bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Nightfall Mysteries: Black Heart Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jan 26, 12 12:39 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Nightfall Mysteries: Black Heart Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Nightfall Mysteries: Black Heart Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

Re:Reviews for Nightfall Mysteries: Black Heart Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jan 26, 12 1:08 AM
Excellent graphics, SG stays on the played screen, very fast hint recharge. The hint system is helpful out of the HOS only by arrow directions. Lovely animation.

One of my favorite developers: Curse at the Opera, Nightmare at Sea. Cudos!

Length:
6 chapters (50 pages on the SG).
Bonus chapter (9 pages on the SG) - (above the average 50 pages, including bonus play).

Thanks BF for posting...

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Jan 26, 12 1:14 AM
Goodday fishies!

These devs are appreciated devs by me, so I've saved 2 gamecredits and bought this new release right away.
And... it seems worth the money so far. Although people that hate spiders may think differently, so be warned.
Yep, it's around a spooky manor again and once more you go looking for an abducted relative. But I don't mind, as long as the game looks good and is interesting to play. Well, this one is, IMO.
Beautiful graphics, nicely challenging minigames and clevermade H0 scenes. You really have to look sharp, sometimes things are hidden very well.
Furthermore it contains one of my favorite game-objects SPOILER: a cablecar! END OF SPOILER. Great! Now to go and fix it!

All in all a good TGT and in my eyes worth the credits.

Enjoy!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 26, 12 1:21 AM
Good morning, fishies...

This review is based on the demo, which I played in Casual mode:

There are 5 chapters and the bonus chapter. All are open to view in the demo.

The SG (strategy guide shows) only stays open where you last left it open.

There is widescreen (stretched).

There is voice-over.

There are 3 cursor choices: Big and small custom cursor and the system cursor.

There are 3 gameplay modes. I am happy to say that even in Casual mode there were no sparkes except when a HOS (hidden object scene) is shown.

There is a Journal, which has a "Clues" section, and a "Collectables" section (you can collect 15 opera masks), and there is a section for audio tapes (15).

There is also a MAP in the journal, which doesn't appear right at the beginning of the game. The map shows your position, your objectives, and unexplored parts of the area, but it can't be used to jump.

The HOS have lists of white, yellow and green text. The yellow and green text items need to be either interacted with or combined with another item.

The HINT button refills within 14 seconds.

The puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes about 45 seconds to fill.

The graphics are OK, but a little on the rough side.

--- --- ---

I am sorry to say that I wasn't thrown off my chair with excitement when I played the 1-hour demo, but had enough fun to want to buy this game when the SE comes out.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Jan 26, 12 1:36 AM
I liked the demo. Storyline is good and a creepy old mansion. Like the voices that I have heard so far.

One mini game I had not seen before but I liked it. Graphics are good but I have seen sharper and better graphics.

On my way to purchase. As stated above there are spiders and bugs yucky.

Happy game day

Finished the game and very happy I purchased it. I have the other games also and loved them. I was a little disappointed in the length of the bonus I forgot to time it but it felt short and I am left wanting more, another 30 minutes would of been fantastic. oops forgot to mention the 3 differant sizes of cursor was a super idea.

Edited on 01/26/2012 at 7:33:09 AM PST

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jan 26, 12 1:38 AM
Hmmm, I'm missing something here... it's as if the dev took a bunch of themes and plots and graphics, (of various qualities from good to poor) wrote and designed them out, put them into a bag, shook them up and developed a game from whatever fell out onto the table. I don't get it. Did not make sense from the get-go to me.

Possible spoilers ahead:

Examples I'm trying to pull out of my head (which is spinning at the moment... ok, so a villain, cuts access to a castle you need to get to, elegant statues are mixed up with gaudy gnomes, romantic theme with gothic, gross with elegant and such, then all of a sudden your at a PLAYGROUND? Right, lots of estate entrances are located next to a rundown playgrounds which also serve as a cable station... so you conveniently fix the cable car to arrive at the estate/castle grounds, (oh and the villain somehow is on the roof enroute) wow, THAT was convenient.... you get to the estate, a formal garden with medieval theme, with a flamingo stuck in for good measure, you use black gunk to kill a little plant to get a part you need yet have to then find shears to get into the garden... helicopter crash almost hits you in the middle of the garden, and yet when the character "goes to see if the pilot was killed", it is actually a H0G scene and never find out about the pilot.... uh, too busy looking into a wishing well?? Whaaat?? what happened to the poor guy? What is going one, here?? These are just some of the examples that have me scratching my head... the puzzles were a mixed bag... but easy so far as the demo.

End of spoilers...

Yikes, sorry, lol, too many weird, illogical wackiness going on... it would be different if there was a storyline to follow. Am I missing something here? Perhaps one had to play the previous games?? Well, maybe it's just too late at night here or something, but I doubt I'll be getting into this game at all, lol. Maybe during a sale, etc.

Edited to lighten color for spoiler section

Edited on 01/26/2012 at 1:44:35 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 26, 12 1:48 AM
Valdy has just posted an excellent and comprehensive review so I will add only a couple of comments.

Although some are tiring of the spooky doings at the various locations, I lke all of them particularly when they are done this well. The story once again grabbed me immediately and I really like the spoiler portion that CasualGran refers to in her review.

I like the fact that the hint button can be used effectively outside the hidden object scenes for additional help, and it tells you if there is nothing to do without charging you the hint----a very nice bit of programming.

And this developer (Vast----if the mods don't remove the name) has now gone to the widescreen option that gives the game so much more appeal. They, like so many, are catching on to the fact that this extra effort will result in additional appeal and sales. It is truly beginning to look like the developERS that don't offer this are being left further and further behind. Too bad for them.

Overall, an excellent game that I am happy to highly recommend!

Everyone enjoy.

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Jan 26, 12 2:14 AM
Add this game to the bounty of lovely, addictive, fun and in some, great new game innovations in this months CE'S.
The story here is not new but the game play is smooth and logical. There are fun interactive hidden object scenes. So far have not had to find any ubiquitous keys, advancement is made by solving puzzles or using items found along your journey.
The included map helps to keep you on track and the hint button is also useful outside the hidden object scenes. I leave the reviews of the sound and voice overs to others since I never use them. Happy Gaming.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 26, 12 2:20 AM
FORTUNATUS wrote:snipped ...
Hmmm, I'm missing something here... it's as if the dev took a bunch of themes and plots and graphics, (of various qualities from good to poor) wrote and designed them out, put them into a bag, shook them up and developed a game from whatever fell out onto the table. I don't get it. Did not make sense from the get-go to me.

That is exactly how I felt as I was playing but I will start at the beginning.

First of all I always check to see what the extras are going to be and in this case there was absolutely nothing to see but empty boxes. However as I played and found a certain object the book opened and I was told that I needed 6 of these objects to unlock the Music and Concept Art and 12 to unlock the Hidden Object Games and Puzzles ... as there are 15 of these objects to find it makes me wonder what the last 3 unlock, if it is the wallpaper why not just say so .

OK so I am playing the game and as I find things I get comments such as

"I should keep my eye out for where I can use it"

This sort of comment is totally unnecessary in my opinion because of course we are keeping an eye out for where to use it as that is the point of the game .

Another comment that got my back up was the

"What a good find"

How condescending is that .

Sorry devs your comments are not endearing your game to me whatsoever, in fact they are having the opposite effect .

Another comment is when you encounter the "baddie" in the brown cape and he tells you you are not wanted here "you worm" ... that one actually made me laugh because if that is the worst the baddie can call you he isn't much of a baddie and so should be easy to best and so I am now contemplating buying the SE when it comes out.

Cherb

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jan 26, 12 2:35 AM
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your reviews so far! I just wanted to pop in and ask you to refrain from discussing other, unrelated developers and their work in the reviews thread for our games and reserve this thread for reviews on a specific game only.

To discuss an individual developer's work or make comparisons, please feel free to create a new thread in our Chit-Chat Corner.

Please keep in mind that certain developers are also game sites and do not exclusively link back to Big Fish Games, and are therefore not to be named.

The moderation team will go ahead and moderate off topic comments after this post.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

Edited on 01/26/2012 at 3:19:19 AM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jan 26, 12 3:26 AM
Played (casual) 40 minutes of the demo before the game crashed...

- 3 Play modes, casual, advanced, extreme
- 5 chapters + bonus play
- Integrated SG
- Notebook which contains a map
- H0, you interfere in 3 different ways, shown by different colors naming the objects to find
- Mini games easy
- Graphics OK but far from excellent ones I've see in games
- You collects masks trough the game
- Voiceovers...the voice of the guy sounded like a woman's voice, strange
- Hint refills really quickly
- Skip button, didn't test it

Cont...

Edited on 01/26/2012 at 3:27:16 AM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jan 26, 12 3:34 AM
I was expecting a lot from this game and have been really disappointed. Couldn't make head or tail of the story, highly illogical. You play without entering the game as it's too incredible (this hooded man who makes you fall from a teleferic, only to call you "worm" afterwards and not harming you... ). LOL !

Each time you find an object, you're told some kind of "well done" or "this might be useful later", which devs could have really avoided, as it's annoying more than anything else. If you find an object you know that you're going to use it in the game and that you're not going to take it to hide it in a drawer in you stitting room.

This game is a big disappointment and a no buy for me.

LadyLark
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by LadyLark on Jan 26, 12 3:41 AM
Not going to post a full review, others have already done so better than I. This is a no-buy for me and I own and have played the previous two. I agree with FORTUNATUS about the story line--it seems to be all over the place and, frankly, boring. Cherbtoo's observation about the patronizing comments is bang on. H.O.s were piles of junk -- very disappointed every time one appeared on the screen! BUT, my big deal-breaker is the font. It is low-res and pixillated. I cannot get past this. How that made it through BFG quality control into CE territory is beyond me. Maybe as a DD should the day come, but definitely not a CE!

ETA: All that said, I would like a little gargoyle nightlight!

Edited on 01/26/2012 at 3:46:31 AM PST

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on Jan 26, 12 3:52 AM
I have to agree that the game is all over the place so much so that I do not know what pre-games went with this one.

I agree the screens were fuzzy, and please "worm" wow that was just weird. LOL

I did find that sometimes the **** interactive objects you have to be spot on when interacting.
I know I rarely buy CEs and this one is a no buy for me, not sure even about the SE.

I give this game a 3 out of 5. IMO this is not a bad game just not quite together/organized.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jan 26, 12 4:24 AM
[removed by moderator]

Edited on 01/26/2012 at 4:53:05 AM PST

ZuluDawn13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by ZuluDawn13 on Jan 26, 12 4:28 AM
Other Fishies have already given a fairly good description of this game so I won't cover the same areas.

I think I'll pass this game up because -

It does not have high quality graphics and seems like several people tried their hand at creating scenes with mixed results. (some good art and some not)

It has Junk Pile Hidden Object Scenes and stuff is too hard to find.

Storyline is confusing..

Not worth a CE rating and even as an SE I would not buy it.

Pity, I wanted to like it.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jan 26, 12 5:08 AM
Review after playing about 40 minutes of the demo:

I think I am going to purchase this game. The story does seem a bit "disjointed" thus far but may "come together" further into the game.

The graphics are very nice. I had the speakers on for only a short time (I normally do not use the speakers during a game) just to listen to the voices and the music which seem OK to me. The **** scenes thus far have not been piled up and are colorful with some interaction which I do like. Some of the items/words requested are a bit harder to find than it might seem when first entering the scene and looking at the graphics. I tried "over-clicking" but didn't get a misclick penalty.

It seems that even if I "find" something that I know I'll need, I have to click a particular item or scene and be told I will need "something" before I can go back and get it...might just be a delay on my computer though. I do like being able to click through the dialog and being able to "click outside the box" to close the pop-ups. Another thing I really cannot remember...it seemed like whenever I clicked on something like a box to look at, etc, the inventory bar would open leading me to think there was something there that I would need at sometime.

Thus far, the puzzles have not been too hard, and there is one I haven't seen before in HOGs that I've played.

I don't know the length of the game, but I got to a scene in Chapter 2 before I stopped playing the demo.

The game will be a "buy" for me.

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Jan 26, 12 5:27 AM
[removed by moderator]

Edited on 01/26/2012 at 6:03:03 AM PST

maryerbe
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by maryerbe on Jan 26, 12 5:31 AM
hello every 1,i really dont know what to make of this game i played half of the 60mintues,and to me its very mixed up i think theres to much in 1 area ,not sure which way im going ,the story is ok ,itjust didnt grab me so im going to finish it and see if it gets any better .??

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jan 26, 12 5:34 AM
Fantastic game in my opinion

Loved the graphics and voice overs. It has 3 difficulty modes and I played the demo on casual.

The hidden object scenes really impressed me. A bit more difficult than usual and very interactive. Luckily the hint refills very fast

The mini games that I got to play in the hour were not that difficult.

The SG is easy to navigate and read. It does not keep pace with you though. I think it would be playable with out the guide as it has a pretty detailed map.

Definitely going on my wish list. Right now I have a game to start that I just got

Go to: