bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Gem Boy

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Feb 15, 12 12:20 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Gem Boy? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Gem Boy page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

Re:Reviews for Gem Boy

[Post New]by QEIII on Feb 15, 12 1:31 AM
There is name for this type of game which I can't remember. Ball breaker??! You have to hit blocks with a ball and then keep hitting the blocks by moving a paddle to keep the ball in motion.

You have 5 lives and different abilities fall down which you have to catch with your paddle.

The game starts with a little boy being sucked into a video game who then meets with a wizard who shows him a map to get home - usual sort of blah blah!!

I lasted 4 mins before all my lives had gone. Not for me - never in a million years - but might be good for kiddies who like that sort of game.

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Feb 15, 12 2:55 AM
Hi, QE.

I see, the game is similar to Breakout. That was the original game by Atari. Then years later, the next popular one was Arkanoid, which added the power-ups. I love those games, so I will try it out. Thanks.

[Post New]by crypticdragon on Feb 15, 12 3:20 AM
I've always loved these Breakout type games and would buy this one in a heartbeat if it were not for one major flaw. The curser arrow still shows up on the screen when you're trying to play the game and moves around when you move the mouse. This is very distracting and makes you miss the ball because you're looking too many places at once and can't always tell the ball movement from the curser movement. What's up with that? I've played this type of game before and the curser arrow is not visible while playing.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 15, 12 3:55 AM
This looks like one of those old "Ball & Paddle" game I played on the Commodore 64, I think it was, where you could programme your own games into the machine. And this was one of them. Liked it then, but definitely not now. Sorry.

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Feb 15, 12 7:14 AM
Oh, no, cryptic; the cursor appears on the screen. That's terrible. Well, maybe I'll check out the demo, but a moving cursor on the screen is a no-no.

BTW, I was the old Breakout champ years ago.

Gojira2006
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,183 Posts

[Post New]by Gojira2006 on Feb 15, 12 7:21 AM
QEIII wrote:There is name for this type of game which I can't remember. Ball breaker??!

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Feb 15, 12 8:31 AM
Gojira2006 wrote:
QEIII wrote:There is name for this type of game which I can't remember. Ball breaker??!

Oh dear Gojira - I just realised what I said!!! How incredibly embarrassing!
My thanks to Dominick for the CORRECT name.

(slinks away into a dark corner)

Gojira2006
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,183 Posts

[Post New]by Gojira2006 on Feb 15, 12 8:36 AM
QEIII wrote:
Gojira2006 wrote:

Oh dear Gojira - I just realised what I said!!! How incredibly embarrassing!
My thanks to Dominick for the CORRECT name.

(slinks away into a dark corner)

Oh, my God - I just snorted my Dr. Pepper up my nose . . . !

[Post New]by ditzie45 on Feb 15, 12 11:40 AM
This is a Brick Breaker type game, but has a little bit of a strategy twist and a story line. You have to collect crystals and learn spells to advance to the next level at certain intervals. The recipes for the spells are already there for you and it is not difficult, but it did take me a minute to figure out what I was supposed to do to make different shaped gems. I had a game called blast through a long time ago that I loved and have tried several brick breaker games here but could not find one I liked. I ended up purchasing this at the end of my trial mostly because the ball behaves like you would expect it to most of the time. I did not have the issue where the cursor shows on the screen, only the paddle. It is a timed game, but I only ran out of time once. There are usually plenty of power ups to increase your time, you just have to catch them.

I like the arcade type games sometimes if I have just a little bit of time to play and don't want to get into a more time consuming and complicated game. I think this will fit the bill just fine.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Feb 15, 12 11:56 AM
It was fun to play as it brought back the earlier games I was so fond of. It might be worth a DD game but not a full price. Will try to keep in on a list. I also had to figure out how to make different crystals to move on.. A little different and enjoyed the trial.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Feb 15, 12 11:57 AM
It was fun to play as it brought back the earlier games I was so fond of. It might be worth a DD game but not a full price. Will try to keep in on a list. I also had to figure out how to make different crystals to move on.. A little different and enjoyed the trial.

INGamePlayer
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by INGamePlayer on Feb 15, 12 11:57 AM
I didn't last much longer than QEIII, but not because I couldn't play it. Appeared to be very amateurish, if that's a word.

To begin with, even with the Full Screen option selected, the only thing that expanded to fill my wide screen was the black space around the square playing area! And that was only about 10 inches square.

The text also appeared to be awkward, possibly a translation issue. Example: He did not know all the dangers that lied ahead.

The game play was very basic--no bells and whistles like other good brick breakers such as the Ricochet series.

I actually came back to the BFG site to see if I'd downloaded a game for a mobile device by mistake--just didn't seem up to the level of a real computer game.

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Feb 15, 12 12:48 PM
Same old game with different trappings. Kind of boring. Even when it first came out in the eighties I thought it was kinda boring.

LobsterMann
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by LobsterMann on Feb 15, 12 8:18 PM
Sorta reminds me of Aquaball, but outside of the breakout idea, Gem Boy isn't in the AB arena. It's slow, jerky and boring. Accent on slow. Not recommended. Try Aquaball instead.

Snaffled
Marlin
Marlin
9,392 Posts

[Post New]by Snaffled on Mar 6, 12 10:45 AM
This is a new spin on the old Break Out games. I like the response on this one because it's logical. No trouble with running out of time as long as you attend to the power ups. Good game to add to your collection, IMO.

Go to: