bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for The Cross Formula

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Feb 1, 12 12:16 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of The Cross Formula? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the The Cross Formula page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

 
ZuluDawn13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Cross Formula

[Post New]by ZuluDawn13 on Feb 1, 12 1:02 AM
An Adventure Cartoon Game.

Music, sounds ok.

Choice of difficulty.

Bit hard on the eyes as some objects very small.

Puzzles are the usual - find fuse, put in fuse box, find key etc etc.

Inventory has a kind of box thing which rests over the object you are looking at and can kind of jump around until the cursor 'settles' - this made me feel a bit seasick.

An OK game which I will give a miss.

 
Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Cross Formula

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 1, 12 1:05 AM
Good morning, fishies...

This review is based on the demo:

This is one of those old-fashioned type adventure games from KatGames, which I love to play.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is no voice-over.

Mini games can be skipped.

Cartoonish graphics - love them myself.

--- --- ---

I ran into trouble right at the beginning when I needed a code. The code was barely visible, but I managed it by trial and error. Other than that, I liked what I saw. This is the kind of game I used to play a lot in the olden days, before I discovered HOGs.

Well, I am off to buy the game.

 
BP532
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Cross Formula

[Post New]by BP532 on Feb 1, 12 1:13 AM
I didn't hold out much hope for this game, but boy it was a great departure from the usual. Totally quirky and unexpected. While fairly linear, you do come across strange characters and cut screen puzzles that are quite challenging for those who have difficulty with spacial challenges.

It's an intriguing game, that I would like to see where it goes from the point the demo ended. Hmmm, to buy or not to buy..... not sure yet.

But I really encourage the developers and BFG to keep these games that are a departure from the norm coming.

 
jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Cross Formula

[Post New]by jkuci on Feb 1, 12 1:27 AM

I actually enjoyed the demo and this game goes on my BUY list!

No junkpiles, a pretty darned good adventure! Same devs that did the Dream Chronicle series -I like this better.



Warning: if you are sensitive to light flashes,you will want to skip this game.


Edited on 02/01/2012 at 2:13:36 AM PST


 
LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Cross Formula

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Feb 1, 12 1:32 AM
What an unusual game. But, I really like it. I don't think it's for everyone. I really love the storyline. There are some flashing lights and it is a little blurry. But the story is so good, it has me hooked. And how refreshing to have a different style game for a change. Even though it is cartoonish, I think the graphics are quit good. The puzzles are skipable and the hint recharges quickly. I definitely think this game is worth a try. Don't judge it buy the video or pics. I don't normally listen to the music...but it's quit good in this game. It's a very interesting game. And for a punch card/DD/COTW, I think it's worth the buy. The story is so intriguing that I can't wait to find out what happens. Be sure to check this one out. It's a buy for me! Enjoy! It's something different for a change. Thanks and a good job to the developepers.

 
sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Cross Formula

[Post New]by sassylassie on Feb 1, 12 1:49 AM
LovetoMissLisa wrote:What an unusual game. But, I really like it. I don't think it's for everyone. I really love the storyline. There are some flashing lights and it is a little blurry. But the story is so good, it has me hooked. And how refreshing to have a different style game for a change. Even though it is cartoonish, I think the graphics are quit good. The puzzles are skipable and the hint recharges quickly. I definitely think this game is worth a try. Don't judge it buy the video or pics. I don't normally listen to the music...but it's quit good in this game. It's a very interesting game. And for a punch card/DD/COTW, I think it's worth the buy. The story is so intriguing that I can't wait to find out what happens. Be sure to check this one out. It's a buy for me! Enjoy! It's something different for a change. Thanks and a good job to the developepers.


Lisa you are spot on on what you said. I feel the same way. I am loving this game a lot.

 
edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Cross Formula

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Feb 1, 12 2:01 AM
seems to be a little good one,graphics like "Runaway" style,puzzles ok,but as far as i go in the demo(alien landing!)it seems easy enough;don't know about length but i don't have yet any clue to find who is the guy!

 
cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Cross Formula

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 1, 12 2:05 AM
A nice trip down memory lane----an old style adventure game with enough modernization to make it fun.
The story is intriguing and simple enough to follow.
Three game play modes, but I chose the easiest and found that to be challenging enough!
Graphics are cartoonish but very clean and easy to see everything. (Valdy, I like the cartoon-style too)
Very unusual and different game that needs a trial for sure. But give yourself a decent amount of time to allow the story to begin to unfold----you just might get hooked if you do.
I really like the nostalgic feel of this game, and I think it's worth a look for sure.
A buy for me!

 
sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Cross Formula

[Post New]by sunidayz on Feb 1, 12 2:38 AM
It is a different kind of game from what we are used to play here. It's like an "oldie but goodie" type, like an old fashioned type of game. But I really enjoyed playing the demo. I was disappointed when it came to an end. The gameplay was easy enough to follow . There were no HOS, just items here and there. The minigames were a little challenging , but there was a fairly quick skip button. The graphics were cartoons , but they were good enough. There were no voice overs. Just voice bubbles conversing here and there. It was an intriguing game. I would rate it an 8 out of 10.

 
Nortank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Cross Formula

[Post New]by Nortank on Feb 1, 12 3:28 AM
IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO FLASHING LIGHTS, DON'T EVEN START THIS GAME!

 
LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Cross Formula

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Feb 1, 12 4:12 AM
sassylassie wrote:
LovetoMissLisa wrote:What an unusual game. But, I really like it. I don't think it's for everyone. I really love the storyline. There are some flashing lights and it is a little blurry. But the story is so good, it has me hooked. And how refreshing to have a different style game for a change. Even though it is cartoonish, I think the graphics are quit good. The puzzles are skipable and the hint recharges quickly. I definitely think this game is worth a try. Don't judge it buy the video or pics. I don't normally listen to the music...but it's quit good in this game. It's a very interesting game. And for a punch card/DD/COTW, I think it's worth the buy. The story is so intriguing that I can't wait to find out what happens. Be sure to check this one out. It's a buy for me! Enjoy! It's something different for a change. Thanks and a good job to the developepers.


Lisa you are spot on on what you said. I feel the same way. I am loving this game a lot.


Hi sassylassie....I'm so glad to see we agree on this game. It's such a refreshing storyline for a change. I am so intrigue with the story...I just can't wait to see what happens. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in liking this game. And that your enjoying it also. You have fabuous taste sassylassie!

 
mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Cross Formula

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Feb 1, 12 4:54 AM
I like the adventure aspect, but am not fond of the cartoon style graphics. I have difficulty getting immersed into the story, so I think I might give this a pass.

 
bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Cross Formula

[Post New]by bratzgram on Feb 1, 12 5:28 AM
When I started I thought there is no way this game is for me. I suggest that if you play the demo don't give up. It seems to get better the farther you play.

I also agreed with LoveMissLisas reveiw. It's a game that pulls you in. The story is a good one and even with the comic book style graphics the game play can be good. Some of the mini games are very easy but others are more difficult. If you are stuck the hint system will walk you through.

I say give it a try. Just might surprise you!

I am putting this on my list of coupon buys at least. Not one of my favorites but it looks like it's worth a try.


 
marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Cross Formula

[Post New]by marg6043 on Feb 1, 12 5:45 AM
This game is not my type of game, played the demo, the graphics didn't bother me at all the small objects neither, but some issue with the game itself got me so upset that I decided this one is not a buy for me.


Edited on 02/01/2012 at 8:07:29 AM PST


 
tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Cross Formula

[Post New]by tj1147 on Feb 1, 12 7:10 AM
Review from playing demo:

This seems to be a nice game. I don't like the flashes of brightness at all so I try to skip those scenes. I do like the "comments" that show up when hovering the mouse over an object. I really don't care for the graphics (music - I don't know as I normally don't use the speakers in the games). The puzzles thus far haven't been too difficult. Some objects are quite tiny, and once I found the "hint" wasn't correct.

Even with the "bothersome" things I mentioned above, I would like to play the game to see where it goes...but as a DD or COTW as I find it a "take it or leave it" game for me.

 
Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Cross Formula

[Post New]by Janie42 on Feb 1, 12 7:20 AM
Bought after 15 min of demo...
Yahoo--a real old-style adventure game with up-to-date challenges, graphics & play mechanics.

Artwork is lovely for game-type & special effects & sounds well done. The adventuring is cleverly handled & built on an interesting story. (Don't worry that because we begin with "no memory" it's going to be same-old, same-old; it's not.)

Story requires player to figure out what's happened before he lost his memory, who's after him? who's been killed & why? At each location we face challenges that approximate those we'd have in real life in such a situation.
We study the objects available in area/room & use them & help of characters we meet to achieve our goals. E.g., if we need to get past a chained but grumpy dog, why not try [highlight for small spoiler e.g.]diverting its attention by feeding it! To find food? Where do we keep food in our own houses? hmmm... fridge, maybe?

Has decent tutorial & 3 modes, thus players can find best fit to their preferred challenge level. (Excellent option, especially as some puzzles are fairly easy yet others fresh & can be tricky!)

It's great to do quests instead of hidden objects, & to resolve puzzles or difficulties by common sense/real-life type of logic rather than the nonsensical thinking we're all now trained into due to playing too many hidden object games.

If you enjoy a true adventure game & want to use your brains & logic to solve puzzles & the mystery, give this a try! Old school adventurers will be thrilled & those tired of same-old HOS casual games should be too.

Kudos to the devs... more like this please !

ETA -- I'm with those who are so happy that instead of another of their Dream Chronicles games, the devs have given us this new adventure game!

Edited on 02/01/2012 at 8:06:09 AM PST


 
Aerosage
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Cross Formula

[Post New]by Aerosage on Feb 1, 12 8:30 AM
Well, I try to give games the ability to grow on me. However, this particular game is so deplorable in overall design, I didn't last more than fifteen minutes. Compared to other contemporary HOA games 'The Cross Formula' is lacking in everything that makes such a game worthwhile playing. The graphics are lackluster and the story itself is beyond absurd. Additionally, the main character lacks any kind of personality whatsoever, so it makes it impossible to have any kind of empathy for him, or his situation. For me, it was like taking a giant-step backwards in the HO gaming genre. To those who desire the latest technology in game design don't waste your time or money on this 'formula'!

 
Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Cross Formula

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 1, 12 9:28 AM
Aerosage wrote:Well, I try to give games the ability to grow on me. However, this particular game is so deplorable in overall design, I didn't last more than fifteen minutes. Compared to other contemporary HOA games 'The Cross Formula' is lacking in everything that makes such a game worthwhile playing. The graphics are lackluster and the story itself is beyond absurd. Additionally, the main character lacks any kind of personality whatsoever, so it makes it impossible to have any kind of empathy for him, or his situation. For me, it was like taking a giant-step backwards in the HO gaming genre. To those who desire the latest technology in game design don't waste your time or money on this 'formula'!


This is NOT a Hidden Object game. It's an old-fashioned type of Adventure game, as was said here and as its description says on the main game page.

 
Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Cross Formula

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Feb 1, 12 9:36 AM
Very funny adventure game. Not a really easy one. I will keep this game in mind and buy it later this month.

 
 
 
 
Go to: