bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Amulet of Time: Shadow of la Rochelle

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Feb 14, 12 12:29 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Amulet of Time: Shadow of la Rochelle? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Amulet of Time: Shadow of la Rochelle page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

Re:Reviews for Amulet of Time: Shadow of la Rochelle

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Feb 14, 12 12:55 AM
Love from first sight! High quality graphics, and most important - superb hint system! You get help out of the HOS, and nobody tries to take an advantage on your pleasure...

Beautiful screens (wow and aaahhh), and deep research of the history theme, make your play full of pleasure.

You have to install again after the trial, because the file is 500 Mega.

Thanks developers, Thanks BF!!!

Edited on 02/14/2012 at 12:56:58 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 14, 12 1:06 AM
Good morning, R_L, and all other fishies...

This game is from gfi, and this review is based on the trial version, which I played in Casual Mode.

There are 2 different gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is a journal, but no map.

You are given tasks, and there is a TASK button, from where you can see what it was you have to do.

There is an amulet at the bottom right, and you have to find 12 pieces of it, which are all in HOS (hidden object scenes) and pointed out to you on the list, it seems.

The graphics are very well done.

The HOS, of which there are many, are clearly defined, and objects are easy to find. No interactions here. However, when you hover over a word in the list, you will see a silhouette of the item. Always nice.

Puzzles can be skipped.

Both the HINT and SKIP buttons only take 40 seconds to fill - mercyfully.

The HINT button can also be used outside of the HOS.

--- --- ---

When I saw that this game was from gfi, I wasn't sure whether I would like it. Also, there are a lot of HOS - pretty much one after the other, as well as finding objects on a list within the main scenes.

But... I don't know what it is about this game, but I like it. There are lots of different things to do. Gameplay is smooth, and you just glide somehow from one thing to the next.

I am sure that some peeps may find this game a little tame, but I enjoyed what I have played so far - some tranquility before the next stormy game... LOL so I will get this one.

Edited on 02/14/2012 at 1:11:33 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Feb 14, 12 1:15 AM
I like this game. The graphics are crisp and very clear. The story is very interesting and historical. No widescreen is disappointing for me. There are several hog scene's. This game is a winner compared to some of the SE we've been getting lately. The only problem I had was with the cursor. It was very sluggish and clunkly. I had to switch to windows cursor. This is a buy for me with a punch card, because I have one. It's a must try for sure. This game and the sale is a real Valentine's Day treat. Enjoy! And Happy Valentine's Day to Everyone!

NO: Widescreen
YES: Voiceover's
YES: Hog scene's
YES: Journal
NO: Map or SG
YES: No Sparkles in hard mode
YES: Custom cursor...but it was sluggish for me.
Two modes of play: Casual/Advanced
Sound: Music/Sound
Theme: Historical Adventure

I rate this game: “PIGLET”
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games.
‘ ‘
(o)

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Feb 14, 12 1:27 AM
I really like this game the graphics are great it's rich in history and ghost and betrayal and murder plots what more could you ask for. I love the way some of the search scenes are they are really different you think your done with one and well your not there is still something left you need to get for your inventory but you have to go to another completely different search scene. The hint system is most helpful the game plays as smooth as smooth can be it has very nice voice overs and it's just all together done very well and there seems to be lots to do with this one. This is a definite buy for me I fell for it in the first scene just gorgeous graphics and a great game. Thank you gfi and Big Fish for this rare and beautiful gem. Happy Valentines Day EVERYONE !!

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Feb 14, 12 1:55 AM
A true Valentine's gift this morning. A wonderful, wellmade game, worth to be a CE, but presented to us as a Standard Game. BF loves us, it seems.

This is what I found, based on the trial.

- A good story
- Crisp and beautiful graphics
- Welldone voice-overs A big PLUS to me!
- Seems long enough to please many fishies

An instant buy. THANKS BF!

And Happy Valentine's Day to all!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 14, 12 2:17 AM
Good Morning and Happy Valentine's Day to Valdy, Lisa, Lily, C-Gran, gmac1007, and all fishies. (and everyone at BFG)
I am in agreement with all of you. I was afraid it was going to be like that Shakespeare game from a while back, but--------
The game is excellent. I can't really add much of anything to what has already been said except that this game gets back to the premise of simply being FUN.
The scenes are all very beautifully done, and I really like the idea of their being objectives within objectives----complete a HOS, and there are still objects to find to complete the task. Different, and fun.
The HOS all have objects of relevance to the story----no footballs, cameras, etc, to find.
The only complaint I would have is that like Lisa, I thought the cursor was a little sluggish. But for a nice game like this I can ignore that.
I was also impressed with the variety of the scenes----from a creepy dungeon to a dress shop, etc.
I think everyone should at least take advantage of the trial----games like this are getting harder and harder to find.
A nice Valentine's Day game. (and a sale!)
Enjoy, everyone!

ed-spelling

Edited on 02/14/2012 at 2:19:18 AM PST

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Feb 14, 12 2:20 AM
cbtx wrote:Good Morning and Happy Valentine's Day to Valdy, Lisa, Lily, C-Gran, gmac1007, and all fishies. (and everyone at BFG)
I am in agreement with all of you. I was afraid it was going to be like that Shakespeare game from a while back, but--------
The game is excellent. I can't really add much of anything to what has already been said except that this game gets back to the premise of simply being FUN.
The scenes are all very beautifully done, and I really like the idea of their being objectives within objectives----complete a HOS, and there are still objects to find to complete the task. Different, and fun.
The HOS all have objects of relevance to the story----no footballs, cameras, etc, to find.
The only complaint I would have is that like Lisa, I thought the cursor was a little sluggish. But for a nice game like this I can ignore that.
I was also impressed with the variety of the scenes----from a creepy dungeon to a dress shop, etc.
I think everyone should at least take advantage of the trial----games like this are getting harder and harder to find.
Enjoy, everyone!

ed-spelling
Happy Valentine's Day to you cbtx !

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Feb 14, 12 3:18 AM
cbtx wrote:Good Morning and Happy Valentine's Day to Valdy, Lisa, Lily, C-Gran, gmac1007, and all fishies. (and everyone at BFG)
Enjoy, everyone!

ed-spelling

I'm in complete agreement with you about this game. I'm glad to see you had the same problems with cursor. I thought maybe it was my computer. Well, I'm not glad your having trouble with cursor. LOL And a very Happy Valentine's Day to you!

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Feb 14, 12 3:25 AM
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your reviews so far! I just wanted to swim by with a friendly reminder to reserve this thread for reviews only, to help us track your feedback better and to allow other fishies browse through your reviews more easily.

For any comments on this particular game, please feel free to join in on the discussion thread Comments for Amulet of Time: Shadow of la Rochelle.

Please note: the moderation team will go ahead and will remove any non-review posts after this reminder.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Feb 14, 12 3:39 AM
The main points having been covered, I just want to add that although I was hesitant with no map, really don't need one so far. Hint tells you where to go and locations or rooms are close together, back and forths aren't far.

The HOS are easy, especially with the on command silhouettes if you hover over or click on a word from the list. I like that the HOS flow without frustration or getting stuck on impossible to see objects. You can get right back to the story or characters without delay or interuption. Many times I totally lose track of a story point or forget it spending too much time in one challenging place.

I was glad there is a skip for puzzles at least during my timed trial. I really do enjoy those string puzzles but not with the timer on. Finished first 2 chapters just in time with 2 minutes left. I like to take my time and read all the journal entries, learn the characters. And, of course being historical it's guilt free buying since it is educational. Right? A remedial course for anything I forgot from highschool going game to game

Conspiracy, Intrigue, mystery with some talking ghosts in living color, nice way to learn while looking for stuff for your tasks. And no daemons, only the ones within which is true to life no matter the historical era, makes for good gaming.

Putting a punch down on this which I was saving for March so called budget but don't want to stop playing now.

Happy Valentines Day to all you gamers around the world

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Feb 14, 12 3:43 AM
After 30 minutes of the demo :

- 2 gameplay modes, easy, hard
- Journal
- You have to find 12 pieces of an amulet, think they're all in the H0
- Voiceovers
- Take button
- Hint and skip button fill quickly
- Hint useful outside of H0
- H0, you don't interact, you can see the silhouette of an object from your list
- Excellent graphics
- Very good story taking place in France under the reign of king Henri II, a lot of
usefull information about historical background

At long last I will be able to spend a punch card credit on what seems an excellent SE A buy for me, thanks devs

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Feb 14, 12 3:57 AM
The custom cursor was a bit on the "floaty" side on my laptop, but I don't mind so much since it isn't a game I'd want to fly through fast, just slow down and take in all the well designed scenes. I suppose the system cursor may go smoother or faster but I'd miss the changes in active zones as I play casual. I'd think twice if it was a CE price game. btw I'm on W7 fast laptop and never seem to have cursor problems until this one, just feels hard to "tame", maybe it will get better but it is still playable.

grama4jr
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by grama4jr on Feb 14, 12 4:02 AM
I always disable the custom cursor, dont know why, but I find it much easier to play the game. There is no floating and its much easier to control. Cold here in the midwest after our first snow of the season will be 55 on Sunday, crazy weather.
Happy Valentines Day to all of you! Happy Gaming!

Olliesgirl
Shark
Shark
12,073 Posts

[Post New]by Olliesgirl on Feb 14, 12 4:09 AM
It really makes me mad when yet again the games which offer easy/differcult modes doesnt deliver. I always love to play the games on the hardest mode and most times this includes slow hint loading and the promise of NO sparkling do- dahs !!!! This must be the 4th game in a row which has not kept to its promise when I have selected the hardest mode and low and behold there come those pesky, annoying sparkles again !!!!!!! Developers please take note for us gamers who are wanting a more challenging experience and drop the sparkles !!!!

.......oh and ermmm......Happy Valentines Day fellow fishes !!! xxxx..........

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Feb 14, 12 5:29 AM
dramajunkie wrote:I got bored. The whole demo was going from HOS to HOS, nothing but. Pop-up boxes don't close when you're done. Graphics were very clear, voices good, HOS on the easy side, uncluttered. Puzzles all very easy. Maybe it gets exciting later on, but the slow pace drove me away without finishing the hour.

I agree completely with this. Way too many HOS. Got tedious very quickly. I also agree with Olliesgirl - I always play hard mode to avoid sparkles and handholding. And what do I see - sparkles everywhere.

Not for me, even if it was free. Sorry.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Feb 14, 12 5:33 AM
At first I didn't think I would like this game but the more I play the more I liked it!

The graphics and voice overs are very well done. There are many hidden object scenes so those looking for more adventure had better try this first.

I found this a bit on the easy side but very enjoyable

I suggest trying it. Nice story and very different play.

That's all I can give for today or I will be late for work.

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY FISHIES!!!

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Feb 14, 12 7:01 AM
I played the Demo in easy, the game was very nice nice made, nice graphics, nice story (I truly like the history side of it), easy to navigate, puzzles are no very complicated.

The HOscenes were clear enough to be able to find the objects without getting frustrated.

I had not problems with the cursor as many have already posted, I actually went back to the game to see if my cursor was sluggish as I didn't noticed anything wrong with it while testing the first time not problems the second time.

I guess I am lucky.

This game is definitely a great SE and worth the price, but I will hold on to buy this one, for now.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Feb 14, 12 7:26 AM
dramajunkie wrote:I got bored. The whole demo was going from HOS to HOS, nothing but. Pop-up boxes don't close when you're done. Graphics were very clear, voices good, HOS on the easy side, uncluttered. Puzzles all very easy. Maybe it gets exciting later on, but the slow pace drove me away without finishing the hour.

That's exactly how I felt. If you're a fan of H0 scenes then you'll probably love this game, (possible spoiler) but I found the objects clustered, so that if you found one, all you had to do is click around it and you'd probably find half a dozen others..

I will give the developers credit for beautiful graphics and music and a decent story line but I quit with 10 minutes left in the demo.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Feb 14, 12 8:01 AM
Sorry but the cursor took the J out of Joy for me anyway !!!!

Go to: