bfgKenai
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

Reviews for Mystical Island

[Post New]by bfgKenai on Jan 10, 12 12:15 AM
Hi Fishies!

We’d love to hear what you think of Mystical Island; your reviews are very important to us and to other Fishies. And now you’re more than welcomed to post your thoughts about this game right from the Mystical Island page over Here!

For more information about our Game Reviews, please click here.

Once you’ve submitted your review, please feel free to come back and re-post your thoughts in this thread. Remember, a lot of people who will be reading these reviews haven’t played this game yet, so if you’re posting any spoilers, please be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

You can also specify if you played the game from the trial version or the full version and on which level you ended your game play, so that other players can get more out of this discussion !

If you are experiencing technical issues with this game, remember to check out the support thread for this game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!
bfgKenai

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re: Reviews for Mystical Island

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 10, 12 1:02 AM
Good morning, Fishies...

This review is based on the demo, which I only played partly through:

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is a choice of widescreen and full screen.

There is only one gameplay mode.

There is no voice-over.

There is no tutorial.

Basic HOG (hidden object game):
Find 12 items
Find 12 more items
Do a puzzle - there is no SKIP button, from what I have seen.

Then you get to the next scene and:
Find 12 items
Find 12 more items
Do a puzzle.

--- --- ---

I haven't seen any sparkles, but that's because there weren't any areas where you needed to see sparkles. This game seems to be more of the old-fashioned variety, and won't appeal to HOPA gamers, but will appeal to those peeps who enjoy straight HOGs.

The text translation into English could have been better, but is acceptable (to me).

I won't be buying this game - it was just too simple for me.

Happy Tuesday, everyone.

ETA: When I say that the English translation could have been better, but is acceptable, what I meant was that I understood what they were saying. My native language is not English, but I hope that other gamers will still know what I am talking about, even if I might get the odd thing wrong (grammar-wise, mainly).

So yes, for me the translation was acceptable, because I knew what they meant.

Edited on 01/10/2012 at 4:02:33 AM PST

lynwil
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by lynwil on Jan 10, 12 1:12 AM
Sorry, boring game - only of interest to someone starting out with hidden object games. I deleted it after 30 minutes.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jan 10, 12 1:15 AM
Ghastly game. Too much chit chat in boxes with numerous grammatical errors, music to drive you mad, annoying loading between scenes and NO SKIP button for the mini games.I'd never buy a game where I can't skip things.
Junk pile HOG scenes. 'Collect Joe's possessions'...a rubber duck, anchor, a crest (that looked more like a comb to me)!
I could only muster 30 mins of trial; gave up when I couldn't skip an annoying puzzle.
Might have been ok 5 years ago....

step54
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by step54 on Jan 10, 12 1:17 AM
I lasted 12minutes.

sandyterryb
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by sandyterryb on Jan 10, 12 1:22 AM
There is a skip button for most of the puzzles. The help button recharges in less than a minute. And a lot of the translation to english is really bad. The music was too repetative and turned it off very soon into the game. Basically I found it to be a very old type of HOG. Story line not bad but have read much better in the newer hogs. No interaction required at all. With nothing else to do but search through junk piles I became bored early into the game. A definate no buy here.

2easy
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by 2easy on Jan 10, 12 1:22 AM
Where did his a come from? Someone must have won it in a raffle.....boring is not the word!

60schild
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by 60schild on Jan 10, 12 1:29 AM
Good grief, let me count the ways....and none of them good!

And I respectfully disagree about the English language being "acceptable".....it was very embarrassing to even try to read.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 10, 12 1:47 AM
This game is from a dev I am not familiar with---HBM

As others indicate, it starts out very boring but gets some better as you move on. The problem is that the text translation is so bad (possibly the worst translation I have ever seen) that it confuses the whole story. Yes, you can figure out what to do because it's staightforward enough but you don't know why you're doing it. Normally the translation errors are really just kind of comical but these errors are incredibly bad. (How much could it cost to hire proofreaders or whatever?--it would so vastly improve the game!) I checked the credits and this team is from Russia and the games from that part of the world are usually much better with the translations.
There is an option for widescreen which when selected did nothing and when selected and declicking full screen results in windowed mode. But it's not a CE so no big deal.
The graphics are very well done--quite clear with beautiful scenery (later in the game)
The hidden object scenes are adequate, and the puzzles are interesting.
And in the help option is a detailed and complete strategy guide--a very nice surprise. The only problem is you have to go to the main menu to access it, then go back to the game.
I think this new dev team gave it a good try, but the terrible translation that results in such bad storytelling really holds it back. Nevertheless, I'll probably use a coupon to get it just to see the overall game and to support a new dev.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jan 10, 12 1:57 AM
Even though, I consider myself an advanced game player, I appreciate all games. With the exception of HdO games. LOL I like this game enough to get it with a punch card/COTW/DD. We get so many CE's, it's nice to see a SE for a change. No, it's not the quality were getting with CE's, but it's not that bad. IMO It is a simpler game for advanced players, and it is on the old fashion side of gaming, but I like it just fine. Graphics are a little blurry and the objects are a little hard to see. It's so nice just to have a different storyline, and I enjoy the story's in games. But worth trying and a buy for me with punch card. Enjoy! and give it a try for yourself. We all have different taste, and that's what make's life so great.

Yes: Widescreen
No: Voiceovers
Yes: Skip button on puzzles
Yes: Cursor option
No: Sparkles
No: Different modes of play.
No: Click penalty
Theme: Action Adventure

I rate this game: “PIGLET”
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games
‘ ‘
(o)

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jan 10, 12 2:00 AM
Hi everyone,

Just swimming by with a gentle reminder to reserve this thread for reviews only.

Any off-topic comments can be shared in the Comments thread for this game. As it looks like no Comments thread has been created yet, please feel free to do so in order to continue the discussion.

The moderation team will go ahead and remove any off-topic comments after this post.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

limey_scale
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by limey_scale on Jan 10, 12 2:02 AM
Lasted 30 mins and deleted. Too much dialogue, annoying music and bad English!
Crest = Comb, Chandilier=Candlestick, enough said

Nortank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by Nortank on Jan 10, 12 2:06 AM
The "English" in this game was really off-putting. Since also the clues were badly translated (find chandelier turns out to be a candle-stick), this is a no-buy for me - even with a cupon code.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 10, 12 2:19 AM
Addendum to the previous review:

I went back and checked the strategy guide and was really amazed as to the detailed page by page and step by step help that it offers--it adds a LOT to the desirability of the game. It is located in the "help" section of the main menu. A great idea, and a real surprise. And, amazingly, the guide has only a stray error or two in translation, unlike the text of the game itself.
But seriously, the guide is better than some of the ones I've seen in some recent CEs.
Kudos to the dev team for this addition to the game!

grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by grannyq on Jan 10, 12 2:20 AM
Besides being boring, I had to use the clunky custom cursor because I had to click in just the right spot to use the system cursor. This game is not up to my standards.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jan 10, 12 2:48 AM
No, sorry to the devs but they have to do a lot better than this to get my money. This game is just dull.

I must thank them for one thing though, and I hope they do not take it the wrong way because it is obvious that English is not their 1st language - the grammar in the dialogue is so hilarious that it really made me laugh, several times.

I suggest they buy a new dictionary or hire a better translator, which ever they are using because they have misnamed so many items. I played with the continual thought that I might be looking for something that is not there.

After 30 mins, I had to give up. I rarely buy standard hog games anyway, but if I do they have to have something interesting going for them. This one does not.

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Jan 10, 12 3:04 AM
I agree with most people here. This game isn't very good. It just goes for HOS to HOS and now and then throws in a mini game. The graphics aren't that great so they HOS have hard to find objects. It did have a very quck help button though. Filled up very quickly. Some of the minigames you couldn't get out of either, you had to do them even with the help button to help with every move. The rest of the minigames you could skip if you wanted. The storyline was a bit confusing and I kind of ignored it. The gameplay was more or less just obvious. (And I don't know why , if there was a glitch or what, but I got a 2 hr demi version for some reason.) Shhhhh....lol
I would rate this a 6 out of 10.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jan 10, 12 3:55 AM
Review based on 35 minutes of play.

- 1 gameplay mode
- Straight H0G
- Mini games in between, no skip, but easy puzzles
- No voiceovers
- Beautiful graphics
- H0 not too easy to find, small on a dark background
- List of objects to find and then picture of other objects (Not FR0G)
- Takes ages to load, even when you exit the game
- Strange spelling, even for a foreigner as I am (Roulette for measuring tape. crest for comb, horns for antlers, etc)

I suppose that some people will enjoy this game, if they like H0G after H0G with mini games in between but I found it boring. No buy.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jan 10, 12 4:15 AM
OMG !!!! I always make myself play the whole demo before making a judgement but just couldn't with this one. After 25 min. I had to quit.

The spelling and grammar are terrible in this. Then there are the names of items. I don't care what language it is, When is a comb a crest and a clock a trunk?

It's pretty much a straight up HOG with a lot of dialogue. The items to find are either very easy or impossible to find.

There is no skip on the mini games and very little instuction as to what they want you to do.

Abosultely no buy for me!

ruthb1146
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by ruthb1146 on Jan 10, 12 4:30 AM
(Removed by moderator)

Edited on 01/10/2012 at 5:02:26 AM PST

Go to: