bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Ghost Towns: The Cats Of Ulthar Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Feb 12, 12 12:18 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Ghost Towns: The Cats Of Ulthar Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Ghost Towns: The Cats Of Ulthar Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

Re:Reviews for Ghost Towns: The Cats Of Ulthar Collector's Edition

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Feb 12, 12 12:53 AM
This review is based on demo only. Interesting storyline of murder and mayhem. Decent graphics, appropriate music, no voice overs which is disappointing. So far game is heavy on the HOG scenes which are not interactive and more cluttered than junkpile with some items a bit on the tough side to find. Hint charges up fairly quickly. 3 modes of play with penalty in 2 of them. The guide does not function in the demo so have zip idea how long the game is. No map that I have found either.
There is a side game of finding 24 cats. So far play consists of the usual fare...find keys, pliers, etc. Played one mini game which was very easy. May be one of the to-ing and fro-ing genre. Not sure if a buy here, think I will wait on other fishie reviews before I decide to go with this one. Not thrilled about a CE without voice overs. Maybe I'm too picky.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Feb 12, 12 12:58 AM
Goodday fishies!

Here my review on base of the trial.

Pro:
- Original story
- Good Hint system (in Casual mode anyway)
- Nice enough graphics (although you have to like the style)
- Doable minigames but nothing new

Con:
- Too much to-ing and fro-ing IMO
- Repetitive music
- No voice-overs
- Junkpiley H0 scenes, objects a but blurry sometimes

All in all a too simple game IMO, made longer by backtracking and not CE-worthy. I mean I don't have to use the SG at all.

Well, try and makeup your own mind.

Have a nice Sunday!
-

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Feb 12, 12 12:59 AM
I totally agree with you on the voiceovers. If we are paying 13.99 for a game there could at least be that. I am playing Revenge of the Spirit and I used a PCC for that and that one had voiceovers. Some of the CE's seem they are out to get your money.

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on Feb 12, 12 1:10 AM
I'm going to echo everything CasualGran stated. I personally don't mind the to-ing & fro-ing, especially if there's a "click a locale and poof you're there" map included, which this one didn't have. Still, while fine-enough done as a game, this one is kind of a Goldilocks game. It's not too great, but not too bad, either. More, juuuuuust right... as a SE.

And now to add a comment of my own...

There are slight inconsistencies when visiting HidObj scenes. One in particular has you looking for matches. You find then, use them later, still have them in your inventory, and about 10 minutes later, when searching the same scene, those darn matches are there!! This non-progressive HidObj scene issue happens alot, and I really wish it didn't. It takes away from the game, not making it feel "real" but rather just a game. That make sense?!?!

In any event, I'm not sure if this bugs anyone else, but if it does, Devs PLEASE take notice!!

ETA: Oooh! I'm a squid now!! Sweet! Although, strange how it kinda resembles me until I've had a morning Diet Coke...

Edited on 02/12/2012 at 1:14:24 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Feb 12, 12 1:10 AM

I have literally been seduced by this game.

I came to the demo with the determination not to buy it even if I liked it because I just bought and enjoyed another CE but this game is more interesting than any other straight H0 adventure in recent memory.

Its' artwork is not quite as polished as some we've become used to recently (insert ERS here) but it has more involved gameplay (insert exploring, "thinky" here) and less overt hand-holding even on the easiest play setting.

The story involves a seemingly innocent Gypsy boy (accused of murder), his sister, and some cats who ate an old mean looking couple for some strange reason.

I have 6 cats who, I know, would chew on my carcass if I died suddenly and therefore couldn't feed them for any extended length of time - I don't begrudge them that

Anyhoo, I'm a buyer of this CE game with the interesting tale, good gameplay and now I'm bustling back to play my little adventure...

Edited on 02/12/2012 at 2:55:35 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 12, 12 1:13 AM
based on the demo:

I have no clue what makes this game CE-worthy.
I see a lot of back and forth.
I see junkpile HOS.
There is no widescreen (automatically eliminates a CE buy for me).
There is no voice-over, almost a given in today's CEs.
The music was the same the time I played.
The mini games were nothing unique.
The strategy guide does not work (maybe in the full version, but they should show you something!)
And I got a bad feeling that cat lovers like me might have a problem with the content of this game.
So I will have to wait on other reviews and trust my fellow fishies if I'm to change my mind on this one. (and then only as an SE, game's not CE-worthy in any case)
No buy here - disappointing, I thought this might be a good one.

ed - spelling

Edited on 02/12/2012 at 1:46:16 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Feb 12, 12 1:25 AM
My review is based on demo and beta testing. I really like the storyline. But no voiceover's and no widescreen make it hard for me to pay CE prices. The graphics are o.k. they are a little foggy and blurry. The animations a little cartoonish. I have never heard of the developer's before. You can't access the SG in demo...so it's hard to say how long it is or how many chapter's it has. I like the story enough to get this game with a punch card when the SE come's out. But I cannot see paying CE prices for a game that has many bells and whistles missing. Be sure to check this game out for yourself to see if it's up to your standards. Enjoy! I will when it come's out as a SE.

NO: Widescreen
YES: Fullscreen
NO: Voiceover's
NO: Access to SG in demo
YES: Hog Scene's and many of them (but I don't mind)
NO: Map
NO: No Sparkles in Hard mode. This is a plus!
YES: Curos options
Sound: Music/Sound only
Modes: Casual/Advanced/Hard
Theme: Ancient Mystery

I rate this game: “PIGLET”
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games.
‘ ‘
(o)

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Feb 12, 12 1:56 AM
As mentioned by previous reviewers lot of back and forth. You can pretty much figure out pretty quickly that you need to find a great number of inventory in order to proceed, Most of all these items need to be found in hidden object scenes, and from each scene only one item is of any use. This leads to an over abundance of hidden object scenes to be found. I do not miss the voice overs because I always play without any sound so leave the reviews to others. The story looks interesting, the game is easy enough to follow so you do not even miss the unavailability of the guide in the demo.The graphics are nice they give you a nice sense of a different time and place which is only occasionally spoiled by a few odd objects out of synch. I have not seen these developers before, they seem to have put a lot of effort in coming out with something a little different from the usual. Unfortunately for me the back and forth just became too tedious for such small rewards. Eventually it was just not enough to bother to save the boy. For those who enjoy Games heavy with Hidden Object scenes this one is for you, Enjoy.

[Post New]by JirafaVanidosa on Feb 12, 12 2:16 AM
I don`t now why, but this game got hooked me. I`m agree: no voiceovers, the graphics are not polished and a bit foggy, too many HOG Scenes...But the story and atmosphere are very gripping and involving IMO.
I very rarely buy the CEs, nevertheless I must have this one. Though I have to wait until the end of the month ( date of my regular game club credit).
Happy Gaming All !

BTW, the cat statue immediately reminded me of Bastet (or Bast), my favorite ancient Goddess...

Edited on 02/12/2012 at 2:38:58 AM PST

crypsynight
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by crypsynight on Feb 12, 12 2:34 AM
LovetoMissLisa wrote:My review is based on demo and beta testing. I really like the storyline. But no voiceover's and no widescreen make it hard for me to pay CE prices. The graphics are o.k. they are a little foggy and blurry. The animations a little cartoonish. I have never heard of the developer's before. You can't access the SG in demo...so it's hard to say how long it is or how many chapter's it has. I like the story enough to get this game with a punch card when the SE come's out. But I cannot see paying CE prices for a game that has many bells and whistles missing. Be sure to check this game out for yourself to see if it's up to your standards. Enjoy! I will when it come's out as a SE.

I have a 24" widescreen, and i found it used the whole screen.

Other than that there is very little i can say thrilled me with this game.
No voiceovers. The graphics were acceptable, but not astounding.
The hidden object games were 'junkpile', the puzzles were very easy and ordinary.

Definitey not what i would expect for a CE game.

Brendansoma1
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Brendansoma1 on Feb 12, 12 2:45 AM
I like this game, although to me it has too many HOS. The lack of a voiceover doesn't bother me. I never have the sound on since I'm a little deaf and like to read everything.
Too bad it doesn't have the SG in the demo, that way you can see if the game is mainly HOS and back-and-forth. So I'll wait till somebody finishes it and can tell me more about that + the length of the game and the bonus-play.

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Hapless on Feb 12, 12 2:46 AM
Morning Fishies

I just played the demmo and thoroughly enjoyed it. Its so refreshing to play games from different devs and I have not come across this one before.

I didn't find the HO's that junky at all certainly not as bad as some.

This one will definitely be a buy for me.

Linda

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on Feb 12, 12 3:16 AM
Based on the demo:

THE GOOD: The graphics were different, very interesting and very engaging. The soundtrack was not the usual run of the mill. The H.O, games were moderately challening and very well done. Some of the mini puzzles were very unique.
The little cats to collect throughtout the game were a lot of fun. The pictures of cats were cute. The meowing of the cats when you used the hint button and when it refilled was absolutely great and unique to this game.
The storyline was ineresting and very different.

THE BAD: The SG did not work so there is no way to tell if it would be helpful or not with this CE.

THE UGLY: Nothing.,
VERDICT:

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Feb 12, 12 3:24 AM
cbtx wrote:based on the demo:

I have no clue what makes this game CE-worthy.
I see a lot of back and forth.
I see junkpile HOS.
There is no widescreen (automatically eliminates a CE buy for me).
There is no voice-over, almost a given in today's CEs.
The music was the same the time I played.
The mini games were nothing unique.
The strategy guide does not work (maybe in the full version, but they should show you something!)
And I got a bad feeling that cat lovers like me might have a problem with the content of this game.
So I will have to wait on other reviews and trust my fellow fishies if I'm to change my mind on this one. (and then only as an SE, game's not CE-worthy in any case)
No buy here - disappointing, I thought this might be a good one.

ed - spelling

This is a review I like and accept: Informative, and just about the game!...

Nevertheless. I bought the CE. First, because the developers are new, and I feel a need to support them, and second,because the game has tremendous high potential, if the resolution and graphics will be fixed a little bit.

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

Edited on 02/12/2012 at 3:33:35 AM PST

Rainbow722
Flounder
Flounder
2,404 Posts

[Post New]by Rainbow722 on Feb 12, 12 3:31 AM
Good graphics. I play with sound off so no idea of what it sounds like. Game played well on my aging PC. I did get widescreen. Taba Games just started in January 2011 and this looks like their first PC game. The also have one social game and are working on a MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game). This game looks like a great start for them! Give it a try!

However, I will wait to purchase until I see if there will be a Mac version.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 12, 12 4:07 AM
Hello everyone...

This review is based on the trial version, which I played in easy mode:

There are 3 gameplay choices.

There is a choice between custom and system cursor.

There is no voice-over.

There is a journal, but no map.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are mostly messy, and I had problems seeing many of the objects because of the way the graphics/images are done.

Also, there are quite a few HOS following each other - none of which are interactive, unfortunately.

The graphics on the whole are very well done.

Puzzles are skippable.

Both the HINT and SKIP buttons take about a minute to fill (in easy mode).
I really would appreciate it if the HINT button does NOT take so long to refill in easy mode. Why make us hang around and wait for the refill? Same goes for the SKIP button. And I am only talking about "Easy" mode.

--- --- ---

The first thing that put me off this game is the fact that the SG (strategy guide) is not even partly available in the trial version.

Also, I would have appreciated more choices for the custom cursor. There is only the arrow and the magnifying glass, which is for everything else. Annoying, because when I want to combine something, the magnifying glass is not very specific. Not that I had problems combining things, but it seemed strange somehow to do it with the magnifying glass.

There are a number of cats to collect - as an achievement, I suppose.

There were moments when the game felt a little clumsy, which the magnifying glass cursor did not help with. LOL

Anyway... I will buy the SE when it comes out, because I am a HOG fan.

hazelize
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by hazelize on Feb 12, 12 4:23 AM
It's a funny thing about games: sometimes you expect a lot and are disappointed, other times you go in not expecting much and are pleasantly surprised. This is the latter, for a couple of reasons.

I found the HOGs to be easy to get through. I'm not a fan of HOGs and find the muddy, junkpile ones especially aggravating. These were well laid out and the graphics were clear throughout.

The rewards were immediate, in that many times as soon as you found an item you knew where to use it. As others have said, there is a lot of to-ing and fro-ing but, in the demo at least, travel was pretty much in a straight line and very quick. You are also immediately rewarded by returning small cat statuettes to a large central cat statue, which then dispenses items for your inventory.

There is also an additional "collect the 24 cats" game, but I couldn't tell from the demo if you'll need the cats for the game, if there was an associated reward or bonus, or what.

I'm not sure what makes this game CE worthy. I'd wait for the SE.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Feb 12, 12 5:01 AM
This is a good game, but I will wait till the SE this time. The graphic is good (not great, but good), hogscenes are okay.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Feb 12, 12 5:20 AM
I really was looking forward to this release..saw it this morning and went "yeah". After reading the reviews it became "uh-oh" Ok, played the demo and this is what I found:

Starts off rough, why is this kid being hanged, how can I save him when I don't even know what he did. The first hidden object scene is among all the townspeople who are frozen awkwardly and everything is grey..oh, noo, it's tiny little objects that are grey to un-seeable! How on earth do you all with laptops see this. And make sure your in a dark room without sunshine..otherwise it is impossible. I keep wanting to pull the trousers of one of the static townspeople and ask.."what's going on? what did he do". This seems like such an obvious add to the game to make it feel more alive. But no, it aint so.
You move on and talk to his sis and get the idea of the plot.."I shall save him!" you shout as you dart out of a phone booth, ready to come to the rescue...(remember those? phone booths?)
And bam, you hit another hideen object scene ( see how clever I am, I didn't use the inituals to trick those moderators). More squinting and clicking aimlessly and giving up and asking the cat for help. Now, mind you, every time I do that my golden-doodle sitting next to me, always at the ready to protect me from monsters, starts barking ..and he won't quit until I show him the screen and make the kitty sound over and over..."ohh, mnom,

Go to: