DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Comments for Grim Tales: The Legacy Collector's Edition

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jan 5, 12 10:47 PM
Hi there,
For those of you who are "thinking" about purchasing this game and are not time-worn (LOL) players of these types of games, let me assure you that this is a very worthy and long offering.
However, I was just wondering if anyone else out there had similar ideas to mine.
I am a big fan of Elephant Games, but somehow this game missed the mark as far as the "engagement" factor goes.
I am excusing some of the "language" difficulties, though I hadn't found these so prevalent in their other games.
I played on the Intermediate mode (in case I met a puzzle I really disliked), but got very tired of being told what to do and what I needed to find/use. Not to mention the mess in the Second Chapter whereby sparkles were enabled by all players as has been mentioned by many others (hm).
And, really the storyline was basically blah. OK, a lot of it had been done before in other games and managed to still make you want tp know, why didn't this one?? I mean, I actually didn't even care if I skipped puzzles (even the Sokoban-style ones that I knew I could do having been a huge fan of these in the past), but just couldn't be bothered with.
So, with great graphics (though I was forced to use my non-gaming laptop so I understand the frustrations of others who cannot play in fullscreen or otherwise in Windows 7), a lot of adventure style play and puzzles thrown in, great length, interactive map, very helpful Hint system (and I suppose a very useful SG that I didn't use (someone else please help here)) how come I didn't really "love" it?
I still can't put a finger on what was the problem. It seems like a different group of developers were given the job of completing the sequel to "The Bride" with a basic premise, but no original thought - or method by which to change the assistance required for the 3 playing modes.
Maybe it followed on from a couple of other games that approached this genre from a different perspective ... or whatever.
I am hoping that the next instalment of Mystery Trackers doesn't suffer from the same ennui.
This game is more worthy than a lot of others that were released in 2011, but .....??? Where did it go wrong?
Or maybe I am just being overly picky as I had higher expectations.
Cheers

Edited on 01/05/2012 at 10:57:12 PM PST

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

Re:Comments for Grim Tales: The Legacy Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mamajay on Jan 6, 12 12:16 AM
HI DLO I only played the demo - cannot make up my mind about purchasing yet, and i am wondering if part of the problem is that there was no interaction with other people (apart from the ghost)?

We see the invite to the christening, there is a car accident at the gates, again, and there are wolves all over the place - again.

If there are notes to tell us where everyone went, I didn't see them.

I think maybe ennui is the right description after all, lol.

I should mention that I couldn't make up my mind about the first game either, lol. Mainly because I don't know if the CE's are actually better than the SE's or vice versa, sigh.

Jen

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jan 6, 12 12:25 AM
Hi there mamajay.
Hm, if ennui seems to fit the game's bill, I despair about future offerings for those of us who have been fans of the foremost developers of these types of games. Usually there is a "zing" that makes us want to know more and play on even if it is rather familiar.
( )
Cheers

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jan 6, 12 2:33 AM
I agree DLO - I've come out of the demo twice - I usually can't drag myself away. Fabulous graphics, loads to do, but I ain't sure I can be bovvered. The zing isn't there!

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jan 6, 12 4:54 AM
The graphics are nice, although a bit dark, but where's the logic? Driving along and then suddenly I find out that something was a close call and I've had an accident? I've been invited to a Christening, but nobody's around and I'm worried about upsetting ghosts but don't seem to wonder where everyone is?

I'm just not liking the feel of the story. It seems very disjointed. Granted, I've only played for 15 minutes, but that's usually enough time for me to get involved in the game/story. Not this time. I won't be purchasing the CE, and probably not even as an SE. There's just no there, there.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jan 6, 12 5:12 AM
Based on the demo I found this a fantastic game. Gives you a lot to do all at once. really keeps you moving.
Fortunately I am going to wait for the SE. This has a hint system that leaves no reason to use the SG. I find that I don't really care that much about bonus content so if I don't need the SG why pay the extra?

Now my problem will be making myself wait

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Jan 6, 12 5:42 AM
I don't know what it is Ozzie... I have played very little of this one so far. I just can't seem to get into it. I thought it was just me suffering a bit of game burn out...

eta: Remember I mentioned the other day that I was surprised how fast they cranked this game out? Maybe that is the problem. Maybe they hurried this one to market?

edit for update: Well, I appear to be suffering from one of my periodic bouts of game burn-out and so it took me days (4 or 5!) to play through the main game in this one. In the end, it is a very good game and quite long, it is unfortunate that I just wasn't in the mood. I will replay the game in 8-12 months from now and I am positive that I will love it! because it really is a great game. Elephant Games was indeed on their game with this one and they didn't rush this game to market at all. I highly recommend this one.

Edited on 01/10/2012 at 3:39:31 AM PST

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jan 6, 12 9:03 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:I don't know what it is Ozzie... I have played very little of this one so far. I just can't seem to get into it. I thought it was just me suffering a bit of game burn out...

eta: Remember I mentioned the other day that I was surprised how fast they cranked this game out? Maybe that is the problem. Maybe they hurried this one to market?

I wonder too

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Jan 6, 12 12:48 PM
I just wrote a review that said basically the same thing. This is a very nice game, it just doesn't feel like an Elephant game.

Other Elephant games have some...i dunno what. Zing is about right. Like the game has been developed by people who love H0's and lite adventure. It feels as if the devs are excited and can't wait to show you what they've done. This one feels like "Find the key, open the chest, get the hammer, pound the nail, whatever."

They saved a lot of time by not adding items to collect, interactive H0's and achievements. I wish they had used that time to expand on the template, instead of just following it exactly.

ethyl2
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by ethyl2 on Jan 7, 12 3:53 PM
i have played a bit of the game and wonder where all of a sudden the ghost came from ? Who is he and why is he there? Wouldn t the ghost have met you at the begining?

[Post New]by Hrdwlby on Jan 8, 12 8:58 AM
When will this game be available for Mac?

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Jan 8, 12 2:51 PM
A special note for this game, after I have finished the bonus chapter, I confirm my demo's review, excellent game from start to end, 10/10 ,Great job Elephant devlps. and greetings!

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Jan 9, 12 1:44 AM
Overall I liked the game, took me 3 days to complete (3-4 hours per sitting). By time I got to the bonus, I actually was happy that it was short; I was all played out )) I remember beta testing it and the one comment I made that it needed a journal just to keep track on what to do and what is going on. However the map preety much keeps you on track as to where to go and what needs to be done. Kudos for that. The graphics were great, the voiceovers were good however I agree with my collegue fishies, something missing with the storyline, it just did not grab me. I just went through the mechanics of the game and not really bothering with what was going opn. I think the story just fell flat and not too much was going on. There was no emotional element to it and I felt like I was just wanting to finish with the game. I loved the variety in puzzles but when I got to the door with the four elements, after playing over one hour just to get the first lock, I gave up and skipped the next three. Im afraid my patience got the best of me, kept getting blocked and had to press the reset button which was annoying.

Overall, hats off to the developers because of its length (well worth the CE price) and to all the details involved. I especially love the map.

I would love it if other CEs were this long. Happy gaming everyone and have a great week.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Feb 4, 12 8:40 PM
Hi there,
I thought it fitting to pop in here in light of my OP for this game and my observations about ennui in the offerings from Elephant Games in the future.
Their latest game "Surface" is much better - and back to the better premise, game play etc.
So, I no longer despair about the worthiness of the next Mystery Trackers.
Bring it on!!!
Cheers

Go to: