Dolphin
7,819 Posts

Reviews for House of 1000 Doors: Family Secrets

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 20, 12 12:19 AM
Good morning fishies...

This review is based on the CE trial version, which I played in easy mode:

There is an option for widescreen.

There are 2 resolution settings.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor. I used the custom cursor, because the system cursor will add the custom cursor and show both at the same time when there is an active place.

There are 2 play modes.

There is voice-over, and I liked the refined English (or British) accents.

The graphics are very well done.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are interactive. I have not come across any real junk piles, and graphics here are clear and crisp, and objects are not too hard to find.

Both HINT and SKIP button fill very quickly in easy mode.

There is a journal and, after the initial gameplay, there will be a map, which not only shows active areas, but you can use it to jump to different places.

Gameplay is fun and entertaining.

There are 35 "Beyond" morphing objects all over the place to find.

--- --- ---

I like this kind of game. And I don't mind that many of the things I have to do and find (lots to do in this game) I already did and found in previous games.
I am loving this game and bought the CE, especially since it reminded me of ERS' games.

It took me quite a few hours to finish the game, and the bonus game, which is not essential to the main game, took me 1 hour and 20 minutes to play, and I very much enjoyed it as well.

Edited on 01/20/2012 at 12:31:25 AM PST

bfgRhone
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for House of 1000 Doors: Family Secrets

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jan 20, 12 12:31 AM
Looks like another review thread was already created, this thread has now been stickied

Hi Fishies!

What do you think of House of 1000 Doors: Family Secrets? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the House of 1000 Doors: Family Secrets page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Askey
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
9 Posts

[Post New]by Askey on Jan 20, 12 12:44 AM
This is my first ever review! I have just finished playing the CE version of this game, and it is one of the best HOPA games I have played (and I have played a lot!)

- The artwork and music are beautiful
- The story is interesting and original
- The H0 scenes are just the right difficulty level and include interactive elements
- The adventure element is well-balanced between finding items and not using them straight away, and finding items for quick use
- The puzzles are enjoyable and of a medium difficulty level
- It is long!
- All the aspects come together perfectly.

I strongly recommend this game.

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Jan 20, 12 2:17 AM
I was waiting for this SE to come out. I loved playing the CE demo version. The graphics were excellent. I noticed their wasn't any walkthrough yet. But you didn't even need one The gameplay was easy enough to follow and you had the hint if you needed a push in the right direction. The music and the voice overs were good. The HOS were a litle "Junkpilish" but they were challenging and the mingames were just a bit challenging as well (they also had a quick skip button). I really enjoyed playing this demo and was disappointed when it ended. I would rate it a 9 out of 10.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
702 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jan 20, 12 3:24 AM
I played the CE and was waiting for the SE to come out, of course I got the game..
The game is awesome, Thx Devs for all your hard work and time on this game thx BF for the love you show us fishes..

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jan 20, 12 4:25 AM
I haven`t bought the CE from this game, but as the SE its a definete buy for me. Its a great game: good storyline, gameplay, hogscenes and puzzles.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,135 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Jan 20, 12 4:28 AM
I forgot to post a review in the CE thread but thought I would post here as I put in a bit about the ending
House of 1000 doors is the usual theme, an author receives an invitation to a séance & she finds a house that is an entrance to a realm of ghosts. She has to restore her grandmother’s good name & save a bunch of ghosts who have been trapped.

There are a lot of areas to explore as each ghostly story opens up a new realm to play in; there is an interactive map which makes life easier. The hidden object scenes are well drawn & it is not too hard to find the items, some of which are interactive.

The graphics are excellent & the artwork beautiful, the developer of this game never disappoints in this area. The music is melodic & unobtrusive & there are some excellent voiceovers with clickable dialogue.

Joy, there are 35 morphing objects to find & also 27 miniature portraits; I love this type of addition.

I found the gameplay flowed well & there were some very enjoyable mini games which were not too hard to solve, I would have liked to have had more of these.

The bonus chapter was an add on; it was not necessary to play it in order to get a satisfying ending to the game, it only took me 50 minutes to play so was glad that I had purchased the collector’s edition in a sale.

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
283 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Jan 20, 12 4:32 AM
Thought this game would be another run of the mill haunted house game, but it ended up being a lot more interesting than that. I have only played the demo but I think I will be buying the game. The story grabbed my interest right away, it reminded me a little bit of the plot for Fear For Sale: Sunnyvale Story, with the whole disappearing house thing, but so far, House of 1000 Doors seems like a better game to me. I just thought Sunnyvale Story was okay and decided not to buy after playing demo.

House of 1000 Doors looks like a top notch production from what I have seen of it so far. I really like the voice acting, and how the cut scenes look like a movie. I only got to play 1 H0 scene, which makes me think they might be spread out in this game, don't quote me on that though since I only played the demo, but anyways, I really liked the interactiveness of the H0 scene, it made it a lot more fun than your normal H0 scene, which I get sick of playing when they are repetitive and there are a lot of them back to back. If all of the H0 scenes in this game are interactive, then i think I will enjoy them, and I am hoping they are.

I only got to play one puzzle, and it was a typical slide the pieces around to make a picture puzzle, which I am not very fond of since there are puzzles like that in almost every game I play and they get old, so I can't say much for the puzzles after what I have seen so far, but I hope they get more interesting and original as the game moves along.

Like I said, I will probably buy this game. I am intrigued enough by the story and the quirky characters to want to continue, and it looks like a lot of surprises await me in the house which I have barely begun to explore. I might post more comments later about what I think of the rest of the game. But based on what I have seen, I would recommend that people try the game, even if they are sick of haunted house games, because this one seems a bit different and more intriguing than some of the other haunted house games out there.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
702 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jan 20, 12 5:33 AM
I really love this game, Now i wished i had bought the CE, I really did not know this game was going to be so awesome, so if you have second thoughts do buy this game you want be sorry and if you have not bought the SE yet, I would buy the CE..That is just my thoughts..
The graphics are so beautiful and the sounds are pleasant to hear..I just loved everything about this game..
I would rate this game a 10..Thx again BF..and Kuddo's to the Dev's..
I will watch for more games like this one from the dev's...

snags2
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by snags2 on Jan 20, 12 6:28 AM
It's a WOW! and a big thumbs up for me too. It also intrigued me that the first characters we meet are Margaret Fox & Kate. 2 names which are connected with the Birth of Modern Spiritualism in 1848 in Hydesville USA.

Well done developers - your games always intrigue me. look forward to the next one. Thanks BFG for this good game . This is what my New Year was in need of.

sunfish09
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,594 Posts

[Post New]by sunfish09 on Jan 20, 12 8:41 AM
Been waiting for SE version . I also played CE 1hr demo and really liked the game. I'll be back later to write a full review.

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Jan 20, 12 9:26 AM
I bought the CE and this is one of my favorites. Nice varities, I for one love morphs, wish they had them in more games. This is one game that I will go back to and re-play. So many pros going for it. Good adventure, great graphics and overall fun playing. I rate it a five star.

baglady159
Herring
Herring
343 Posts

[Post New]by baglady159 on Jan 20, 12 9:56 AM
I bought the CE when the sale was on and I loved this game. So much to do...so many places to go...and it lasted a long, long time. One of the best in a long time.

bball111
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by bball111 on Jan 20, 12 10:47 AM
Very Enjoyable game. If you prefer games with fewer HOG scenes this one is not for you, it has quite a few.

hazelize
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by hazelize on Jan 21, 12 7:47 AM
I didn't think I'd like this game, but the reasons are fairly petty. I hated the opening...Kate Reed, sitting at home all dressed up with her helmet hair and pearls gets an invitation to a seance that very night. Although a best-selling author of the paranormal, she's never been to a seance. And then, later, off she goes on a mysterious boat in the middle of the night to the Statue of Liberty without even putting on a sweater or changing into comfortable shoes.

I also didn't like the first couple of HOGs, or the fact that, when she first met the man sitting on the couch, she knew right away his name was Saymon and practically his whole biography. Where did she get that information? That kind of thing happened a lot in this game.

I'm glad I stuck with it, though. It's got a great plotline--the house is a conduit through time and space through which a group of psychically-talented individuals can assist souls in trouble--so you can experience many different scenes. There's an excellent map feature which not only lets you jump from place to place but tells you if there's anything actionable in the locations. It's a great feature for people like me that hate dragging back and forth poking around for stuff to do. I also really liked that you kept the knife in your inventory for practically the whole game. I find it really annoying in many games (here's another little pettiness) to use an item once, have it disappear from the inventory, then change a scene and have to look for a similar item.

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Jan 21, 12 11:29 AM
loved the game and sure hope the have another one..story starts out kind of slow but stick with it..you will be surprised. great graphics and story line . played game on and off for two days but i am not a fast player..well worth the purchase..

jennsmom
Clownfish
Clownfish
878 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jan 21, 12 2:28 PM
Very enjoyable game, and quite long, I thought. It took me about 4 1/2 hours. There were a couple of puzzles I skipped, just because I didn't like them. The H/O scenes were a bit of a junkpile, but I didn't mind that as much as the fact that some objects were dark on a dark background. Hard for my old eyes to see. Nevertheless, I enjoyed finding things, and the hint recharged quickly. Only once did I yell at the screen, " I AM clicking on a fern!!" I was, but not the correct fern. That drives me bats. Anyway, liked the end, liked the fact that there might be a sequel, and I'm so happy that this SE became available.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Jan 21, 12 5:22 PM
I believe this is a good game. Even the music is good. I need a walkthrough however. I'm at the front entrance to the house, the hint gives me the same answer over and over again. I'm missing a puzzle piece, I need to cut back some vines. I can't find anything to cut back the vines, or the puzzle piece. Alas, I'm lost yet again.

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
249 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Jan 21, 12 6:31 PM
I love this game and look forward to a sequel. The graphics, animations, artwork, music, voiceovers are all top notch. The 'map' area makes for easy maneuvers throughout the game should you need to use it or are not sure where to go next.

The developers/designers are to be commended for their hard work and innovative concept. Congrats to them and thank you BFG for bringing us this enjoyable game.

Faylyn

jennsmom
Clownfish
Clownfish
878 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jan 22, 12 4:59 AM
brookings wrote:I believe this is a good game. Even the music is good. I need a walkthrough however. I'm at the front entrance to the house, the hint gives me the same answer over and over again. I'm missing a puzzle piece, I need to cut back some vines. I can't find anything to cut back the vines, or the puzzle piece. Alas, I'm lost yet again.

If it's still not up, I recommend a web search. There is one out there.

Go to: