Virus alert?

amybc
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

Virus alert?

[Post New]by amybc on Jan 23, 09 1:55 PM
I was just going to play and my avast said that there was a virus alert for this game and I moved it to the virus chest. Did anybody else have this problem. Should I just delete it and then try redownloading it?

Thanks
Amy

gringojoy
Catfish
Catfish
1,739 Posts

Re:Virus alert?

[Post New]by gringojoy on Jan 23, 09 5:28 PM
Welcome to the forums amybc.
BigFish tests any & all games long before we get them so, it makes us safe to download any games from our beloved BFG site.
I promise ANY game you download on this site is safe.
I'm not sure what to do about your antivirus.
If anything contact customer support as they will help you with any problem you have.
I hope this helps you.
Joy

amybc
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by amybc on Jan 23, 09 8:24 PM
Thanks Joy, yes it does. Now I just have to figure out how to get it out of the virus chest on Avast. I'm enjoying the game, so I'm glad it really doesn't have a virus.

bfgAegean
Catfish
Catfish
1,568 Posts

[Post New]by bfgAegean on Jan 26, 09 11:01 AM
Hi everyone. I thought I'd pop in and let you know that all of our games here at Big Fish Games are 100% virus/adware/spyware free, and are tested for such. Chances are, your anti-virus program definitions need to be updated. Here is a help topic we have that talks about this:

Virus messages

If you have any other questions, then I would recommend that you contact our Customer Support staff. They are well trained in assisting with technical questions and concerns. You can contact them by clicking here.

Thank you for visiting the forums!

lushknight
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by lushknight on Jan 31, 09 9:53 AM
I got up this morning and found that my antivirus software detected and deleted a file called liong2.exe identified as a backdoor trojan , I deleted what was left of the game and will try reinstalling, let you know. But 1st i"ll update my definitions, thanks for the tip.

auntie_m7
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

BackdoorTrojan Virus in Liong .exe file

[Post New]by auntie_m7 on Jan 31, 09 3:54 PM
I use Norton anti-virus protection software and today got a "BACKDOOR TROJAN VIRUS" alert hidden in the .exe file of the game Liong: The Lost Amulet. Norton was able to successfully remove this trojan virus from my computer and I immediately also uninstalled the game. I would suggest everyone who has this game remove it from their computer and DO NOT play it - run your anti-virus software to check for a backdoor trojan virus that is hidden in this game - play it at the risk of your computer's safety (and your own - it is a very HIGH RISK to get this on your system and can steal your personal info) - I would also think BFG would be liable for any damage to any systems since their games are supposed to be virus free... I would also write them and request a refund if you purchased the game or used a game club credit, since it IS NOT SAFE to play!

P.S. My anti-virus definitions are automatically updated, sometimes several times a day... so I don't need to do that...

Edited on 01/31/2009 at 3:58:12 PM PST

[Post New]by quick_sand8 on Jan 31, 09 9:06 PM
there has to be a bug in this game, somewhere....... I installed it I think 4 times from Big Fish games, and it wouldn't open. Then the trial time was gone when I hadn't even played it. Customer support was great. Poof, 60 min. back. Tried to install it again, still wouldn't play. Then poof, trial period ended.... So I went to another gaming site I've never had issues with either, to see if it would work there, and lo and behold, Back Door Trojan Virus pops up!!!
Shame, cause it looks like a good one. But oh well, Big Fish has plenty more to choose from. Maybe the developers will fix whatever is causing this bug......

[Post New]by lilprincessred13 on Jan 31, 09 9:17 PM
It seems to me a lot of anti-virus sites are attacking us fishies here again..... Big Fish games don't have virus'. I am running a high tech anti-virus and two major firewalls on my computer and have never had a problem...
PS I played this game and never had a virus alert

Not trying to be mean here... Just frustrated that these companies can't get their act together and keep going after the fish...

BTW Google even detected all the internet as a virus threat today except their own Sites LOL

[Post New]by msannthrop on Jan 31, 09 9:51 PM
I got the same Trojan message today whilst doing a deep scan with Avast and have contacted customer support - I immediately deleted the game as no game is worth the risk. Too bad, I was liking it. It's a bit paranoid to think the virus programs are out to get anybody - especially Avast which is free - they are actually providing a service without which none of us would be able to use our computers! Surely they have better things to do than to do than try to "get" those of us who use Big Fish.

Edited on 01/31/2009 at 9:53:51 PM PST

[Post New]by lilprincessred13 on Jan 31, 09 10:52 PM
Not paranoid, just tech savvy....
BTW if you check the message archives, you will find that macafee did this to all games here a while back.... and avast has been hitting various games lately...

I think anyone with problems should contact customer support so they can contact the anti-virus makers

mixo
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
5 Posts

[Post New]by mixo on Feb 1, 09 4:30 AM
Hi Auntie_m7,

As the main developer of the Liong: The Lost Amulets, I assure you of our games have been thoroughly tested and are guaranteed virus-free and spyware-free.

Just to make sure after your post I urgently downloaded and installed the latest Norton Anti-Virus 2009 (with most updated virus database). Then I downloaded the Liong: The Lost Amulets directly from BFG. I scanned the installed game and its downloader exe manually with Norton Anti-Virus and it was scanned by its auto protection too but it did NOT alert any infection, virus or trojan.

As Lilprincessred13 advised please contact BFG customer support.

Thank you!

Mixo

AllisonW
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by AllisonW on Feb 1, 09 11:40 AM
My Symantec AntiVirus scan today picked up the same virus everyone else here is having. It's the Backdoor.Trojan and it's in Liong: The Lost Amulets. I've never had a problem with any games I've purchased from Bigfish but I hate the thought of having any sort of virus! I'm going to have to delete Liong before I even finish all of the bonus levels

[Post New]by sylverfish on Feb 1, 09 3:55 PM
Please read BFG message about this problem:
http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bigfishgames.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=165

Once when I had realized that my antivirus program incorrectly identified some things as harmful on my computer, I updated it and downloaded some of my games again, and then they were absolutely virusfree.

Usually the game kept the profile saved and I was able to continue the game from the point it was saved. So try to download Liong again, I'm sure it is virusfree, BFG guarantees their products.

bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

[Post New]by bootsie21 on Feb 1, 09 4:03 PM
Hiya, there is no virus in this game, I installed it and played it through, after reading these posts about a virus, I did a scan and no, no Trojan. in all the games I have bought, there has never been any kind of virus in a BFG game.

[Post New]by msannthrop on Feb 2, 09 8:34 AM
lilprincessred13 wrote:Not paranoid, just tech savvy....
BTW if you check the message archives, you will find that macafee did this to all games here a while back.... and avast has been hitting various games lately...

I think anyone with problems should contact customer support so they can contact the anti-virus makers

LOL - I like to think I am "tech savvy" enough to realize ANYTHING can happen on the internet, especially whilst downloading. And FYI I contacted customer support - I checked the forums only to see if others had detected the Trojan. It is great to be loyal to a site - but extraordinarily naive to think that some unintended issue might not occur. My position is no game is worth a virus or Trojan - no matter where it is from. And, since both my virus programs are updated at least once or twice a day I honestly think I can rely on them to alert me about potential problems. To take these comments as a slap in the face to Big Fish is to make others less likely to post about similar issues. And that really opens the door for problems.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Feb 2, 09 10:26 AM
msannthrop wrote:

LOL - I like to think I am "tech savvy" enough to realize ANYTHING can happen on the internet, especially whilst downloading. And FYI I contacted customer support - I checked the forums only to see if others had detected the Trojan. It is great to be loyal to a site - but extraordinarily naive to think that some unintended issue might not occur. My position is no game is worth a virus or Trojan - no matter where it is from. And, since both my virus programs are updated at least once or twice a day I honestly think I can rely on them to alert me about potential problems. To take these comments as a slap in the face to Big Fish is to make others less likely to post about similar issues. And that really opens the door for problems.

Of course something unintended could happen...IF when downloading the games, there was a connection back to another site. However, I'm pretty certain that all of the games offered here are stored on Big Fish's own servers and provide a secure connection when downloading, and I know they are thoroughly tested for viruses, spyware, etc., before being offered for download. The fact is that there have been quite a few false positive results lately from at least 3 different anti-virus programs. Also, since many anti-virus programs are now screening for things other than viruses, not everything picked up by an anti-virus program is always harmful. Just because an anti-virus program says something might be harmful doesn't always mean that it is. It could also be that a trojan already on your system and not from Big Fish at all could have attached itself to the game file immediately after installation. I don't think that recognizing these differences is being naive at all.

You mention that both your anti-virus programs are updated daily. Are you aware that running 2 different anti-virus programs on your system at the same time (in most cases just having 2 installed on the same system at the same time) not only interferes with the proper functioning of EITHER anti-virus program and increases the number of false positive results greatly, but can also permanently damage your system as well? ..........to be cont.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Feb 2, 09 10:57 AM
.......cont.

Any of the popular anti-virus programs I've seen (I've tried at least 3 over the years and looked closely at several others) will give you a strong directive when installing their product to COMPLETELY remove ANY anti-virus program you currently have on your system before installing the new one. This is not simply a use-mine-only advertising ploy. It is a true warning that having more than one on your system WILL very likely create problems that can cause serious damage.

I don't think the anti-virus companies are "out to get" anyone. I just know that there are times when programming code can be similar to a virus code and yet do something completely different and not be a virus at all. I am not saying these things in "naive" defense of Big Fish but to share some knowledge of anti-virus programs that some here just might not be aware of. I am also not saying to just ignore whatever your anti-virus program tells you. I AM saying to do your (general "you" here) research, contact Customer Service, and to be very careful to use your anti-virus programs correctly.

Hope this is helpful information to someone.

[Post New]by msannthrop on Feb 2, 09 11:29 AM
Gentlsong, I think your advice is very useful - however, many years ago I had my hard drive wiped out by a virus and since then I am very, very careful - my current anti virus system was recommended to me by a programmer who works at one of the larger companies who provides this very necessary service. What is fascinating to me that if the servers of large companies and the government can be cracked why couldn't it happen to Big Fish? I love the site - I have downloaded many many times here. But those messages from other users who take personal offense when such a thing is even suggested are extraordinarily naive to me. Perhaps BF should set up a special forum where these kinds of concerns can be posted and then looked into and responded to ONLY by their staff and not those who feel the need to prove their loyalty to an internet site or "tech savvy" to total strangers who probably could care less (and again, this is not you, Gentlsong, you make some valid points , even if they do not apply to me) by jumping to that site's defense at any valid concern. I realize CS is for that (and I did send them an email - reply time is 5 days) but it might save them a little time and generate fewer emails to have such a forum. Also it would be great to check there BEFORE downloading.

Edited on 02/02/2009 at 11:40:13 AM PST

auntie_m7
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by auntie_m7 on Feb 2, 09 1:21 PM
mixo wrote:Hi Auntie_m7,

As the main developer of the Liong: The Lost Amulets, I assure you of our games have been thoroughly tested and are guaranteed virus-free and spyware-free.

Just to make sure after your post I urgently downloaded and installed the latest Norton Anti-Virus 2009 (with most updated virus database). Then I downloaded the Liong: The Lost Amulets directly from BFG. I scanned the installed game and its downloader exe manually with Norton Anti-Virus and it was scanned by its auto protection too but it did NOT alert any infection, virus or trojan.

As Lilprincessred13 advised please contact BFG customer support.

Thank you!

Mixo

Hi Mixo and everyone else. I downloaded Liong and played it for quite awhile. I started playing it the day it was released and it was not until the day I made my post that the virus alert showed up. I use Norton (and no other antivirus software) and it updates tself 2 or 3 times a day. It was after one of the most recent updates that day, that it notified me it detected - and removed - a backdoor trojan virus in the liong2.exe file. So it was not an immediate warning on the same day I installed the game. In fact, I purchased it after trying it out and really enjoyed it so I was a bit dismayed to have to uninstall it.

I am not "attacking:" BFG at all - BFG is the only game site I have trusted to get my games from - and I have purcased many many games without any trouble (except for one that was not compatible with Vista). I am also aware of the thread about MfAcfee "creating" the "false" alert - but I do not have McAfee. I had a professional computer tech, who deals daily with removing viruses form computers, tell me that Norton was the best there is, so that's what I went with. And I am NOT saying other anti virus software is not as good - I have no idea. I am just saying what I have.

I am not that computer "literate" - I do good to figure out the games, use my word processing program and the photo programs, and that's about it. However, computer "savvy" or not - I, also, am not naive enough to think a virus could "never" come from a protected web site and never happen here, or to one of the games - especially to one that is not necessarily immediately detectable. I also contacted Customer Support the same day I posted and have yet to hear back from them on this.

Shauntie1
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by Shauntie1 on Feb 2, 09 1:35 PM
I also have gotten trojan warnings from my anti-virus program. I called the support tech and they told me that most games are actually viruses themselves. I know this site is safe and do not worry about my downloads but it is kind of scary when you get the message and tell it to put it on your "safe" list.

Go to: