bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jan 13, 12 12:21 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond and you can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts page here.

Have questions about our new reviews section? Please check this forum post and our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread. Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 13, 12 12:25 AM
Good morning, Fishies...

This review is based on the CE, which I bought in the sale, so just ignore the parts that are for the CE:

I think this game is very cleverly done.

The graphics, although they could have been better, are acceptable to me. Not too keen on the glaring light scenes in the mirror images, but the HOS (hidden object scenes) in them are very clear and objects are easy to find.

HOS in general, although some of them are a little crowded, are well done, with objects not hard to find.

There is a choice of system and custom cursor, and an option to tick a box for slower computers.

There is voice-over.

When you are done with an area, a sign comes up at the top, telling you that the "Area is cleared". I like that. Keeps me from sniffing around the ground and corners again and again, in case I may have missed something.

SLIGHT SPOILER

I said this was a cleverly done game, because I like the fact that you can get objects in the past, and then have to hide it, and get it back in the present.

I also like what you have to do with some of the paintings in order to get something done or get an object from the painting itself.

END OF SLIGHT SPOILER

I also like the mini games I have encountered - they were different from the norm, and I managed to do them.

HINT and SKIP buttons fill quickly - always a plus.

CE only: I also like the SG (strategy guide). You only get one line of instructions, but when you click on the sideways arrow, more info comes up. And then there are these little squares, which turn into a picture when you click on those.

The instructions on how to use the SG is at the bottom of the SG. Really liked it this way.

One last thing for those fishies who wonder if it only happens to them: When I click "Play" on the GM (game manager), the GM says bye-bye before the game starts, but the GM will reappear once you exit the game.

--- --- ---

Just wanted to add that this was a really interesting and fun game to play. I didn't enjoy the glaring ghost world - always had to change the brightness of my laptop. But apart from that, I really loved the game. Very unique and lots of things to do.
And... it looks like there will be a sequel to this game.

Edited on 01/13/2012 at 12:44:50 AM PST

catzzz666
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by catzzz666 on Jan 13, 12 8:16 AM
'Played for 15 mins and bought it! Wtg [removed by moderator] for another classy game. Wonderful graphics, spooky atmostphere. Good voice overs. What I REALLY loved, was the fact that apart from having a choice on whether to Play "Casual" or Expert mode, there is also a "Custom" mode where I got to choose how fast or slow I wanted the hint recharge, or do I want on screen tips or not...Brilliant!!!! I'm a very happy fishy today! High 5 [removed by moderator]!

Edited on 01/14/2012 at 12:12:42 AM PST

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jan 13, 12 11:32 AM
I have been waiting for the SE! Yay! Not because I didn't enjoy the CE but can't afford every CE Hubby would have a fit

I like the set up for this game. Very different being able to travel from this world to the ghost world. The hidden object scenes can be a bit of a struggle but the mini games are very unique.

I read the reviews for the CE and they were a lot of critical ones. I am happy I waited and can now get this with a coupon but I did have it on my wish list anyway.

Thanks again to [removed by moderator] and Bid Fish for feeding my addiction

Edited on 01/14/2012 at 12:12:52 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 13, 12 11:52 AM
bratzgram wrote:I have been waiting for the SE! Yay! Not because I didn't enjoy the CE but can't afford every CE Hubby would have a fit

I read the reviews for the CE and they were a lot of critical ones. I am happy I waited and can now get this with a coupon but I did have it on my wish list anyway.

I also wanted to wait for the SE, but then, for Christmas, there was a CE sale on here, so I bought this game as a CE but for the SE price.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Jan 13, 12 2:30 PM
I nearly bought this game, I liked it. I found some of the hidden objects way to hard to find. I'm not willing to spend that much time, and have to use hints, and wait for it to refresh. The hint button does refresh pretty quickly, but it seemed I needed it for more than one hidden object. Enjoy. It's looks like a great game, except for the hidden objects.

cyndrap
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by cyndrap on Jan 13, 12 5:43 PM
I really enjoyed the demo and Valdy's sight spoiler is a great additional feature in the game - liked this different approach
story line is a little choppy
but the game play is fine
a buy for me !!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jan 14, 12 2:32 PM
I don`t like this game very much. I haven`t bought the CE and I doubt I will buy even the SE from this game. I don`t like the graphic, storyline. Overall a game for me to skip.

dianaluna
Herring
Herring
339 Posts

[Post New]by dianaluna on Jan 14, 12 4:29 PM
I just played nearly all of the demo. Yes, it's a bit more clever than average, but the **** scenes are way too dark. I adjusted brightness and contrast to max--maybe it's my monitor, but I was just clicking dark areas hoping for the best. Though I laud the dems for the idea of hiding & returning objects, I was already sort of tired of that by the end of the demo. For me--a no-buy.

lildawnie
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by lildawnie on Jan 15, 12 9:43 AM
One thing I have noticed with all the games I play that have dark scenes, Play it in the dark. Back lighting from your living area, or daylight will make it more difficult to find things in the dark scenes.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Jan 15, 12 10:08 AM
Very interisting game, but lately the main topic of most of the games are "Ghosts", frankly I am getting a bit tired of it, but I got the game anyway for the unusual switch between the two realm, seen before in another couple of games, but this one is different, making hiding objects in one location's realm to find it again in the other realm, it seems, somehow, not too smart, indeed, but unfortunatly there is not walktrhough to ceck the whole games, anyway I found, based on the demo, that it's worth play it, for the good story, graphics and the relaxing "mantra" music, which it suites the game quite well!

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jan 16, 12 5:08 PM
Another game I thoroughly enjoyed and hated to see end! I must be on a winning streak! LOL. Refreshingly different and I really like moving between worlds and hiding inventory items so I could pick them up later. HOGs were not overwhelming, in fact I forgot there were HOGs until one popped up. They were easy and the skip button refreshed quickly. Only con was some of the scenes were really dark and it made it hard to see some items. Definately a 5 game!

iamlindy
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by iamlindy on Jan 16, 12 8:38 PM
I kind of like this game, but have not finished the demo as I wanted to make sure I read the reviews for the game. I am really surprised there are only 11 so far. Usually there are pages and pages of them by the time I play a game I have downloaded. I don't get to them very quickly. I am not totally sure about this one. I feel like the hiding things then getting them back is a neat twist on things but to do it almost right away after you have found and hidden them just seems a bit of a waste. I mean I built the wall then I tear it down right away? I like games that flow from area to area and you have to return to them many times so you can do more. With this one you are finished once you have done present/past. Although I can see why it might be an enjoyable part of the game. I will go back and play more and then see if I get tired of doing that present/past bit. The scenes are nicely done, very nice to look at and quite detailed. The hint system is really good. Finding things in the glare of the past is not so much fun though. Well off I go to try again.

meb28
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts spoiler alert!!!!!

[Post New]by meb28 on Jan 17, 12 2:38 PM
I played the SE version of this game and it wasn't too bad. Not the best I've ever played but not bad. Graphics were cool. Voiceovers nice. The one thing that bugged me was the lack of explanation as to why wife number one is haunting house and has murdered the solicitor and the second wife and I'll assume the husband? Other than that not bad for what I paid for it. and will be on the lookout for a sequel.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Jan 17, 12 8:24 PM
Just finished the SE and enjoyed it very much. I too would have liked to know just why the haunting took place and although the ending tied things together, it never explained this. I thought it was a very unusual approach of an old subject. I hope there is a sequel or at least something of the same kind to look forward to. The hint system was very good and a walkthrough was not needed. Graphics excellent.

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Jan 18, 12 1:25 AM
I tried the CE of this and wasn't grabbed. I found the ghost realm aspect a bit annoying and couldn't get the hang of hiding stuff.

Then I tried again on the SE and got hooked! It is, after all, a REALLY good game, and a fun one. Not too hard, quite a relaxing play. Puzzles are varied and I would say on the whole fairly simple and logical. The hint button is quite useful as well. It was longer than I had originally expected, I would say just over 4 hours for me.

Good storyline, graphics good, music non-intrusive. Just about the right amount of H0 scenes as to not drive me mad. I used a PCC to buy this game and was not disappointed.

On another note, does anyone know why devs always seem to have graphics of bits of ribbons tied to trees/ fences etc? I know there was one outside the porch on this game, and I'm certain there was one hanging around in Keepers: The Lost Progeny when I played last week... I blame ERS for this They always have that darned red ribbon in every game and I STILL always think "good, let's collect some ribbon" and can't

Edited on 01/18/2012 at 1:26:35 AM PST

Safarri
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by Safarri on Jan 18, 12 4:25 AM
Safarri wrote:
iamlindy wrote:I kind of like this game, but have not finished the demo as I wanted to make sure I read the reviews for the game. I am really surprised there are only 11 so far. Usually there are pages and pages of them by the time I play a game I have downloaded. I don't get to them very quickly. I am not totally sure about this one. I feel like the hiding things then getting them back is a neat twist on things but to do it almost right away after you have found and hidden them just seems a bit of a waste. I mean I built the wall then I tear it down right away? I like games that flow from area to area and you have to return to them many times so you can do more. With this one you are finished once you have done present/past. Although I can see why it might be an enjoyable part of the game. I will go back and play more and then see if I get tired of doing that present/past bit. The scenes are nicely done, very nice to look at and quite detailed. The hint system is really good. Finding things in the glare of the past is not so much fun though. Well off I go to try again.

ditto. your review matches my thoughts in every way. So much so that I decided to ditto rather than post. thank you. I've not made up my mind about buy and always use the reviews as part of my decision.

[Post New]by Fontleroy on Jan 18, 12 3:31 PM
How do you open the atrium door, I'm stumped. Like the game and went through all kinds of trouble to get it downloaded. But how do I get through that door? Would appreciate help if anyone cares to answer. Thank you!

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Jan 18, 12 4:59 PM
Hi Fontleroy,

Welcome to the pond! I just wanted to let you know that this thread has been reserved for reviews of this game only.

If you're looking for game help, the best thing to do is start a new thread by clicking on the 'Create New Discussion' button at the top of the main page of the Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts Forum.

Good luck and happy gaming!

-bfgHondo

Edited on 01/18/2012 at 5:01:32 PM PST

[Post New]by Bamafish on Jan 18, 12 9:32 PM
I bought this game and liked the concept, but thought it was way to easy for advanced players. I played the game on the custom mode, and never had to use any hints or a walkthrough. I am certainly no genius or expert, but had very little difficulty with the hidden objects, or figuring out what to do and how to do it. I think it was a good game, but would have been a lot better to me, if it had been more challenging.

Go to: