SabreQueen
Clownfish
Clownfish
658 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files – Speculations, Ponderings, and more!

[Post New]by SabreQueen on Nov 8, 10 4:47 PM
Mambo is one of names for a Voodoo Priestess.

Merengue is from Dominican Republic and is a popular dance form in New York but not specific to the Bronx.

Bronx Latin figures in a few schools names- probably to do with the curiculum at one time.

happyasaclam
Minnow
Minnow
292 Posts

[Post New]by happyasaclam on Nov 8, 10 4:56 PM
hey fishes i just thought of a windmill for eleven legs goes backward &never stops what do you all think

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Nov 8, 10 5:00 PM
happyasaclam wrote:hey fishes i just thought of a windmill for eleven legs goes backward &never stops what do you all think

Good thought, but I don't think you get 11 sails on a windmill, usually just 4.

momo2006
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by momo2006 on Nov 8, 10 5:00 PM
i was rereading the clue compilation on pg. 88 and saw where Picman had said "Unlucky for you that there are three equations..." Unlucky. To me that means the number 13 for sure.

mchicspic
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by mchicspic on Nov 8, 10 5:06 PM
Purplerabbit wrote:
happyasaclam wrote:hey fishes i just thought of a windmill for eleven legs goes backward &never stops what do you all think

I never got any nibbles on my lighthouse theory. I can re-post it if you like.

sunfish09
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,595 Posts

[Post New]by sunfish09 on Nov 8, 10 5:07 PM
Good one Momo

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Nov 8, 10 5:09 PM
momo2006 wrote:i was rereading the clue compilation on pg. 88 and saw where Picman had said "Unlucky for you that there are three equations..." Unlucky. To me that means the number 13 for sure.

That actually makes a lot of sense... You can't solve for Z mathematically because you have 2 equations and 3 unknowns. However, the equations may just mean "Z is a number" and "unlucky" is the key to the number that Z represents, which is 13. This especially fits since the leak about th 13th Skull. Nice job, momo!

DebDenver
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by DebDenver on Nov 8, 10 5:11 PM

You should google windmills in Louisiana!

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Nov 8, 10 5:11 PM
mchicspic wrote:
Purplerabbit wrote:

I never got any nibbles on my lighthouse theory. I can re-post it if you like.

I remember thinking it was a good theory. Would you re-post?

GameLvr30
Stingray
Stingray
4,785 Posts

[Post New]by GameLvr30 on Nov 8, 10 5:14 PM
I looked up the Latin for “legs” and got the word CRURA.

When I put eleven crura in an anagram server, one of the possible combinations was Re Raven Clue.

I just thought this was too funny not to mention.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Nov 8, 10 5:16 PM
In researching the Atchafalaya delta possibility, I discovered that the Atchafalaya is a major distributary - meaning it draws water away from the Mississippi rather than feeds it. So it runs backwards from tributaries - which feed rivers. There were also eleven surveys done that defined the Atchafalaya Bay (this seems like a reach but, hey, that ol'Tom and Bob answer was a complete shot in the dark). The latin clue - no idea yet...

mchicspic
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by mchicspic on Nov 8, 10 5:17 PM
Well, if you insist...

I've been thinking about the "11 legs" clue and wonder if it has to do with lighthouses... bear with me...

many of the lighthouses in and around Louisiana are on stilts (legs?). many lights in lighthouses run counterclockwise (backwards?). during the day, the lighthouses used a different system to warn sailors, so they are running all the time.

could 'latin' = "lighting"? I think that's a stretch even for the Bronx pronunciation.

mind you, I haven't found a single lighthouse with 11 stilts in LA yet. the Southwest Pass Entrance and West Rigolets lighthouses are close to that, but it's hard to count the stilts in the pics on their web site (http://www.lighthousefriends.com/pull-state.asp?state=LA).

why am I fixated on the lighthouse angle? it's that *&^#)@ barrel in DR -- with the drawings of a lighthouse with the light pointing into the water and an X floating on the water -- that's why. dang it!

of course, the info in the barrel may have been referring to RTR. *sigh*

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Nov 8, 10 5:21 PM
Thank you, mchicspic. I wish Picman would give us another clue to help with this.
That's interesting, emmy.

GameLvr30, LOL!

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Nov 8, 10 5:21 PM
Speaking of lighthouses - I did look up lighthouses on the Atchafalaya Delta and there is one called the Southwest Reef lighthouse and, yep, it stands on legs. The original one stood on legs but was knocked down in a storm - it stood abandoned for many years but was eventually restored. Photos of the new one shows it stands on 4 legs but the old one had more - it's hard to tell in the photos but it looks like 8-10? Standing on 11 legs would be tricky since this inherently seems less stable - but an extra supporting leg could have been part of the original structure. I've tried to find out more about the original but cannot find anything (yet).

nawlinslady35
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by nawlinslady35 on Nov 8, 10 5:22 PM
In 1980 in new Iberia Parish there was a drilling mishap that turned Lake Peigneur into a whirlpool and made Delcambe canal run backwards and sucked 11 barges into it.HA.I am so far off but it was interesting to read about that.lol

firekat7
Clownfish
Clownfish
954 Posts

[Post New]by firekat7 on Nov 8, 10 5:22 PM
Wow, lots of posts in the last 16 hours!I took Mr. Russ's eleven legs running backwards "sgel nevele" and made that into pig latin and got:

gelsay evelenay

When I googled that, I got the name of a Latin rap group called The Panchine with a song about a woman named Evelina. Probably has nothing to do with nothing.

I looked up Louisiana towns with the name Hill in it with the other word having 6 letters like in the clue. I just found two, Taylor Hill and Springhill.

Lots of people have speculated about eleven legs being a subway or trolley line. Several pages back I posted that the subway lines in the Bronx that had memorable stops at the 11th stop from the end of the line were Yankee Stadium, The Bronx Zoo, and Hunts Point. I'm guessing this is not what the clue means.

As far as trolleys go, there was a very important one in RTR.

I'm off to try to solve the three equartions with Z being 13 and also to look up trolley lines in New Orleans to see if there is anything interesting there.

[Post New]by rainingreality3 on Nov 8, 10 5:22 PM
so since we have officially confirmed that 13 is supposed to be thrown in there some where ( Most likely in the title, The 13th skull ) Unfortunately we still need to figure out the other peice of the puzzle for the title.

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Nov 8, 10 5:28 PM
rainingreality3 wrote:so since we have officially confirmed that 13 is supposed to be thrown in there some where ( Most likely in the title, The 13th skull ) Unfortunately we still need to figure out the other peice of the puzzle for the title.

The other bit is Skull (as you've said). Picman's son has more for now (bones) and this is the most logical one (the head, or skull).

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Nov 8, 10 5:30 PM
Purplerabbit wrote:
rainingreality3 wrote:so since we have officially confirmed that 13 is supposed to be thrown in there some where ( Most likely in the title, The 13th skull ) Unfortunately we still need to figure out the other peice of the puzzle for the title.

The other bit is Skull (as you've said). Picman's son has more for now (bones) and this is the most logical one (the head, or skull).

You are correct, Purplerabbit. And, BTW - great job blending together those three jigsaw pieces!

Edited on 11/08/2010 at 5:31:04 PM PST

[Post New]by rainingreality3 on Nov 8, 10 5:31 PM
emmyjayne wrote:In researching the Atchafalaya delta possibility, I discovered that the Atchafalaya is a major distributary - meaning it draws water away from the Mississippi rather than feeds it. So it runs backwards from tributaries - which feed rivers. There were also eleven surveys done that defined the Atchafalaya Bay (this seems like a reach but, hey, that ol'Tom and Bob answer was a complete shot in the dark). The latin clue - no idea yet...

Wow. Thats all i can say. WOW. Amazing job with the research!

Go to: