bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Haunted Houdini Deluxe

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jan 28, 12 12:11 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Midnight Mysteries: Haunted Houdini Deluxe? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Midnight Mysteries: Haunted Houdini Deluxe page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Haunted Houdini Deluxe

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 28, 12 1:10 AM
Good morning, fishies...

This review is based on the trial version, which I played in Easy mode.

There are 3 gameplay modes.

The SG (strategy guide) stays open where you left it.

There are only 2 choices for the custom cursor: large and moving, and small and still. No choice for system cursor.

There is no voice-over.

There is widescreen.

There is a journal, but no map.

The graphics are very well done.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are interactive.

The HINT button in form of the Raven can also be used outside of the HOS.

When you click on an item in the inventory list, a silhouette of this item will appear in the HINT section.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes a long time to fill (and that in easy mode).

There are the usual RAVENS for HINTS, and CLOVERS to collect.

There are Achievements.

At the bottom of the screen are the inventory list and a "Goal" tab.

--- --- ---

Enjoyed playing the hour, even though I wasn't thrown off my chair with excitement, and will buy the game.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jan 28, 12 1:11 AM
Demo looks great, ended to buy with 12 minutes to go; I try not to use hints unless last resort and don't use SG's while playing. I peek at them for reviews and this one looks as good as any other I suppose (and it's FREE; ie, being a DELUXE version) so that should appeal to many. Looks REALLY good & offers a lot for a $6.99 game!!!!!!

So far it is informative (life of Houdini), scary and challenging with a couple of gotcha surprises.... looks like a great mix! I hope the theme doesn't twist into too much of a gore fest, etc, or reduce in quality as the game goes on, but I doubt it will and so far, so GOOD!

Offers a strategy guide (as mentioned), achievement awards as well as 2 game level choices. Hints are 'collected' (ravens) and clovers as well, to receive a bonus at the end. Excellent graphics and compelling storyline. Will look forward to continuing tomorrow, since it's late here.

I am VERY pleased; way to go, , wish everyone else the same happy gaming!

Edited on 01/28/2012 at 2:23:42 AM PST

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Jan 28, 12 1:13 AM
Three modes of play - Casual, Advanced and Hardcore ( don't think the last was actually called that but I forgot).

There are achievements and like the previous games of this series clovers to collect to unlock unlimited mode. (hoping it is more unlimited than the previous ones where unlimited just meant more than the original lists not everything in the room)

I am enjoying the storyline. I do not think the SG is very helpful . It does not follow along with where you are but it also doesn't just go back to the beginning either. The mini games were explained well on their own and the only point so far that I needed help was in the HOG scenes. I refuse to use a hint as that is one of the achievements but the SG does not show any of the HOG scenes.

There is not too much walking around. Each chapter has just a few places to go so a map is not necessary. The journal keeps things up to date

The graphics and gameplay are like the previous in the series. I will be getting this game as a Deluxe. I do not get CE's anymore unless they are on sale. I don't think the bonus is enough to pay double. For a SE price it is definately worth it IMO.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jan 28, 12 1:24 AM
I am really enjoying the game. The graphics are crisp and nice looking. There's a delightful, foggy "ambiance" in some places, including hidden object scenes. It looks like real fog, not like they've just clouded/smudged the artwork on purpose. I really like that there are achievements (I love when games have those!), although some of them you get just for completing things you must complete to move ahead in the game. There are also clovers to collect and ravens to find to give you hints. I like to try and find all of them. The puzzles are fine so far, although in the trial I found nothing that was too difficult. The story is really interesting. The second location (after you leave the first main location that isn't the "office" room) was totally unexpected. Also unexpected: Things leap out at you! The first time I had no idea what was going to happen. The second time it occurred I could tell something was going to leap out at me so I braced myself. LoL

I have to agree with govols2 that the strategy guide isn't very helpful. I didn't really need it, but I looked at it a few times to see how it worked. The screenshots are tiny and I did not see a way to enlarge them. The objects in the hidden objects scenes are not highlighted, just the things you need to click as an extra step to complete the scenes. Why does it choose what page to show you? It's never the area I'm in!

For the regular price, it's fine and a nice, enjoyable semi-spooky game.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jan 28, 12 1:30 AM
I'm a huge fan of the "Midnight Mysteries Series". And this is a great edition to it. This series has some of the best animations in any game. I love having the option to have the SG with this Deluxe Edition for the price of SE games. I do wish they would have added voiceover's, but they didn't. The only negative thing I can say about this game is...the font they use in the Journal is very difficult to read. But other than that, this is my only negative remark about this game. I really like it alot! This is a must have game. IMO It's a definite buy for me. Be sure to collect all the clover's. Enjoy!

NO: Voiceover's
YES: Full Screen/No: Wide screen, There is No Wide Screen option in the menu. It has a Full Screen option in the menu. It did fit my wide screen automatically, but most of the time I have to adjust the DPI when there is no wide screen option. But with this game, I didn't have to adjust the DPI and it gave me a Full Screen.
YES: Options to have no Sparkles in choice of mode.
YES: Animated Cursor
YES: 3 Mode's of Play/casual/expert/advanced
YES: Sound/Music separate
THEME: "Haunted Mystery"

I rate this game: “FINE SWINE”
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

Edited on 01/28/2012 at 4:21:31 AM PST

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Jan 28, 12 1:38 AM
I agree with all of the positive reviews. I liked the game and have all of the others in this series.

Voice overs would have made this game super. Graphics as awhole are good but the crows are a little difficult to find for me as they are mostly in a dark place lol black on black.

Not sure if I am going to purchase this new DE.

Happy game day

[Post New]by CasualGamePlayer on Jan 28, 12 1:39 AM
This review is based on the trial.

Graphics are lovely, very clear, bright and detailed.

Widescreen

Music is appropriate to the theme of the game.

Three modes of play:
Casual with some sparkles and a steady recharge of the hint and skip option (although skip option seemed very long for me).
Advance with no sparkle and longer hint and skip recharge.
Expert no sparkle, and longer hint recharge with no ravens ( raven for speed refill).

The Strategy guide is accessible whilst playing and maintains the spot where last opened.
A section for different achievements, a total of 16 achievements in total.
A special unlimited hidden object mode, after finding forty clovers.

During my trial (round 40minutes), I found two hidden object scenes with two puzzles and one ‘magic/trick’. I found the hidden object scene clear and easy to see, not too difficult not too easy.. I enjoyed the ‘magic/trick’, it is in keeping of the game theme of the Magic. I don’t know much about Houdini but the mystery seems intriguing and I imagine those who know more about the story of Houdini will be interested too.
Although the SG is included I usually do not use them and only checked to see what it offers. I imagine the SG will be helpful to those who like to use them as it is accessible whilst playing, so guess it is a good option for those people. The SG does not indicate the full length of the game, it only shows the demo, so I have no idea how long the actual game may be.
As I enjoyed the demo and I have a game club credit that can be used on it(I have too many). I will buy the game. Happy gaming everyone.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jan 28, 12 1:59 AM
I have all Midnight Mysteries games. I enjoyed them all.

When I played the Beta of this game, I thought: 'Meh, objects too small (in HOS), don't find my hands and legs in the Adventure mode'.

Well, objects are too small in the HOS, but I "saw" them using the SG...
When in Adventure mode, still some objects are small and blended to the background - but with the integral SG I could manage... .

I enjoy mainly the Paranormal theme (in each of the series' games). If you don't like this theme - stay away... .

The plot contains a lot of historical info about dead authors - I like it, even if some info is not quite real, but imagined.

I don't like the collection of the clovers, never managed to collect 70 and open the unlimited HOG section (in all the games).

Thanks, developers, thanks BF!

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Jan 28, 12 2:00 AM
Ok I am really excited because I too have a bunch of club credits that need to be spent. I hope that the price does not have any bearings on the length of the game.
Great graphics, three modes of gameplay, SG that keeps its place, achievements and interactive HOS. Off to buy, have a great week-end everyone.

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Ok I am really excited because I too have a bunch of club credits that need to be spent. I hope that the price does not have any bearings on the length of the game.
Great graphics, three modes of gameplay, SG that keeps its place, achievements and interactive HOS. Off to buy, have a great week-end everyone.

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Jan 28, 12 2:04 AM
Yeah finally will be ale to spend a club credit on a great game. I hope this delux price tag does not have any bearing on the length of the game. Needles to say, have to spend my credt before they expire. Have a great week-end everyone...

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jan 28, 12 2:14 AM

Doing my HAPPY DANCE!!!

I really like the quality of these Midnight Mysteries and they have good stories to boot.

I love that you start out being led by the same Raven to the same office as the Mark Twain game - even with his bust on the mantel.

And you get the SG in this game for the price of an sE game.

Can't beat BFG!!!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jan 28, 12 2:15 AM
Fantastic! is my first impression, programmed to auto display wide screen on my 17" laptop. Not just the opening video, but once into the game no black bars, and doesn't appear stretched nor distorted. Sold!

Liked the first games in series and this feels more fun, ravens and clovers to look for and so far clovers big enough to see. From the first tutorial or SG page it indicates symbols to find those. HOS aren't usually in WTs or SGs as they are random, lists will change on replay. Even when WTs show H0s they are never on the version I'm looking at.

Crisp, clear graphics, things easy to see even in HOS. You get just one hint to start, so I relied on SG to help me find the way to get into the house as demo is timed (I thought), or I'd taken more time when I buy it, I like to play slow and thoughtful, hoping there is logic. The first card game and lock combination even I could figure out.

SG not on room I was in, back out and follow their path in the guide, or wander around if that's your fun.

Achievements as you go, and looks like one bonus is a M3 at the end yippee, I like those. There are 2 bonus games, but not extended chapter or story. So, it's got everything else we get in CEs except the extras few gamers want, wallpaper etc.

I have coupons to use and happy I waited til end of month to find a good SE, rather not get more M3s or mahjong so this is perfect. I DO love SGs integrated to keep up the flow if major stuck and frustrated. I'd pay ten bucks for games like this if I didn't have pccs, or 2 pccs for THIS QUALITY. Now I don't have to fork over $13.99 to fill 3 punches, have the CEs of SEs offered. One beautiful DE including bonus M3, and will fill 2 more punches free as this was free.

I'm sure I will be a DE shopper and hope we get more. I really can't see how they could make this game for only $6.99 so I think the in-between SE and CE is fair. Voice overs would just make a far larger file to download, and most cases they aren't professional actors anyway upping costs.

Off to buy and resume play. Fun for intermediate (me).

(anti occult players may not appreciate the "magic" elements or ghosts, a seance, phoney or not, but Houdini thought them hoaxes too. Mystery element is Who killed Houdini? if you just like myteries. I don't anticipate demons or gore)

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 28, 12 3:16 AM
I am a big fan of the "Midnight Mysteries" series of games. Each game is complete and different----not a sequel relying on the same theme or characters----but a story told in entirety.
I am also a big fan of Erik Weisz who arrived in this country at age 4 and went on to become one of America's first superstars----the great Harry Houdini.
So I was intrigued to see how his story would be told in a casual game and huge surprise----there are many facets of the game that are based in fact. Houdini's relationship with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was real, the peculiar circumstances of his demise are real, and his promise to contact his wife from the afterlife is the stuff of legend. So big kudos to [removed by moderator](can I say the dev name?) for this attention to detail.

The game is in Widescreen which adds to the clarity, overall beauty, and crispness of detail----more kudos to the dev for this! (But then again, they began offering widescreen on their last game so it's nothing new for them)
Excellent game control adds to the excellent graphics throughout.
The hidden object scenes offer interaction and the objects are easy to find.
Puzzles are easy, but fun.
The crows and clovers are back, the former for hints and the latter for opening bonus hidden object play. Both are quite easy to find.
There are magic tricks to prepare then watch----an example of very original innovation that adds tremendous visual appeal to the game.
The SG stays where you leave it, so it's easy to find what you need.
An original, innovative, cleverly done game that shows just how good these games are becoming----kudos again to the dev for improving their product with each new release.
Excellent game, great fun.
Enjoy!

Edited on 02/09/2012 at 4:21:23 PM PST

[Post New]by maggieannie43 on Jan 28, 12 3:17 AM
I did not like this game at all it was very dark graphics, I do not like altering my monitor for each game I play. The story line was odd and I found it very boring it was so dark I had a hard job to find the hidden objects the raven or the clover and ye I do wear glasses, I was hoping better for a deluxe the games are usually CE or rubbish lately I have not found anything to buy lately which is most unusual for me. This one is a definite NO BUY

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jan 28, 12 4:13 AM
I forgot to mention how much I like the hint system. Word or riddle list and if you click a word the Raven shows you the shadow image, shape without costing you a hint. Sometimes shapes pop out at me when my brain isn't recognizing an object I'm looking for. With just one hint to start I was scared to use it as I think it does recharge for another one but not sure. But each time you spot a raven and click the hints add up for use anyway.

I had no problem with dark corners or black on almost black since I play on a laptop and can tilt the screen back and up which lightens the whole screen. Try sitting up, change head position helps with a monitor. I can tilt pc monitor but easier to tilt my head. On my old pc I've always kept brightness setting on 100%, and can change contrast a bit so colors or objects aren't blurred with background. I learned this on first MCF Huntsville, many objects I just memorized locations and had never seen some dark ones or white on white. Nothing wrong with these games, learn to tweak your settings and everything, web pages etc will look better. I keep them set and don't have to change just for one game. I'm sorry to see when others miss a great game because of this (and I've a cataract and one good eye at 75).

We ask for more games to use punch card credits on, SEs are slim pickens if you buy CEs so if DE prices go up, here's a chance to use maybe 2, or 1, but for now thanks for letting us try them out at this price. I love SGs but wasn't expecting some extra bonus games and achievements. A lot for the money without buying CEs just to get some great ihogs. I really like the interactive hogs and not all static screens.
There are difficulty choices but this game still may be too easy for some experts, it's just my size and may take me 2 nights to play it but no hair pulling. Stress-free!

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Jan 28, 12 4:27 AM
Goodday fishies!

The TGT appears to be the fourth in the Midnight Mysteries series. This time it's around Houdini, the famous escape-artist, who's been haunted by annoying spirits.

The game's NOT annoying however, it's GREAT! Crisp and colourful graphics, not too junkpiley H0 scenes and enjoyable minigames.

All this comes to us for the regular price, which is one more reason to be cheerfull.

5 out of 5. Without a doubt!

Enjoy!

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Jan 28, 12 5:36 AM
care___916 wrote:I agree with all of the positive reviews. I liked the game and have all of the others in this series.

Voice overs would have made this game super. Graphics as awhole are good but the crows are a little difficult to find for me as they are mostly in a dark place lol black on black.

Not sure if I am going to purchase this new DE.

Happy game day

When I pay for a game at higher price the first thing I look for is if it has voices I ALWAYS buy the game. For me the voices push the game over the top where it is worth the extra money. I don't want to hear my own voice in my head as if I am reading. I want the added interaction of having the Game Developers to give me the voice of the character.

I am playing games from BF that has awesome voices, I disagree with people who say voices just makes a larger download, if you don't want the voice you can mute it, for people like me that this adds to the enjoyment of the game, we have no choice if it is not included. This is just my opinion I don't speak for everyone. I also watch for the words tiny Hidden objects screens, or Junk piles.

I played the demo got into 15 minutes of it and VERY Impressed at graphics,storyline, mini games. I haven't changed my mind on how much greater of a game it would be to hear the voice of Bess and other characters. However the story intrigues me and magic tricks. Please Game developers can we have voices next time? I bought the game and Finished it just now. I LOVED Enjoyed every moment of the game, even without voices. The story made sense the mini games magic was fun to watch, hints filled up quickly, skips available. Best part about hints is they actually lead you where to go next if you were stuck outside of hidden object screens. Now that is a winner of a game. The game isn't a short game, I feel I got a lot for my money plus achievements were recorded. I feel sorry for people who at least don't try the demo I am so grateful I bought the game can't wait for next in the collection I have them all.

Edited on 01/31/2012 at 1:44:25 PM PST

Go to: