bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Lost in Reefs - Released on January 24, 2009

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jan 23, 09 11:00 PM
Engage in the creation and exploration of an ancient and forgotten undersea civilization. Given the chance to explore multiple game modes and with an array of unlockable tools at their disposal, players will be able to complete their mission to destroy the ancient marble plaques and erect new cities. Only with the appropriate resources and patience will the bravest explorers be able to conquer the 400 levels and achieve dominion over this underwater kingdom.

Re:Lost in Reefs - Released on January 24, 2009

[Post New]by goldenpixie1 on Jan 24, 09 4:11 PM
I've just finished playing through my free hour on this one and I'm going to buy it. It's a lot like Fishdom in theme - including the part where you're putting buildings and fish into the "tank". You don't have any control over where the purchased pieces go though, but I'm guessing that has something to do with the storyline.

There is a relaxed mode!

There are 3 types of match-3 you can play (and of course I've drawn a blank on them now) and 3 types of game board to choose: square, octagon, and a mix of the two.

I haven't yet run into any boards that have me pullilng my hair out - lol!

Easy, relaxed game.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Jan 24, 09 5:39 PM
I bought this game at the end of the free period, and have played it quite a bit. It is very nice for anyone who likes a nice untimed match 3 game that is not too simple (there is also a timed version for you adrenaline junkies). There are interesting power-ups that require some discretion, and some levels cannot be solved without power-ups, so you may find yourself regretting using them just for fun. It's one of those games where you learn how to play it well as you go, and playing it several times will definitely be fun. One interesting aspect is that you can gain a power-up by filling the "dragon breath" (I think I got the name right) even with matches that break no new tiles. So one strategy, if you are close to getting the power-up (and you need it) is to avoid winning the level too fast. (I am talking about the untimed version here.) Save one tile until you get the power-up, then smash it. The game promises to be a thinking player's game rather than a "match-anything-at-all-as-fast-as-you-can" game. It is not TOO similar to Fishdom, but if you liked Fishdom, you will like this.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Jan 24, 09 6:21 PM
Thanks all for you comments. I played the demo and really liked this as a M3 game. I have it on my to buy list. I've also had Fishdome on the list but I like this over Fishdome because of the different ways to match and the different power ups!

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Jan 24, 09 6:51 PM
Sante, you are right that Fishdom is more straightforward. The difficulty is mostly in how the different screens are arranged. (Some spots are really, really hard to match.) Lost in Reefs has some of that kind of difficulty also, plus the variety, so you can't go wrong in trying it first.

[Post New]by hersheejess on Jan 24, 09 8:11 PM
I got really frustrated with levels that I had to use power ups to blow-up unreachable, locked items I had 2 power ups the first time it happened, but 2 levels later were the same unreachable objects. I was going to have to play that level for a long time just to get power ups (my demo ran out by then). It also seemed like it took a long time to accumulate enough items to purchase upgrades. By level 25 i had only just purchased the 3rd building. It was a fun game to play though. And the relaxed mode is great if you just need to get power ups.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jan 24, 09 9:12 PM
I'm not crazy about match 3, but it was kinda fun. Addictive, actually, I couldn't believe my hour was up so fast, LOL. Kinda like Big Kahuna Reef to me. I never played Fishdom. I like Big Kahuna better, though.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Jan 25, 09 9:17 PM
I purchsased the game and stayed up 3 hours past midnight playing! This is one of the keepers as it reals to M3 games.

[Post New]by FROGPOND17 on Jan 27, 09 8:25 PM
i really liked this game, however i had a big problem with it running so slow, just made me frustrated. too bad, i think it would have been a keeper. the graphics are great.

[Post New]by Cabbagepatcher on Jan 28, 09 4:22 AM
I purchased this game as I hadn't purchased a Match 3 for a while and I liked the fact that you can change the game settings around. Not sure if it's going to be a keeper for me though.

MrPuzzler
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by MrPuzzler on Jan 28, 09 2:02 PM
After 13 buildings you will find a SECRET PLACE!!! ... anyone else found it?

crispinscot
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by crispinscot on Jan 28, 09 2:55 PM
Yes - I found the secret place but didn't know what to do on that level. Should I have gone into one of the levels. I just clicked my left mouse button in the hope that I would get some instructions bur it just moved to the next level. Feel I have missed out on some extra bonuses somewhere!

knitnow
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

How do you earn the power ups?

[Post New]by knitnow on Jan 28, 09 4:16 PM
ecblisa wrote: One interesting aspect is that you can gain a power-up by filling the "dragon breath" (I think I got the name right) even with matches that break no new tiles. So one strategy, if you are close to getting the power-up (and you need it) is to avoid winning the level too fast. (I am talking about the untimed version here.) Save one tile until you get the power-up, then smash it.

How can you tell when you are getting close to a power-up?

'm on Level 38 now, doing the "group" version. It just seems like it takes forever to earn enough of anything to buy a building and earn the other features.

I enjoy a challenge, but this is kinda crazy.... I'm getting 'mouse knuckles' from all the point and click things, just trying to earn more of everything on each level. I generally prefer the slide/match versions, but in this game it seems like it would take forever to earn enough food/money/etc to buy the buildings.

MrPuzzler
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by MrPuzzler on Jan 29, 09 12:41 AM
crispinscot wrote:Yes - I found the secret place but didn't know what to do on that level. Should I have gone into one of the levels. I just clicked my left mouse button in the hope that I would get some instructions bur it just moved to the next level. Feel I have missed out on some extra bonuses somewhere!

Now, you have to complete all game modes to fill dragons in the room ... after all you will open the door!

MrPuzzler
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by MrPuzzler on Jan 29, 09 1:10 AM
I enjoy a challenge, but this is kinda crazy.... I'm getting 'mouse knuckles' from all the point and click things, just trying to earn more of everything on each level. I generally prefer the slide/match versions, but in this game it seems like it would take forever to earn enough food/money/etc to buy the buildings.

You don't have to earn maximum on every level ... just play trying to destroy all puzzled cells. Sometime you will get new type of resources (more valuable) just after the level, so on a next level you can collect items faster.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Feb 2, 09 1:08 PM
knitnow wrote:
ecblisa wrote: One interesting aspect is that you can gain a power-up by filling the "dragon breath" (I think I got the name right) even with matches that break no new tiles. So one strategy, if you are close to getting the power-up (and you need it) is to avoid winning the level too fast. (I am talking about the untimed version here.) Save one tile until you get the power-up, then smash it.

How can you tell when you are getting close to a power-up?

'm on Level 38 now, doing the "group" version. It just seems like it takes forever to earn enough of anything to buy a building and earn the other features.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Feb 2, 09 1:11 PM
On the bottom of the screen, there is a dragon, and each time you make a match, the "breath curls" (my name for it) on each side fill up more. When the filled part goes all the way to the end, you get a power-up.

(Sorry -- I didn't manage to get the quote and the answer on the same screen )

Edited on 02/02/2009 at 1:12:26 PM PST

crispinscot
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by crispinscot on Feb 13, 09 1:51 AM
MrPuzzler wrote:
crispinscot wrote:Yes - I found the secret place but didn't know what to do on that level. Should I have gone into one of the levels. I just clicked my left mouse button in the hope that I would get some instructions bur it just moved to the next level. Feel I have missed out on some extra bonuses somewhere!

Now, you have to complete all game modes to fill dragons in the room ... after all you will open the door!

Hi - I've finally found all the buildings and completed my town but had a message that I didn't have enough points to open the door.
How many points does it need and will I know when I'm almost there?

MrPuzzler
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by MrPuzzler on Feb 13, 09 3:26 AM
crispinscot wrote:Hi - I've finally found all the buildings and completed my town but had a message that I didn't have enough points to open the door.
How many points does it need and will I know when I'm almost there?

You have to get 300.000 points ... you can see such message in the room (if you stay there for a little bit)

Edited on 02/13/2009 at 3:29:43 AM PST

crispinscot
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by crispinscot on Feb 14, 09 1:58 AM
Thanks. Yes - I've finished the game and opened the secret door.
Now what? It seems a bit pointless to begin under another name as the end result will just be the same. Maybe there should have been a time element on this game so that the amount of time spent on it would accumulate each time I logged on and played and then there would be an incentive to play again but faster and taking less time. As it is, tho I enjoyed the game, I see I have another game credit so I might look for another game.

Go to: