9,383 Posts

Comments for "White Haven Mysteries" CE

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 8, 12 1:28 AM
Good morning, everyone.

I had to laugh when, on the main game page, I saw among others the following:

The Collector’s Edition includes:

Escape from White Haven
Scour Hidden Object scenes

And I thought: OK... so if we buy the SE instead of the CE, we won't be able to escape from White Haven, nor will we be able to scour hidden object scenes either? LOL

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:Comments for "White Haven Mysteries" CE

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 8, 12 1:50 AM
Good morning Valdy and all,

When I saw that about escape I too laughed but I wonder if that may be the bonus episode.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 8, 12 1:54 AM
cbtx wrote:Good morning Valdy and all,

When I saw that about escape I too laughed but I wonder if that may be the bonus episode.

That has crossed my mind as well. But then, if that is the case, it would give you an unfinished SE version.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 8, 12 1:54 AM
I just want to say that this game is a HUGE step up from the last offering from (Removed by moderator)--Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts. So it's nice to see this excellent developer is back on track, so to speak. (except for no widescreen option)

Edited on 01/08/2012 at 8:18:25 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 8, 12 1:56 AM
Valdy wrote:
cbtx wrote:Good morning Valdy and all,

That has crossed my mind as well. But then, if that is the case, it would give you an unfinished SE version.

Well, yes, that's true---maybe there is more info on the devs page.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 8, 12 2:13 AM
I am sure you will be able to escape at the end of the main page. They just needed to add some extras to their list, since there doesn't seem to be a screensaver and wallpaper, as there usually is. So instead of those, they have added the escape and "Scour Hidden Object scenes". Now that alone tells you that it's not just for the bonus game. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to do any HOS in the main game.

BTW, I must admit that I didn't find the hour I played the game scary at all. But then, I don't like to be scared too much anyway. I had enough of that when I played "The Hookman". Now that was a scary game.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 8, 12 2:26 AM
Valdy wrote:I am sure you will be able to escape at the end of the main page. They just needed to add some extras to their list, since there doesn't seem to be a screensaver and wallpaper, as there usually is. So instead of those, they have added the escape and "Scour Hidden Object scenes". Now that alone tells you that it's not just for the bonus game. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to do any HOS in the main game.

BTW, I must admit that I didn't find the hour I played the game scary at all. But then, I don't like to be scared too much anyway. I had enough of that when I played "The Hookman". Now that was a scary game.

Agreed, and no new info on their site either.
I forgot about "The Hookman"--very scary series!

bradalex
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by bradalex on Jan 8, 12 2:37 AM
Can I just say that I personally am getting bored with "scary" and am longing for something more amusing. I am still waiting fo the next part of Dying for Daylight. Now that was funny.
I will probably give in and buy this if nothing better comes out next week,which on present form there probably won't be.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 8, 12 2:46 AM
bradalex wrote:Can I just say that I personally am getting bored with "scary" and am longing for something more amusing. I am still waiting fo the next part of Dying for Daylight. Now that was funny.
I will probably give in and buy this if nothing better comes out next week,which on present form there probably won't be.

I don't remember where I saw it (maybe in the Chit Chat Corner), but I DID read that the sequel or sequels for Dying for Daylight have been cancelled.
But I love the scary, spooky games as well as the amusing games.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jan 8, 12 2:47 AM
Hey Valdy--the video does display "Wallpapers," but no Screensavers and no Musical Soundtracks, which most other CEs do offer. And I agree with Cbtx--the developers have raised the bar a bit from their last release. I must admit, though--the "blinking eyes," the "amnesia," and the asylum thingy are getting pretty well-worn.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Jan 8, 12 2:57 AM
Good morning, all. I'm on the fence with this one. I agree with all the good points already listed.Great graphics, and though the storyline has been used once or twice this has an interesting twist to it.
It has the things I usually buy a CE for,ie,SG,wallpapers, concept art, voiceovers always a big plus, and of course bonus play. No screen savers or music score this time. Which really isn't that big a thing with this one. Did anyone actually need the SG in the demo? I opened it just to see how many pages there were, but that is all. I don't usually waffle on a CE very much if I really like it! LOL. But with the CE sale not so very long ago, I am kind of full up with CEs now. Not that I'm complaining, just makes me unsure about this game. I'm leaning toward the buy button, would somebody please give me a push?
BK

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 8, 12 3:30 AM
BearKat wrote:Good morning, all. I'm on the fence with this one. I agree with all the good points already listed.Great graphics, and though the storyline has been used once or twice this has an interesting twist to it.
It has the things I usually buy a CE for,ie,SG,wallpapers, concept art, voiceovers always a big plus, and of course bonus play. No screen savers or music score this time. Which really isn't that big a thing with this one. Did anyone actually need the SG in the demo? I opened it just to see how many pages there were, but that is all. I don't usually waffle on a CE very much if I really like it! LOL. But with the CE sale not so very long ago, I am kind of full up with CEs now. Not that I'm complaining, just makes me unsure about this game. I'm leaning toward the buy button, would somebody please give me a push?
BK

*drags BK away from that "buy" button*

I never buy a CE for any of the extras (to 99% I never even use the SG), but only for the bonus game. However, when I am not thrown off my chair with excitement while playing the 1 hour I've got, then I know that by the time I am done with the main game, I wouldn't want to continue with the bonus game - unless the bonus game is about something entirely different, as was the case the other day with a CE, where the bonus game was "Hansel and Gretel". And that was a relief.

So just think about it first. Were you really excited about the game while playing the demo? Did you feel the urge to continue immediately after you were done?

If the answer to those questions is "yes", then I will help you on the way to the "buy" button and give you a push.

glb613
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by glb613 on Jan 8, 12 3:53 AM
This game fills my 23 inch monitor without any problems and no black bars. I really think the poster with all of the display problems needs to look to computer as the source and not the games.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 8, 12 4:09 AM
I'm so glad that this game has so many positive attributes going for it that I can overlook the widescreen issue.
I'm so glad that Big Fish customer service has assured me that I have no computer problems and that the issue is programming.
I'm so glad that two different devs that have worked on the actual games have assured me that I have no computer problems and that the issue is programming. They have even explained the exact nature of the programming issue to me and have assured me that they are aware of the issue and are working on it for future games.
Gosh, I sure hope BFG cust svc and the devs know what they're talking about! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Jan 8, 12 4:10 AM
Thanks for the help, Valdy.
To tell the truth the answer is Yes and NO respectively. And although I DO like the bells and whistles of a CE this time they didn't really seem important to me for some reason. AND, the big thing is I didn't need the SG in the demo.
Thanks for replying and making me take a better look at it, 'cuz really, even though I like and want to finish the game, I do not feel like I just can't wait until the SE comes out. It will be a definite buy then .
So thanks for dragging me away from the buy button .
The budget is safe and the DH is sleeping more soundly and doesn't even know why! roflol!
Happy Gaming
BK

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 8, 12 4:52 AM
BearKat wrote:So thanks for dragging me away from the buy button .
The budget is safe and the DH is sleeping more soundly and doesn't even know why! roflol!
Happy Gaming
BK

LOL I like that - DH is sleeping more soundly but hasn't got a clue why.

And you are welcome. You and me both will wait for the SE.

slotfish
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by slotfish on Jan 8, 12 5:01 AM
I am with you Valdy will buy the SE also this was good but not that good.

dk5793
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,792 Posts

[Post New]by dk5793 on Jan 8, 12 5:42 AM
glb613 wrote:This game fills my 23 inch monitor without any problems and no black bars. I really think the poster with all of the display problems needs to look to computer as the source and not the games.

I also have a 23-inch monitor and the game fills the screen completely. If it doesn't work this way for you, you can take a look at your display settings in Control Panel. Some graphic cards allow you to change the settings for the aspect ratio. It's also worth taking a trip to the website for your graphics card to find out more about this.

DK

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 8, 12 5:49 AM
glb613 wrote:This game fills my 23 inch monitor without any problems and no black bars. I really think the poster with all of the display problems needs to look to computer as the source and not the games.

'The poster with all of the display problems', assuming you mean cbtx, is not alone in having no widescreen with most of the games on here. I don't either and I also have a 23" monitor. I use a desktop and I believe cbtx has a laptop. It's also doubtful we use the same OS or graphics cards; I have Vista HP and a Radeon HD5670 card.

I had Customer Services working for 3 days to try and figure out why I get widescreen on a few games but not most others. They could not find any issues with my PC or it's set-up and my resolution is set to the recommended level for the monitor; changing it does not help. And having just tried it, this game doesn't display in widescreen for me either but Fear For Sale: Sunnyvale Story did. So it clearly is not my PC that is at fault.

As both yourself and many others do get widescreen on almost every game but some of us don't, it does seem that somewhere in the programming of the game, something needs to be changed to give every type of set-up the option for widescreen. Some devs obviously have done this but most haven't. And until they do, we will keep on about it!

ETA: My graphics card has no option to change the aspect ratio, as mentioned by dk5793. But since some games do play in w/s, it doesn't seem as though that is the issue.

Edited on 01/08/2012 at 5:53:31 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 8, 12 6:00 AM
angelfish106 wrote:'The poster with all of the display problems', assuming you mean cbtx, is not alone in having no widescreen with most of the games on here. I don't either and I also have a 23" monitor. I use a desktop and I believe cbtx has a laptop. It's also doubtful we use the same OS or graphics cards; I have Vista HP and a Radeon HD5670 card.

I had Customer Services working for 3 days to try and figure out why I get widescreen on a few games but not most others. They could not find any issues with my PC or it's set-up and my resolution is set to the recommended level for the monitor; changing it does not help. And having just tried it, this game doesn't display in widescreen for me either but Fear For Sale: Sunnyvale Story did. So it clearly is not my PC that is at fault.

As both yourself and many others do get widescreen on almost every game but some of us don't, it does seem that somewhere in the programming of the game, something needs to be changed to give every type of set-up the option for widescreen. Some devs obviously have done this but most haven't. And until they do, we will keep on about it!

ETA: My graphics card has no option to change the aspect ratio, as mentioned by dk5793. But since some games do play in w/s, it doesn't seem as though that is the issue.

My graphic card has no option either to change the aspect ratio. Either a game does or doesn't play in widescreen (stretched), depending on which developers made the games. And I have the same kind of laptop cbtx has - Win7, 64-bit, just about a year old.

Go to: