bfgKenai
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

Reviews for City of Secrets

[Post New]by bfgKenai on Feb 8, 12 12:29 AM
Hi Fishies!

We’d love to hear what you think of City of Secrets; your reviews are very important to us and to other Fishies. And now you’re more than welcomed to post your thoughts about this game right from the City of Secrets page over Here!

For more information about our Game Reviews, please click here.

Once you’ve submitted your review, please feel free to come back and re-post your thoughts in this thread. Remember, a lot of people who will be reading these reviews haven’t played this game yet, so if you’re posting any spoilers, please be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

You can also specify if you played the game from the trial version or the full version and on which level you ended your game play, so that other players can get more out of this discussion !

If you are experiencing technical issues with this game, remember to check out the support thread for this game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!
bfgKenai

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Reviews for City of Secrets

[Post New]by jkuci on Feb 8, 12 12:41 AM

Funny adventure! Very appealing colorful graphics in cartoon style.

Bought it right away! Voice overs and dialogue with droll sense of humor.

No hidden object scenes in the demo, at least.

You are presented with situational problems that must be overcome by MacGyver-like ingenuity but there are good hints to help you if you get stuck.

Love it! More like this, please BFG!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Feb 8, 12 1:09 AM
(Copied from the comment thread)

OMG! This is completely different!

I played for 14 minutes and was afraid that my time would run out before I could understand the game.

IMHO this could be mainly a game for children or the young at heart! LOL!

I would need to use a PC code to get this.

First you have to reach a hook on the ceiling, then you have to build a lift/elevator, from unusual items. Inventory items can be merged together, but which ones are a mystery as to what and when!

Could be worth buying if you want a good laugh.

Not sure that I agree that the hints are of much help though, until you understand the mechanics of the game.

I suggest that if you have the DL amount and/or time that you give this a go, even just to brighten your day

Ninui2
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Ninui2 on Feb 8, 12 1:54 AM
All I can say is give it a chance.........I love this game. Really funny (and kind of hard) but it's a whole 'nother thing and worth the money. I'm so sick of the run of the mill HOGs. This game is a HOOT!!!! , but it takes a while to get onto what they're doing.

You can't play this game with the TV on................totally immersive. Even if you don't like dialogues in your games, leave the sound on for awhile, let the narrator mess with your head, and have a good time. This game is meant to be played when you're feeling kind of low and want to forget your problems. If you're like me (struggling a little bit, etc.) this is what you need.

PS If you don't like figuring thing out and remembering where you "saw that thing", this game might not be for you.

Susie

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Feb 8, 12 2:05 AM
Hi Susie Happy Anniversary. (2 years since your first post)
I agree with you, this needs to be given a chance. Apparently there are 5 Episodes (according to a WT that I found) I think that may mean chapters but I wait to be corrected. If we have been given the full game, it will be worth getting.
I would like the graphics to be a little brighter, so when I go back in I will turn up the brightness and see what difference that will make.
It is billed as an adventure game and not a H0 game, which, to me, is quite correct. Although it is over 6 months old and not new, it is new to
Happy gaming all

Ninui2
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Ninui2 on Feb 8, 12 2:29 AM
Yeah, I rarely put my two cents in, I guess I'm a lurker and let you guys do all the bull work, but I had to say something this time.

2 years? Who knew...............Thanks for noticing, P!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 8, 12 2:57 AM
This adventure game is the third very, very different game from BF in succession.
At first, I found a lot about it very annoying, but after checking other comments I went back and did as Ninui2 suggested. And the next thing I knew, time was up! So the game obviously hooked me----gabby narrator and all.
The graphics are excellent and the game mechanics, although requiring a good deal of patience to get used to, are good.
Not normally an adventure game player, this will keep me busy for a good while.
Opens in widescreen with a (take note) choice of resolution in the options----gosh, I wonder how they were able to do that?
A buy for me because I appreciate a different type game, but definitely try before you buy!

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Feb 8, 12 3:53 AM
I don't know what to say. This game was awful! They gave voiceovers for a mole but the dog just growled and you had to quickly read the subtitles to keep up with the dialogue. That was just plain stupid. Worst game I have demo'd in a very long time. Can't believe it is a new game. Lasted 9 mins of demo and trashed it. By the way, not sure if this is a comment or a review. Not sure of the difference between the two threads.

adr8p
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by adr8p on Feb 8, 12 4:00 AM
This game is brilliant, i just giggled from the start. I love the narrator, not done much of game so far but have bought it just for the laughs. I'm british so the moles voice, I think, matches him, and as for the 'lift' being a mistake..... should have said elevator....lol that tickled me.

fla_girl
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by fla_girl on Feb 8, 12 6:48 AM
It seems like it would be a good game but like others the Narrator need to be quiet. He talks tooooo much. I might go back after a while to see if I can get past his talking to play the gamel. In all I just might buy this game for my granddaughter since she loves playing my game too.

fla_girl
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by fla_girl on Feb 8, 12 6:48 AM
It seems like it would be a good game but like others the Narrator need to be quiet. He talks tooooo much. I might go back after a while to see if I can get past his talking to play the gamel. In all I just might buy this game for my granddaughter since she loves playing my game too.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Feb 8, 12 7:11 AM
What a charming fun and witty game. I like it! We've been asking for something different for a long time now. And this is something different. It is a challenging game...but it is worth it. True there are no hogs scene's and that is refreshing for a change. I don't like all my games being the same. This game is not for everyone, but if you give it the full demo try...it will grow on you and surprise you. It's a fun game and the graphics are so clear and the animations are adorable. It's more like watching a cartoon movie then a game. Give it try for sure and it's a buy for me. Enjoy!

YES: Full screen with several resolution adjustments
YES: Voiceover's - very charming and funny
YES: Hints - are available through out the game
Sound: Music/voice/effects/
NO: Hog scenes
Theme: Charming fun cartoon Adventure

I rate this game: “PIGLET”
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games.
‘ ‘
(o)

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 8, 12 7:35 AM
This review is based on the demo:

First of all, don't be put off by the much-talking narrator you will encounter right at the beginning. He is only trying to give you a tutorial.
After that, you are free of him - at least I was for the rest of the demo. Maybe he will be back, but I doubt he will ever talk as much as he did when you first start the game.

The game fills the whole screen.

There is only one cursor, which is needed for this game.

There is voice-over.

--- --- ---

I didn't even want to demo this game, looking at the video. But I did, and the smile that plastered itself onto my face right from the start didn't leave once throughout the demo.

This is a fun, witty, clever and very entertaining adventure game.

Rex, the dog, is missing, and you, as Mole, have to do all kinds of things to find him and get him back. A truly wonderful game. If you are into adventure-type point-and-click games, give this one a go.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Feb 8, 12 7:39 AM
Can I just point out that this is an adventure game, where you collect items as you go along, to help you attain the next level. There are no hidden objects, it is definitely not an ihog,frog, hopa or hog.
Slowly and possibly surely, this game will grow on you. As a few of us have said, give this the full demo, if you can. You may surprise yourself.
In fact an excellent game to give us all a break (if we want one) from the "dark and eerie" games.
There are options to get rid of the narrator/commentator, if he really does drive you nuts! LOL!
If the dev's make a follow up, I hope that they will take note of the negative and positive reviews.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Feb 8, 12 9:18 AM
Played about 20 mins of demo and it's a buy from me straightaway. Brilliant, witty dialogue. I LOVED the narrator - reminded me of the Discworld Games. I'm English and really appreciated the accents etc - loved the reference to the lift.

A pure adventure game - what bliss.

I've not bought any games recently for a couple of months - got sick to death of HOGs and haunted houses etc. This restores my faith in game developers.

Alrydian
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Alrydian on Feb 8, 12 9:53 AM
jkuci wrote:
No hidden object scenes in the demo, at least.

Fantastic!

After reading some of the reviews, I think I might give this game a go, I might even renew my membership so I can play it today, just very short on cash at the moment.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Feb 8, 12 10:16 AM
Got to the point where I "turn in my CAO paper at window #1"..lol...and decided this is a buy. The humor in this little gem is rich and the old style point & click combined with the cute bright graphics is relaxing and fun. Reminds me of a previous set of games I had played and enjoyed.
I went online to see how far I had gotten in the game so far and realized this will probably turn out to be an average length game so one of many credits burning in my account will disappear. It's a buy for me.

Happy Gaming!

QEIII wrote:Played about 20 mins of demo and it's a buy from me straightaway. Brilliant, witty dialogue. I LOVED the narrator - reminded me of the Discworld Games.... .

YES ..yes...that's what it was...lol. I agree. The Discworld series. Couldn't remember the name. Thanks for the memory nudge.

Edited on 02/08/2012 at 10:25:50 AM PST

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Feb 8, 12 10:49 AM
OK, this game was colorful, well made graphics love the funny comments, but I also was so lost on how to play the game that I actually for the first time needed an instructional manual just to find out what I was suppose to do next.

Perhaps the reason I felt so lost even when I wanted to keep playing was because I never played a game with so many task that required to use your wits and constructive and interactive mind.

While I will eventually play this game (once I get to understand how) I will definitely buy it.

Meanwhile I have to find out how to play the game first.

This game is actually more challenging that it seems.

Specially for somebody as spoil as I am with the regular adventure click, find an apply.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Feb 8, 12 11:08 AM
This game is a hoot! I love the bright graphics that fill my widescreen. And the dialogue is hilarious. I'm not far through the game but it's definitely a buy for me. It's an adventure game and very different from the standard HOPA we often see here. It's not a "kids" game (the humor would be lost on them). I highly recommend you give it a try. It's unique and very clever.

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Feb 8, 12 11:45 AM
Hi fishies,

I just wanted to remind everyone that this thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you haven't played this game yet, or if you'd just like to chat about this game with other players, please feel free to have some fun over in the 'Comments' thread.

Thanks!

-bfgHondo

Edited on 02/08/2012 at 11:49:04 AM PST

Go to: