one of the knights who spoke to me, wouldn't make it far as an actor. LOL

The graphics were very well done. Clear and clean images, even in the HOS (hidden object scenes), which were crowded, but not messy, and objects are easily found.

There are 2 different ways to find objects in the HOS: one is the normal way of finding and clicking on an object, and the other one has you interact with another object first, before being able to pick up the desired object.

Although the game wasn't as tedious as I thought it might be (not a big fan of medival castles, knights, and battleaxes), the bonus game was exhausting and tiresome, because not only did I encounter the same HOS (hidden object scenes) as there were in the main game, but the bonus game was riddled with puzzles. And I mean there was one puzzle after another, with the odd HOS thrown in.

I am not a big fan of puzzles. I don't mind the odd one here and there in a HOG, thrown in to get on in a game (opening a door or what have you), but this game, and especially the bonus game was just shock full of them.

So if you, like me, are not too keen on puzzles (I was so tired of them, I just took a break while the SKIP button filled, so I could just skip them), then beware. But all in all, it was a very nice game.

 
sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side

[Post New]by sunidayz on Jan 4, 12 3:07 AM
This was a pretty good game. I remember playing the CE demo . The graphic are really good and so is the music. The gameplay is fairly easy to follow and you always had the hint button to help you if you needed a push in the right direction. The HOS were fairly easy . The minigames were a bit challenging but there was a skip button after a bit you could use. I would rate this an 8 out of 10.

 
snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jan 4, 12 3:39 AM
Valdy wrote:Good morning, cbtx and other fishies...

Unlike most of the reviewers, I didn't fall off my chair with excitement, and the only reason I bought the CE was because it was on sale for half price.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is a choice of widescreen, and I had to declick the widescreen box in order to get widescreen.

There are achievements, i.e. for doing a puzzle, etc.

The HINT and SKIP buttons fill fairly quickly. I believe it takes about 30 seconds for the HINT button to refill.

The voice-over is very well done, although one of the knights who spoke to me, wouldn't make it far as an actor. LOL

The graphics were very well done. Clear and clean images, even in the HOS (hidden object scenes), which were crowded, but not messy, and objects are easily found.

There are 2 different ways to find objects in the HOS: one is the normal way of finding and clicking on an object, and the other one has you interact with another object first, before being able to pick up the desired object.

Although the game wasn't as tedious as I thought it might be (not a big fan of medival castles, knights, and battleaxes), the bonus game was exhausting and tiresome, because not only did I encounter the same HOS (hidden object scenes) as there were in the main game, but the bonus game was riddled with puzzles. And I mean there was one puzzle after another, with the odd HOS thrown in.

I am not a big fan of puzzles. I don't mind the odd one here and there in a HOG, thrown in to get on in a game (opening a door or what have you), but this game, and especially the bonus game was just shock full of them.

So if you, like me, are not too keen on puzzles (I was so tired of them, I just took a break while the SKIP button filled, so I could just skip them), then beware. But all in all, it was a very nice game.


I had the same problem and I haven't bothered returning to the game to finish it. I found it rather boring and just a bit frustrating but that might not be true for other players that enjoy puzzle after puzzle. Other than that, it was a well made and attractive game.

 
shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side

[Post New]by shagwendy on Jan 4, 12 5:15 AM
I bought it because it had a lot of puzzles in it, I get tired of all the H0 scenes, if I do too many it makes my eyes hurt. This game makes you use your mind more than just your eyes. I like the humor, too.

 
marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 4, 12 7:24 AM
This is so funny, I downloaded the demo of this game and as I started to play I was having dejavu, I kept thinking that I had played this game before, then I realized that I did play the CE demo, lo and behold I bought the CE but because my long list of games to play I have not gotten yet to finish this one on CE.

This game have excellent graphics and a very nice story line, it opens with a nice movie trailer that makes you want to see more.

I guess that is why I bought the CE it to Begin with and because it was on sale.

 
Audreyfavre
Herring
Herring
385 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side

[Post New]by Audreyfavre on Jan 4, 12 9:14 AM
Good Morning All,
I haven't seen anyone else mention this one particular aspect of the game: RESET BUTTON! Yay! I so appreciate this feature in mini-games. Thank you developers.
Audrey

 
bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jan 4, 12 9:16 AM
Enjoyable game as far as I can see playing the demo, however, I probably won't buy until I acrue a credit or it becomes a DD. Way too many mini games! If you are a mini game lover, this one is definately for you. The skip and hint keys refresh very quickly so mini games can be skipped. They are the basic ones, different versions of pipes and boxes, etc. They get a bit tedious and I don't have the patience for them. Story seems OK and it looks as if it could be a long one since you have to collect 9 items to "destroy" the dark side. Not the most exciting game, but fun. Not real difficult, HOGs are interesting and easy. I give it 3.5 s.

 
grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side

[Post New]by grannyq on Jan 4, 12 12:06 PM
I bought this game because of the mini games. However, some are so difficult even with th WT. Valdy said the bonus game was even more saturated. Thank goodness I only bought the SE.

 
Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jan 4, 12 2:15 PM
This is a very good game and it has a widescreen option too, great! For me its a definete buy

 
grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side

[Post New]by grannyq on Jan 4, 12 5:17 PM
grannyq wrote:I bought this game because of the mini games. However, some are so difficult even with th WT. Valdy said the bonus game was even more saturated. Thank goodness I only bought the SE.
Now that I've finished the game I like it a lot better than I first thought. I only came across 2 games I couldn't complete. This is a long game so enjoy.

 
grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side

[Post New]by grannyq on Jan 4, 12 5:24 PM
Audreyfavre wrote:Good Morning All,
I haven't seen anyone else mention this one particular aspect of the game: RESET BUTTON! Yay! I so appreciate this feature in mini-games. Thank you developers.
Audrey
Unless I didn't see it, not all of the puzzles have a reset button.

 
pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side

[Post New]by pvsquare on Jan 5, 12 12:23 PM
I am buying this one as I did not buy the CE enough I was tempted. Too many other CE games got my money. The story sounds good. The graphics and sound is very good. The puzzles take a little thought. The voices are very well done.

 
addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side

[Post New]by addieh on Jan 6, 12 12:35 PM
Wow! That is one of the best adventure games I've played!
The story was supreme, the graphics were clear and sharp, the voiceovers were excellent and I just finished it.
I'm not going to replay it just now, like I do all my games because it is too long but I rate this a 5 out of 5!
Excellent!

 
Kathyju77
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side

[Post New]by Kathyju77 on Jan 7, 12 12:05 PM
I don't know if I am posting right ..but wanted to share that I just finished this game and totally enjoyed it. It wasn't too difficult but challenging enough at the same time. Loved the puzzle where you put one piece and then another came up. Different and fun! I would certainly recommend this one.

 
7gran
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side

[Post New]by 7gran on Jan 8, 12 9:45 AM
It was excellent except for hje ending. GFar too muchclicking for the crystal ball and for the skellatons.

 
LARRY178
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side

[Post New]by LARRY178 on Jan 8, 12 9:16 PM

Great game. I am a fan of puzzles, so this one, for me, was fantastic. The reason is that some of the puzzles were new (most of them), not the tired old puzzles seen in so many games.

Ditto for the HOS. I get so tired of looking for grapes. :o)

This game had some new stuff and I appreciated it.

Graphics were well done, voices were good (except for a couple), music was better than most games. And the game was long enough, detailed enough, and difficult enough, that I thought I got my monies worth.

I give it a 9.5 out of 10.

 
Inanga
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side

[Post New]by Inanga on Jan 9, 12 12:24 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game - graphics were great.

 
GraciesDD
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side

[Post New]by GraciesDD on Jan 9, 12 6:43 PM
Inanga wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed this game - graphics were great.



Same here!


 
 
 
 
Go to: