General tips thread

skpjazz
Herring
Herring
392 Posts

Re:General tips thread

[Post New]by skpjazz on Feb 3, 18 11:48 AM
SynthpopAddict: I'm glad that you admitted that the final release seems harder than the beta version! I thought it was just me LOL! However, I still prefer the limited moves in advanced difficulty. I would rather give up a life (reluctantly) than to resort to switching to relaxed mode. But, I agree that being able to switch the game difficulty at any time is a great feature!

Edited on 02/03/2018 at 11:51:48 AM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,718 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 3, 18 11:59 AM
Hi skpjazz, did you try unclicking advanced in the game options so you can play in regular limited moves? I heard there were 200+ moves given in regular limited moves but haven't confirmed it.

I'm kicking myself for not playing the crystal rooms while beta testing.

skpjazz
Herring
Herring
392 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Feb 3, 18 12:46 PM
Hi SynthpopAddict,

I was just coming back to edit my post to say that I also didn't want to switch to normal difficulty, either! It's almost like I'm telling myself that I'm not a very good player LOL! I'm doing OK on advanced difficulty, I just have to make sure I keep my focus, and try to make smart moves!

As far as the crystal room, I loved it during the beta and I didn't want to pass it up. In fact, during the beta, I had asked why a popup wasn't included after you complete the garden room to let you know it was available to go there. I'm sure there are some players that only see the "continue" button and forget one of the arrows will take you there. (I just wish that in the future JM games that mahjong is replaced with something else!)

[Removed by Moderator]

[Post New]by jky630 on Feb 3, 18 1:06 PM

Edited on 02/03/2018 at 5:30:12 PM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,718 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 3, 18 4:05 PM
LOL skpjazz we are really two peas in a pod, aren't we? I am plodding along in advanced timed and refusing to buy time for the same reason! Sometimes I think our favorite game designer must be chuckling about this. I too wish they would replace the mahjong games with some other type of minigame for future games. And the layout you get for 100 emeralds has been around since the 90s in other mahjong games! Maybe they can put in some of the higher-lower solitaire games since they're doing solitaires now, or have some of the puzzles like in that Sophia's-something game that just came out?

[Removed by Moderator]

[Post New]by ghjwmur511 on Feb 3, 18 4:26 PM

Edited on 02/03/2018 at 5:29:39 PM PST

[Removed by Moderator]

[Post New]by nemecuti on Feb 3, 18 5:07 PM

Edited on 02/03/2018 at 5:29:56 PM PST

bfgBeruna
1,955 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Feb 3, 18 5:34 PM
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for letting the Moderation Team know about the spam posts in this thread. They've been removed, and we sincerely appreciate your patience while waiting. Since the Forum Rules ask that spam posts not be replied to or discussed, please always feel welcome to PM a member of the Moderation Team if suspicious posts are encountered. We'll investigate the post and take action as quickly as we can.

Have a lovely weekend.

bfgBeruna

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,718 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 3, 18 6:50 PM
Thanks bfgBeruna for cleaning up this thread, it's appreciated!

And now back to the tips...

Bonus level 38 (moves mode):

-I found a bug in the top room of this level. The scroll arrow doesn't work at all. So if you want the perfect on this level, make sure you got the coin bags out of the other rooms before going into the top room. If you just want to win it, make sure you cleared all the tiles from the bottom and middle rooms before entering the top room.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,718 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 6, 18 10:05 PM
CE extras bonus game 20 (race mode):

-I don't think it's possible to even win this in advanced timed. Finally caved in and set the difficulty to normal which was the only way I could even get past it. There seems to be a huge issue with the mace pieces causing the screen to hang up on the left side of the V especially when you get near the very end, so you can't even reach those last few spaces at the bottom corner. Extremely annoying.

[update] I finally dumb lucked it out in advanced timed with getting the arrows and ladybugs to clear out the maces just right and closed the map on the left side of the V so the screen finally budged enough for me to get to the very last few spaces with something like 2 seconds left! It still took a LOT of tries.

On a better note, it was suggested to try playing in windowed mode, and when I tried it with the latest version just now, lo and behold, windowed mode actually scales down properly to where I have an actual window! The previous version still had an "overflowing" window which pretty much looked like fullscreen except for the Windows taskbar at the bottom.

Edited on 02/06/2018 at 10:58:39 PM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,718 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 6, 18 10:37 PM
Weird discoveries: You can't use the hammer on a ladybug. [update 2/9/18] It turns out I'm wrong on this, as you can squish the ladybug with the hammers but nothing happens when you do, so don't be mean to ladybugs! You can still collect the butterfly if you happen to make a match where the butterfly gets swapped against the wall. I called that "being mean to butterflies" in the previous game since I couldn't help but think I was slapping them against the wall any time I did that LOL!

I used to be a birdwatcher and can't help but laugh at how the seagulls' legs are done in the game. That's a lot of drag!

Edited on 02/09/2018 at 7:28:07 AM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,718 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 7, 18 7:26 AM
If you always want to get the start level dialog:

-Click on the Map button and not the big Play or Bonus Quests button in the main screen. Otherwise, it's possible for the game to skip the start level popup part and simply put you straight into the next level. This isn't a big deal if you aren't playing in timed, but is rather disconcerting in timed mode as the timer immediately begins running too when you get thrown straight into the next level without warning!

I'd noticed this happening in the JM solitaire games after I'd exited the game and then resumed later from the main play button in the opening screen so it seems to have something to do with the map layout now being used.

skpjazz
Herring
Herring
392 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Feb 7, 18 11:55 AM
SynthpopAddict wrote:Weird discoveries: You can't use the hammer on a ladybug. Guess they didn't want players to squish any insects!

I used to be a birdwatcher and can't help but laugh at how the seagulls' legs are done in the game. That's a lot of drag!

Just to let you know....I squished a ladybug with the 1st hammer LOL! I wouldn't have even thought of trying it unless you mentioned it! BTW, why were you trying to zap the little ladybug with the hammer in the first place?

Also, I paid attention to the seagull's legs in one of the scenes. In the scene I was looking at, there was also a dog. I think that was a first (as far as a dog)? I'd love to see more of that in future scenes (hint, hint).

Edited on 02/07/2018 at 12:16:25 PM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,718 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 8, 18 6:57 AM
That's interesting - maybe it was that glitch I trigger every so often in every JM when I'm playing too frantically and the hammer just "misses" altogether and ends back up on the right. I've noticed that happens if I try to hit a space where the tiles are still filling in or maybe a cascade is going on there, or else I just plain misclicked outside the game board. LOL it must have been a pesky ladybug holding up a match or else I was trying out a new way to be mean to bugs since I've been finding I can't be anywhere as mean to the butterflies here as in JMR1! (Why I don't think hitting butterflies with the arrows is mean I'll never know.)

The dog appears in one of the castles in JMR1 too - it's the same dog.

Edited on 02/08/2018 at 7:09:23 AM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,718 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 9, 18 7:31 AM
"Not enough emeralds":

-When I completed the first map I didn't have enough emeralds to unlock every bonus game in the regular bonus games area, but continuing on through the second map and playing the crystal rooms as I went along did give me enough emeralds to unlock all the bonus content including the CE extra bonus games.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,718 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 10, 18 6:08 PM
CE bonus jigsaw puzzles:

-Each portrait is 2 puzzles in one scene. You first have to assemble the background by putting all the cutouts into the right place, then a second set of jigsaw pieces will appear which are the pieces for the portrait that will go on top of the background image.

-Make sure you wait until the end level dialog has appeared so you'll get credited for winning. I made the mistake with the first picture of exiting the board before it had finished doing its thing and then when I went back to replay there was a puzzle piece missing from the image. Closing the game and reopening it did fix the problem.

-The first time you win a jigsaw puzzle you get 1500 coins but replays net you only 200 coins.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,718 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 11, 18 10:42 AM
There is such a thing as being too efficient? ( )

-I started over on advanced limited moves, and have so far been finding out that it's hard to collect enough pieces (not amulets!) to buy castle parts which has been a real surprise to me. In previous games in the series it was a common occurrence to have the jewel chest completely full all the time but I haven't seen this happen to me much at all in this game, not even while frantically matching in advanced timed and not really paying attention to how many matches I was making!

-If you don't have enough pieces to buy all the castle parts, the game will auto-advance you to the next scene when you reach a checkpoint, but I was hoping to build the castle completely (again) in my second profile.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,718 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 12, 18 9:44 AM
Weird discoveries part 2: When you've finished everything in the regular rooms and the bonus garden room, the large directional arrow that tells you which direction you should scroll in next isn't aimed correctly. It wants to take you back to a regular room as it doesn't recognize the bonus crystal room at all. You are better off opening up the map inset to see what you have left and if there are coin bags in the crystal room, should you be trying for perfect.

Shutting off the music does fix the random brief pausing issue whenever the music changes between tracks, but then you get to listen to the Rubber Band Philharmonic while making matches over the ambient effects LOL!

skpjazz
Herring
Herring
392 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Feb 12, 18 11:52 AM
SynthpopAddict: Since you didn't focus on the crystal rooms in the beta, you may not be aware of the changes in this version. The scrolling arrow wasn't even moving (or highlighted) in the beta that would lead you to the crystal room. When I suggested in the beta that maybe a popup would be good to let you know you can go to the crystal room, I was informed that it was intentional (I think) to not lead you there. I noticed though, at least in this version, it was changed to a highlighted arrow, although I don't know why you're led astray by the arrow pointing in the direction of the other rooms. So, I just always remember that the crystal room will either be down below or occasionally off to the right (or NOT in the direction of the other arrow LOL).

As far as the advanced limited moves mode (which I have been playing), I did notice that I wasn't collecting a lot of pieces, but I never had a problem with not having enough to complete each of the castles - so....unless you're OVERLY efficient, you shouldn't have to worry. I never had to buy the largest jewel chest, so I could upgrade my hammer faster! (Although, I don't think you really need anything larger than the 2nd chest anyway -- on limited moves mode.)

Edited on 02/12/2018 at 7:40:22 PM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,718 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 13, 18 8:09 AM
It must just be me...I'm somewhere around level 65 in advanced limited moves and so far have never been able to fully build any of the castles! I have not even bought any jewel chest upgrades as the default one has never gotten full on me. It's weird to see what looks to me a lot of amulets all the time but hardly have any pieces to buy anything...I'm wondering if the game is going to scold me at the end if I don't finish all the castles LOL.

Go to: