cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Reviews for Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 21, 12 12:21 AM
This is a very interesting and bizarre game. I'm not sure how strongly it goes to Oscar Wilde's "The Picture of Dorian Gray" but there is a picture of a youthful guy early on and there is a creepy villain named Oscar whose voice-over is very excellent and scary (well done on this) But of course there is some sort of problem with the Dorian Gray Syndrome which has to with coping with self-appearance especially as it regards ageing so the story could go in any of several directions, all interesting.
The game play itself is very good and responsive.
The graphics are high quality but dark and gloomy.
As already indicated, the voice-overs are great.
The hidden object scenes are not too hard with interactive aspects which enhance their interest.
The puzzles are different and unique (so far).
No widescreen for me-there is an option for it in the menu but it doesn't work. Too bad-that would make the game even better. (There are brownish colored side bars and it won't allow deselecting the full screen option so maybe that's all it's supposed to do----only the dev-Magicindie knows!)
But as a SE it is recommended. Overall good job by the devs here.

Edited on 01/21/2012 at 12:32:36 AM PST

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jan 21, 12 12:25 AM
This thread has now been stickied.

Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 21, 12 1:17 AM
Good morning, everyone!

This review is based on the CE version, which I played in easy mode. So just ignore the parts that concern the bonus game.

There is voice-over, which is very well done.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is an option for widescreen, and one for film grain.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

The graphics were very well done.

Both the HINT and SKIP buttons filled quickly.

The HINT button is on the left-hand side, and the journal and map on the right.

The map shows where you are, and what actions can be done, but you can't use it to jump to different areas.

There is a lot of talk, but you can click on the text at the top to make it stop.

--- --- ---

I very much enjoyed this game, despite the endless talk I got from Oscar. Although I didn't time myself, so I don't know the exact hours I played, this was quite a long game.

Lots and lots of places to explore, so it was a little unfortunate that the map could not be used to jump to different areas.

And, what a surprise, I also enjoyed the bonus game, which took me 50 minutes to play. The bonus game plays in a completely different area from the main game, and what a surprise ending it had.

The game does continue from where the main game leaves off, and although it's not an absolute must-play. the bonus game does conclude the story.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jan 21, 12 3:12 AM
I bought the CE and this is my review. I beta tested this game and I loved it. My review is based on beta test and full demo. I really like the story and I think this game has some of the best voiceover's I've heard in along time. This is a smart and challenging game. The graphics are good, but are on the darker side, to add atmosphere and mystery to the game. This is a must buy. IMO I am enjoying this game alot more than MCF -EFR. This is a must try for sure. Enjoy!

Yes: Widescreen
Yes: Voiceovers - Fantastic!
Yes: Casual & Advanced modes of play.
Yes: Separate Music & Voiceover & Atmosphere & SFX sound adjustments.
Yes: Custom Cursor
Yes: Film Grain Option
Theme: Psychological thriller

I rate this game: "FINE SWINE"
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Jan 21, 12 5:16 AM
I gave this game a glowing review when it came out as a CE. Here is some of what I said there:

What an outstanding game! This was one of the best psychological thrillers ever offered here at BFG in a casual game format. I enjoyed it much more than the latest MCF game! The antagonist, Oscar, offers tension, fear and anger in a very "Hannibal Lector" type manner to Sam, the hero, and you, the player. His comments over the loudspeaker and the sight of him the few times you actually meet him are deliciously wicked and evil! What a perfect villain!

The game is massive, huge! A recent game with "1000 doors" in the title is very apt here, if not even more so. The game locations are immense. Even with a map, it's easy to lose track of where you are, and there is a lot of back and forth to this game. I had previously thought that RtoR, Raincliff and Phantasmat were the most expansive games, but this has them all beat, I think, in sheer number of locations and scenes.

Considering that some rooms only had one or two active spots to click on, the Devs went to great deal of work and artistry to offer a very rich and varied environment. Each location is so very detailed - very impressive. The artist's "sculptures" (if you will), are beautifully and tastefully rendered to be so tragic.

Some of the puzzles and mini games were quite challenging. The variety of types of puzzles really kept me on my toes.

The bonus game is not necessary, because the story comes to a satisfying conclusion. The story in the bonus game takes places in a different location and had quite a surprising ending. The regular game, without the bonus has 60 locations to visit!

Valdy already gave an excellent review on how the game plays, so I will only add that this was my FAVORITE game of 2011. I've played it at least half a dozen times and I loved every minute of Oscar's voice overs. They really made the game outstanding for me. Don't hesitate, folks, just BUY!!!

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Jan 21, 12 5:27 AM
I remember really loving the CE version of this game, but playing the SE demo it seemed to loose its lackluster. I know the graphics were good as well as the voice overs and music, but I kept getting stuck with all these items, needing other objects and not knowing where to go next. There was one point I went to every place on the map and it said nothing to do here right now. HUH???? The HOS were okay as well as the minigames which had a quick skip button. But I would hate to rate this a 6 out of 10 now.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jan 21, 12 6:22 AM
The Widescreen option works OPPOSITE of what you'd think. I was enjoying the game but extremely annoyed by the black bars on the side. I unchecked the Widescreen option, then restarted the game (it won't change it unless you close the game and restart) and the bars are gone!

Great game from what I've played so far. I bought the CE on the sale, but didn't get a chance to play it until today.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Jan 21, 12 7:05 AM
Wonderful game. I bought the CE and loved it. The voice of Hannibal Lecter with the plot of SAW(not quite). Has nothing to do with Dorian Grey, as a journalist, you have uncovered a bad guy and he now has your girl in the largest mansion ever constructed! This mansion could have used a few secret passages to help us out! This is one of my all time favorite games, because of the voice and plot. You will get hours and hours of entertainment out of this one.I would have liked a few less rooms and more to do in each room, but that's not much of a complaint. I loved to listen to Oscar's voice. I'm not much into H0 scenes and there weren't many in this game, I was actually happy to see one when it would pop up, and I like this kind, with the interaction. I couldn't solve a few puzzles, but I let my husband have a try and he solved them all for me. The ending of the SE will be entirely satisfactory. I spent hours and hours on this game, at least 8, and that was with starting to look in the strategy guide towards the end because I just couldn't remember where the puzzles were anymore. The only real flaw of this game was not having an interactive map. Oh, and the music is good and the bonus chapter seems to be set in an amusement park, which is my favorite setting. The bonus chapter (about an hour) was kind of a letdown, although I liked the location. I liked the SE ending better. There are some nice screensavers and soundtracks of the music, although I don't think you can download them. I would give this game high marks for the music.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jan 21, 12 7:30 AM
sinshack wrote:The Widescreen option works OPPOSITE of what you'd think. I was enjoying the game but extremely annoyed by the black bars on the side. I unchecked the Widescreen option, then restarted the game (it won't change it unless you close the game and restart) and the bars are gone!

Great game from what I've played so far. I bought the CE on the sale, but didn't get a chance to play it until today.
Widescreen works correctly if you know what it does. It coerces the display to HD - 16x9 - 1920x1080 whatever your monitor's setting.
If your current resolution doesn't match, you get the black bars. Unchecking the option stretches the display to fit your screen's resolution.

Edited on 01/21/2012 at 7:32:23 AM PST

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Jan 21, 12 9:48 AM
Hello everyone,

Swimming by to ask that everyone please reserve this thread for reviews only.

For comments/responses on an individual's review, please PM the user directly by pressing the PM button in that user's post.

The moderation team will be removing any off-topic comments after this post to make sure other Fishies are finding the reviews that they need.

Thank you!

-bfgArnoStyx

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Jan 21, 12 3:50 PM
YES!!!! I test so many games that even the good ones tend to blend together. And for those who asked, no, it's not the same as Oscar Wilde's novel. Dorian sold his soul to be young, while he continued to debauch and be a totally evil person. He stayed young and gorgeous, but all his bad deeds showed up in his portrait. Basically, the canvas was his conscience, which he conveniently ignored until the end. Good creepy story.

This one deals with a crazy seriel killer who says he's preserving his victims beauty for all time. Sort of a butterfly under glass syndrome to me, but hey, it made a catch title. This one stood out for me because I am an artist and there are some seriously crazy people in our world. So I found it wonderfully creepy. I've even been checking in for the minute they released the SE version.

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Jan 21, 12 5:15 PM
Bought the CE. Nice game.

sonofstar
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by sonofstar on Jan 21, 12 7:22 PM
I played the game through....on mute. The voice over was TOO realistic and TOO creepy. I guess the game developers did their jobs well.

The storyline is good, but I'm getting a little maxed out on creepy games.

The puzzles were challenging and the artwork was well done.

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Jan 21, 12 8:12 PM
I agree the actor doing Oscar's voice was very good! This was a really good game, lots of locations, great artwork, etc. I didn't know the SE was coming out, and I played the CE, but I did like the bonus game. It was a good length and had a better ending than most!

Only thing is that I found most of the puzzles TOO challenging or too long. I ended up skipping alot of them.

Other than that, I would most definitely buy another game from these guys. If you get the CE, watch the interview with them.

LobsterMann
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by LobsterMann on Jan 22, 12 7:48 PM
A very well done game. I enjoyed my tour immensely. loved the guitar tuning

Papal
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
4 Posts

[Post New]by Papal on Jan 23, 12 4:38 PM
bfgRhone wrote:This thread has now been stickied.

Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome page <a href="http://bigfi.sh/wxPTMA">here</a>.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article <a href="http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1872">Big Fish Game Reviews</a> for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game <a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/196245.page>here</a>.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Jan 24, 12 11:34 AM
wowowowowow...
for once i am disapointed i did not buy the C.E.
the puzzles were long and intricate
some hard, some not
spoooky story
continues in C.E
not the easiest game, but not too hard
loads of rooms and exploring
EEEEEKKKKKKKK

17players_
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by 17players_ on Jan 25, 12 3:56 PM
I guess I was expecting more. However I did skip the talking... I played on the expert level and finished the first 2 chapters and only got stumped once. I would estimate from that, that the game would be about 4 hours for me. I wasn't impressed, it wasn't scary and it was easy to find what needed to be done except for the time I mentioned. Won't buy...

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Jan 25, 12 6:15 PM
I am loving this game! For those who say this is too easy, you probably haven't played long enough. There are SO many locations to play. I haven't counted, and more keep opening, so I can't tell you how many locations there are. Let's just say A LOT! I am wishing that I bought the CE just for the SG. For some reason, when I try to go between the walkthrough and the game, the game stops running. It is making gameplay a bit frustrating right now.

**** scenes are a bit dark, but the hint system refills quickly in easy mode, and I didn't need to use it much.
Voice overs are well done. There is a lot of dialogue though, but it is skippable for those who don't care for it. Personally, I found Oscar quite entertaining.
Music is good. I usually mute the music, but this is good background music, and suits the game.
Graphics are nicely done, especially given the number of locations in this game
Puzzles are interesting. They range from super easy, to I give up. There is a skip button which doesn't take too long. I enjoyed most of the puzzles, and have only skipped one. And had help from my daughter for one.

There is a journal.
There is a map, but I did not find it all that helpful. It tells you what locations have a task that needs to be done, but it doesn't tell you if it can be done with what you already have in your inventory. I have found myself going to a location only to find that I still don't have what I need to perform the task. The map does not allow you to jump from one location to another. (Darn!)
The hint system within the game will tell you if there is nothing to do in a location. However, it does not point you in the direction you want to go. For that, one would need the SG. I am about halfway done, and I wish I had a notebook next to me.

nell50
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by nell50 on Jan 26, 12 8:16 AM
I agree - this is a fantastic game with superb graphics. This is the only SE game where I reached the end and really wished I had bought the CE for the bonus chapter. Best game for me so far in the last couple of months and I have bought many......had me engrossed totally to the end. Puzzles were mixed and not too easy which I love, whole storyline is quite amusing. Not for those who don't like moving around too much - personally I love this type of play and the map shows exactly where you are and where you need to be headed. Was nice to have a slightly dark but amusing theme but which is totally different from the recent dark spooky themes which I am getting very bored with. 8 out of 10 for me....

Go to: