bfgRhone
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Grim Tales: The Legacy Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jan 5, 12 12:16 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Grim Tales: The Legacy Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond and you can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Grim Tales: The Legacy Collector's Edition page here.

Have questions about our new reviews section? Please check this forum post and our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread. Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,513 Posts

Re:Reviews for Grim Tales: The Legacy Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jan 5, 12 1:10 AM
It's a great pleasure to add to my favorites a "little Dumbo" (Elephant game)...

Dark story (vampires), stunning graphics, and an add of "gamma" fix in the options. Hint system very helpful - thanks for the help out the HOS screens.
Hints recharge very fast.

A MAP, seems to allow jump from location to location (YAY)!!!

6 chapters - total 58 pages (above average).
Bonus chapter - 10 pages.

Quite a long story.

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
4,751 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 5, 12 1:18 AM
Based on the trial.

Seems like werewolves are becoming more the "in" problem at old castles, scary landscapes, or wherever---getting old faster than vampires and far less interesting.
But anyway from Elephant Games comes this lackluster effort with some positives and some negatives.
The positives:
-graphics are good and quite clear
-interesting puzzles so far
-a map is included that outlines objectives and is otherwise helpful
The negatives:
-control is very sluggish with the custom cursor
-the story is muddled and unclear
-the bonus game content is kept from us (no hint by checking SG-usually a sign that there's not much in the way of bonus game content)
-no widescreen option is even offered, which for us laptop users with a maximum res of 1366 x 768 means black bars--thoughtless and uncaring about detail on the part of developers, and yes, I will point this out every time a developer fails to offer this when the price of the game indicates such quality should be programmed in.
-music is spotty, and sometimes not present at all
Overall, it might be ok for a SE or DD but absolutely not CE worthy--no buy here.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jan 5, 12 1:24 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:It's a great pleasure to add to my favorites a "little Dumbo" (Elephant game)...

Dark story (vampires), stunning graphics, and an add of "gamma" fix in the options. Hint system very helpful - thanks for the help out the HOS screens.
Hints recharge very fast.

A MAP, seems to allow jump from location to location (YAY)!!!

6 chapters - total 58 pages (above average).
Bonus chapter - 10 pages.

Quite a long story.

Thanks developers, thanks BF!
I don't see a map. Where is it?

Valdy
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,531 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 5, 12 1:29 AM
Good morning, fishies...

This review is based on the trial version:

There are 3 gameplay modes - I played in easy mode.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

The voice-over, background sounds, and music all have different sliders.

The HINT button is on the left, and a COMPASS which serves as a MAP is on the right.

The HINT button also works outside of the HOS.

The map is very well done: You see where you are, where you need to do things, and where you haven't been yet.

When you put your cursor over a section of the map, you will get a list of tasks that need to be done in that area (this is in easy mode, mind you).
You can also use the map to jump to the different areas.

The graphics are OK, and even though I didn't like them all that much in the HOS (hidden object scenes), the objects in them were easy to find.

Both HINT and SKIP buttons refill quickly.

The SG (strategy guide) only shows the first chapter.

Gameplay is pretty much standard (not bad, but nothing new), and puzzles are OK.

--- --- ---

I will buy this game when the SE comes out, because this is a good HOG, and I like this kind of game, but I didn't fall off my chair with excitement while playing, so I won't get the CE.

Edited for spelling

Edited on 01/05/2012 at 3:55:20 AM PST

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Jan 5, 12 2:01 AM
Great game. Thanks for someone noting that the tasks could be highlighted if the cursor was held down on the different parts of the map. I knew there was a map and understood the signs, but didn't catch on to the tasks part.
The graphics were very good and the music too. The gameplay was okay ; you had the hint to help , otherwise I would've used the map, but in most places you didn't need either. The HOS were easy enough . The mini games were a little challenging , but there was a quick skip button. I don't think I would buy the CE - too expensive, but the SE might be worth buying. I would rate this game an 8 out of 10.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,087 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Jan 5, 12 2:13 AM
So far I rate this a 5 star +. I bought this one straight out because I was waiting for it. I love the werewolves and vampire themes. I could play them all the time it wouldn't bother me. My cursor is running very smoothly like it should.

Story: The main character is on her way to her sister's castle for a christening. She gets to the castle and so far she has been having a heck of a time getting anywhere.
She is trying to get to her sister and brother-in-law but so far bad luck. (note just started so not too far into story).

Graphic: Awesome! Very well done by the artists. Even in the H0G scenes they are clear. I didn't have a bit of a problem.

Music: Fits perfectly with the game.

Game Play: As with other H0G's, you find your list of items and get one you need at the end. Also you will find the items you need just laying around. With the map you can click on a location you have all ready visited and go right to it. Saves a lot of backtracking since this place is huge, (and I emphasize the word huge)!

Mini games: Not too hard or too easy. But they still make you think which I like.

All in all kudos to Elephant games for this wonderful game, thank you!

Edited on 01/05/2012 at 2:19:09 AM PST

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Jan 5, 12 2:26 AM
Goodday fishies!

These are my thoughts based on the trial played in casual mode.

SPOILER (highlight to read): It wasn't really clear what happened to the main character while driving to the location of her family. To discover in the first gamescene that the car had slipped was unexpected/. END OF SPOILER.

Another werewolve story. Apperently the new trend in adventure/IHOGs. Well, OK, when it's a good game. And this one appears to be so. Wellmade, with clear enough graphics and a choice to play casual, advanced or hard.
Furthermore the usual stuff. Junkpiley H0 scenes, interactive areas and minigames. The skippable puzzles I came across so far were pretty easy to solve.
Also present the usual backtracking. Not too bad here, cause there's a map beneath the compass on the right, including the tasks to do at any point in the game. Very helpfull.

Bit of a pity the SG only shows the first chapter. Have no idea of the length this way. But... it's an Elephant production, so I suspect it will be satisfying.

Seems a game good for 4 out of 5

Enjoy!

Edited on 01/05/2012 at 2:27:56 AM PST

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,633 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Jan 5, 12 2:56 AM
The mechanics and storyline of the game have all been very well covered! Thanks to all who posted. I agree thoroughly with all the good things already posted. Have had no tech problems.

I will just add that there are 6 chapters in the SG + the Bonus play.
There are 69 pages in the SG.
It stayed where I opened it and has both pics and instructions.

Additionally for those who are interested (of which I am one) ALL of the Bonus material is available immediately upon purchase of the game.
Wallpapers
Musical score
Concept art
Sadly, no Screen Savers (I think they would have been great)

Bonus play is available upon completing the regular game as usual.

I recommend giving this one a try and needless to add it is a buy for me.
Happy Gaming All
BK

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 5, 12 3:04 AM
I played 45 minutes of the demo before becoming so bored I quit the game and deleted it. Nothing new or innovative here; car crash and you find an apparently abandoned castle apart from wolves appearing to presumably try and scare you off. Personally I'd have gone home then but of course the heroine has to go wandering about, finding suitably useful items conveniently placed in order to proceed. Graphics were nice enough but this scenario has been done to death lately.

No widescreen option either so black bars down either side and the constantly glowing hint button was irritating. Sorry Elephant but this game did absolutely nothing to entice me to buy it.

ETA: Someone pointed out that we should get a computer that can handle these games if it doesn't play in widescreen. Perhaps they can explain why some games do? Fear For Sale: Sunnyvale, Beauty and The Beast, MKFTP and Pioneer Lands all play in widescreen on my PC, as do a few others. So it is perfectly capable of displaying widescreen; it just seems to choose not to with most games from this site

Edited on 01/06/2012 at 10:25:56 AM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jan 5, 12 3:18 AM
This is a good game, but I think I will wait till the release from the SE this time, because the game doesn`t have a widescreen option and I miss the "special feeling" in this game. No buy today, but surely as the SE

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,628 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jan 5, 12 3:18 AM
Elephant Games

- Story wolves, werevolves and ghost, may be an overdose of them lately
- Good graphics but not the best I've seen in games
- H0, junk piles, long time I hadn't seen a hotdog !, you don't interact
- Music is hardly audible and somtimes just absent
- Voice overs
. 3 modes to play
- A map, very useful for tasks and changing location
- Mini games slightly different from the regular ones, not too easy for some of them
- Very useful hint, will tell you what to do next
- SG accessible from the game.

Shame, at least for me, that this game appeared after Shadow Wolf, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more. I'm a bit put off by the H0 being junkpiles and no interaction in them. Only one chapter in the sample, so I don't know how long the game is. Played the demo easy mode (always do for a demo) and...it was really easy. Possible spoiler : the cut scene at the beginning doesn't include the fact that you have a car crash before reaching the castle... I will most probably buy the game but I had greater hopes while waiting for it to appear, a bit disappointed...

glb613
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by glb613 on Jan 5, 12 3:45 AM
The game fills the screen on my notebook computer and my desktop with a 23 inch monitor. I use the full screen option and there are no black bars,. My advice for those who like to play games, get a computer that handles the specs. It really is tiresome to read the same complaint from the same poster with every game.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
4,751 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 5, 12 4:35 AM
glb613 wrote:The game fills the screen on my notebook computer and my desktop with a 23 inch monitor. I use the full screen option and there are no black bars,. My advice for those who like to play games, get a computer that handles the specs. It really is tiresome to read the same complaint from the same poster with every game.

Then I would simply skip over those posts, and not take the extra time to post a complaint in the review thread (which gets us off-topic, which is reviews).
Just me, though.

Happy gaming!

edited for spelling

Edited on 01/05/2012 at 5:22:58 AM PST

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
688 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jan 5, 12 5:52 AM
I am going to wait for the SE, I did have a few issues with the game, But i will buy the SE..The game is just ok, I was looking forward in a very exciting game today that held my interest..

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
579 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 5, 12 5:54 AM
I had mix feelings with this one, the opening trailer was OK but nothing out of the ordinary just your typical opening or "bumpy ride".

I played on the hardest mode, I though I made a mistake on that when I came to the first HOS, but beside the "what is called around here junk pile" everything was OK.

Then came the typical hard entrance to the "place", then again I though I made a mistake playing on the hardest mode when I came across the second puzzle, but surprisingly everything was OK, just patient with it made a difference.

Actually what I though was a "just another of this kind of game" became an interesting game that I ran out of time on the demo when I was the most into the game.

At the end, I actually like the game, the graphics should be better, but I imagine that having the game looking the way it does just add more to the challenging and eerie and creepy look of the story.

gks1951
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by gks1951 on Jan 5, 12 7:01 AM
The game was void of any warmth. I just left me empty.All the games are a repetition of all the other games of late.If I am going to blow money on a game it better be worth while the spending. I will stick with Nancy Drew, no junk piles there, intrigue, mystery and most important entertaining.

Happy gaming fishes.

[Post New]by jailbird400 on Jan 5, 12 7:10 AM
HI..I have all the specs 2012 Asus republic of gamers,Nvidia geforce GTX,560M 2GB.On video card. intel core i7. I ill not go on and on...but still no wide screen on most BF Games. AT 14.00 This is somthing that ..well is a givin. No wide screen no 14.00. i do pay the 7.00..but believe me..the black bars are still an irritant. If we continue to repeat ourselves...then maybe..just maybe....bf will get it. BF is losing alot of money on me. Due to this issue.Again ,14.00 no widescreen , no buy.7.00..maybe.

cbtx wrote:
glb613 wrote:The game fills the screen on my notebook computer and my desktop with a 23 inch monitor. I use the full screen option and there are no black bars,. My advice for those who like to play games, get a computer that handles the specs. It really is tiresome to read the same complaint from the same poster with every game.

Then I would simply skip over those posts, and not take the extra time to post a complaint in the review thread (which gets us off-topic, which is reviews).
Just me, though.

Happy gaming!

edited for spelling

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Jan 5, 12 7:32 AM
This is a game I was looking forward to seeing firstly because I enjoy elephant games, and secondly, I loved Grim Tales the Bride.

The characters from the Bride are back. John and Luisa are the parents of the baby. I won't say anything more on the story. Don't want to give too much away.

As with all elephant games, I am able to see the game without the bars that some people get. Options are many with this game. The usual controls for sounds, music, and voices. Also have a control for brightness, which is nice.

There are 3 levels of gameplay, casual advanced and hardcore. Lots of sparkles in easy mode. You can switch levels even after starting the game, a feature I have not seen. However, you will get more hints than you want at times, even in the most difficult mode. It will tell you exactly what you need to perform the task.

There is a map which is quite helpful. Each room (and there are MANY rooms) when you mouse over them give you all the tasks that can be performed there. You can also jump from one room to another, which I am certain will come in handy when the rooms start piling up. I have read that you have a lot of walking to do, so I like the map feature.

HOG scenes are clear, most items easy to find. There is a hint system which recharges fairly quickly in easy mode. You might need it for 1 or 2 harder to see objects.

There is no penalty for clicking too much. (Have to try that, just for fun.)

Mini games are fairly easy from what I have played. You can skip in easy and hard mode, but I haven't needed to use it so I can't speak for how long it takes the skip to fill.

Graphics are good. Music seems to play when it wants to, but I usually turn that off in games unless it is really creepy. I can't speak to the length since only one chapter is available in the strategy guide. Usually elephant games are on the longish side, so this probably will be long as well.

You can skip the into if you exit and start again. No need to watch it again, for those who don't like to see the same intro over and over again.

The story may be something we have seen before. With the new Shadow Wolf, I am kind of "werewolved out" so I may wait for the SE. It didn't grab me as much as the Bride did, which was a bit disappointing. I would give this 4 of 5 stars. Definitely worth getting the SE.

ranger05
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by ranger05 on Jan 5, 12 7:42 AM
Already annoyed and I have only played about 30 seconds. Whenever the cursor turns into a magnifying glass there is a black pop-up box that tells you what it is. As if I can't tell it is trash in the road or a pothole. Will eventually play whole demo, but if this is true for the whole game, I won't be buying it. And it looks like a good story.

I tried in all modes and it is the same.

Edited on 01/05/2012 at 7:43:19 AM PST

Go to: