wndf
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

Level 29 gold & money

[Post New]by wndf on Jan 12, 12 9:11 AM
Hi,

How to make 1,500,000 money and 1,000 gold in level 29 in gold star time? I don't even get close (about 40%)...

---

Ok, I made the money and gold for the third star in time (using the trading post of course; forgot about that), but now to get the double amounts for the vilain seems again very hard. Hmph, I HAVE to get the full four stars, so I will start over again, just trading even more frantically. Let me know if anyone knows a more elegant way...

Edited on 01/12/2012 at 9:25:47 AM PST

wndf
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

Re:Level 29 gold & money

[Post New]by wndf on Jan 12, 12 9:44 AM
Ok, figured it out (not too hard, actually):

I built the lowest bridge first, to have access to the trading post as soon as possible. I think I managed to trade wood for money twice before having to finish the other two bridges (in time). Then I built one bank and waited as long as I could with the second - actually third. In the mean time trading and trading. After I built the third bank; I immediately built a fourth (on the top row, where the house is). And instead of trading wood, I started trading gold until I had over 1,500,000 money. Then kept collecting gold. When going for the last star, I built a fifth bank and traded gold for money as often as the train allowed me to. Made it just in time.

kaylee2
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by kaylee2 on Jan 13, 12 6:59 AM
thanks wndf, forgot about the trading post as well, gonna give it another try again to get all gold lol

Edited on 01/13/2012 at 6:59:44 AM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jan 15, 12 8:09 PM
Phew! This has been the most interesting one so far for me, as far as trying to get all the stars is concerned.

I was trying to do it by myself but was really surprised that I hadn't noticed anyone else posting about it so, after I lost count of the number of times I had just missed either star 3 or star 4, I did a search out of curiousity, not intending to read anyone else's walkthrough yet, just to keep any threads open in my browser.

But I did read the bit in post 2 about making access to the Trading Post a priority. That turned out to be the only thing I needed to change. I had been making that the 1st bridge, but not straight away.

I guess I really needed that extra trade at the beginning . Thanks very much for that Wndf

I was still cutting it very close so I read the rest of your post to see if I could do it faster your way. I was already holding off completing each stage until the last minute each time (to do more work in advance for the next stage) but I hadn't tried building the extra 2 banks (I had been building extra hotels to try to up the money).

I kept forgetting that I wanted to hold onto the gold a bit to allow interest to build up - was selling it too early - so I wasn't doing all that well until I made a very helpful mistake .

I accidentally used the wrong button and built an extra trading post when I wanted a bank! That gave me the idea that an extra railroad station could be handy - could trade more often and make the money selling more wood and less gold.

I ended up with my best time (amount of yellow left) at the end of stage 4 by still using your idea to the extent of having 1 extra bank but, before that (as soon as I could) I built an extra trading post next to the one the game provides. That made the biggest difference of all, because I could keep making wood and reach the money goals mainly made from wood trades, with just the odd 1 or 2 gold trades when had plenty of gold and was almost at money goal. Then the extra bank helped with the gold.

I still built 1 new hotel to get the population necessary for having 12 workers, so I had to sacrifice the saloon to get the 4th bank, but by then the banks were making more than the saloon. I made a lot of wood and I did use the gold mine but that tended to be 6 workers at a time. I didn't like having all 12 tied up for that long.

Thanks again for the thread. It made this level even more interesting than it already was .

Edited on 01/15/2012 at 8:15:29 PM PST

whrlwnd
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by whrlwnd on Jan 16, 12 9:03 AM
Argh! I can't get that 3rd star. I've done it so many times I've lost count. After about the 15th try I broke down and peeked in this thread. I understand what y'all are saying, but it's still not working for me on that 3rd star, but you have helped me master the 4th star. Thank you.

If I may ask, how many hotels total did you build, and did you upgrade them at all? I'm just not getting the cash fast enough, even using the trading posts.

I will not give up, I will get this no matter how long it takes me.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jan 16, 12 10:38 AM
whrlwnd wrote:I will not give up, I will get this no matter how long it takes me.

Glad to see I'm not alone in taking that kind of a stand with any game with bonuses to earn . I hope this level is giving you a fun challenge but stopping short of taking you to frustration point .

I'm also glad that you are not asking for a step by step guide because this level would be hard to do that way (difficult to remember and play all the steps exactly the same way every time).

whrlwnd wrote:If I may ask, how many hotels total did you build, and did you upgrade them at all? I'm just not getting the cash fast enough, even using the trading posts.

I'll go and look at the level and see if I can work out how, many hotels I must have had in total without replaying it (because I can't remember my full strategy so, even if I was able to stick around and replay it just now, I'd probably take too many attempts to get all the stars again).

Edited on 01/16/2012 at 11:39:19 AM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jan 16, 12 11:35 AM
I think that (the time when I had extra time left over at the end, as well as getting all stars), I must have only added 1 hotel.

I would only have upgraded it if that was necessary (population-wise) for topping up to a total of 12 workers because that was my only reason for building the hotel.

I think this is how I must have used the spaces:
Wagon at bottom left replaced by 2nd trading post (asap!),

House and wagon on top row replaced by 2 banks (held off the 2nd of those until last minute for stage 2 - spent the spare time trying to get ahead for the next stage)

Wagon on middle row replaced by hotel (I can't remember at what point I was able to do that, sorry!).

The last building thing I did (again not sure at exactly what stage) was to replace the saloon with an extra bank (got that idea from Wndf ).

I think that how quickly you get going at the start (and how much you can manage to achieve before building that 2nd new bank, which ends stage 2) will make the difference between a star for stage 3 and just missing it:

Things to do a.s.a.p right at the start (you have enough workers to do all this simultaneously):
Fix lowest bridge (make this your very first click!)
Pick up the obstacle blocking the bank
Pick up the obstacle blocking the hotel and saloon at the bottom
Kick off production of 3000 wood

I am pretty sure that, along with building the 2nd trading post and making more wood, I treated getting access to the gold mine as the next priority and left the middle bridge to be the one only fixed just as time about to run out on stage 1. The first train arrived very quickly too.

I kept my wood stocks up. I was eventually mining gold too, but not letting the mining diminish my wood stocks enough to interfere with wood sales. Every time a train arrived, I sold 1000 wood at the best price. I tried not to keep a train waiting (sooner it goes, sooner it comes back).

Once you get all that going as efficiently as possible, it's about judging when to finally sell some gold to meet the money goal without screwing up the gold goal to do it (the longer you keep the gold the more quickly the interest mounts). I needed 1 or 2 gold sales right towards the end of each of St3 & St4 part to give the money goals a boost. I think it was always 100 gold sold for $400,000 so it was a good boost!

I hope some of this helps .

Edited on 01/16/2012 at 11:40:10 AM PST

whrlwnd
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by whrlwnd on Jan 16, 12 4:37 PM
Daisy May, you are so sweet to be so helpful.

I'm afraid that today I've tried it so many times that I have become a bit frustrated. So, I'm taking a break from level 29 for now. I've moved on to the other levels. Surprisingly, they are not as challenging for me as this one is.

I haven't read your detailed help just yet, because I still want to see if I can at least figure out what I'm doing or not doing that's getting me stuck. It seems like I can't get a pattern down, because of having to pick up gold from so many commercial buildings. That seems to be wrecking my concentration on the cash part.

Maybe tomorrow I'll have better luck. Thanks for your help.

whrlwnd
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by whrlwnd on Jan 17, 12 5:37 AM
Yes it did help, Daisy May!

Whoo Hoo! I finally got that 3rd star!

This morning I started again. I used a couple of your placement suggestions. I'd mis-read one of the earlier posts yesterday and had been doing something totally silly that had been wasting time & money & wood.

For me it took 4 hotels(w/out upgrades), 4 banks and the 2 side-by-side trading posts , and 12 workers. Having the trading posts next to each other made a big difference for me! When I finally figured out that's all I needed, and built the 4th hotel and the 4th bank at the very beginning of that 3rd stage, then all I had to do was concentrate on mining gold, milling wood & selling it, and collecting gold from the 4 banks for the rest of the 3rd stage.

Thank you so much for your help. I could not have done this one w/out your help.

Edited on 01/17/2012 at 5:38:23 AM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jan 17, 12 6:26 AM
YAY !!! & you're welcome .

I couldn't have managed it myself without Wndf's (ETA) build 1st bridge immediately tip, and then couldn't have managed it in less of a last minute rush without the extra bank tip (thanks again Wndf for both ).

Maybe someone will come along next who takes a bit from each of the 3 solutions in here and merges them into a 4th successful way .

ETA I'm trying to see where you managed to fit 4 hotels - did you knock down the saloon and the general store for that 4th bank and 4th hotel?

Edited on 01/17/2012 at 8:02:47 AM PST

whrlwnd
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by whrlwnd on Jan 17, 12 7:17 AM
Yes I did.

Part of my problem was that I & my workers were spread too thin trying to collect gold from so many commercial bldgs, and I would be so focused on getting to those that I'd either forget or not have enough workers to mill & mine at the same time. So, for me the trick was how to get the most ready cash & gold with the least amount of "clicks" & conversion. Since the hotels provided me w/ instant cash, and banks (eventually) provide more gold than the store & saloon ever would, I finally figured out the combination of bldgs that would work best for me.

The funny part was "the star" took me by complete surprise. I hadn't been watching the time or totals. I had just been following the pattern...and suddenly (!) the level was over and there was a star! So, I didn't even see how close it was to the end of the level. I do know I hadn't begun to hear the ticking of the clock, yet, so I guess that means it wasn't the very last minute.

The adventurous side of me is tempted to try it again so I can see where the clock was, and see if my success was a fluke, but the chicken side of me is afraid it was a fluke, and I won't be able to duplicate it.

Edited on 01/17/2012 at 7:26:21 AM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jan 17, 12 8:00 AM
Oh go on................. go for it! (I'm going to!)

& thanks for the info . I have to go and do less interesting things now but I am going to try it your way another day - see if I get more time left in stage 3 than I got before (I wasn't at the 'ticking' stage but there wasn't much, if any, yellow showing either. Not for St3 anyway. I had plenty time left in St4).

And an etiquette oops from me - I should have credited Wndf with the build first bridge immediately thing too which is how I got all stars the first time (without an extra bank).

Sorry Wndf, I had forgotten that in my later enthusiasm over your extra bank idea.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jan 17, 12 9:31 PM
I tried your way Whrlwnd but I went further on hotels (5 in total, no upgrades) by having just 3 banks. By the time I had the extra train idea, I had already switched from using lots of hotels and hadn't tried extra train with extra hotels before today.

5 hotels allows 18 workers - 4 on sawmill or repairs, 12 on gold mine and 2 collecting at banks.

& I made a new (to me) discovery: As soon as you have access to the existing hotel, you can buy 2 more workers! That meant that by making the middle bridge my 2nd one (& building it early then demolishing the wagon) I was able to start building my 1st new hotel during St1 and build the 3rd bridge at the same time (without extra workers, I would have run out of time for the bridge because the hotel took all 7 workers).

That meant another extra 4 workers could be bought right at the start of St2. Which, in turn, meant that, after building one new bank, I was able to build another 3 hotels before I built the 3rd bank for the St2 goal. Had to work fast at St1 & St2 and had to be careful to keep wood production up (or miss a sale opportunity if wood getting low) but it was possible.

All those hotels at end St2, meant able to buy 5 more workers right at the start of stage 3 and already had all my buildings in place. (I managed this again a few times in a row afterwards and sometimes even had time to start buying some of the last lot of extra workers before end of St2, so it wasn't a fluke ).

(Not that I am obsessed with beating my own times or anything )

In stage 3, I sold wood at first (but not whenever selling too much would slow down gold production) & concentrated on making wood and gold (in 100s due to extra workers) over and over. When I had over 700 gold (having let it build up 1st for interest purposes), I sold 1 or 2 lots (depending on how money looked) of 100 gold @ $400,000. That + rent took care of the stage 3 money goal and one more lot of mining + bank interest took care of the gold one.

Finished stage 3 comfortably (best attempt was between 1/4 and 1/3 of the time left).

For stage 4 the gold goal was already well on the way and getting high interest so I sold gold right from the start of this stage, but kept up with the mining (not sawmill - had enough wood by then) so as to not miss the gold goal.

I had the amounts with half the stage 4 timer left but lost time expecting the game to just notice I'd got it all, as it does in stage 3 .

whrlwnd
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by whrlwnd on Jan 19, 12 5:07 AM
Wow, that's fantastic, Daisy May! You made great time.

I've tried this level a few more times, but I haven't beaten my original (successful) time yet. Although, I have been able to complete it a couple more times, not consistently though. At least I've proven to myself that the first time wasn't a total accident. I'll have to try it using your newest method and see how that works for me.

I must say...Level 29 proved to be the most difficult level for me by far. There were a few other levels that gave me a bit of a challenge, but none of them took as many attempts to master as this one did.

It's been fun playing this level with you.

[Post New]by ironic_beauty197 on Mar 30, 12 5:49 PM
I also went back through this game to get all the stars on every lvl but was seriously stuck on lvl 29. Reading through this thread was really helpful but I still had to do the lvl about 10 more times before I got the needed gold and $ for star #3.

This is what I did:

First star bridges; Started the first bridge right off and 3k wood. When the first bridge was done I began to sell wood through the trading post but instead of making the second trading post next to the first one I knocked down the wagon settlement and built a hotel to generate more revenue from the general store on the same line. I knocked down the house on the top line and built the second trading post all the while continuing to make wood. I hired the two extra workers right off the bat to gather the gold from the businessess and never slow down wood production. Built the second and third bridge right before time was up and had a good amount of $ from selling wood from both trading posts.

Second star banks; This is the lvl where you can do a good bit of extra stuff before time is up. The extra hotel allows more workers to be hired so you can start gathering gold from the mine. I never did more than 50 at a time so it wouldn't chew up my wood. I continued to make as much wood as possible and sell it through the trading posts. Since the hotel is on the same line as the general store it makes more $ than the saloon by now. I knocked down the saloon and built another bank. I also built banks across the bridges on the top and second lines.

Third star gold & $; With all the banks making a good bit of gold I knocked down the general store and built another bank. I never stopped gathering 50 gold from the mine and 3k wood from the sawmill. I never upgraded any hotel but just continued to gather gold from the banks and sell wood through the trading posts. About 3/4 the way through the 3rd star I had more than enough gold and my banks were making well over a 100 gold a piece. I then sold just gold through the trading posts to get the last bit of $ fast.

Fourth star pay off Van der Horn; By this time my banks were generating over 1k good a piece so I just sold gold through the trading posts and got the needed $ fast. Since you only sell 30 gold at a time it never depleted my stocks very much but gave about 400k each time.

Hope this helps!

Go to: