bfgKenai
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

Reviews for Big City Adventure: London Classic

[Post New]by bfgKenai on Jan 29, 12 7:58 AM
Hi Fishies!

We’d love to hear what you think of Big City Adventure: London Classic ; your reviews are very important to us and to other Fishies. And now you’re more than welcomed to post your thoughts about this game right from the Big City Adventure: London Classic page over Here!

For more information about our Game Reviews, please click here.

Once you’ve submitted your review, please feel free to come back and re-post your thoughts in this thread. Remember, a lot of people who will be reading these reviews haven’t played this game yet, so if you’re posting any spoilers, please be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

You can also specify if you played the game from the trial version or the full version and on which level you ended your game play, so that other players can get more out of this discussion !

If you are experiencing technical issues with this game, remember to check out the support thread for this game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!
bfgKenai

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Big City Adventure: London Classic

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 29, 12 8:25 AM
Hello fishies...

Well, I couldn't resist and played the demo of this "Classic" game, just because I wanted to see the difference between this one and the "London Story" game.

There is voice-over.

There is a choice of custom or system cursor.

There is no widescreen (not for me, anyway).

There is a choice of timed or relaxed mode.

There is no journal or walkthrough, as there is in the "London Story" game, because this is a pure HOG (hidden object game).

There is a map, but it only shows where you've been and your next stop.

You start out with 3 HINTS, and in each HOS (hidden object scene) you can find coins, which will give you more hints.

Mini games can be skipped. Oh my, did that one mini game take me back. I can't believe this puzzle (click on 2 or more of the same images to take them off the board) is still around. Always liked that one.

Graphics are nicely done and easy on the eye.

--- --- ---

I won't be buying this game, because I have long ago moved on from the pure HOGs. (I will, however, buy the "London Story").

But this game will be a treat for those gamers who love the classic Big City Adventure games.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jan 29, 12 9:00 AM
Since this forum for the Classic didn't go up until
seven hours after the forum for the Story Version.
there are comments and reviews for Classic at
that location.

Thanks Valdy for the one here. Spot on as usual.

While I rarely buy straight hogs anymore, I have
always found the Big City Adventure Games
enjoyable, so I will be buying both versions.

The Classic will be played one or two locattions
at a time when my brain just wants a break from
my beloved HOPAs.

Congrats and thanks to Jolly Bear for giving us
another interesting tour of a great city while also
offering the new Story Version.

And FYI, at the end of demos for both, the H0 scenes
in each are completely different.

harkonnen
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by harkonnen on Jan 29, 12 9:08 AM
I love the BCA series of games but I am a bit disappointed with this one:

BCA: NY - 90 rounds
BCA: Vancouver - 69 rounds
BCA: London - 51 rounds

so it looks like this is just half the length of the New York game.

Also, there are very few objects in the scenes in comparison to the earlier BCAs, making it much less replayable.
I love junkpile HOGs, but this game just has a few extra objects than appear in the list.
The game feels a bit incomplete. In earlier versions the game progress could be easily seen by the number of icons that were visible round the edge of the screen on the map page. On this one, the icons are not filling in.

I am disappointed but will probably still buy it as there are so few straight HOGs being produced nowadays.

ETA: Deleted game and reinstalled and am now getting the icons round the edge of my screen like previous games.

Edited on 01/29/2012 at 1:07:41 PM PST

12george
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by 12george on Jan 29, 12 9:17 AM
Benn waiting for this one !!! Love Love it !!!!Tried this game for a few minutes and then bought it...Just a nice relaxing game to play on a sunday afternoon....I like this series....Would recommend it to anyone wanting a nice Hog game to play....You can play the relaxed one if you want to go at your own pace..Now i am off to try the other one offered today...Have fun everyone....

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Jan 29, 12 9:28 AM
harkonnen wrote:In earlier versions the game progress could be easily seen by the number of icons that were visible round the edge of the screen on the map page. On this one, the icons are not filling in.

There were icons visible when I played which filled in after each round.

I loved this game even better than the Story as you got all the hidden object scenes and all the puzzles from the story mode but without all the running around.

It depends how far you get in each of the demo's, there are the same scenes in each game but with different objects to find, the scenes are just played in a different order.

Rainbow722
Flounder
Flounder
2,404 Posts

[Post New]by Rainbow722 on Jan 29, 12 9:45 AM
I hope BF puts this on the "soft release" list tomorrow as many fishies may not see that there are two new games for this series!

This game follows along the same as the other BCA games and is a fun, bright straight HOG. I may get it as a punch card filler because I like these games, but do wish they would make Mac versions of their games so I can get away from this old PC more!

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Jan 29, 12 10:09 AM
5 stars!!! what a fantastic addition in this series. I've waited sooo long for this one to come out. It has gorgeous graphics and the gameplay is similar to the others. I like the selection of mini games they used with this addition. I also hope they keep on making more like this series. I am going to try the Story version as well but this version is soooo relaxing. I also quite like the background music. Big City Adventures is one of my most favorite series and this classic version is a definite buy for me.

[Post New]by Kitty_at_large on Jan 29, 12 10:15 AM
Rainbow722 wrote:I hope BF puts this on the "soft release" list tomorrow as many fishies may not see that there are two new games for this series!

It is the soft release for today

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jan 29, 12 11:49 AM
HAPPY DAY, HAPPY DAY.....have been waiting forever for the London BCA, to be released !!

I have always loved this series, along with the DDW series, are two of my favorite straight H0 games, of all time, so to have this released today, makes me a very HAPPY fishie .
I am confused though, why there are 2 different kinds, the story and this one, are they 2 different games completely?
Don't want to buy both, if it is the same game, just with a story added, any help would be greatly appreciated, on this?
I picked the classic to demo, because I am hoping nothing has changed in it, LOVED it, just the way it has always been in these games, if it isn't broke, please don't fix it..lol.
I don't mind different mini's, as long as the format and game play are the same.
Well it just finished d/l, that was fast, so excited, off to play now .
Have a wonderful relaxing Sunday everyone, and as always happy gaming.

bootsky
Stingray
Stingray
5,333 Posts

[Post New]by bootsky on Jan 29, 12 12:12 PM
YAY!!!! It's finally here....a nice light, fun game in the Big City series. Probably too easy for many but I love these for a relaxing Sunday afternoon. Fun facts, different mini-games(unless you've played the series in which case they are the familiar jig-saw puzzle, the mah-jong, etc)
Thanks BFG for making my Sunday

Edited on 01/29/2012 at 12:13:47 PM PST

candybrand
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by candybrand on Jan 29, 12 2:50 PM
i'm with the other fishies, have been waiting for another BIG CITY ADVENTURE game, will be buying this one without playing the demo , thanks BF

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Jan 29, 12 3:21 PM
At first I was puzzled about bringing us two different games rather than a previously-rumored CE including both versions. But after playing trials of both versions, I'm sure glad they are separate offerings!

I found I was not enjoying the Adventure version because I kept wondering why I would want another game like that when I already have so many great but still unfinished IHOGs and Adventures.

So, I bought this Classic version. It joins my happy-place games which are often replayed.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jan 29, 12 3:28 PM
Review after playing about half of demo in timed mode:

The timed mode gives a generous 15 minutes in each H0 scene (and I think 10 in the puzzles) so there is more than enough time to finish each scene. There are hints to earn in each scene and might need to use some because some items are really hard to find as they blend in very well with the surrounding items or are cleverly hidden. I clicked madly to check but didn't experience a misclick penalty. Thus far the puzzles have not been difficult.

The graphics in this game are quite clear and sharp although I prefer the graphics that are more "true-to-life". I turned the sound on only to listen to it briefly as I normally don't use speakers and it seems to be OK.

I did enjoy the "postcards" as they provide a lot of interesting information. There are achievements to earn also. (I would need to restart the game under a different profile name and read through them first - before playing - to see what I needed to do to earn them as I did not check first this time.) By looking at the little circles around the "map", this H0 game should take quite some time to finish.

I do like this type of game as it is one that can be "put down and picked up" again later without having to try to remember everything done before as in a HOPA game, and would love to have it but will wait as my January punch card is filled.

[Post New]by 5fornana on Jan 30, 12 9:34 AM
Really love the BIG CITY HOG,Ihave allthe series....
can anyone tell me how to open the safe,i have been workin on that for over an hour,no skip button........can anyone give me a clue..Thanks everyone for your help.

Edited on 02/05/2012 at 1:58:15 PM PST

catbell
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by catbell on Jan 31, 12 12:29 AM
Yes, I too agree with harkonnen - starfish--this is way too short compared to the other BCA games--it should be at least equal to the 91 or do like they did with Dreamland and add more content--this is a great series and I hate to see it "chiseled down."

[Post New]by scottbully on Jan 31, 12 6:28 AM
Has ANYONE figured out the Scarabs or how to earn MORE skips?

Thanks

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Jan 31, 12 10:07 AM
This is a simple HOG, with some very easy mini games in between. I don't know why, but I feel I have to keep collecting all the cities in this game series, so, here is another one for me to add to my collection. It is a relaxing game, and the graphics are good. I also enjoy reading the bits of history for different locations.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jan 31, 12 10:25 AM
This is a cute little game, very relaxing. But I have choosed, that I want to buy the other Big City Adventure game instead (London Story). Happy gaming everyone

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Feb 1, 12 7:43 AM
I did buy this classic version, and have just finished the game, and feel a little let down, to be quite honest, it took forever to get here, and the quality just wasn't there in this London one, compared to the other city adventures I own.

The H0 scenes were just blah and boring, for me anyway, nothing like their usual visually pleasing H0 scenes, in previous games.
I didn't even feel like I was playing one of their games, didn't have the happy feeling, I usually have when playing.
The H0 scenes also lacked items, it was a blah scene with a few items sprinkled in, not the usual junk pile scenery that was always very colorful, plus added to the challenge, so with out the many items to search through, it lost the fun factor for me, and I just wizzed through the game, add to that, a much shorter game also.
I didn't care for the scarab light or stamp puzzles, just personal preference, but not my idea, of fun.
So, all in all pretty much a disapointment, all the way around for me, all of the excitement I had waiting for it to get here, made the let down much harder, I usually LOVE these games, but for me this one gets a .
The graphics just looked cheap, dull and lack luster, please bring back the exciting and bright graphics used in past BCA games, and all of the items that are usually in each scene and the bright and happy colors, those are the things that make this game a classic, and I really missed them this time in London

Go to: