Re:Another "dark" game *sigh*

[Post New]by alvertis5706 on Jun 19, 10 3:33 AM
I also say 'yay' to the nasty dark ones, preferably with all the snakes and toads you can find (or not find).
Has anyone mentioned umbrellas ?????? closed umbrellas, open umbrellas, japanese umbrellas.........etc etc etc.

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Jun 19, 10 4:01 AM
Nothing dark about magic mushrooms...... Dude....

As for "dark" themed games-- these seem to be the most popular. They tend to dominate the top sellers list. People like them-- people play them.

Indeed, there are lots of other types HOGS issued-- most of these just seem to be a flash in the pan-- people complain that they are bored or that the game is for children, the game quickly disappears into the larger ocean of other mediocre games. Even good games are ignored-- The Bella Italia Dream Day Wedding for example is outstanding, but its issue here was met on this site with barely a squeak. BF gives people the sorts of games that generate enthusiasm as well as sales. The top sellars list is what controls the types of games that are issued.

Also, I think that Murder She Wrote was extremely creepy and dark.... You mean to tell me that this friendly middle aged woman just happens to cheerfully stumble accross dead bodies on a weekly basis and no one gets suspicious ??? Come on! How many dead bodies have you "just so happened to" stumble upon??.. It is funny that games about imaginary violence such as vampires and witches are considered too dark while games about potential violence, i.e. murder, are given as alternatives. For me it seems like it should be the other way around.

-Kala

P.S. Snakes and toads are not evil or dark-- they are just simply interested in being snakes and toads. They want to have enough to eat, not get eaten, etc.... Indeed, toads are kind of happy-- They sit around all day eating flies-- sort of like my last boyfriend.

P.S. If you like Princess Isabella-- Love spell might be a good game to try....

Edited on 06/19/2010 at 4:45:10 AM PST

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Jun 19, 10 4:41 AM
moonlightgrey wrote:Crowbars. You forgot crowbars

And hour glass & rubber ducky !!!

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Jun 19, 10 4:50 AM
All joking aside-- If you want a nice fun HOG that is not dark-- I recommend Nancy Drew Dossier-- Resorting to Danger. To the best of my knowledge-no one ever dies in the Nancy Drew Games. Also, the puzzles are quite good.

Edited on 06/19/2010 at 4:51:09 AM PST

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Jun 19, 10 4:57 AM
and a club,(golf or card?) Which is what got me hook on my first HOGS-MCF or the Mystery PI-anything with words like Mystery or Hidden anything in title

another good one that is not "dark" CAN YOU SEE? or Age of Oracles--then you run into Egytian themes or earthquakes or lost explorers--How about the Garage sale one? LOL

But back to subject...anyone play THIS game yet?

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jun 19, 10 5:12 AM
Has anyone mentioned umbrellas ?????? closed umbrellas, open umbrellas, japanese umbrellas.........etc etc etc.

you forgot the main challenge, little paper umbrellas in tropical drinks

Oh, this isn't the review/comments thread for those who played it or the demo. This subject is dark game "sighs" so we can sigh here. I guess it got OT sighing over both dark and light games. Either way, it is more fun than playing them IMO.

Edited on 06/19/2010 at 5:14:57 AM PST

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Jun 19, 10 5:18 AM
People may classify Age of Oracles into this "dark" category because of the Tarot Card them-- despite the fact that tarot cards are not occult items in any sense of the word.

tizza
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by tizza on Jun 19, 10 5:18 AM
...and the hot dog, the club, the spade, the heart or the whole deck of cards, the feather and the multiple numbers of bolts!

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jun 19, 10 5:22 AM
If you don't like looking for bolts, candles, spades and other various tools you may not like this game.

It is a bit repetitve in parts with the search but having to search different rooms mixes it up

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jun 19, 10 5:27 AM
OOH, y'all forgot irons...it really gets me, especially with the Egyption type games or the explorer types...you have all these interesting items lying about and they want you to find an iron, as well as all the ones mentioned above. Or you are supposed to be packing and you still have to find the silly, useless to the game items. But I do love my hogs, and dark and mysterious, or light and airy with a bit of humor, or a true gem that is both mysterious and humerous...I get them all. So off to play at least an hour of this one before bedtime. One more twelve and then I am going to finish all of these that I have started, lol.

[Post New]by Coronagold on Jun 19, 10 5:28 AM
Talking about HOG items, how about earring, fleur de lis, hair comb, pin, cuff link, tweezers, 20 pieces of a note, molecule, atom, electron, dignity. And they're all 99% translucent and a few miles in the distance averaging about 700 meters in length.

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Jun 19, 10 5:33 AM
Capthowdy64 wrote:I think you have a point.There has been a glut of darker themed games.The thing is,I haven really seen an upbeat themed game since I've been coming here.Princess Isabella is the only one that comes to mind.And it was a little too kiddy for me.Being totally sincere,are there any non-dark HOG out the\re?

Here's a list of the non-dark ones I've demoed so far. I don't know how "upbeat" some of them are, but they didn't strike me as particularly "dark" as far as atmosphere and graphics go:

The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe
Robinson Crusoe and the Cursed Pirates
Awakening: the Dreamless Castle
Azada: Ancient Magic
Love Chronicles: the Spell
1 Penguin 100 Cases
Age of Oracles: Tara's Journey
Christmasville
Dream Chronicle series
Enlightenus
Elementals: The Magic Key
Autumn's Treasures: The Jade Coin
Curse of the Pharaoh series (The Quest for Nefertiti, Napoleon's Secret, The Tears of Sekhmet)
Agatha Christie series (4:50 from Paddington, Dead Man's Folly, Peril at End House, Death on the Nile)
Amazing Adventures: The Caribbean Secret
Detective Stories: Hollywood
Dominic Crane's Dreamscape Mystery
G.H.O.S.T. Chronicles: Phantom of the Renaissance Faire
Doors of the Mind: Inner Mysteries
1912: Titanic Mystery
Book of Legends
Cassandra's Journey series (Legacy of Nostradamus, The Fifth Sun)
Department 42: The Mystery of the Nine
Cate West series (The Vanishing Files, The Velvet Keys)
Dream Sleuth
The Otherside: Realm of Eons
Alabama Smith series (Escape from Pompeii, Quest of Fate)
Adventure Chronicles: The Search for Lost Treasure
Alexandra Fortune: Mystery of the Lunar Archipelago
3 Cards series (Midnight, Dead Time)
Dream Day Series Wedding: Bella Italia (I haven't demoed the others in this series)
Dr. Lynch: Grave Secrets
Mystic Diary: Lost Brother
Magic Encyclopedia series (I've only demoed the first)
The Mystery of the Crystal Portal (has a sequel; haven't demoed it)
Treasure Seekers series

Edited on 06/19/2010 at 5:50:57 AM PST

quynne77
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by quynne77 on Jun 19, 10 5:43 AM
Kalavinka wrote:........
P.S. Snakes and toads are not evil or dark-- they are just simply interested in being snakes and toads. They want to have enough to eat, not get eaten, etc.... Indeed, toads are kind of happy-- They sit around all day eating flies-- sort of like my last boyfriend............

Thanks for that laugh!!

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jun 19, 10 6:54 AM
brush... ok... was that a scrub brush? a hair brush? a paint brush? a calligraphy brush? a toothbrush?

as for *sigh*s over the dark... how about trying "The Mysterious Past of Gregory Phoenix" for a change? it's got ALL the bright lights and fun a gamer could want!

sorry... that's just the *darker* part of me...

lots of fun, guys!

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Jun 19, 10 7:26 AM
MCF MCF MCF MCF!!! (sorry sometimes the voices get to loud.... :whistle
Seriously though it looks like a good game and while my computer is frantically trying to download it fast enough for me,l thought I would check out the reviews. I love all the dark games and the light ones. But I find too much saccharin bad for me. The light ones are nice to look at but the storylines seem mostly bland...I preferred the Dark Parables game to the Awakening game. Even if I got the CE it was kinda short but at least the storyline was more interesting. But you gotta have variety. And I have both games anyway. Awakening was visually stunning.
But to round up my ramblings...LOVE the dark games....But I wish we could all have the types of games we enjoy though....I know when I go a day without a new dark game...start jonesing....

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Jun 19, 10 8:03 AM
OH TOOOOO MANY "SPIDERS"!!!

I HATE them UGH!! SCREAMMMMM when I see one

"SNAKES" too, of course they do not bother me! when i know they are not poison!

THANKS FOR THE LIST of games
and items to find
GREAT

PEN

cucumber89
Salmon
Salmon
2,807 Posts

[Post New]by cucumber89 on Jun 19, 10 8:44 AM
Love the dark themed games. Keep 'em coming!

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jun 19, 10 10:50 AM
I really enjoyed this game! It got better the further in I got, and took nigh on 6 hours to complete. I like dark games, the darker the better. This game had annoying sounds, but over all I'd give it a 4 out of 5.
Made a change from those games (and junk pile games) that only last a few hours, and I was sad to get to the end of it.
The creepier the game, the more likely I am to buy it.
I hope there's a forthcoming sequel................:-)

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Jun 19, 10 12:35 PM
YES to more dark, scary games with lots of fantasy and occult elements!

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Jun 19, 10 12:39 PM
Love them too! They are so much fun to play. Granted I don't like spiders or snakes and I'm not in any occult, but they really add to the thrill of gaming.

Edited on 06/19/2010 at 12:41:10 PM PST

Go to: