textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

Comments for Mystical Island

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jan 10, 12 5:41 AM
A place for your comments about the game.

sonofstar
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

Re:Comments for Mystical Island

[Post New]by sonofstar on Jan 10, 12 9:06 AM
This game requres a glossary when trying to find HOs. Crest=comb, roulette=tape measure...and I'd just barely started before I hit a cursor glitch and couldn't go any further in the game.

Really, if you're not a native English speaker, find someone who is. The conversations were horrible. Stop trying to present English speakers in the game. Make them foreigners or something and make it obvious or hire someone for whom English is their first language to write the dialogue. It just gets in the way.

Linda_S_55
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by Linda_S_55 on Jan 10, 12 9:43 AM
Ditto Son. Terrible dialog and grammar are a big turnoff for me in games. I'm still on the fence about getting this one though. I have a credit but not sure if I want to use it on this. I have two other games on standby from Christmas. I think I'll add this game to that list for when I need to bring up the numbers for a credit.

Happy Gaming for those who do like this game enough to get it.
Linda.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jan 10, 12 10:52 AM
I laugh at the misnamed items. And because the game makes me laugh, I had to get it with a pcc Think I am going to have an interesting afternoon. I like that it has a guide built in, even though you have to exit to main menu to get to it, and I kinda was scratching my head at the instructions for the radio...but it wound up working, but still, it does have one, and I appreciate that they included it. The game does have an actual wide screen button, the dialogue is really hokey, and I am still laughing just thinking about that comb. I can somehow see that they might call it a crest...think ****'s comb called a red crest, lol. Oh yes, I am gonna have fun with this one

eta...rooster's thingee on top of it's head, lol. I can see even the auto mod has the ability to make me laugh today. Some days you have to make your own fun!

Edited on 01/10/2012 at 10:55:45 AM PST

AeronAoife
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by AeronAoife on Jan 10, 12 11:27 AM
After reading the reviews, I don't think this game will even be demoed by me. I don't mind straight HOG games but as a tech writer, bad grammar, misspellings, and misnamed objects make me cringe. If they are bad enough, it's like hearing fingernails scraping over my brain.

[Post New]by JirafaVanidosa on Jan 10, 12 12:24 PM
A few words about misnamed objects:
This new team is from Russia, I think. In Russian language a word "crest" (when it mean "rooster`s crest", "ridge", "wave crest" etc.) and a word "comb" are translated in dictionaries by the same word. Also for words "roulette" and "tape-measure" in Russian use the same word . And dictionaries not always explain differences in the use of these words, so can easily happen confusion and misunderstanding.

Edited on 01/10/2012 at 12:25:24 PM PST

[Post New]by sheilamilo on Jan 10, 12 1:28 PM
But seeing as BFG babies these games through, they should hire someone to translate into standard English.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jan 10, 12 1:32 PM
I just figured out why I enjoy games such as this one...I grew up on all those old Japanese movies with the dubbed in English, as well as all of those old 'spaghetti' westerns. I always found them hilarious, lol. And these remind me of them. I 'hear' the voices in my head

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Jan 10, 12 1:45 PM
I thought this game was annoying. I always mute the music, so have no idea how that was, but the sound effects when you find an object just annoyed me to no end. The English language was not what those of us speak English have terms for. The objects to find are on a books of bright white pages, against a somewhat dark background. Annoying again.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jan 10, 12 3:28 PM
Oh, y'all this is just too funny. How can you not laugh when you are looking for a 'Tommy', and realize it is a crowbar...after all, some people have been known to refer to one as a 'jimmy', so why not call it a tommy, lol...this game is hilarious

WENTPOSTAL
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by WENTPOSTAL on Jan 10, 12 4:53 PM
What a bunch of cry babies. it's a game. so they don't know all the names for some of the items. did you find them anyway. i like the game and all it's faults. no one is perfect and if you don't like don't buy but don't criticize some one else for making a game that isn't to your liking.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Jan 10, 12 11:19 PM
I have 1 minute left on the demo timer & if I can find out how long it is I will buy it when piggy fattens up a little I like the graphics so far and the guide is handy but you have to close game to see it.
I hope that I can work around the bumps and find it a pleasant challenge cause this one does not appear to be a 'hand holder' LOL
It is not a perfect game but neither was Cruise Clues: Caribbean Adventure with it's very abrupt ending

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jan 11, 12 12:44 AM
WENTPOSTAL wrote:What a bunch of cry babies. it's a game. so they don't know all the names for some of the items. did you find them anyway. i like the game and all it's faults. no one is perfect and if you don't like don't buy but don't criticize some one else for making a game that isn't to your liking.

Sorry, but this is a game forum and it is here so that BFG members can review the games. We aren't asked to only say 'nice things', else it would be pointless. I'm no cry baby! I reviewed the game after playing for 30 mins, which was 30 mins too long!
What's the point of searching for an object, if the object you are looking for is not the one listed? Just as well not have a list of HOS items, and aimlessly click on all and sundry.
We all have different tastes and expectations, and the forum is here for us to express them. I for one wouldn't play this game if it was free. I'm pleased for you though, that you enjoyed it. That's the whole point of playing games

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jan 11, 12 3:41 AM
What an absolute shame! If the part that I played, had not been in sepia, I would have had fun with this!
I can understand some frustration with the incorrect translation but a lot of the talking made me smile, as it was, what I call "broken English", I could almost imagine the accent, if only there had been a voiceover

I am sorry dev's, too little colour for me but with a little re-working, could be a nice game. I loved the fact that this standard price game, had an SG with it.

For anyone that decided to buy this, I really hope that you have fun with it.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Jan 11, 12 12:05 PM
WENTPOSTAL wrote:What a bunch of cry babies. it's a game. so they don't know all the names for some of the items. did you find them anyway. i like the game and all it's faults. no one is perfect and if you don't like don't buy but don't criticize some one else for making a game that isn't to your liking.

No one is critizing anyone. Perhaps you should change your ID to GONEPOSTAL. Geez.

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Jan 11, 12 1:50 PM
Hi fishies,

While you're free to disagree with one another, we'd ask that you please keep Forum Rule #1 in mind when posting:

*Treat others with respect. Harassing, attacking, threatening, provoking, calling unwanted attention to, name-calling, insulting, or bothering other users, moderators, or Big Fish Games employees on the forums will not be tolerated. Play nice.

Thanks!

-bfgHondo

lisa4862
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by lisa4862 on Jan 11, 12 4:43 PM
Yes, it is difficult to find objects that have been given the wrong translation, but for me, the worst part was that I couldn't see many of the objects because the colour is so monocromatic. Also, without proper instructions on the mini games, it's pretty difficult to play them. I tried it and my assessment is that it isn't worth the $7.

Go to: