[Post New]by cleoladycat on Feb 13, 12 12:11 AM
Any comments fishes?

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

Re:Todays DD February 12 2012

[Post New]by tookat on Feb 13, 12 12:54 AM
I didn't even finish more than fifteen minutes of gameplay. I found it slow to load, slow to show which items were found and most annoying to me, when there were lists of items....such as three birds or five hearts, it didn't change the number so that you could keep track of how many you had found. It also did not remove items as you found them. That is a no no for folks with memory problems.

Graphics were ok....but uninspiring either.
I was bored and I am not easily bored....but it seems there was no story, just HOS. I honestly didn't play more than one scene, but there was no other type of game offered between that and the next, and I rebelled against playing the second screen.
Call me low attention span kitty.

I give this one a paw down. Flipper down? Nah....a paw down.

cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Feb 13, 12 2:39 AM
A good game for children but as tookat said it does not remove items or change numbers, if you click on one you have already found, it will tell you how many of that item you have found. There were 4 scenes in the mystery I tried and at the end you have one more finding items from all 4 scenes. Hint is also very slow to refill, I tried.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Feb 13, 12 7:31 AM

I liked this game; twas a nice respite from the harder games that I've been playing and am about to return to and finish.

The last 3 mysteries (or maybe just the last 2) have 5-6 search scenes rather than 4 and I did find some of the items to look for kind of tricky.

A couple of forum members were having problems with a couple of riddles (the mouse under the subject heading of "help me find" - I think) and the other about building the machine and what parts to search for. I posted answers (highlight to read them) under both subject headings.

Well, off to finish 1 of my more difficult games.

MEnr56

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Feb 13, 12 12:29 PM
I own I Spy Spooky Mansion, and enjoyed that game. This game not so much. This game has very unclear and grainy graphics. You have to wait until the narration is finished with each and every item found before clicking on another. Even at $2.99, that is to much to pay for this game.

minx69696969
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by minx69696969 on Feb 13, 12 2:51 PM
I am pretty sure that this game is for children. Easy to find H0G scenes, annoying V0, barely lastest 15 minutes. I also had an error screen on entry to the game asking me to insert a disc into the drive!? I just pressed cancel and it then loaded but this hasn't happened on any other game...........hmmmmm

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Feb 13, 12 3:01 PM
My 8 year old niece wanted to know "why is she talking silly like that? does she not know I'm 8? My teacher doesn't even talk to us like that any more". I was over the moon when she asked me to turn the "silly voice" off because it was talking to her like someone would talk to a baby. She liked that I said the riddles in a "normal" voice but she wanted to know why I wasn't clicking on items as fast as she was finding them. I was over the moon when she got bored 23 minutes into the demo. I am not sure to what age group this was aimed at but I think it could have been done a lot better. You had to expect an abundance of HOs (the clue is in the title) but why all the silly quirks? The length of time it took to be able to click on the next found item was ridiculous. Agreed, the found items weren't removed from the list but the words did turn a different colour (green) when found. It was annoying that the number of a specific item did not decrease when each was found but as we tend to look for items in the order that they're listed then we were able to keep track of that.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Feb 13, 12 3:46 PM
FYI this game was originally made for a children's game and based on a book at the time with picture puzzles. It was the forerunner or inspiration for BFG studios to adapt the idea and create HOGs for adults, thus the first MCF Huntsville, then Prime Suspects. Those probably looked like children's games, or do now, but it started the whole genre.

Must have been made about 2005 and innovative at the time for kids. BF may not have been selling it til 2010, at least when this forum was created. I belonged to another game club at the time and remember trialing it on Win 2000 and it hung up, tech wise for me. Later I did the demo here and agree, very low tech, slow etc and rather dull. We've come a long way from there to IHOPAs we have now with some HOS. But just in the interest of history it's worth looking at it, or for your library archives maybe.

Perhaps it is resurrected as a DD if a new one in the series is on the horizon.

EDIT to add Hidden Expedition Titanic, first in the HE series between the first 2 MCFs. Just looking at my club purchases which were 2006. Junkpiles and timers, but we loved them anyway, colorful, fun, interesting blurbs to read on HETitanic. Guess there is where the addiction started, speaking for myself only

Edited on 02/13/2012 at 3:51:56 PM PST

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Feb 13, 12 4:17 PM
Hi Puzzledone. Interesting history and it certainly brought back some memories. It was the early MCF games that actually got me hooked, way back when. I still enjoy playing MCF Madam Fate and I also settle down with HE Amazon or Everest when I just want to chill. I can't remember trying HE Titanic so maybe I'll look that one up.

Hope I don't get wrong for going off the topic of the DD but as it's late and it's nearly yesterday's DD, I hope I'll be forgiven LOL.

Once again, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Feb 13, 12 4:29 PM
Yes JulieJay, I start getting the "itch" to replay some of the oldies when the memory is ticked. When MCF Huntsville first came out on that first download site I knew of it was the rave. Then on their forums gamers got wind of HE Titanic but I had to come here to get it (falling out of the 2 companies), then we couldn't even chat about it on their forums. I found BF to be more to my liking in games and terms and here came MCF Prime Suspects. A few weeks ago for something fun (and a backlog of difficult games) I replayed Prime Suspects. I'd forgotten much of it and geez it took 4 hours, replaying some levels I timed out.

I picked up Huntsville again here on a 99c deal just to have them all in my gm. Nostalgia again.

I doubt if this I Spy would run on my W7 but don't think I'll spend the time, curiousity can kill my day

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Feb 13, 12 4:49 PM
I don't think it is OT (let others decide) since I just put it in a historical context. I enjoy reading kids' comments on their games. I'd guess kids have evolved as fast as games have these past 5 or 6 years with all the new media and gadgets.

It's an eyebrow raiser for me when a new SE is here and comments bash a game's quality. I want to respond (and do occasionally) just take a look at what we were buying just 2 years ago with good reviews, compare "quality".

One can see it from HE Titanic to HE Amazon, next in that series. Wow, no comparison, then jump to Madam Fate and be impressed how even BF studios stays ahead of the game so to speak. I suggest gamers play this demo and maybe appreciate more when they say there's no good games. I say they are all better than where we've been. And we've so many demands on what should be in a game, or out of like timers!!

Can't remember if I SPY games have timers, seems games all had them then before the industry discovered new demographics, oldies like me with failing eyesight and more time and money than speed.

juers777
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by juers777 on Feb 14, 12 1:16 AM
Read the reviews yesterday and just had to see if a game could really be that bad!
The voice was irritating and wouldn't stay turned off so I turned all sound off on laptop.Most of the objects are easy to find but some are very small and the hints do take a long time to come back. It was different to any other HOG I have played and the animations when you find an object are quite amusing and would make my grandchildren laugh. I bought the game as something easy to relax with at the end of the day.

Go to: