bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Feb 4, 12 12:25 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:Reviews for Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 4, 12 1:16 AM
This is one of those rare games that I can't imagine NOT having the CE. Here is some of what I had to say about the CE version:

About the game itself:
I usually believe that any game wanting double money MUST play widescreen on my laptop monitor, and this one does not (I know some dev reps have posted in the forums, maybe they can explain this omission). That being said, I can tell you that this is that very rare game that has so much going for it otherwise I'll probably overlook the WS failure. Seriously, this game is very unique and well thought out in so many areas that it becomes too captivating to pass up.
I won't repeat the positive aspects that have already been mentioned (see Valdy's excellent review) but the game is in keeping with the superb technical work on "A Gypsy's Tale" and the entire Aveyond series.

And after playing much more of the game I can tell you that this jewel is definitely in my top 5 of all time. And for me, without widescreen, that speaks volumes about the quality of this game.
Overall, great game that's well done and certainly worth consideration as a CE, but if SE is your choice you'll still love it!
Enjoy, everyone!

Edited for SE version

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Feb 4, 12 1:53 AM
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to swim by with a link to our Reviews thread for the Collector's Edition of this game, in case you're looking for more reviews on this game.

Reviews for Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls Collector's Edition

You can find more reviews on this game through the Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls game page (see my first message at the top of this page), or through the Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls Collector's Edition game page.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 4, 12 2:11 AM
Good morning, everybody...

This review is based on the 1-hour CE demo, which I changed slightly to take away the bonus parts, and which I played in Casual Mode:

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is voice-over, which is excellent.

There is an option for Brightness. I pushed it up all the way, but still needed to do it manually on my laptop (Fn+F6 keys) for certain scenes that were a little too dark.

You can (and should) collect coins in each room or outside area. When you have collected all the coins in a room, a picture of this room will then be added to your map, and you can use this picture to teleport back to it from another room by clicking on it.

The graphics are very well done.

The HOS (hidden object scenes), which are interactive, are a pleasure to play. There is hardly any mess, the HOS aren’t overcrowded, and the graphics are superb.

Other than the HOS, you also have to hunt for fragmented objects in the main scenes.

At the bottom of your screen are 3 sections: Inventory, Goal, and Objects. When you do a search for fragmented objects, they first go into the “Objects” slot, and when the object has been put together, it moves into the “Inventory”.

The HINT and SKIP buttons fill reasonably fast, and the HINT button also works outside of the HOS.

Gameplay is fun and entertaining, as are the puzzles.

--- --- ---

This is a great game, and as cbtx said, definitely worth the CE, and one of the few CEs I've bought over time that I didn't regret buying.

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Feb 4, 12 2:24 AM
I remember playing the CE demo version of this game and really liking it noting it down as a good game to remember when it came out as a SE. (I'm getting old and have to write things down to remember , you see...lol)
Anyway, the SE demo didn't disappoint. The graphics were excellent and so was the gameplay. You had to make sure you found all the hidden coins in each room so you could put it on a self-made map which you could use to jump back and forth from scene to scene. The rest of the gameplay was fairly easy enough to follow . If you need a push in the right direction , you could always use the hint button. The HOS were fairly easy. The minigames a bit more challenging, but there was a quick skip button. I would have to rate it a definite 9 out of 10.

glb613
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by glb613 on Feb 4, 12 2:48 AM
I liked the CE demo and have been waiting for the SE version. The games fills the entire screen and the graphics are clear. A buy for me.

glb613
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by glb613 on Feb 4, 12 2:48 AM
Delete duplicate post

Edited on 02/04/2012 at 2:49:03 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 4, 12 4:14 AM
spiritdog51 wrote:Sadly the cursor was a bit jerky, and in the H0G scenes the items took longer to disappear than any other game.
Semi interesting but the lag time and cursor make it a no buy for me.

You've already said that in the Technical thread. Why repeat it here? This thread is for reviews of the game only.

onetoomany
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by onetoomany on Feb 4, 12 5:16 AM
spiritdog51 wrote:
Sadly the cursor was a bit jerky, and in the H0G scenes the items took longer to disappear than any other game.
Semi interesting but the lag time and cursor make it a no buy for me.

Valdy's response:You've already said that in the Technical thread. Why repeat it here? This thread is for reviews of the game only.

Hi Valdy,
I like your reviews and I'll answer for spiritdog51's comment.
To me it is a brief heads up/review. Spiritdog mentions something others haven't and I do consider what he/she wrote as a brief review as to how the cursor operates on their system, so others know ahead of time it might happen on their computer, too.
It might not be a technical issue for some of us depending on what kind of computer we're using and it's age and isn't necessarily only for the technical thread as far as I am concerned because I wouldn't look there for their opinion. If they were complaining or whining about it, then I'd see your point. But it doesn't appear to me like they have an axe to grind. I enjoy your reviews immensely along with textrekkie (sp).

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Feb 4, 12 7:05 AM
Can anyone tell me if the intergrated bonus chapter is important to this game? Being a SE, is this game going to include that? The reason I ask is that I am an oldie here and cannot afford a lot of CE's but I really really like this game and have been waiting for the SE to come out.

However,I forgot about the bonus chapter being mixed in with the actual gameplay, so how about it, fellow fishies. CE or SE? I value your opinions greatly!

Okc gem

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 4, 12 7:25 AM
ladygem6 wrote:Can anyone tell me if the intergrated bonus chapter is important to this game? Being a SE, is this game going to include that? The reason I ask is that I am an oldie here and cannot afford a lot of CE's but I really really like this game and have been waiting for the SE to come out.

However,I forgot about the bonus chapter being mixed in with the actual gameplay, so how about it, fellow fishies. CE or SE? I value your opinions greatly!

Okc gem

This is one game that I can't imagine NOT having the CE.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Feb 4, 12 8:28 AM
cbtx wrote:
ladygem6 wrote:Can anyone tell me if the intergrated bonus chapter is important to this game? Being a SE, is this game going to include that? The reason I ask is that I am an oldie here and cannot afford a lot of CE's but I really really like this game and have been waiting for the SE to come out.

Okc gem

This is one game that I can't imagine NOT having the CE.

A few posts have said the CE is worth the money, but why? I am also on a limited budget.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Feb 4, 12 9:18 AM
It is not a game where the storyline grabs me. It's too abrupt. The cursor is wonky, and even after changing the brightness, the screen is quite dark. I assume one has to collect coins, but I saw no direction to do so. And then there's the fact that it has fractured objects. The only fractured object games that ever draw me in are by b---- t-----. So, this is not a purchase for me, unfortunately.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 4, 12 9:36 AM
jennsmom wrote:It is not a game where the storyline grabs me. It's too abrupt. The cursor is wonky, and even after changing the brightness, the screen is quite dark. I assume one has to collect coins, but I saw no direction to do so. And then there's the fact that it has fractured objects. The only fractured object games that ever draw me in are by b---- t-----. So, this is not a purchase for me, unfortunately.

I agree.

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Feb 4, 12 10:01 AM
I am on the fence with this one. I only played 30 mins of demo and had to close game. I loved the HOS, the search for both fragmented objects and the coins. The graphics were great and the voiceovers better than I have heard in a while. I love the interactive map option although I do try and play without these. Just knowing it is there though is a real bonus. My grievance is that I felt like I was dragging the mouse and there was a slight delay between clicking and activating. It's not a tech problem as such but it does take away the enjoyment of the game a little. I will go back and play the next 30 mins in a day or so which should make my mind up for me. On the subject of time, I noted after 30 mins I was about a fifth of the way through the game (judging by the progress bar at bottom left of menu screen). Total length approx 2.5 hours? That sort of time wouldn't be a problem with a WOW! game but not sure with this one.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 4, 12 10:14 AM
spiritdog51 wrote:Thank you onetoomany Exactly. My review had a bit more information than my tech post.
Valdy, I felt beat up by your post to me. It was a review if you read it again, not the same as my tech problem.
TY onetoomany

Hi Spiritdog,

The below is what you have said in the "Technical Issues" thread:

spiritdog51 wrote:Sadly the cursor was a bit jerky, and in the H0G scenes the items took longer to disappear than any other game. Lag time between click and item going away.

Apart from changing a couple of words in the last sentence, it's the same as what you have said here.
From what I read, the whole of what you said was just a complaint about the cursor and the HOS items. Not a review of the game, IMO.

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Feb 4, 12 11:19 AM
Hi fishies,

I just wanted to remind everyone that this thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have a question or would like to comment on someone else's review, please feel free to PM that user .

If you're experiencing any technical issues with this game, please let us know by posting in the 'Tech Issues' thread and/or by contacting Tech Support.

To keep things on-track, the Moderation Team will be removing any posts that are not reviews beyond this point.

Thanks!

-bfgHondo

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Feb 4, 12 12:51 PM
I haven`t bought the Ce from this game. The graphic from this game is pretty good, storyline is okay. But I don`t like the game, I have uninstalled it. But happy gaming everyone

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Feb 4, 12 12:57 PM
I liked the game very much when I bought as CE but my now waiting another new game.

Idea: Why do you put these games that come out in short version down on the todays game and put a real new game in main spot or tomorrow's game.

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Feb 4, 12 1:57 PM

Edited on 02/04/2012 at 2:29:28 PM PST

Go to: