bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for The Golden Years: Way Out West

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jan 11, 12 12:25 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of The Golden Years: Way Out West? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond and you can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the The Golden Years: Way Out West page here.

Have questions about our new reviews section? Please check this forum post and our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread. Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Re:Reviews for The Golden Years: Way Out West

[Post New]by FishForever on Jan 11, 12 1:42 AM
Glad to see it released on BFG today

I purchased this game on the dev's site few weeks ago and really enjoyed it It's a Time Management/Building game similar to Mogul series (the same developer) but this game has different theme set in American countryside (Cowboy theme?) which is really interesting and fun to play! The game is actually a mix of different genres, Time Management and also Strategy, not just plain TM/Building game that does not involve that much brainworks like some other ones. Each level you will be set several targets, in order to get Expert rank you will need to complete about half of the targets being set in the given time. Story of this game is also entertaining while graphics are lovely and beautiful, music are also pleasant, this is surely one of the best and relaxing TM/Building games to date (personally).

However, the game is a bit too short in my opinion and offer us only one mode of gameplay so those who looking for Relaxed Mode might not get what they want....

Sunrunner
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by Sunrunner on Jan 11, 12 2:17 AM
Meh, I may as well take a crack at this review thing.

I don't play many Strategy or TM games, with the notables exception of the TimeBuilders games, because I find the genres by turns boring or stressful, and I like to play games to DE-stress. However, because I took a shot on TimeBuilders and it turned out to be one of my favorite series ever, I occasionally take a foray into other games like it.

This one starts out slow, with lots of help from the tutorial should you choose to accept it - which I like a lot (what use is a tutorial that doesn't teach how best to play the game?). The beginning levels are, I found, easy peasy, with no worries about beating the clock - yet.

Graphics are cute - the introduction reminds me of the Sunday paper's color panel comics, and those colors are bright without being obnoxious, while the illustrations are crisp and clear. No blurriness or haziness to squint over, and when the main game starts, all the building are a nice size with distinct coloring of their own - makes the settlements look just as pretty when you really get going.

The narration is good in the intro, but starts to sound a bit stilted in the tutorial. The instructions provided for each stage of what has to be done are EXACT - no guesses here! The buildings are broken down by type, with Municipal (water towers) and Residential (covered wagons) being the ones you start off with, as the Town Hall is generously provided for you.

As you progress through the levels, a little more challenge is added each time. But everything is managed very nicely with minimal scrambling to get it all done before the clock runs down. Until you reach about level 6 or so - when the Stages are introduced. You'll have 4 goals for the level, and they have to be completed by a certain time on the clock to gain the Expert star - I only managed 2 stars out of the 4 at this point, but restarting the level & trying again is no problem.

This is where I got up to in the 30 minutes I've played, but I rather like this game so far, enough to put it on my 'To Buy' list. Doesn't look as long as the TimeBuilder's games, but I don't mind a shorter game in between the long ones that can end up dragging on. The story is entertaining enough, if a bit cookie cutter - I sorta expected the 'villain' to be twirling the requisite Snidely Whiplash moustache. Alas, I was disappointed by it's absence.

Sunrunner (needs )

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 11, 12 2:18 AM
I also gave this game a look-see at the devs site some time back.
Although the TM/srategy genre is not my first choice, there are some really clever ones out there that have caught my interest (and my money). But this is not one of them.
The tasks are more like chores and the fun factor slides away in a hurry.
The goals are not terribly clear and the learning curve does not appear that easy so there was a lot of early frustration for me and as a result I couldn't get too interested.
The scenery and graphics, however, were very appealing.
So not for me, but TM games have to really stand out to catch my interest and this one just didn't do that for me.
But everyone who likes these games should try it for themselves.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jan 11, 12 3:44 AM
I like this game very much. Its a good strategy game/ tm-game. Not the best one I have ever played, but its still a good game and a buy for me

simlady40
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by simlady40 on Jan 11, 12 3:53 AM
Hi

Is it just me but how come i cannot get past the 2nd level? How do you get up to 12,000??? I have built the water towers and upgraded the wagons to 3 star but cannot build anything else there is nowhere to build so how do i get the 12,000 to complete the level??

Thanks

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Jan 11, 12 4:42 AM
This is a very nice game with great graphics and voice overs. Your building up towns in the old west so the theme is a bit different and lots of fun. Some levels are challenging but you can always go back and replay the level if your not satisfied with your results. There are several different types of buildings to build along with doing side missions to complete your level. I've purchased the game and so far it's lots of fun and I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the levels have in store. A great game with lots to do and great and colorful graphics definitely worth the demo. Thank you Big Fish and developers for this great game and I hope to see more like this maybe a sequel dev's Great game give it a try it's well worth it.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 11, 12 6:18 AM
This review is based on the 1-hour demo:

There is a Trading Post that will allow you to sell and buy goods (similar to Royal Envoy's Market Place).

There is voice over.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is a tutorial, which you can turn off if you wish.

There is a timer, which later on gives you stages in which to complete certain tasks.
However, you can complete the tasks even after the timer has ran out.

You have your own train - from stage 10, I believe - which you can repair with each level you complete in the time given.

The graphics and well done, and the colours are vibrant.

There is a main building with workers, and you can buy more workers.

There are obstacles on the road to clear (wood to collect or potholes to fill, etc).

There are buildings to demolish, and new ones to build or upgrade or repair.

Rent is collected automatically.

You need to make sure there is a water tower close by where people live, otherwise you can't build homes for them.

--- --- ---

All in all, there is lots to do, and extras on the side. And, as mentioned, you can finish each level even after the timer has ran out.

What I didn't care for was the "knock knock knock" sound each time I clicked on a building. It can get tedious when you have to click on a lot of buildings to repair/build/upgrade them.

Otherwise, this is a nice game for those gamers who like this type of game.

[Post New]by sheilamilo on Jan 11, 12 10:15 AM
Valdy,

Would you say this game is closer to Royal Envoy than a typical TM/Builder game? I *love* RE, but not TM games.

Thanks for your many reviews - so many of us appreciate your views!

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jan 11, 12 10:26 AM
sheilamilo wrote:Valdy,

Would you say this game is closer to Royal Envoy than a typical TM/Builder game? I *love* RE, but not TM games.

Thanks for your many reviews - so many of us appreciate your views!

its a builder.ala RE...as opposed to a more tm game,

for all who love builders here is a thread with lots of suggestions
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/165507.page#3222863

so anywho, i got this game at the devs and really enjoyed it, its long, fun, cute graphics, and lots do too

lindiana
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by lindiana on Jan 11, 12 11:21 AM
I want to like this game....

At first I did not but after giving it another try because hey everyone else likes it, I decided to buy it.

I went HOG wild, literally, during the WINNER sale (Call me a pig, I got FOUR free game coupons for December) and I needed a break from them. I tried a few mentioned on the Chit Chat Thread "A NEW Love! Building Games from TMs" but most of those I have already purchased or I did not like the first time so I did not buy them then and won't now.

So I bought this one. Slap me sideways and call me a sucker but I need a TM game NOW!

Edited on 01/11/2012 at 1:06:55 PM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 11, 12 12:06 PM
Good reviews have gone before me so I will just say:

I love these stragegy/building games as the graphics are always crisp and clear to see and are done in quite bright colours and this game is no exception . They are a real treat for our eyes after playing dark, sometimes blurry, haunted houses and asylums so much and I, personally, can't get enough of them.

More games like this please devs and BFG .

Cherb

ETA ...

Well I have just finished this game and I thoroughly enjoyed it and, due to strategy being the key, I even managed to get expert on every level and that's a first for me and I hope that the comment at the end of the game means that there is another one being developed

I have no idea how long it took me to complete because I had to replay some levels to get my strategy right but one thing I am sure of and that is that it is well worth the money .

I repeat ...

More games like this please devs and BFG .

ETA 2 ...

For those wondering this game has 48 levels.

Edited on 01/17/2012 at 1:43:43 PM PST

[Post New]by Angie1001 on Jan 11, 12 12:54 PM
I really like this game!! I haven't been thrilled with the daily options in a while.. I'm a little burned out on "stop an ancient evil from destroying everything by finding a bagel and a paper clip" type of games.

This game is a nice change.. it's got a fun story line, and while I was worried it would be too much like the Build-a-Lot games, it's got a different style.

My favorite addition to this type of game is the timing of the game, and how you can achieve expert.. it's broken down into stages.. it's a different type of challenge and mixes it up a little bit.

Also - I love the voice overs, since that really sounds like the lady who voices Nancy Drew. (my favorite games!)

Thanks for breaking my losing streak with games! Having fun with this one!

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Jan 11, 12 1:09 PM
It's a cute game, however, I guess I'm to stupid to play it. I can't get past the 2nd level. I need to build 4 covered wagon stations, but the game won't let me, it says only for government buildings. Not that appealing I want to make a career of trying to figure what went wrong and why.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Jan 11, 12 1:10 PM
It's a cute game, however, I guess I'm to stupid to play it. I can't get past the 2nd level. I need to build 4 covered wagon stations, but the game won't let me, it says only for government buildings. Not that appealing I want to make a career of trying to figure what went wrong and why.

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Jan 11, 12 1:27 PM
Hi fishies,

I just wanted to remind everyone that this thread has been reserved for reviews of this game only. If you have a question related to another user's review, please feel free to contact that user directly (via PM) for clarification.

Also, if you have a question related to game play, we'd ask that you please start a new thread by clicking on the 'Create New Discussion' button on the main page of this Game Forum.

Thanks!

-bfgHondo

peutetre
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by peutetre on Jan 11, 12 2:21 PM
This is just a very odd game. Unlike most other games, there doesn't seem to be an overall strategy that, once you figure it out, it helps you beat later levels. Each level of the game is entirely different from the next. Some levels are very, very easy and can be finished in a matter of seconds (literally). Others are completely mystifying (I'm on one now . . . )

You learn a lot through trial and error--like somehow a church supplies water to lots of houses--go figure. Most levels have to be replayed to be able to move on simply because you finally figure out how the heck you're supposed to meet your goals.

Do I like it? Not sure yet. I bought it largely because it wasn't a hidden object game . . . but also because it seemed like it was varied enough to hold my interest.

I will say that I'm getting tired of the heroine just paying off these thieves!!!!

catja
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by catja on Jan 11, 12 2:32 PM
I am a huge fan of TM and strategy games. This game is nice to play, but too short and too easy for a players who play a lot of TM and strategy games. I finished the whole game in 11 hours. But nevertheless, it was fun playing it

cstdenis
Salmon
Salmon
2,948 Posts

[Post New]by cstdenis on Jan 11, 12 2:59 PM
I played the one hour trial and really enjoyed it.
It is a bit different from your typical Strategy/builder game in that you have several goals for each level, called stages. You don't know what future stages will require when you start a level, but I kind of like that. I like to guess at what I think they will be looking for. You really have to use your head to figure out how to get gold stars on each stage. I'm the kind of person that can't move on if I miss even one gold star, so I will go back and do a level multiple times until I get a gold star on every stage.

I'm not sure I like the voice-overs, because it sounds like Nancy Drew is telling me what to do and I get distracted.
The other thing that bugs me a bit is it is hard to tell what you need to get certain items. For example, if I want to upgrade a house, I can upgrade the population or the rent. It must show me somewhere how much it increases the rent, but I find the text kind of small. I also finally figured out that you need a certain population to hire more workers, not just money. I had to look at the little graphic several times to see that...in the meantime, the time is ticking away. I guess it will get easier to read the more I play.

Another thing I would like to see is how much area a water tower will cover. I find myself building a water tower, then seeing that it doesn't affect a lot that I thought it would, so I have to demolish and build it somewhere else. If there was some kind of glow on the lots it affected when you were getting ready to build, that would be very helpful.

I will be purchasing this one as it is just enough different from your standard strategy/tm/builder to keep my interest. Plus, I think there is replay value here.

...Even if Nancy Drew's voice haunts my dreams forever.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Jan 11, 12 4:42 PM
cstdenis wrote:<snip>Another thing I would like to see is how much area a water tower will cover. I find myself building a water tower, then seeing that it doesn't affect a lot that I thought it would, so I have to demolish and build it somewhere else. If there was some kind of glow on the lots it affected when you were getting ready to build, that would be very helpful.

This is my reply on another thread titled "water tower"
mcurty wrote:To see which lots a water tower will cover:

Click on the building site, on the lower bar highlight the water tower, there will be a dotted flashing line around the building spots it will cover if you build it in that spot.

This works for all municipal buildings.

This is a fun strategy/TM game that includes more strategy than just a lot of clicking. I thought it was very easy in the beginning levels, but the levels get harder as you progress through the game.

The story is done very well and much better than most TM type games. The different characters made me laugh at times and some seemed rather out of place with the environment, but it didn't bother game play.

The tutorial was too brief and didn't explain enough. I played for quite awhile before I understood how the municipal buildings really worked and found the dotted line to help with planning.

This game is a great break from the dark and dreary games and will provide several hours of fun play.

Go to: