bfgKenai
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

Reviews for White Haven Mysteries Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgKenai on Jan 8, 12 12:16 AM
Hi Fishies!

We’d love to hear what you think of White Haven Mysteries Collector's Edition ; your reviews are very important to us and to other Fishies. And now you’re more than welcomed to post your thoughts about this game right from the White Haven Mysteries Collector's Edition page over Here!

For more information about our Game Reviews, please click here.

Once you’ve submitted your review, please feel free to come back and re-post your thoughts in this thread. Remember, a lot of people who will be reading these reviews haven’t played this game yet, so if you’re posting any spoilers, please be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

You can also specify if you played the game from the trial version or the full version and on which level you ended your game play, so that other players can get more out of this discussion !

If you are experiencing technical issues with this game, remember to check out the support thread for this game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!
bfgKenai

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for White Haven Mysteries Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 8, 12 1:22 AM
Good morning, fishies...

This review is based on the trial version, which I played in easy mode.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

The HINT button fills within 20 seconds, and the SKIP button, which is located at the top right-hand corner, fills about as quickly.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) were sometimes messy and sometimes not.
They were sometimes dark, and other times not.

The graphics were well done.

The SG (strategy guide) follows your progress, and highlights the part where you need to do something immediately.

When you click on "Home" within the SG, it will always show the page where you are at in the game.

The SG only shows you the pages for the trial version.

There is a journal, which gives you info on what you have to do, and adds documents you find throughout the game.

There is no map.

--- --- ---

There are a few nice additions to this game, which I haven't seen in other games, and which makes it more interesting to play.

However, I have played too many games that are placed in mental hospitals, and am therefore going to wait for the SE, especially since I wasn't thrown off my chair with excitement.

Happy day, everyone.

Edited to remove the "removed by" part.

Edited on 01/08/2012 at 3:08:16 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 8, 12 1:39 AM
I began this game with serious misgivings such as:
--yet another hapless individual has simply appeared with no memory of who she is or how she got there or why (yawn)
--no widescreen (or stretch or aspect correction) is even in the options
--no clue about the bonus gameplay as to length
So I began the game and guess what? This thing is truly SCARY! And almost immediately I was drawn into the implausible story despite the routine start because the sense of mystery and intrugue immediately jumped into high gear and the MUSIC and SOUND EFFECTS are some of the scariest (best) I've ever heard.
The graphics are very, very good and the gameplay flows very smoothly.
The SG appears to have no home or title page but just starts at the beginning (naturally, I suppose), but hold on--a pleasant surprise here, Not only does the SG hold its place but actually refuses to move on until all that needs to be done IS done. And it actually highlights the area or item that has been overlooked. I don't recall this being done before so cheers to the dev for that.
Puzzles appear to be about average.
The hidden object scenes are very well done with a VERY quick reload of the hint button and just wait till you get to the 3rd hidden object scene---a really unique scene the likes of which I have never seen before.
I would like to know more about the bonus game and can only imagine how much better it would look in widescreen (GogiiGrace, your thoughts?), but a probable buy for me.

Edited on 01/08/2012 at 1:40:59 AM PST

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Jan 8, 12 1:48 AM
Happy New Year Fellow Fishes. Played 40 min. and have added to my to buy list. I find the graphics to be sharp and clean. The Hidden object are a bit cluttered but manageable. Have only used the guide once so far and only for the first puzzle in order to move on further into the demo. As always I demo the game in the casual mode which in this case the sparkles were there for hidden object and barely visible in the rest. Look forward to playing without in the harder mode which I always play after purchase. Since I am hearing impaired I can not comment on the sound which the developers recommend playing, in the dark and w/sound. So far the game is very linear, once a section is completed, you cant go back which saves on the sneaker wear and tear. Each section has a little back and forth until you complete your objectives, use your inventory and move on to the next section all in a very logical manner. There is a journal available that keeps you up to date with the story and a little girl who pops up to help you along the way.
Enjoy

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jan 8, 12 1:55 AM
I beta tested this game and this review is based on beta and trial. O.K., here we go again. Another mental hospital with ghost and a sinister voice leading you through the maze like a rat. This is an o.k. game, but we've seen and played this story over and over again. I don't need to pay CE prices for the same story. I will wait for the SE and only use a punch card on it. The graphics are crisp and very clear and very good. The voiceover's are mediocre. I'm not saying it's a bad game, I'm saying we've seen it, bought it and played it over and over again. I refuse to buy anymore of these games with the same storyline's. Come on developers, we know your more talented than this. To give me the same story over and over again. I know you can do better. And when you know better, you do better. So PLEASE come up with some new storylines.

Yes: Full Screen, it's fit's my 17' widescreen monitor, with out adjusting DPI.
Yes: Voiceovers
Yes: On/Off Sparkles button
Yes:Custom Cursor
Yes: SFX sound/music/voiceover separate buttons
Yes: Two modes of play/easy & advanced
Theme: Psychological thriller

If you've never played this type of storyline before, than this game is for you. And if your a fan of the same storyline, than this game is for you. But if your like me and so tired of the same ghostly storylines, than this game can wait for punchcard or skip it completely. Like I always say, try the game for yourself. This might be the game for you. But for me, it's only worth punchcard or I'll skip it all together.

I rate the game: “PIGLET” for graphics quality.
Good game. I like the over quality of the game. But not the theme.
For true lover's of these types of games.
‘ ‘
(o)

Edited on 01/08/2012 at 2:05:47 AM PST

[Post New]by FishForever on Jan 8, 12 1:58 AM
It's from (Removed by moderator) the developer of Empress of the Deep, Princess Isabella, Haunted Past etc. so it's great!

Well, the story is not so interesting, another game set in the mental hospital with the main character lost her memories and trying to figure out how to escape the place. However, this game is a bit different, it's exciting and SCARY!!! This is surely one the scariest games I've ever played, with extremely shocking moments and gorgeous music+sound effects! (there's a big red warning sign at the start of the game anyway to encourage you to play the game in the dark and to turn the sounds on), Graphics are really clear which is great, puzzles are so-so and HOS are ok too (many items are a bit hard to find). Voice overs were well done especially the voice of the villain What I really like is the SG that keeping you right on track, it has no title page though but it follows your progress really well, it also holds its place until everything is done so you could make sure that you wouldn't missed any steps...

I already bought the game from the dev site about 2 days ago and I'm quite happy I did purchased it! The game is quite long, lasts around 4 hours for fast player like me, I found the ending of the main game too abruptly and unclear, while the bonus game is not so impressive but still worth the price because it's quite long....haven't finished it yet so don't know if the bonus could add extra information about the ending!

Happy Gaming....

Edited on 01/08/2012 at 3:00:38 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 8, 12 2:05 AM
HI LovetoMissLisa and all,

Your point about the repetitive storyline is very well taken and in an overall sense, I agree with you. But this game seems to set the bar much higher on spooky and storyline, and I was really taken with it as opposed to some of the others of its ilk (Committed comes to mind)
Also, the music and sound effects are really outstanding as well as the voiceovers.

nance91947
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by nance91947 on Jan 8, 12 2:42 AM
What an intriguing game! Even though we've someone with amnesia who's been given a lethal "dose", this game really manages to maintain one's interest. IMO (Removed by moderator) always has superior games--great graphics, story line and all the tidbits needed for a choice game. Mind you, I just started Chapter 2 after an hour's play. Even though this genre seems a tad "popular" with developers as of late, it takes a class act like (Removed by moderator) to really make this game stand out. When the beginning of the game states that they suggest you play the game in the dark and with the sound on, you've just got to be intrigued. That interesting twist should at least entice one to check this gem of a game out! Can't wait to see what awaits in Chapter 2!

Edited on 01/08/2012 at 2:53:12 AM PST

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Jan 8, 12 2:47 AM
I like (Removed by moderator) also. They are all pretty good. So isn't this one. It's scary and the music follows along. The graphics are very good and the gameplay is fairly easy to follow . The HOS are fairly easy and quick and the mini games , which I can only remember coming across a couple were fairly easy too. (I was in casual mode by the way). The storyline was kind of common , but it didn't really matter because the game kind of overrode it anyway. I would rate it a 9 out of 10.

Edited on 01/08/2012 at 2:57:16 AM PST

nightmusk
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by nightmusk on Jan 8, 12 2:59 AM
didnt really do it for me
might buy it using a punch card reward when it comes a SE

nightmusk
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by nightmusk on Jan 8, 12 2:59 AM
didnt really do it for me
might buy it using a punch card reward when it comes a SE

tillybaby
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by tillybaby on Jan 8, 12 3:06 AM
Well I have bought it but wish I hadn't because there are just too many hidden object scenes and nothing at all new,

Although I agree with everything that has already been said about the graphics being clear etc. but there is much more to a game than clear graphics, in future I don't think I will be quite so hasty.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jan 8, 12 3:37 AM
Played the full demo, easy mode, always do for demos.

- 2 gameplay modes
- Journal
- No map
- H0 are clear, you don't interact
- Hint refills really quickly
- Skip button as well
- Mini games easy and not many of them
- Over present music which gets annoying after a while
- Voiceovers
- Good graphics
- Useful integrated SG which follows your progress and indicates places of interest

Usual story of lost memory in a creepy sanitarium. Wasn't over thrilled by the game, too many H0. You use the objects you find straight away. No real challenge. Will wait for the SE.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jan 8, 12 4:53 AM
This is a solid game, but not a special one. I miss the "special feeling" in this game. For me its a no buy yet, but probably as the SE

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jan 8, 12 5:00 AM
I liked the trial, so I bought the game. I wish that I did't do that. Too much HOS. And now I found it a little boring.

Brendansoma1
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Brendansoma1 on Jan 8, 12 5:09 AM
I played the trial for about 30 minutes. The story looked very interesting, but when almost every scene has a hidden object part, it's a no buy for me

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Jan 8, 12 5:12 AM
Played for 36 minutes, not very interesting. Probably a buy as SE, but definitely not a CE. H0 scenes are very dark and I had to use hints to get through them. The third H0 scene was unusual, but very small objects made it a real challenge for me. It seemed too simplistic, no real challenge, since you used objects as soon as you found them. No buy today.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Jan 8, 12 5:16 AM
I loved the demo and the creepy atmosphere and I want to buy it so badly but when I looked through the strategy guide it seemed like mostly H0 scenes. I like my HOPAs more on the Puzzle/Adventure side unless they are FROGS. I will have to get this eventually, though. The voice acting, music, sound effects and strategy guide were all excellent. The H0 scene with the phone was something else again, though

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 8, 12 5:20 AM
shagwendy wrote:The H0 scene with the phone was something else again, though

I liked that one. And I liked it even more that you could SKIP this HOS.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jan 8, 12 5:42 AM
Having played (and enjoyed) the trial hour, I couldn't wait to buy this game. But from that point on, it was downhill all the way.
The CE bonus chapter, as is only too common in these games, was made up of far too many HOG scenes.
Felt for a CE the HOG scenes could have been more than a junk pile too! When one's life is in danger, it's not the time for scouring cupboards for golf balls (and in this game), an ice cream. And how did a shrimp make its way into a medical cupboard?
HOG scenes started off with smaller items, but as time went by the items seemed to grow so finding things was very easy.
Puzzles were dreary and pointless. And too many 'would be' puzzles weren't puzzles at all.
CE ended with a matching pairs game...not even a very well thought out one.
I just got the impression that this game started off with a lot of care and fine tuning, but progressed into something that was thrown together.
The graphics were good, the music fitting. I played advanced mode and the hint system excellent.
Towards the end I just wanted the game to be over.
Think it ok for a beginner to these genre of games, but of late we've had games that are far superior to this one.
When I see (Removed by moderator) I usually get something special. But this one was a bit of a damp squib!

Edited on 01/08/2012 at 7:50:26 AM PST

Go to: