Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for The Mysterious Past of Gregory Phoenix

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jun 17, 10 12:52 PM
I don`t like the game very much, but I think some fishies will like it. Happy gaming!

annatar
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
425 Posts

[Post New]by annatar on Jun 17, 10 1:38 PM
I can't even get to try it! When It finished downloading, it went straight to the "Trial Expired" status. This computer is just two weeks old and I've never seen this game before. Why does this happen?

Edited on 06/17/2010 at 1:39:12 PM PST

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jun 17, 10 1:40 PM
I actually like the game but I am, sadly, not buying. I like the game play but the two characters popping up and down like Gophers or Prairie Dogs or Meercats just made me naseous. The same goes for that scene in the plane. I used all the Hints just to get out of there. It made me seasick. I can only imagine that there are more sickening actions in the game and I doubt that the people are going to stop popping up. Too bad, I kind of liked this one.

troia45
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by troia45 on Jun 17, 10 1:47 PM
I sort of liked this one, a little easy but good for
a change. The lights did not bother me or the movement.
I perfer light to darkness anyday. As for replay value,
when I went back into put my name in user the objects did
change the second time around. I give it a 3 out of 5 because
of the different format. A maybe for me.....

Gaherian
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by Gaherian on Jun 17, 10 1:56 PM
I enjoyed this game, played about a third of it in the one hour trial. The music isn't too intrusive, specially if the volume is low ... it reminds me of music from a Cirque de Soleil performance. The puzzles were not the "usual ones", and not having any instructions wasn't too great a hindrance. I didn't experience too much difficulty in finding the hidden objects, but almost all game companies could use the services of someone with experience in the classification of items ... "diving hat"?. I used to do this kind of work in the dot com boom, so I find it particularly annoying to come across items wrongly named.

I do agree that the "light tunnel" effect was not enjoyable ... I just lowered my eyes to my desk when I knew it was coming. I think that devs of all games need to accept that a lot of casual game players are of the "grey gamer" variety, and that such effects can very quickly turn us off a game.

One thing I did NOT like, was that the game grabbed my real first name from my system. I do not use my real name for any game sites, so I consider this a breach of my privacy, and wonder what other information they stole without my knowledge or permission.

All in all, try the demo, and make up your own mind about the game.

Edited on 06/17/2010 at 1:58:50 PM PST

KathyGriggs
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by KathyGriggs on Jun 17, 10 2:08 PM
Tried it, bought it, played it, loved it! It's a different type of game. I had no problem with the lights or characters; and for those of you that did, you would NOT have liked the snow scene or the rain scene! The airplane scene was tedious, but thankfully, I am not prone to motion sickness......there are actually two airplane scenes.

Anyhow, I give this for the fact that is was entertaining in that it made you think. The puzzles weren't hard which counts a lot to me. I would advise anyone who is prone to migraines or motion sickness to think twice before purchasing this one!

Happy gaming fishies!!!!

DO NOT PLAY IF U R SIEZURE PRONE!

[Post New]by militarymommy on Jun 17, 10 2:46 PM
I played for about 15 mins and had to get out - FAST! I have siezures and this game brought one on, as I did not get out quick enough. Lighting blinks on and off, in between scenes a tunnel comes at you, the screnes bob back and forth. Really disturbing, even if I did not have a siezure disorder!
This one needs to have that explicit seizure warning on it.
All in all, I thought the graphics were home made looking, the game overall was a bit childish, and the scenes fuzzy. Not for fishies who don't have good eyesight, either.
So, definately not a buy for me but maybe some other fishies will like it.

Edited on 06/17/2010 at 2:47:43 PM PST

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Jun 17, 10 5:37 PM
The Mysterious Past of Gregory Phoenix

Now that is a cryin' shame. I wanted to like this game... I expected to like this game! I was having technical difficulties (I have a feeling that those with older operating systems won't be able to run this game), but I still hoped I would like it.

The 2 main characters are really strange looking. Mousy, nervous... I can't quite put my finger on it, but definitely strange.

I'm used to having a box on the side of the screen (or one at the bottom) that tells you what items need to be collected on any given hidden object scene. This game tried something new - a round, compass-like object in the bottom right corner. It could have been OK, but this thing was huge - it seemed to take up about 1/6 of the screen. Also, the way the item names were scattered around in there made it look very messy. Perhaps it was the font they chose, I'm not sure.

The items in the first scene were pretty easy to find. After all, the name of the item would appear when you did a mouse-over! >_< Still, I stuck with it, hoping it would improve. It did, a bit. The names of the items stopped popping up, which was nice.

I made it through the third screen, still hopeful. Then I hit the airplane. What in the world were the developers thinking?? The entire scene is rocking back and forth, with bright lights flickering outside the cockpit as a further distraction. Not just slow rocking, a constant rocking that kept my eyes from being able to focus. I do not get motion sickness, I can play 360-degree games OK. This game, not so. I literally started feeling ill, and my eyes hurt from the strain of trying to focus them.

This game is worth trying, at least, but it's not for me.

Edited on 06/17/2010 at 5:40:09 PM PST

[Post New]by stankerbell on Jun 17, 10 7:30 PM
I played the demo and got pretty far in an hour and so it was a little too easy. I wasn't bothered by the lack of instructions for the mini puzzles, they were standard puzzles and easy to figure out.

What I really didn't like was that there seemed to be no way of getting back to the rune map unless you completed the scene you were on, also there's no indication that you have to play the different areas of the map in a particular order but you do. I got to the Italian street and I had no crow bar in my inventory to open the manhole cover, this is when I found out that you couldn't go back to the map to select another location to obtain the crow bar.

Won't be purchasing.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jun 17, 10 8:24 PM
I really liked this game. No, it may not be up there with MIdnight Mysteries, etc., but it is still a very enjoyable game. I usually have problems with motion in games, even when others do not, and I had absolutely no problems with this game. I also didn't see any bright lights. Maybe my screen is set differently.

I thought the hidden objects scenes were good. A nice balance between easy and difficult items. The only problem I saw was the fact that they asked for a test tube when in fact they wanted a beaker. The minigames were good and different. You can refresh hints by finding batteries in the game of which there is at least one in every scene. Music was good as well.

In my hour I got into chapter five. According to the number of chapters on the walkthrough, I was over halfway through, although I still had 20 keys to play. I was disappointed when my demo ended so I will be purchasing it. Thanks BF!

Edited on 06/17/2010 at 8:25:42 PM PST

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Jun 17, 10 8:39 PM
I scanned all the reviews, but sometimes you just gotta try it, even if all the warning signs like bright lights, headaches, and seasickness are right there. Without all the popping up characters, lame chitchat, swirling bright lights, and an airplane that just would not be still, I might have been more interested in the game. There were some positives that made me at least play most of the demo, but I couldn't wait to bail out of that plane. The heck with a parachute.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Jun 17, 10 10:01 PM
I didn't care much for this game at all. It really didn't make sense to me and while the flashing lights didn't give me a headache they were irritating and the puzzle where you're supposed to light up what a appears to be the number 8, I didn't understand. Since I saw no skip option for that puzzle, I decided I had had enough and I un-installed the game. Not for me!

sct1968
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by sct1968 on Jun 18, 10 12:41 AM
i played 7 minutes and this game gave me a headache. who thought of the whole extra bright annoying light to go along with the crappy everything else? i wouldn't take this game for free!

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jun 18, 10 11:40 AM
ok... didn't read a lot of the reviews already posted, but it looks like we're mostly in agreement of where this game needs to go - back to the drawing board!

the high-tech, robotic opening was not in theme with the game at all, which was very "lotek" all the way... the artwork was simple, rough, and not eye-catching at all... this made for fuzzy graphics in a lot of places and intense headaches in others... the music got very annoying very fast, and as it seemed to be repetitive, i had to turn it off! it also seemed to me that there was a lot of flash and a lot of dialogue and not a lot of game...in addition to the lights and swirling runes between scenes, one is subjected to a lens opening and closing and the popping up of crudely drawn characters to make needless conversation...

the pathway through the game is easy enough... you search for items to gain "rune" keys to place on a map so you can go to new places to search for things and get more rune keys! also, you can only place rune keys on the map at certain intervals in the game, rather than as you collect them... you carry items in inventory until you have need of them... to choose an item, left-click; if you chose the wrong one you can right click to discard it and it goes back into your inventory for later use... hints are easy to fill using the "fuses" lying around, but hints can't be chosen as in some games where you say you need a hint, and the game asks which item... when you use a hint, a crosshair scope comes across the screen and settles in the area of what you are looking for... the cursor simply does the swirly dance across the screen if you have one too many misclicks... unfortunately some items are not labeled correctly or a scene may have more than option for an entry, so misclicks may be more common than you think!

personally, i don't like this game for the discomfort it affords many players [including me ] but if you are having fun and are unaffected by these things... good luck

Pleiadestar
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by Pleiadestar on Jun 18, 10 9:20 PM
This is the worst junk pile game I have ever had the misfortune to play. The background music is terrible. The items are nearly impossible to find without running thru the hints. I made it as far as the "First Airplane Ride", used my barf bag and gave up.

Cmon guys, the last few HOGS have been terrible...whatever happened to quality games?

opiesmom
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by opiesmom on Jun 19, 10 1:01 PM
Wow, thought at first it was me this week since I've hated most of the new games but I see that the rest of the pond is mostly in agreement with me. Hated the popping up, Hate the ridiculous, pointless slow loading start up screens that waste the first 5 minutes or so (ok, its less but it feel like 5 minutes) of game play and the fuzzy graphics were the clincher.

Sorry, this one is definitely not for me.

AgnesKite
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by AgnesKite on Jun 19, 10 1:40 PM
Well, I seem to agree with most of you--this game just isn't that good.

Aside from the horribly long loading time for every scene (although that could be attributed to my old clunker computer), the painfully bright time machine effects, the cluttered item list (which made it difficult to tell which words were part of which items sometimes), and the the almost creepy-looking characters (who have an odd affinity for the phrase "Good God!"), I found the concept to be interesting, but the execution to be rather half-hearted.

The character animations and design were simply juvenile compared to the level of rendering of the actual scenes. There was a disturbing lack of instructions for the mini-game type puzzles (which, oddly, doesn't seem to make much difference, as the puzzles aren't that hard), though the hidden object scenes seemed to have more than enough direction. The music was actually not bad, if a bit repetitive, and I did like the idea of the map function, although the locations traveled to in the game not only have no relation to their physical positions on the map (I'm pretty sure that China and South America are not at the same latitude) but don't even remotely accurately portray the locations in real life.

Somehow I made it through 50 minutes of this game trial. I contemplated playing the other 10 minutes when I got home from work, but couldn't quite bring myself to do so. I'm getting rather tired of not having any good new games to play...

rolldedice
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by rolldedice on Jun 20, 10 11:16 AM
yuck-who hit the characters with the ugly stick!!!no relay value if you can stand playing it the first time thru-no thanks-no sale here

[Post New]by overthehill60 on Jun 22, 10 3:10 AM
I do honestly demo a game (if one is available) before forming an opinion but this game became the exception to the rule for me. I didn't enjoy The Mysterious Past of Gregory Phoenix at all. I thought that from the title it would be story I'd enjoy buy after about 20 minutes I didn't care what Gregory's past was, mysterious or otherwise. This is of course my personal opinion and I realize that there are lots of players who will enjoy this game. I suggest you demo the game before you form your own decision about this game but for me it's a definate no buy.
To all of you, have a great day and happy gaming.

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Jun 22, 10 3:50 PM
I don't think I've played many worse games than this one! The graphics were dreadful, the music was sooo repetitive and the objects were huge and not well hidden.
I deleted after 10 minutes.

Go to: