bfgKenai
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

Reviews for Otherworld: Spring of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgKenai on Jan 22, 12 12:20 AM

Hi Fishies!

We’d love to hear what you think of Otherworld: Spring of Shadows Collector's Edition ; your reviews are very important to us and to other Fishies. And now you’re more than welcomed to post your thoughts about this game right from the Otherworld: Spring of Shadows Collector's Edition page over Here!

For more information about our Game Reviews, please click here.

Once you’ve submitted your review, please feel free to come back and re-post your thoughts in this thread. Remember, a lot of people who will be reading these reviews haven’t played this game yet, so if you’re posting any spoilers, please be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

You can also specify if you played the game from the trial version or the full version and on which level you ended your game play, so that other players can get more out of this discussion !

If you are experiencing technical issues with this game, remember to check out the support thread for this game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!
bfgKenai

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

Re:Reviews for Otherworld: Spring of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Jan 22, 12 12:29 AM
Great little fairy adventure!
...AND full/wide screen that is beautiful.

Edited on 01/22/2012 at 12:33:48 AM PST

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Jan 22, 12 1:05 AM
I played for about 30 minutes. I was not impressed. I only came across one HOG, if you can call it that. It is bright and beautiful, but not CE worthy in my opinion. I will wait for the SE.

margit50
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by margit50 on Jan 22, 12 1:13 AM
I played for 32 minutes, liked the game, will buy it, after I get some sleep. It is 4:15 in the morning. The game is widescreen, 3 options of play.

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Jan 22, 12 1:14 AM
Three modes of play- Casual, Advanced and Hardcore. I played on Advanced as there is no skip for mini games in Hardcore.

There are 6 chapters and the bonus is the epilogue. Wallpapers and things like that will be available in the full version.

I had only completed chapter one with 6 minutes left of my hour. This seems to be more adventure than HOG. The HOG parts such as they were , were find 20 gems , 20 spiders things like that . The mini games I encountered were not difficult once you figured out what you were supposed to do. The graphics are nice.

There are achievements and a certain object to find throughout the game ( 60 of them I believe ). I think this will be a very good length with lots to do. I may use my two credits on this. Will sleep on it as it is 3 am.

Happy gaming everyone.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jan 22, 12 1:18 AM
Enjoyed the Demo.... will be buying

The game involves a whimsical, magical adventure, spooky mix where your task is to 'save' a little girl, Fiona from a dark entity holding her captive. Though this may sound similar to many, it does appear to have a very unigue quality to it. Offers achievement awards.

The Demo begins in her now vacated house and beautiful grounds (gardens, gazebo, etc)... again, sort of a mix of folklore/fairytale with a twist of darkness ie. the common theme of saving someone from evil. There is a partial change of atmosphere along the way (won't give it away), yet the atmosphere remains a mix of very nice scenery (SO appealing for a change) and the voice over was very good (British accent) and SFX/music appropriate with a soothing quality overall.

Loved the environment/atmosphere in the game... beautiful, vibrantly illustrated, enchanted theme; reminds me a bit of work by artist T. Kinkade.

ETA: Decided to buy.

Edited on 01/22/2012 at 10:27:21 AM PST

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Jan 22, 12 1:22 AM
Played the full demo. I have been spoiled with voices in my favorite games and this game has no voices at all. It does have a SG access from the game but every picture you click on you have to individually click on a specific "close" tab. No map as far as I could see.

The graphics had great color but I didnt think it was sharp and clear. Some new mini games but so far they were really easy and I never say that lol.

I dont think this game will be a buy for me. It felt like a SE not a CE.

Happy gaming

Edited on 01/22/2012 at 1:24:36 AM PST

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jan 22, 12 1:24 AM
care___916 wrote:Played the full demo. I have been spoiled with voices in my favorite games and this game has no voices at all. It does have a SG access from the game but every picture you click on you have to individually click on a specific "close" tab. No map as far as I could see.

The graphics had great color but I didnt think it was sharp and clear. Some new mini games but so far they were really easy and I never say that lol.

I dont this game will be a buy for me. It felt like a SE not a CE.

Happy gaming

Hi... check again... it DOES have voices.... maybe you had them turned off???

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jan 22, 12 1:28 AM
I really liked the demo of this game. The story, although of the "save this kidnapped kid!" type, is made interesting by the fairytale-ish aspects of the game. The graphics are quite beautiful. Some of it is "dark" in nature, but it still comes off as very colorful and nice to look at. For me, I did not like the narrator's accent. I know there are lots of different types of British accents, but she says some words in a strange way and her tone is... odd. The music is OK, but it sometimes gives you a "danger is imminent!" sort of feel when you're just doing a puzzle or looking at something. It's not a deal breaker or anything, though. I really, really like that there are achievements to get in the game and that there are extra things to find around the game (you get an achievement if you find all of them in the game). The hidden object scenes are sort of different from the usual where you're given a list of things to find, so that was nice.There are a ton of puzzles, but so far I haven't found any that were really difficult, although it does seem like they are getting harder to figure out the more I play. All in all, I think I will actually purchase the CE for this game.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 22, 12 1:30 AM
Darn it! And I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more CEs. grrrr...

OK, rant over.

--- --- ---

Good morning fishies.

This review is based on the trial version, which I played in casual mode:

This is a Boomzap game !! (yayyy)

There are 6 chapters and the Epilogue (bonus game).

The SG (strategy guide) only gives you a peek into the first 2 chapters.

The SG stays open where you are at that time.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is widescreen. (yayyy)

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a journal that shows you your goals, follows your story, and gives you other informations.

There is a "Checkmark" above the journal which, when you click on it, tells you what to do next - only available in "casual mode".

There is a MAP, which will appear sometimes in chapter 2.
You will need this map to get to the other places, you can't get there on foot.

The HINT button, which also works outside of HOS, is a question mark at the right. Just below that is the GUIDE.

Puzzles can be skipped.

Both the HINT and SKIP buttons take a while to fill. I believe it takes about 1 minute for the HINT button to fill - and this is in casual mode.

There is voice-over, from time to time.

There are achievements, one of which is to collect 60 little fairies.

--- --- ---

I love Boomzap games, and once again, this is a definite buy for me.

The colours and graphics are wonderful, and gameplay is fun fun fun, and entertaining.

Of course, this being a Boomzap game, this won't be your usual HOG (hidden object game), but more of a Puzzle/Adventure game with a few HOS (hidden object scenes) thrown in - HOS being mainly of the "find 10 of these and 20 of those" variety, with the odd fractured objects scene.

Well, I am off to buy this game.

Edited to amend some parts of my review.

Edited on 01/22/2012 at 12:12:37 PM PST

grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by grannyq on Jan 22, 12 1:45 AM
Valdy I took your review for House of 1000 Doors and I bought the CE. I was not disappointed. However after trying this game I am also not impressed. It just seems too easy and I was quickly bored. For those of you who love it, enjoy!

[Post New]by WebsiteBoomzap on Jan 22, 12 1:54 AM
Valdy wrote:There is no map.

Just a quick note - there actually IS a map - you just get it after the survey section. It does not allow you to go to specific scenes, but to very different locations, each of which have a number of different scenes. I would say more, but I don't want to spoil it any more than that.

And thank you!

EDIT: By survey section, I mean the trial period. You'll know when you get the map - you can't miss it.

Edited on 01/22/2012 at 2:00:36 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 22, 12 1:55 AM
grannyq wrote:Valdy I took your review for House of 1000 Doors and I bought the CE. I was not disappointed. However after trying this game I am also not impressed. It just seems too easy and I was quickly bored. For those of you who love it, enjoy!

Hi Grannyq...

No worries. I happen to like easy. LOL If it gets too hard, I get frustrated and stressed, and it becomes like a lot of hard work for me. I just like walking through a game easily and just admiring the graphics and gameplay, while doing tasks here and there.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 22, 12 1:57 AM
WebsiteBoomzap wrote:

Just a quick note - there actually IS a map - you just get it after the survey section. It does not allow you to go to specific scenes, but to very different locations, each of which have a number of different scenes. I would say more, but I don't want to spoil it any more than that.

And thank you!

Hi there!

Thanks for popping in. So there is a map?! I don't know where the survey section is, but I will keep my eyes peeled for it. Just bought the game! Just love what I have played so far.

ETA: Oh right. Good to know that I will get the map with the full version.
I will edit my review.

more ETA: I found the map! It takes a while, but when I got to chapter 2, I got it.

Edited on 01/22/2012 at 3:59:06 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 22, 12 2:01 AM
Good morning Valdy and all other fishies,

From Boomzap----the makers of the Awakening games, Dana Knightstone games, and Antique Road Trip games (so you know the quality will be of the highest order)----comes this fantastic offering.
I played the full hour but didn't get very far as I was so taken with the beautiful, excellently done scenery that I found myself just gaping at the magnificent blend of color and artistry on display.
The gameplay itself is very smooth and just flows in such a manner as to take you completely and immediately into the story.
Adding to the beauty of this game is the fact that it opens in widescreen----a big plus that seems to be lost to other developERS.
Full of interesting puzzles that seem to be easy enough.
There are several achievements (22 I think) to strive for which adds to the fun (for me, anyway)
The strategy guide keeps it place and the first two of six chapters before the bonus game is 47 pages so the game appears to be lengthy.
The bonus game is listed as an epilogue.
This game is a must have for me, and sets a standard of sorts as to just how high the bar can be set, and absolutely leaves certain other developERS in the dust of repetition and resting on their older achievements.
This one shows the way (so far) for 2012.
Congrats to the developer for this superb game.
Enjoy, everyone!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jan 22, 12 2:07 AM
cbtx wrote:Good morning Valdy and all other fishies,

From Boomzap----the makers of the Awakening games, Dana Knightstone games, and Antique Road Trip games (so you know the quality will be of the highest order)----comes this fantastic offering.
I played the full hour but didn't get very far as I was so taken with the beautiful, excellently done scenery that I found myself just gaping at the magnificent blend of color and artistry on display.
The gameplay itself is very smooth and just flows in such a manner as to take you completely and immediately into the story.
Adding to the beauty of this game is the fact that it opens in widescreen----a big plus that seems to be lost to other developERS.
There are several achievements (22 I think) to strive for which adds to the fun (for me, anyway)
The strategy guide keeps it place and the first two of six chapters before the bonus game is 47 pages so the game appears to be lengthy.
This game is a must have for me, and sets a standard of sorts as to just how high the bar can be set, and absolutely leaves certain other developERS in the dust of repetition and resting on their older achievements.
Enjoy, everyone!

Totally agree with you (again!). Definite buy for me. Just the right mood - beautiful to look at and very gentle. I only buy CEs now if the game really grabs me. I consider myself seriously grabbed.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 22, 12 2:13 AM
I wasn't buying CE's any more either but I have bought this after 35 minutes of play .

What I love most about this game, apart from it being more of an adventure game and not just HOG scene after HOG scene, is that the devs have obviously been listening to our comments because you can access the bonus content immediately on purchase and only the Epilogue is locked until you have completed the main game .

There are 60 special objects to find, 14 Soundtracks, 36 Concept Arts, 6 Wallpapers, 2 Cut Scenes to view and 34 Achievements to earn in case you were wondering . A very quick look at the Strategy Guide because I didn't want to spoil the game revealed 6 Chapters plus the Epilogue so the game has reasonable length and in the time I played I only completed about two thirds of chapter one and I was playing on the Advanced setting. The Strategy Guide also contains words telling you what to do as well as the pictures .

All in all this game looks like being good value for the money and I wish I had time to play more now but alas real life is interfering so I must dash, have fun adventurers .

Cherb

ETA ... typo

ETA 2 ... Well it took me 9 hours 45 minutes to complete the game including making coffee and struggling to do the drawing puzzles with these very uncooperative hands. In the end I had to skip one because I just found it impossible to do it in one continuous movement and had to skip and so I only managed to complete 61 out of the 62 puzzles but I did my best . Will tackle the Epilogue when my hands have been rested .

Edited on 01/23/2012 at 12:55:28 PM PST

SolarEclipse
Minnow
Minnow
230 Posts

[Post New]by SolarEclipse on Jan 22, 12 2:16 AM
I just finished the demo and the time ran out on me before I finished Chapter 1. This is DEFINITELY one of Boomzap's creepiest and weirdest games to date. The graphics are more like "Awakening: Moonfell Wood." In other words, not as sharp and crisp like "Death at Fairing Point." But to me, they still don't seem as clean as the "Awakening" or "Dana Knightstone" games.

I liked it. But it is kind of creepy. It's like the horror version of "Awakening: Moonfell Wood." It's a little strange. I'm kind of scared to buy it because I don't know where this is really going. It's a little disturbing. You can only see the first 2 chapters in the strategy guide. The second chapter looked fine, but it's the others I'm worried about. Overall, it feels like a bizarre twist on their "Awakening" games. However, it is intriguing. But I'm undecided. I love their games....but I'm not sure about this one. I wish I could see a full walkthhrough before purchasing.

The main game has 6 Chapters and the bonus Epilogue Chapter which is much like most of the Boomzap Collector's Editions.

I would HIGHLY recommend playing the demo before you buy!!!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 22, 12 2:19 AM
WebsiteBoomzap wrote:

And thank you!

EDIT: By survey section, I mean the trial period. You'll know when you get the map - you can't miss it.

And there's a map to go with all the other fine attributes of the game.
Just another plus for this excellent game.
Over the top quality----thanks WebsiteBoomzap!

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Jan 22, 12 2:40 AM
cbtx wrote:Good morning Valdy and all other fishies,

Enjoy, everyone!

Looks like you get quoted a lot tonight,cbtx! You said it so beautifully and well, but it bears repeating again and again.
I would only add my HUGE thanks to the Devs for giving us access to the bonus material immediately upon purchase. I HAVE already purchased AND set a lovely wallpaper on my desktop. I so love to do this while I play a game!! Thanks again Devs, can't say that enough either!
BK

Go to: