bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Witches' Legacy: The Charleston Curse Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jan 19, 12 12:15 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Witches' Legacy: The Charleston Curse Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Witches' Legacy: The Charleston Curse Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Rose151
Clownfish
Clownfish
520 Posts

Re:Reviews for Witches' Legacy: The Charleston Curse Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Rose151 on Jan 19, 12 12:32 AM
I have played the first 30 minutes of the game.
The graphics are sharp, the sound and voices are clear, and the *** scenes are filled enough to make one look, but they aren't overcrowded.
All things considered, this will be a buy for me.
Haven't come across any [removed by moderator] (sp) games before but this developer put a lot of work into this product.

Edited on 01/19/2012 at 1:09:15 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jan 19, 12 1:05 AM

Its a good spooky HOG with some real actors featured, includes nice voice overs and interactive object search scenes.

Beats me why anyone would want the screen saver scenes, though. Run-down and dirty.

- I'm planning to get the SE.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jan 19, 12 1:05 AM
Looks like the same developer made Fear For Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor and Fear For Sale: Sunnyvale Story.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jan 19, 12 1:11 AM
It walks like a "Drawn", it talks like a "Drawn", it behaves like a "Drawn" - so it's a "Drawn" (not)... But the Karma of Drawn is here...

Good graphics, helpful hint system (out of the HOS), interesting plot. 4 chapters and a bonus chapter - total 41 pages (30 the main plot, 11 the bonus). Don't know if it's short or long (average 50 pages in the SG, here 41). Needed a review from someone who played the whole game.

I liked it.

Thanks, developers, thanks BF!

[Post New]by BarraCuba on Jan 19, 12 1:14 AM
Great Game !!

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Jan 19, 12 1:15 AM
Great game ... liked the graphics which were very clear and a new storyline for me.

Have to purchase this game to find out how it ends lol. SG keeps your place. This game looks like an eerie one and had a few mini games I had not seen before.

Hope this is a nice long game. Will check back for the expert reviewers.

( there is a snake that shows up in the demo fyi)

Happy gaming

WOW this game was amazing... I just finished and I got my monies worth for sure. As elldee stated this is a real step up, I totally agree I cant wait for this devs next game.

I am a really slow player and got lost alot but had tons of fun.

Edited on 01/19/2012 at 6:45:00 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jan 19, 12 1:16 AM
I beta tested this game and I couldn't wait for it to come out. I Love it! Now with this said...I know I'm tired of all the dark and scary games. And of course the same old car drives up to a haunted mansion and there are ghost. ect...ect..ect. The same thing over and over again. BUT... this game has the BEST animation's I've ever seen in any game. They do things that have never been done before. This is a must have game just for the animations alone. Of course we've seen the story been done so many time's, but we haven't seen this kind of animations. Just the best, so it's worth the buy to me. IMO this is a must have game. Not for the story,but for the graphics and animations. Great Job developers! Well Done!Thanks

Yes: Voiceovers
Yes: Widescreen/Full screen
Yes: Custom Cursor
Yes: 2 modes of play/regular and expert
Yes: Music/Sound/Voiceover separate
Yes: Journal
Theme: Haunted Mystery

I rate this game: “FINE SWINE”
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jan 19, 12 1:19 AM
Just LOVE this game! Fantastic graphics, special effects, music, HOG scenes.....
Wish they were all as good as this one.
Can't wait for full game to D/L. Luckily I've a day off today, so shall play this one to the end.
Oh joy...thank you BFG! You've made my day :-)))

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jan 19, 12 1:25 AM
care__916 wrote: Hope this is a nice long game. Will check back for the expert reviewers.

Your reviews on games are expert...IMO!

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jan 19, 12 1:30 AM
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to pop in and ask you to please reserve this thread for reviews only.

For comments on an individual's review, please PM the user directly.

I can also recommend joining the thread Comments for Witches' Legacy:The Charleston Curse.

The moderation team will go ahead and remove off-topic comments after my reminder to ensure other fishies will have an easier time navigating through all the reviews in this thread.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

Edited on 01/19/2012 at 1:43:00 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 19, 12 1:45 AM
From the same dev that brought us the Fear for Sale games comes this fantastic new title that LovetoMissLisa sums up very nicely. All that Lisa said I agree with----especially as it concerns the graphics and the animation. (Hey, Lisa, at least the car got to where it was going without slipping off the road or crashing or going out of control to avoid some mysterious item, etc.)
I thought the hidden object scenes were great with nifty little interactive portions unlike others I have seen.
The puzzles were different and fun without being overly difficult.
Although we have seen many haunted houses, ghosts, etc., this game was different enough because of the new, fresh, and innovative approach this dev used as their games continue to improve.
And yes, the widescreen option worked fine for me, opening on the entire screen and making the game so much more attractive. (Their first Fear game did not, their second Fear game and this one DO so that tells me that these devs are doing all they can to improve their games and pay attention to the details---great job)
I hope some of the other devs are paying attention and learning from devs like this that show the way.
As Lisa says, this one is a must have----highly recommended!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jan 19, 12 1:58 AM
Played 20 minutes of the demo, which is my average time for a demo (always play regular when I demo)

- 2 play modes Regulard and Expert
- Journal
- Integrated SG which only shows 2 chapters in the sample
- Voiceovers
- Good music
- H0, you interact
- Hint and skip buttons fill quickly
- Mini games are good if nothing new
- Excellent graphics
- Very good animations played by actors
- Good story

After 20 minutes this game was a buy for me

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 19, 12 2:13 AM
This game has good graphics , voiceovers , options to play without sparkles or the custom cursor and widescreen (hopefully this means all can play without black bars). The story is about a child at the mercy of a witch and I feel compelled to buy the game just to save her ... but ...

Clicking on the word Extras doesn't tell you anything, all you get is "Extras are available once the game is completed" so you have no idea what you are paying for .

The Strategy Guide only showed 2 chapters and the demo ended at the end of chapter 2 which took me 50 minutes to play so if the game only has 4 chapters (thanks for that info RebecaLily ) it doesn't sound as though it will take very long to play and because of this fact and the above lack of information I will wait for the SE.

Cherb

ETA ...

To the Devs ... I did love your novel way of opening a certain door and hope that you will continue with these original ideas .

Edited on 01/19/2012 at 2:20:17 AM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jan 19, 12 2:40 AM
What a lovely game! I am amazed that it automatically went into complete full screen! Not many games do that for me, I do not complain about black bars, as they never bother me but this proves the point that we do not need to mess about with our PC's to get full screen. JMHO.
Graphics are beautifully clear, the H0 scenes are not too difficult, (with interaction).
Everything else has been reviewed, all I have to say further, is that if it is as short as it appears to be, from the reviews. Then I will wait for the standard priced game to come through, as I never use wallpapers, listen to the music nor look at the concept art but do like the bonus play to be worth double the price.
Well done Dev's you have done a really good job on this game

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jan 19, 12 3:02 AM
(Based on the demo, and then the "Buy It" button)--

Well, this developer has "raised the bar" pretty high when it comes to quality, innovation, and artistry! It's obvious from the "get-go" that a lot of work went into creating this game.

The storyline may be "well-worn"--driving on a country road on a rainy night, haunted mansion, long-lost orphaned relative, witch's curse--yada, yada, yada. Wrongo! The way this plot is presented is VERY imaginative!

The intro drew me right in, and everything only got better from there. The Options Menu is classic--three sliders (music, sound FX, voices (YES--VOICES); cursor and screen choices; two gameplay modes (T/Y, Cherbtoo, for the info on "sparklies").

We're talkin' some of the best voice-acting I've heard, and it's not just during the Intro (like many other games)--the dialogue syncs perfectly with the subtitle boxes. And guess what--some Full-Motion Video (FMV) for the characters! Not like the "stilted" acting in MCF#7 ("13th Skull")--this is smooth! The animations and cut-scenes are very entertaining.

Graphics are a bit hazy, but I suppose that's in keeping with the theme. The H0 scenes I've viewed so far are pretty distinct, though, and include some fun interactions. The hint system re-ups quickly; the one puzzle I encountered during my time was skippable, so I'm assuming (dangerous!) that all puzzles will be. An integrated SG only includes two demo chapters--unfortunately, that knocks this game down a peg. Game length? I can guess that even a "slow boat" like me will see this through in 3-4 hours--a bit chintzy for a CE.

So, my review started out on a "high" note and ended on a somewhat "low" note , but what I've seen still promises to be a very good game.

Regards, elldee (from sunny but cold New England)

(ETA--"AARP-ers" (like me) can be a bit forgetful! Journal, but no map (no biggie, just makes for more trekking); SPOILER (just wait 'til you see a "doorknob" that could use some "Robitussin"!). LOL!)

Edited on 01/19/2012 at 5:28:14 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 19, 12 4:02 AM
Hello Fishies...

This review is based on the trial version, which I played in Easy mode and which took me 55 minutes to play:

There is a choice of custom and system cursor. The custom cursor is big and ugly, and the system cursor is a miniature version of the large one.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is widescreen (and it works for me).

There is voice-over.

There are live people in this game.

The SG (strategy guide) only shows 2 chapters in the trial version, and stays open where you last left it.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are rather cluttered, and some items on the list are interactive.

The puzzles can be skipped.

Both the HINT and SKIP buttons take about 50 seconds to fill.

There is a journal and a "Goal" tab behind it.

There is no map.

You have to find ripped parts of drawings, which are added to your journal, and when whole, the drawing will give you a vital clue to the story.

The graphics are very well done.

--- --- ---

I found the gameplay highly entertaining and enjoyable. (At last a game to my liking).

All in all, this is a great game, and I am actually thinking of buying the CE, but will wait to see what others say about the bonus game when finished.
Either way, I will definitely buy the SE, if not the CE.

ETA: BTW, from the look and feel of this game, I was immediately reminded of MCF: The 13th Skull.

Edited on 01/19/2012 at 4:09:31 AM PST

[Post New]by heatherington on Jan 19, 12 4:50 AM
Anybody notice the car interior, looked a whole lot like the car from Dire Grove except the steering was on the left side. The glove box didn't open, but you could touch the hula dancer and make her sway. I thought that was cool. I also enjoyed finding the imp. This is nice and exciting and sufficiently spooky. I'm buying and re-downloading as we speak. I was desperate for a new game. I'm stuck with six game coupons and nothing to spend them on. And then I got in the mail today yet another game coupon for being a good customer, I think it’s a Valentine’s Day gift. Fortunately its good till the middle of March while the others have to be spent by the end of this month. Wish it could be a little longer or I wish they would put out more SE hidden objects. Anyway this is a good game and like Miss Lisa says. Fine Swine

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jan 19, 12 5:37 AM
finally, a game that actually earns the title of CE.....nice mix of hogs and puzzles,,,,items nicely hid, different puzzles then most other devs offer, this dev imo, has really been leaving others in the dust (hobe cbtx dont mind me stealing thier play on words), i was pulled into the story straight away, and am using my credits on it...i usually wait for length estimates to roll in, but i like this game a lot, so am off to buy..

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on Jan 19, 12 6:39 AM
First off.....WOW ...what a beautiful game. After reading the first few reviews a few hours ago, I just went ahead and purchased this game and I am glad I did. The story, graphics, integrated video with realistic characters, etc.(loved the doorknob). This game is fun, has a few chuckles, a little dark, has a little something for everyone. It sure beats the heck out of the the sad mistake of a game that I had played yesterday (a previous offering) only to have it crash half way through but that's another post.
I would still be playing if I wasn't in serious need of some . I had started the game at 6:53am and it is now 9:25am EST and I seem to be about half way. I went back in to check the SG to see how far I was before I exited and had just started Chapter 3 but I know there are things that I still haven't completed yet in the first two that I still need to complete. This game definitely held my interest and I am looking forward to getting back to it and see where the developers take us.
A Big for a very well developed, creative, and fun game. Happy gaming all.

Go to: