bfgKenai
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

Reviews for Big City Adventure: London Story

[Post New]by bfgKenai on Jan 29, 12 12:18 AM
Hi Fishies!

We’d love to hear what you think of Big City Adventure: London Story ; your reviews are very important to us and to other Fishies. And now you’re more than welcomed to post your thoughts about this game right from the Big City Adventure: London Story page over Here!

For more information about our Game Reviews, please click here.

Once you’ve submitted your review, please feel free to come back and re-post your thoughts in this thread. Remember, a lot of people who will be reading these reviews haven’t played this game yet, so if you’re posting any spoilers, please be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

You can also specify if you played the game from the trial version or the full version and on which level you ended your game play, so that other players can get more out of this discussion !

If you are experiencing technical issues with this game, remember to check out the support thread for this game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!
bfgKenai

Edited on 01/29/2012 at 12:20:55 AM PST

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

Re:Reviews for Big City Adventure: London Story

[Post New]by CasualGran on Jan 29, 12 12:38 AM
Goodday fishies!

This London Story might be the first Big City Adventure I'll be buying. Why? Because it's not packed with all kinds of toys as the objects you have to search for and because this time it's some kind of adventure, instead of just sightseeing and looking for stuff.

Great graphics by the way and... voice-overs! A third pro, IMO!

Furthermore there's a helpfull map and, as usual in this series, you can find coins to use as hints.

In fact, the only con to me is the music. Really annoying but... can be muted of course.

4 out of 5 to me.

Enjoy!

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Jan 29, 12 12:51 AM
OMIGOSH THEY MADE TWO VERSIONS OF THIS GAME. When you download this one you'll see that it's an iHog!!! There is an option to turn the sparkles off!

However you will also see on the main menu page to try the classic which I guess is the soft release for tomorrow.

The graphics for the iHog version are spectacular and completely fills my widescreen.

I've been waiting so long for this game and it's better than ever!!!!

I'm going to try both!

Edited on 01/29/2012 at 12:53:02 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 29, 12 2:08 AM
This review is based on the demo:

At first I didn't want to download the game, because I have outgrown this series - played it when I was new to HOGs some years ago, and enjoyed them then, but not anymore.

However, CasualGran's comments inspired me to try out this game. And what a surprise it was...

There is voice-over, and I love the different accents.

There is an option to turn off the HINTS, which means there are no sparklies that show you where you might find something interesting, nor will you keep zooming in on things of interest.

There is no widescreen (not for me, anyway).

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is a MAP, which you can also use to jump to different areas around London.

There is a WALKTHROUGH !!
This walkthrough doesn't show you the whole of the game, but only the immediate gameplay. You get one hint, and when you click on it, more hints will be revealed.

The graphics are clear and easy on the eye.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) have also nice graphics, and those I have encountered in the demo were not junk piles.

You can collect coins in the HOS, which will add more hints, although it doesn't show a number under the HINT button, so you don't know how many hints are available.

--- --- ---

There are lots of different things to do in different areas at the same time - just the kind of gameplay I like. I was pleasently surprised when I played the demo, and will buy this game.

Edited on 01/29/2012 at 5:03:01 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jan 29, 12 2:13 AM
This game is awsome. It has more options than most CE's. The graphics are crisp and clear. Great voiceover's and a great story. This is a wounderful game. I'm very happy to add this little beauty to my library of games. It's a great game. And a definite buy for me. Be sure to check out this little gem. You willl be pleasantly surprised. Enjoy!

YES: Voiceover's
YES: Full Screen/NO Widescreen option. It fits my widescreen.
YES: Option for NO Sparkles
YES: Journal
YES: Map
YES: Cursor option
YES: Sound/Music/Voice are separate
THEME: Historical Adventure

I rate this game: “PIGLET”
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games.
‘ ‘
(o)

Edited on 01/29/2012 at 2:17:44 AM PST

ZuluDawn13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by ZuluDawn13 on Jan 29, 12 2:16 AM
Nice basic game, music and sounds are ok. Voice overs are good.
Graphics are photo like with cartoonish characters you chat to.

Hidden Object scenes are good with things not too hard to find.

There's an inbuilt Guide and Map. I did find myself constantly Map Hopping and it got on my nerves - find one thing here, one thing there then go back and use the thing you found etc..

Its an ok game but I think I'll pass it up because there's not much challenge involved.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 29, 12 2:41 AM
An interesting game that offers a neat little adventure that has more appeal than I thought it would----in fact, I only decided to try it after seeing what CasualGran and Valdy had to say.
I was very pleasantly surprised not expecting this sort of adventure with a fair amount of challenge at all.
The graphics were surprisingly clear with objects that were very easy to see.
The mix of puzzles (not overly difficult) and hidden object scenes is just right.
There is no widescreen option so the dreaded black bars are present----but it's not a double priced game so that's ok.
Other plusses include the walkthrough, map, and voice-overs.
It offers a pleasant break from the higher drama in some others so it's a buy for me.
But I'm not interested in the classic game at all----too old style to hold my interest as they did a long time ago.
But try this one----lots of fun!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 29, 12 3:04 AM
As soon as I saw the gorgeously crisp bright graphics at the start of the game it was at first sight and being an adventure game was the icing on the cake and made it an instant buy for me after playing the first location.

Thanks devs .

Cherb

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jan 29, 12 3:27 AM
You can choose 2 ways to play :

- auto hints, sparkles, areas of interest
- You can change to harder mode while already playing
- Very good detailed graphics
- Nice way to discover London and it's history
- You pick up coins throughout the game (hint)
- Hint refills quickly
- Not too difficult mini games
- Voiceovers and a fair attempt at humour

This game seems to be a good little game but not enough challenging for me.

Enjoy Brehc !

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Jan 29, 12 3:35 AM
Just spent three hours with my 5 year old grandson playing this. Brilliant, he loved every minute of it. Exactly what it was made for in my opinion, and it does it so well.

Edited on 01/29/2012 at 3:35:58 AM PST

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jan 29, 12 3:45 AM
I was looking forwards to playing this game. It has the option to turn sparkles off (always a plus), a good map and as a bonus, a built in walkthrough. BUT being British (and I was born in London), the stereotypical stupid so called 'English' voice's are very irritating.

I don't know anyone who speaks this type of 'English', and never have. The fact you can't skip the dialogue is also an annoyance.
I'm never one for really taking an interest in game story lines, although I read the important bits. Most of the hour trial was taken up with dialogue. Even though I'd clicked the sparkle hints to 'off', they still popped up in certain places (and I mean as well as the HOG scenes).

The items (or active spots) are too small as well. I love HOPA games, but this one doesn't inspire me. Looking for tiny items along the way is a strain on the eyes, and when hitting the hint button, you don't always get a clear indication of what you're supposed to do. The inbuilt walkthrough is a nice idea, but the one time I needed it, it didn't help me with the bit of the game I was stuck at. Pressing hint button just kept throwing sparkles at a person, and even now after finishing the trial I have no idea of what it meant.

I have loads of punchcard vouchers, but can't bring myself to get this game, even for free. I was so hoping for a CE today, especially as Mudrock had told us one was being released for PC and Mac on same day. Maybe tomorrow... )

hazelize
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by hazelize on Jan 29, 12 3:50 AM
It struck me right away as a kid's game. I thought the voiceovers were annoying and way too loud and the game itself was kind of silly.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 29, 12 4:00 AM
belamba wrote:I was looking forwards to playing this game. It has the option to turn sparkles off (always a plus), a good map and as a bonus, a built in walkthrough. BUT being British (and I was born in London), the stereotypical stupid so called 'English' voice's are very irritating.

I don't know anyone who speaks this type of 'English', and never have. The fact you can't skip the dialogue is also an annoyance.

Awww... come on. It's a hoot. 'ello 'ello 'ello. London bobby 'ere.

This is so stereotypical, as you said, it just made me smile.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jan 29, 12 5:12 AM
Oh, Goody, goody, goody! Combine this one with "BCA London--Classic" and you've got a very-well-done CE! A "minus"? Perhaps (just "perhaps") a "kids'" game. A "plus"? A really fun "kids'" game! And I can't speak for anyone else, but I could use some "silliness" right now!

For the price of a large box of buttered popcorn at the movie theater, we've got a game that includes a W/T, voice acting, geography, history, and education. Put it together with the "Classic," and we've got a textbook of London styles!

(I'll have more to say later on in a full review as DW and I play some more of these--so far, what a wonderful use of PCCs! Think I'll donate a couple of my other ones so someone else can enjoy these BCAs!)

Regards, elldee

Edited on 01/29/2012 at 12:19:15 PM PST

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 29, 12 6:01 AM
The game is not so bad, nice and bright, while I was doing the Demo I felt like I was on a tour in London.

The voices were OK, they didn't bother me at all, the objects are all scattered around and you have to move from scene to scene, but that is no problem at all.

I have played the other games and they were OK, now this one is actually very good.

It will go into my wish list for a rainy day.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Jan 29, 12 8:51 AM
Boring for me !!!

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jan 29, 12 8:57 AM
Jolly old England.(ello) I never cared for the Big City Adventure stories, but I liked this one right off. Good way to visit London (until I get there one day)

I love the voiceovers and the humor.
Nice that there is a walkthrough and a map available
The puzzles I came across were easy and fun.
If you are looking for a real challenge, this probably isn't it. But a nice game to spend a Sunday afternoon with which I intend to do.

Rainbow722
Flounder
Flounder
2,404 Posts

[Post New]by Rainbow722 on Jan 29, 12 9:21 AM
Demoed this game on my aging PC and it played nicely. This devs first foray into a more adventure-type game is working well. It's a nice way to spend some time when you just want something brighter from the latest round of dark and eerie or hair-pulling harder games.

Not sure if I will purchase now or not because I'm moving mostly away from this old PC to a newer Mac and, unfortunately this dev doesn't make games for the Mac platform. I may get it if I need to finish a punch card though as it is so full of facts about London, history etc and reminds me of the short time I lived in England.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Jan 29, 12 11:36 AM
I quit buying the 'Classic" Big City Adventures because they got boring. But I love this London Story . Very nice!

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Jan 29, 12 12:06 PM
When I first saw the TGT offering as Big City Adventure: London Story, I couldn't believe it. Sure, like a lot of you, I played those in the early days of my online gaming
but had outgrown the series, so to speak. Though they are entertaining in a sense of Information about various places, the script was still the same. Just different place.

This one, however, is quite different, in that it is a HOPA, where you have a little bit of adventure, puzzle and hidden objects. But, I did think some of the puzzles were a bit hard, and the intergrated WT, a lot of the time, was no help.

Therefore, I don't think I will buy either. Actually, I thought when I downloaded the trial, that both games were available for the price of one SE. Of course, I was wrong. And since I am not really interested in either, I'll pass on both.

The BCA London Story, though, is by far a refreshing change.

OKC gem

Go to: