DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Comments for Ghost Towns: The Cats Of Ulthar Collector's Edition

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Feb 12, 12 12:26 AM
Hi there,
I have seen that some of the beta testers for this game have had "issues" regarding the treatment of cats.
I have also heard from a compatriot of mine, who is an animal lover like me, that these comments might be somewhat "inflammatory" and that there is really no need to be concerned.
My intention in opening this post with this information is not to "open a can of worms" but to allay the fears of others who might also have seen this information.
I am looking forward to a new treat tonight myself.
Cheers

tatsu1952
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

Re:Comments for Ghost Towns: The Cats Of Ulthar Collector's Edition

[Post New]by tatsu1952 on Feb 12, 12 1:04 AM
Thanks for the heads-up, DLO - that would be a distinct turn off for me (especially as my cat, Harry, was sitting right next to me when I was downloading the game ). All we need to know now is the approximate length of the game - the guide doesn't work in the demo. It may be fairly short though - only 270.50mb for the full version

Thanks again,

Tatsu (which is Japanese for dragon, btw )

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Feb 12, 12 1:15 AM
Hi tatsu - from one dragon to another ....
Sometimes the size of the download does not give a realistic indication of the length of a game, depending on the development software and other technical stuff.
However, I am a big advocate for the SG being available in the trial of a CE. Besides checking out the "length" of the games etc, how are we supposed to assess its worth if we feel we might need to use it and are being expected to pay double the price for it?
Well, my trial is finally ready, off to assess the game for myself.
Cheers

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Feb 12, 12 1:32 AM

I bought the CE and so, I have some info:

There are 6 Chapters plus a Bonus game. The SG has 54 pages, including the Bonus game.

I have not yet finished the first chapter - I'm about an hour into it - and it seems I still have, at least, another hour to go....

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 12, 12 2:11 AM
jkuci wrote:

There are 6 Chapters plus a Bonus game. The SG has 54 pages, including the Bonus game.

I have not yet finished the first chapter - I'm about an hour into it - and it seems I still have, at least, another hour to go....

Did the strategy guide not work for you in the demo, then did when you bought the full version?

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Feb 12, 12 2:17 AM
cbtx wrote:
jkuci wrote:

Did the strategy guide not work for you in the demo, then did when you bought the full version?

I didn't try the SG in the demo but, it works fine in the full version.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 12, 12 2:26 AM
jkuci----thank you!

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Feb 12, 12 2:35 AM
Had to comment - we are off to save the brother as he stands accused of a crime he didn't commit. The mayor is talking to the crowd which gives us enough time to get evidence to prove his innocence. Well all I can say is it must be a helluva long speech!!
Been at it an hour and he's still up there talking!

Edited on 02/12/2012 at 2:35:51 AM PST

Brendansoma1
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Brendansoma1 on Feb 12, 12 2:48 AM
katejoe999 wrote:Had to comment - we are off to save the brother as he stands accused of a crime he didn't commit. The mayor is talking to the crowd which gives us enough time to get evidence to prove his innocence. Well all I can say is it must be a helluva long speech!!
Been at it an hour and he's still up there talking!

ROFLOL!

flowerchild44
Marlin
Marlin
8,348 Posts

[Post New]by flowerchild44 on Feb 12, 12 2:50 AM
I have to say i was dissapointed with this game, and really fail to see why its a C.E.
the cartoon style isnt my cup of tea, and the junk pile hog scenes dont thrill me.
I was hoping this would be good, but can say its a no buy for me, the puzzle i did was very simple and the story line just didnt grab me at all,

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on Feb 12, 12 3:19 AM
I really enjoyed this game. I love cats.
It was very intense, very unique, and very fun.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Feb 12, 12 3:40 AM
DeadRiver wrote:I really enjoyed this game. I love cats.
It was very intense, very unique, and very fun.

Congrats, Marlin! Save the excalibur sword for Arthur...

Edit: I have 6 cats...

Edited on 02/12/2012 at 3:41:04 AM PST

LEOTA26
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by LEOTA26 on Feb 12, 12 3:41 AM
I enjoyed the game, even though it was pretty short. I completely finished the whole game in three hours. I read everything, played every puzzle, and didn't use any hints. I don't consider myself a fast player, I would say average. I wish now that I had waited for the SE.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Feb 12, 12 4:08 AM
I didn't play very long, just long enough to determine that I would probably purchase the game as SE, but not the CE. The HO scenes are just too muddled for me to pay $13.99 for the eye strain. However, I am interested in the story, and I like finding extra things, in this case, cats. Therefore, I'll have it on my list of SEs to purchase in the future. BTW, my cursor was a little wonky. Don't know if that was the game, or my computer.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 12, 12 4:35 AM
I was slightly bored with the game. Sorry, fans. And it didn't help that I was put off by the SG not working even partly in the trial version, nor did it help that the choices in the custom cursor are too few - arrow and magnifying glass. I don't want the magnifying glass to cover all of the item I am to point at when I need to combine things. Very irritating.

Also, I was able to use the HINT button before they threw the cat at me. LOL Cat is cute, and it reacted to a moth that came flying by once. Really cute. But I don't like the sudden MEOW when the HINT or SKIP button fills up. Makes me jump. LOL

Game is somewhat clunky in places, and HOS are too many one after the other. Just when I think I can get into the story and investigate a littel more, bam... there is the next HOS. And I didn't find them all that easy to look at either. Messy and the images were not too clear in many cases.

But, rest assured that I will get the SE, if only because I am a HOG fan. LOL

There, that is my rant over with.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Feb 12, 12 4:50 AM
I love cats with a passion, they are my favourite animal on the planet, but I found the constant meowing not a little grating and had to mute the sound effects.

The HOS are quite rough, almost as if the devs did not complete the concept art on them but decided they were good enough. They are not - too crude. Fortunately there are not many objects to find and the hint button is fast enough.

I am wondering if those villagers are going to be standing there in front of the boy throughout the whole game. Seems to me some of them are going to faint from hunger and lack of water.

It is not a very polished game, rather simplistic, but I quite like it, mostly because of the cat theme I guess, so I will buy.

My only concern is that someone has already finished it and reported it as only 3 hrs long. I very much hope I can get at least 4 hrs out of it, otherwise I will be left with that "ripped-off" feeling again.

Remains to be seen.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Feb 12, 12 5:03 AM
I was looking forward to this game. But I have to agree with Valdy. It just didn't bowl me over. The h.o. scenes (too many of them) were not clear and I found myself just clicking around the scene to remove items without even looking at the list, which is usually a pretty good indication that I am not that "into" the game. It had promise, but for some reason, it didn't hold my interest. I believe I'll have to pass, even though I would have liked to support what seems to be a new developer, or at least new to me, and I wish them luck in the future.

Vallarina
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by Vallarina on Feb 12, 12 5:17 AM
I have just finished the demo. I enjoyed the game and storyline.
True the graphics where a bit blurry. It seemed this was the style of the graphic artists.
You can not use the SG in the demo. But the hint "cat" will direct you to where you should go if you get stuck.
I may buy this CE, not sure yet.
I purchased "The Agency of Anomalies: Cinderstone Orphanage CE and have problems with saving game, therefore I am a bit wary of purchasing another game when I can't play the one I recently purchased.

Vallarina

barbaralbb
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by barbaralbb on Feb 12, 12 6:56 AM
This is probably a game I'll buy as a CE...., I love my cats: two indoor cats and two "volunteer" cats, outside (I'd never call them feral). Also a dog, but he's been raised around cats and is a bit confused as to his actual "breed".....!

I never play with the sound on, so the lack of voiceovers isn't a problem for me. Do wish the SG was available in the demo - what were the devls thinking to leave that out.. , should be a minimum requirement, don't you think?

Had already decided to take today as a "down" day and I need a game - guess this is it!

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Feb 12, 12 8:20 AM
Once again I am not bowled over enough with this game to pay the CE price, but will purchase as an SE

In my opinion a CE should be something that knocks your socks off with all the bells and whistles. This game has no voiceovers which I think should be there in a good CE. Way too many H0s, and no interaction, although I did not find items too obscure, but found myself clicking randomly which usually indicates boredom for me. You cannot see the SG at all during the demo, which I think is another demerit. The hint seemed to refill pretty quickly.

I am not big on games that are heavy in H0 scenes even the ones that are done well. I much prefer adventure and puzzles with a few H0s thrown in. But thats just me, maybe I have become too blase' and maybe my expectation bar is set too high , as it seems lately I am more disappointed than not.

Go to: