bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for White Haven Mysteries

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Feb 17, 12 12:28 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of White Haven Mysteries? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the White Haven Mysteries page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for White Haven Mysteries

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 17, 12 12:31 AM
Good morning, fishies...

This review is based on the CE trial version, which I played in easy mode. So just ignore the parts about the SG.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

The HINT button fills within 20 seconds, and the SKIP button, which is located at the top right-hand corner, fills about as quickly.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) were sometimes messy and sometimes not.
They were sometimes dark, and other times not.

The graphics were well done.

The SG (strategy guide) follows your progress, and highlights the part where you need to do something immediately.

When you click on "Home" within the SG, it will always show the page where you are at in the game.

There is a journal, which gives you info on what you have to do, and adds documents you find throughout the game.

There is no map.

--- --- ---

There are a few nice additions to this game, which I haven't seen in other games, and which makes it more interesting to play.

However, I have played too many games that are placed in mental hospitals, and therefore gave the CE a miss and waited for the SE, especially since I wasn't thrown off my chair with excitement.

Happy Friday, everyone.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Feb 17, 12 2:21 AM
This game was truly horrible. I love these devs game with a passion, but this one was totally messed up and a waste of time to play. Then my game crashed twice before the game was over so I don't know how the bonus was like. I got my money back on this one. If you notice all 3 screen shots on the download page is H0G scenes, that's about the size of this game.

Game play: One H0G after another literally. It seemed like that's all you were doing was playing H0S's. Yes you do get items after you play a H0G for the game, but I remember one time you played a H0G to get a key to open this cabinet right away just to play another H0G. No time with this game at all.

Story: Barely one. You were too busy playing H0G's to really have a story. Read about the story on the download page is about the size of the story in the game.

Graphics: Yes the graphics were awesome, but this dev always had awesome ones.

Music: O.k.. It fit the game.

Mini games: Of what you got of them were not mind boggling to say the least. I got by no problem and didn't need the skip button. Although I don't usually use the skip button because to me that ruins the game. The only type of mini game I will skip is the tile sliders where you have to leave one space empty. Hate those.

Hint button: I use my hint button if I get lost in the game and don't know exactly what to do next and this one seemed to charge pretty quickly. I very rarely use them in a H0G unless you have a junk pile scene and the objects are really hard to see. That's only on occasion.

Length: It wasn't long but it wasn't short either. It was o.k.. I wouldn't have gotten the CE version that's for sure.

All in all this game rated 2 in my book. Every awesome dev has an oops every now and then cause after all they are human, and it was this dev's oops.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Feb 17, 12 3:05 AM
The mechanics of this game have already been very well covered.
I will not repeat them, only affirm that I completely agree with the good things listed about this game.
The graphics are crisp and clear.
I music IMO was theme appropriate and I enjoyed it.
The sound FX are very, very well done.
There are a lot of H0 scenes, but I enjoyed both them and the puzzles.
I timed out the demo on the CE, but decided I would wait for the SE.
I played most of this one to see if I liked it as well as I remembered.
I DO!
It is a buy for me and I recommend giving it a try to see for yourself.
BK

Nagster
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by Nagster on Feb 17, 12 5:20 AM
Uninstalled it after 5 minutes. If you can stand the constant pop up boxes letting you know what you just picked up, play on. "You Obtained XYZ." "You Obtained ABC". No kidding. That was a rope? I wasn't aware.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Feb 17, 12 6:05 AM
spiritdog51 wrote:I seemed to have missed the CE of this game. Too many pet deaths around this time.

I thought I had missed it as well until I looked at a closeup of the telephone shot there. Then I realized I had played it, but some things just aren't worth remembering. Sorry, devs.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Feb 17, 12 6:12 AM
I review this game on the CE demo, I found the demo OK, later on I bought the CE and it was a good game, nice graphics, littler dark, some of the HOscenes were quite challenging when it comes to finding the objects.

The story was OK and the game was interesting.

If you can get this one as a SE now with the sale is will be a great buy.

Is worth it.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Feb 17, 12 6:45 AM
I was so tired of playing hos's I couldn't remember the story or even if there was one. These HOGs have to stop. Every developer thinks we ALL want them, well guys, we don't. Ever since Mysteries of Ravenhurst and all those games came out, it's been like a landslide of HOGs. I and I'm sure many others are tired of these games. I actually have gone to another game site where they offer adventure games, the real adventure games, not hidden object ones. I can't believe that every game here has to have that in them, why I guess you know, I won't be buying this game, even it was $1.00 because it isn't worth my time or money.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Feb 17, 12 7:18 AM
I have tried this game today again (after the trial of the CE), but didn`t liked it very much. For me its a no buy- even for the discount price this weekend

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Feb 17, 12 7:42 AM
I've had plenty of time on my hands lately, can't wait for winter to be over with, so having plenty of hog scenes is no problem for me. Spooky, insane, on the dark side, thats for me and my kind of games. I demo'ed the last game and enjoyed but at the last minuted decided not to buy it, started to get bored, but this game, I love scary games, I dont' get bored at all with them. I like this one alot.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Feb 17, 12 8:28 AM
hannah57 wrote:I was so tired of playing hos's I couldn't remember the story or even if there was one. These HOGs have to stop. Every developer thinks we ALL want them, well guys, we don't. Ever since Mysteries of Ravenhurst and all those games came out, it's been like a landslide of HOGs. I and I'm sure many others are tired of these games. I actually have gone to another game site where they offer adventure games, the real adventure games, not hidden object ones. I can't believe that every game here has to have that in them, why I guess you know, I won't be buying this game, even it was $1.00 because it isn't worth my time or money.

Sorry Hannah I don't know this "we" business so don't include me. I love H0G's and I am a die hard fan of them, so you can exclude me from this "we". H0G's are a big seller.

misty5
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by misty5 on Feb 17, 12 9:37 AM
I suspect the reason why there are so many HO games is because that's what the majority of users want and buy, so it only makes sense from a producer's perspective. That being said, I can sympathize with Hannah and all non-HO fans and understand their frustration: for years, I've been looking fruitlessly for yellow Cape Cod kitchen curtains, but apparently yellow isn't a big seller because I'm still looking. Here's hoping all fishies find plenty of what they want............

Oh-oh. Being this is a Review thread, thought I'd better edit to add a short review:

Graphics -- excellent
Storyline -- was expecting it to be the same old boring "hospital escape", but am pleasantly surprised that the story is a notch or two above the usual for that theme and I find it intriguing.
Mechanics -- smooth and easy
Atmosphere -- perfect for the theme
Special effects -- better than average in the crowd of spooky games

Loved the CE demo and was just waiting for the SE to come out before buying. How nice that the sale happens to be on at this time!

Edited on 02/17/2012 at 9:51:04 AM PST

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Feb 17, 12 10:04 AM
To start with, a nice long demo Took me 59 mins (and considering I'd already played the CE and got through the first half very quickly, that's good).

I remember commenting on the CE reviews, that I found this game very reminiscent of Shady Pines. I feel the same about it now, but about half an hour in decided that I enjoyed it more. Yes, it's the same old plot, same villainous voice-overs etc as ever, but what can I say? It works for me. Good graphics, fine HO scenes for me, although would have been better had they included the interactive element seen in many other games. Only came across (I think) 2 puzzles, which didn't seem very hard and the chandelier one - what the heck was that about? STRANGE puzzle.

One criticism would be, when you zone into an interactive area and it pops up in a window, it's hard to get out of it, especially if you try to use the wrong inventory item. It keeps repeating whatever line it uses to tell you you're wrong, and however you click you can't drop the item. I think the old right click should have been utilised here to allow you to drop the item without having to return to inventory. Just my opinion.

Overall, a good game, not a stunning one, but a few hours of fun methinks. I'm not in a hurry to buy, not because it's not good but because I have played a lot of games this week and am suffering from overkill. Plus the kids have been away this week so I've had more time but we are collecting them tomorrow so next week I might be too busy to play. I will probably wait until I've finished the few unplayed games I have on the GM as well. Having said that, it IS the PD sale so anything might happen

[Post New]by BearCreekStables on Feb 17, 12 9:12 PM
I kinda like the story but the pop up boxes were crazy, who"s ideal was that to tell me that I picked up something and then have to click the box to go away,,,,, boring,,,,,,Although I liked Hidden Object Scenes there was too many for me as i like a little adventure mixed in.

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Feb 18, 12 2:14 AM
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for providing those reviews! I just wanted to remind you to avoid commenting on reviews in this particular thread.

If you'd like to discuss reviews or non-review related comments on the game, please feel free to do so over here.

Please note: non-review posts created after this post will be removed.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

Cyndo123
Shark
Shark
14,957 Posts

[Post New]by Cyndo123 on Feb 18, 12 9:46 AM
Like others have said before me... This game is great! Dark, eerie.. and parts that make you JUMP!

Play with the sound up loud to get totally immersed!

Well done developers.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Feb 18, 12 1:01 PM
Too dark..you can't find stuff if you can't see it. Usually I love this developers games, but not this time.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Feb 19, 12 8:09 PM
this game is worth it especially with the discount coupon of FELIX lots of back and forth but exce game.Hint button very helpful had to use it often for kept getting lost lol have fun fishy'sssssssssssssss

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Feb 20, 12 2:33 AM
This game was okay. I was disappointed when the demo ended. The gameplay was fairly easy enough to follow. There were a lot of HOS's. Some of them were a bit more challenging than usual. I don't know if it was the graphics or what, now thinking back about it. (Might of been just me....) I can only remember a couple mini games in the demo that weren't too bad, but you had a fairly quick skip button if they were tough for you. I would rate this game a 7 out of 10.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 20, 12 2:30 PM
I've been looking fruitlessly for yellow Cape Cod kitchen curtains, but apparently yellow isn't a big seller because I'm still looking

Love it!

Really enjoying the game so far. Sorry not much of a review. But I am glad I bought it.

Go to: