How do you create a NEW FOLDER?

[Post New]by KingaroyJoy on Jan 20, 12 6:20 PM
Hi Fishies
This is getting to be a better game every time I play, which is just about every day.

I was playing around with importing new pictures from my own files and wanted to organise the images, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to create new folders.

I even closed the program, and after locating the 5 existing image folders within the Jigsaws Galore program, tried using the Windows method from the drop menu.

But when I opened up the program again the new folder I had just created was not there. It's still there with the other original image folders in the appropriate spot under
Program Files\Jigsaws Galore,
but not available/visible when the program is running. Can't find anything in the help menu either.

How do other folk organise the new images they have imported?

How do you create new folders?

Thanks

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

How do you create a NEW FOLDER?

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Jan 22, 12 10:19 AM
KingaroyJoy wrote:Hi Fishies
This is getting to be a better game every time I play, which is just about every day.

I was playing around with importing new pictures from my own files and wanted to organise the images, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to create new folders.

I even closed the program, and after locating the 5 existing image folders within the Jigsaws Galore program, tried using the Windows method from the drop menu.

But when I opened up the program again the new folder I had just created was not there. It's still there with the other original image folders in the appropriate spot under
Program Files\Jigsaws Galore,
but not available/visible when the program is running. Can't find anything in the help menu either.

How do other folk organise the new images they have imported?

How do you create new folders?

Thanks

Hi KingaroyJoy,

Yes, you can create a new folder. I just did and it worked for me.

Go into my computer/documents and settings/your name/Application Data.
Find the folder for Jigsaws Galore. Double click that.
Next, double click on the first folder - Jigsaws. It is the only yellow folder.
See five yellow folders plus all the .jsm files you created.
Right click on any one of the yellow folders and choose copy.
Then right click anywhere in that window and choose paste.
That entire folder is now duplicated within the main "Jigsaws" folder.
Open up "copy of jigsaws" and manually delete all but one of the jigsaws, just to be safe.
Close the folder and go back to the "Jigsaws" folder and right click that folder and rename it to whatever you would like.

I opened up the game and saw that my folder had, indeed, been created and was there.
I dragged all my own creations that I had solved into the new folder and closed the program.
I then went back into documents and setting as described in the first step, and sure enough, my created and solved puzzles were now listed in that new folder.

I'm using Windows XP btw. If you use Windows 7 or Mac, the process might be a bit different for you.
Hope this makes some sort of sense to you and helps you out. Good Luck!

Re:How do you create a NEW FOLDER?

[Post New]by KingaroyJoy on Jan 22, 12 9:48 PM
Thanks Lady_Cav for such a comprehensive reply. Sounds like you had fun seeking this out.

This game is sooo jam-packed with features!!! Every time I think "I wish I could ......" and then look for way to do it, there is an answer, a feature that lets you do that and more as well (stuff I hadn't even thought of).

I am using Vista and it changes the possibilities quite a bit. Windows XP was a great program, and I miss it terribly. XP was so similar to all previous versions the learning curve was minimal. Vista seems to hide all those options from you, and then use different language in the help pages just to make it even harder to find.

Your solution made total sense. Thankyou. Unfortunately there is no folder 'documents and settings' in Vista, and I tried again to do as you suggested in the Program Files area of Jigsaws Galore but the new folder wasn't there when I opened the program again.

However, I checked the help again and did a 'search' (often I forget this feature, just using the help index) for 'folders'.

Its so easy its embarrasing to admit that I missed it.

All you need to do is right click on the main page background, and the option is there.

Thanks again Lady_Cav

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Jan 23, 12 4:44 AM
Hi KingaroyJoy,

I'm glad that you were able to sort all things out. No docs and settings in Vista? Wow, that could make things confusing. But it's great that you were able to locate what you needed. It helps to be able to sort files into new folders so they are not all on the main screen page. I already have over a dozen files that I have created from my own wildlife photographs.

This program is great fun and you are right about the many useful features. The developer really did a great job on this program!! I've had many hours of fun with this and know I will have countless more. I've gone up in number of pieces with each new puzzle and the one I just finished was 999 pieces and took probably two days worth of time to finish. The loupe is a vital tool! I'm enjoying creating screen shots from the different BFG games and using them for puzzles.

Good luck and happy gaming/puzzling!

[Post New]by Jigsaws_Galore on Jan 23, 12 7:23 AM
Hi KingaroyJoy

I see you already found out you can right-click the main board and select New folder..."

There are a number of other "hidden" right-click menus in the game. On the main board you can also right-click on the folder icons, the open folders and the jigsaw thumbnails. In the solving screen you can right-click on the playing surface, the background ghost, the puzzle pieces, the open trays and the tray icons on the tray bar. Even Lady_Cav might not have found all those features yet

On the subject of creating new folders, please note that currently, for simplicity, you can't create nested folders, you can only have one level of sub-folder. You can, as Lady_Cav describes, create folders outside the game, using a Windows folder view, but you will need to restart the game before it will detect things you do outside of the game. And again, no nested folders will be detected.

You can duplicate a jigsaw within the game if you wish: right-click and "Edit" the jigsaw icon and then save it with a different filename. If you want to copy many jigsaws, you will be better to use Lady_cav's technique and do it in a Windows folder view.

~ David

Go to: