textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

Comments for Nightfall Mysteries: Black Heart

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jan 26, 12 3:23 AM
A place for your comments about the game.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

Re:Comments for Nightfall Mysteries: Black Heart

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jan 26, 12 3:28 AM
I was disappointed with this developer's return to dark and eerie (Cursed Memories: Agony Creek and Shattered Minds: Masquerade) as I thought they both fell way short of Nightfall Mysteries: Curse of the Opera and Asylum Conspiracy.

I'm most anxious to see what they've done with the storyline...

Edited on 01/26/2012 at 4:22:29 PM PST

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jan 26, 12 3:44 AM
Based on the demo, this is an acceptable offering. Nothing new or original, but it's bright and colourful. The puzzles are doable. The story is not worth mentioning, but the game play itself is entertaining enough. Nice clear graphics. HOS are not a headache, with everything a decent size and recognizable. Can't remember anything about the music, so I'm guessing it's nothing special. Nice voice-overs.

What's that you say? Will I buy it?

Oops, look at that, already did!

LEOTA26
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by LEOTA26 on Jan 26, 12 3:49 AM
I don't know what it is exactly, but I found this game lacking. The art work of this game is nowhere near as good as the previous two Nighfall Mysteries. I think I can wait for the SE of this game. Maybe I'll go and replay the first two and see if I can't put my finger on why I don't care for this one like I did the other two.

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on Jan 26, 12 3:56 AM
Ah, I am glad I looked at this thread. I was wondering what games went with this one! OK I loved the others, this one as I stated in my review is just not right.

Not even sure I will get the SE since I really do not like fuzzy HOs

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 26, 12 3:57 AM
The fact that this is a sequel is a bit more inportant than one might think. Familiarity with the first ones would help a little in the play of this game.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jan 26, 12 4:35 AM
Well, so far I'm actually quite pleased! For one, Derek Stead is back as Game Designer (which was apparent immediately) and Pawl Romasz is in place as Art Director. The game starts out slowly and builds slowly like the first two (although I wish they had done some homework regarding play modes and guidance.)

I believe I'm gonna gamble and purchase this one...this series is one of my favorites. I'm only 20 minutes into the game (not enough for a proper demo review) but I'm liking it so far and I have high hopes. From what I've seen, it's far superior to the last two offerings (not from this series).

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jan 26, 12 4:57 AM
Hi everyone,

Just popping by to note it's totally fine to mention this developer's name (Vast Studios), as their website forwards the user exclusively to Big Fish Games and isn't a game portal.

bfgRhone

[Post New]by heatherington on Jan 26, 12 5:02 AM
It was nice of them to give us the whole download for the free trial that way when we bought it we didn't have to wait again. I love this series and I knew I was going to buy it right away. I remember every game very well because I played them more than once and I never do that for any other game but MCF or Dream Day.

That was the good here is the bad. Your SG is so blurry and tiny I can't read it, but it really isn't necessary because it is hardly needed. If you look around carefully enough you can find what you need and the mini games have been pretty easy. Thanks and thanks very much to Vast.

Edited on 01/26/2012 at 5:03:58 AM PST

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Jan 26, 12 10:23 AM
I have been standing by waiting patiently for this game to come out. I bought it immeditaly and cant wait to play it. These are my types of game, all I can say is I love love love love it.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jan 26, 12 10:47 AM
Really liked the first two in the series and was all prepared to go
the CE route for this one, but like several others, just not that
excited about it.

Art work doesn't seem as good as the previous two, I also found
the H0s fuzzied up and objects somewhat distorted.

Just not worth a CE for me. Will demo the SE when it comes out
and probably buy. Not a bad game, but I can wait.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jan 26, 12 11:11 AM
joyce2121 wrote:Really liked the first two in the series and was all prepared to go
the CE route for this one, but like several others, just not that
excited about it.

Art work doesn't seem as good as the previous two, I also found
the H0s fuzzied up and objects somewhat distorted.

Just not worth a CE for me. Will demo the SE when it comes out
and probably buy. Not a bad game, but I can wait.

I agree - maybe a dd. But it's all too fuzzy for me.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jan 26, 12 2:56 PM
Wow - I liked it. I haven't played the bonus game yet, but the regular game play took me seven hours on extreme mode.

Thought the storyline was excellent and followed the first two games very well. Most of the puzzles were much easier than the first two games, but the hidden object scenes offered lots of variety so the game wasn't boring and I thought they were well done artistically, with objects well done so they weren't so obvious .

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jan 26, 12 2:58 PM
Wow - I liked it. I haven't played the bonus game yet, but the regular game play took me seven hours on extreme mode.

Thought the storyline was excellent and followed the first two games very well. Most of the puzzles were much easier than the first two games, but the hidden object scenes offered lots of variety so the game wasn't boring and I thought they were well done artistically, with objects well done so they weren't so obvious .

I played in widescreen mode (as opposed to full screen) and thought that the graphics were very sharp in all the HOS, as well as other scenes.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Jan 26, 12 4:18 PM
Yeppers - it's sure fuzzy & distorted - couldn't even make it through the demo.

So - here's the million dollar question - what do you need to set your screen resolution to in order to get this OUT of widescreen?

Yes - normally it's the opposite problem - but this one just isn't working for me all streeeeetched out

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jan 26, 12 4:22 PM
I'm using my desktop PC, so I unclicked widescreen, left fullscreen selected and that put it into widescreen mode. My display is always set to 1920 x 1080.

Edited on 01/26/2012 at 4:22:55 PM PST

oscar66
Herring
Herring
307 Posts

[Post New]by oscar66 on Jan 26, 12 8:59 PM
Everything is clear as a bell for me. My initial reaction was WOW and way to go Ontario for supporting them. I think this is some of the most cleverly hidden objects that I've ever seen. I am generally very good at these hidden object scenes, "seeing" everything right away. But these ones are tough. I have spent a lot of time looking around in the few I've done so far and they are beautiful. The different objects that you can spot in the (I beleive) second one with the spider web and the tree trunk as an alligator; I think the camoflaguing is superb. I am stuck on the sandbox right now (as I refuse to use a hint) looking for a darn pencil that I just can't see. 45 minutes in and I have yet to get that third gear for the cable car. No technical difficulties for me, a definite buy. I enjoyed the two other Nightfall games, thought the storylines were great, Agony Creek not so much and have yet to play Shattered MInds.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Jan 27, 12 7:00 AM
Sheerija wrote:Based on the demo, this is an acceptable offering. Nothing new or original, but it's bright and colourful. The puzzles are doable. The story is not worth mentioning, but the game play itself is entertaining enough. Nice clear graphics. HOS are not a headache, with everything a decent size and recognizable. Can't remember anything about the music, so I'm guessing it's nothing special. Nice voice-overs.

What's that you say? Will I buy it?

Oops, look at that, already did!

That's how I felt. I'm just disappointed in how CE's are becoming more the norm than the exception nowadays. Recipe: Take one average game, add in pictures, a screensaver, and stir. Serve up as overpriced collector's edition. Come on developers. I mean seriously, would YOU pay that price?

huffpatsy
Herring
Herring
301 Posts

[Post New]by huffpatsy on Jan 27, 12 11:33 AM
I am disappointed in this game, not my kind of game. I don't recommend it.

[Post New]by clpayne on Jan 27, 12 6:38 PM
On my 25 inch desktop, graphics were not clear, which would have been OK as other games seem to be done this way on purpose, but what I couldn't stand was the the pixilated lettering in the written text of the game. I had to quit after 8 minutes because it was so annoying. Much prefer the black bars and clear lettering!

Go to: