penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Blood Oath

[Post New]by penrose47 on Jun 19, 10 7:56 AM
THANKS ALL FISHIES

I am going to demo, if its good I have a coupon to spend.

I always use the coupon on these type of games...OR the DD

B BK L
with M.Opine

PEN

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on Jun 19, 10 8:05 AM
I just finished my hour trial and I found this to be a very intriguing, busy game.
The hints filled up in about a minute until you earn quicker time help. The story is right in line with today's type of intrigue and guile! I think the developers did a great job! I was able to open 4 or 5 areas in my hour. It has a map. It has a log book for information about the history of items. It has a mini-game board. Which I found to be a novel approach to earning extra help. I did not feel pushed for time so I don't believe there is one. The items were pretty clear. Some are small. They use a silhouette to identify the item and words also. I found the game easy to follow even though it has you in different locations quite often. I did not find too much gore at all! When you do find the items you need the game groups them together to solve an area. The areas have been highlighted to solve. I did use hint often just to get used to things. One nice thing about their hint is it does not fade. You can actually look for the item until you find it! Nice touch!
I'm going to give this game a Nana's !! I think you fishies will like it! Try it!

lentenrose
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

[Post New]by lentenrose on Jun 19, 10 8:15 AM
I did not have high hopes for this game but always try HOGs. Vampires have been done to death, hidden objects are too often dark and while I have not seen anything to prove it, I’ll bet the bossy vampire is a bad guy.
HOWEVER-as I played I began to like chasing around the mansion finding this that and the other to fix something or the other. I’ve gotten curious about what will get me promoted to be able to go to the blocked places and, of course how will I find out that the bossy vampire is the bad guy.
Not a brain buster, but fun. I’ll buy it.

Edited on 06/19/2010 at 8:16:10 AM PST

lexi4
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by lexi4 on Jun 19, 10 8:17 AM
I quit after 30 minutes of game play. Not near the caliber of Puppet or Flux family. I can't quite put my finger on why I don't like it. But not a buy for me.

GloomySunday
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by GloomySunday on Jun 19, 10 8:18 AM
The story was not for me. I don't care much for Vampire stories, but then that's my personal taste. Still, I also found the story a bit tacky occasionally and just couldn't get into it.

But I liked the graphics, I thought most of the scenes were very nicely done. Another good thing about this game: all items that have to be found fit with the theme and bring the story forward. At first, I thought the tasks were too easy, but complexity rose throughout the game, so that was good. Antoher good thing: the hint system also tells you where you have to go instead of just saying "all done here, go somewhere else" (or not giving any hint if there is no item to be found in that location).

I also liked the different powers that had to be earned and that opened up new locations. The minigame was quite entertaining as well.

So, throughout the demo, my favourable impression grew. But then, with more locations and more items - the running back and forth started. And it became tedious! I even just clicked the hint to find out which room I had to got to next because I got so bored with just going from room to room to room to room. But even if you know where you have to go to - it can be a loooong way. There even is a map available (which was good and helpful), so why isn't there a feature allowing me to click on the room I want to go to? I think I would have bought the game if it wasn't for all this running back and forth. But as it is now, it takes too much of the fun out.

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on Jun 19, 10 8:21 AM
General recommendation: Try before you buy. This will be a no go for many.

The description made this look to be an interesting game but there were just too many elements that I don't like in it. I played the demo for 23 minutes before I finally bagged it.

The biggest complaint which I'm sure many will share is how dark the game is. Admittedly it is about vampires but it was very difficult for me to see any of the objects. Secondly is many of the objects are small which is bad enough, but the game is also very picky about where you click which was very annoying. Even when using a hint I had trouble seeing the object and was just randomly clicking in many cases. This brings up the clicking penalty which blacked out the screen. The timer was extremely slow and while you can get powerups to shorten it, it just seemed excessively long. It was refillable fortunately.

The sounds are another issue. In the first couple of rooms you had repeated small arms fire going off which got irritating and distracting. I'm sure the intended effect was to add some urgency since the first character you meet tells you to move quickly but it wasn't helping me to enjoy the game. There was spooky music which went into the feeling of the game and I did like that part.

There's a storyline but it's much shorter than most games from what I could tell so players who aren't into reading a lot will appreciate this. I've stated before that I'm strongly into story so this was a negative point for me.

One thing that bothered me was the attitudes of the characters. Kali looked disgusted to be in the same room with you and Tristan openly insults you. This is a real sore point with me. I want the game to welcome me, not to belittle me. Sure it's a game, but I really don't like rudeness. In real life I won't play games with people who are insulting so I sure won't tolerate it from a computer.

All in all, this will be a game you either love or hate.

thecatspjs
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by thecatspjs on Jun 19, 10 8:55 AM
I agree that vampires have been done and redone, so often that there is too much predictability. I don't mind darker games, but vampires have started to bore me. I also don't like shadow HOGS or HOGS where you find items in pieces. I am a big HOG fan, just like to search for whole items that are named. Judging by what I've read about this game so far, I may not waste my time doing the demo.

Yarnalee
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by Yarnalee on Jun 19, 10 9:06 AM
Ugh! Vampires? If I'm going to play a game involving vampires I want to kill them, not be one of them. Pass.

redrosesdz
Catfish
Catfish
1,691 Posts

[Post New]by redrosesdz on Jun 19, 10 9:07 AM
I think the demo is worth trying, after all it doesn't cost anything to give it a try. However, I'm not sold on this game.

Pros:
- game play was different than most IHOGS
- game gets progressively harder as you go
- new way to increase hint load time, speed, etc. was good

Cons:
- running from room to room without a way to get quickly to a room you've already been to became tedious
- some items are really, really small and hidden in areas that are very dark
- game time seems to be short (I almost made it to the 3rd out of 4 chapters in an hour)

Tedious running around plus short game play and most likely not replayable equals a no buy from me.

romany09
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by romany09 on Jun 19, 10 9:12 AM
I like the game! It's like my dreams where I'm wandering from room to room looking for something Lots to do with multiple objects. The music is the only negative. Try it for the entire hour before making a decision not to buy. Ok, been wandering around since this morning...back to my wandering!

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Jun 19, 10 9:13 AM
This game won't be for everyone but I liked it more than I expected. It was engaging and I liked the story. I really liked having the names of the objects you need to find below the object outlines. This is a buy for me.

Rinkatplay
Minnow
Minnow
295 Posts

[Post New]by Rinkatplay on Jun 19, 10 9:13 AM
I found the game in my hour of free trial was different then normal kind of game I play. I kind of liked it though. I do not mind looking around and going from place to place because it makes you think a little. I do not like the games where it is constantly telling you to go here and no where else. I got through the first chapter and just into the 2nd chapter of my trial. So I am kind of curious how long it would take to get thru game. I do like length to my games. This game is on my buy list.

MzShel
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by MzShel on Jun 19, 10 9:16 AM
spiritdog51 wrote:Holy Moly, overwhelmed from running from room to room to room and back again, way to much chasing of items. One piece in the den, another elsewhere, another elsewhere. Glad my hour is up.

I couldn't agree more. I spent way too much time going from room to room and then another room just to get to the destination I needed to get to. And then back through all those rooms just to get the pieces back to where they needed to go.
While I found myself wanting to know how the story ends, I just am not willing to spend all that time running from room to room to continue after the hour demo.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Jun 19, 10 9:58 AM
I played the demo & was intrigued enough to purchase the game. I really enjoyed it despite the vampire theme. That's getting a bit old in my opinion. I like the fact that you can choose two differnt paths. I will need to go back and replay to see the different ending for the other choice. I am getting tired of games that have ambiguous endings. I didn't pay attention to the music, so cannot comment on it.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Jun 19, 10 10:05 AM
Played 40 mins of demo. Really enjoying it, a bit different. I saw it was classed as an adventure so I knew it would involve moving from place to place. I like that as it makes me think. I only really enjoy playing games that make me think - got to keep the brain ticking over when you're as old as me!! He he! The only downside for me, was like others have said, I was disappointed not to bring all the elements together myself - the game does it for you. I really liked having to "up" my abilities. All in all, 4 out of 5 for me and kudos to makers for trying something different.

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Jun 19, 10 10:09 AM
Boy you fishies are making it harder and harder not to play. I loved it but was just going to wait til next month to purchase but it's getting harder and harder to resist
And for anyone out there interested in a delightfully creepy game....Like puppets and ravenhearst this is a really good one. Did anyone notice the creepy little scene in the greenhouse?...yikes....not since finding the coffin in ravenhearst have i just been freaked out....but I like creepy...which is why everytime halloween rolls around I sleep with the lights on....(never know who's out there!)

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jun 19, 10 10:17 AM
alsmith wrote:Debating whether to buy- or I was- but looking at pic 1 with the game description makes me worried about quality- surely the solder is actually a soldering iron? And the soldering iron looks more like a stick of solder. The pictures must be chosen to be representative of the game...........

No the soldering iron looked like a soldering iron ... or at least it looks like the sort that we use here in the UK, it has a cord attached so it can be plugged in. Solder is a strip of soft metal.

Hope this helps.

C

ETA

Correcting grammar.

Edited on 06/19/2010 at 11:11:06 AM PST

Lunarea
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by Lunarea on Jun 19, 10 10:47 AM
I have 7 minutes left on my trial and I'm still not sure about this game. I can't pinpoint anything that makes this game a no-buy, but I'm still hesitant to go out and buy it. I have a feeling that this would be a game I'd play the whole way through and still be left with a "I don't know" feeling.

Graphically, there's a mix between painted character portraits and more realistic-looking backgrounds. I don't usually care for this sort of graphical arrangement, but it didn't bother me in Blood Oath. Perhaps it's because the scenes were arranged in a way to try to convey the right atmosphere. The graphics were bright and clear, especially considering the theme. I noticed that the developers added small touches to make the graphics more interesting - the hint button replenishes through dripping blood. Some of it backfired, though. Seeing the mist animation was cool the first time around, but it got so old when you'd need to use it 2-3 times in a span of a minute.

The music sort of repetitive and annoying, but I kept it on just in case it did something for enhancing the atmosphere. I did like the miss-click chime and the gunfire at the very beginning made that section of the game feel dangerous.

The plot didn't grip me. Some of the abilities (like walking out in the sun) seemed sort of odd, but it's tough to say if it was a case of wanting lore unique to the game or a case of trying to appeal to an audience that doesn't care for dark games. I think the developers were trying for a touch of mystery, but I didn't really care much.

I don't know that this game would qualify as a HOG. Perhaps a fragmented HOG would be a better description, though most of the time you're looking for complete (though smaller) objects rather than just fragments. There is also a mini-game similar to dominoes where you try to make matches and gain bonuses like faster hint recharge, higher score or quicker special ability animations (that's the first one you'll want to get). You walk back and forth between the screens a lot. Toward the end of my trial, there was closer to 10 locations and it was very tedious to run between them all when looking for something. And let me tell you, it wasn't always obvious where that item is found. The developers added achievements, which were sort of cool, but I wondered what the point was.

I don't know that I'd recommend this game, but I do recommend that you play the trial first. It gets pretty repetitive, so it's not everyone's cup of tea.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jun 19, 10 11:09 AM
Well I don't care what anyone else says about this game

I LOVED IT AND HAVE HAD SEVERAL ENJOYABLE HOURS PLAYING IT.

With the sound off but that is normal for me anyway .

Yes there is a lot of "toing and froing" but I actually felt as though I had accomplished something when I became mist and got the ability to fly etc. It held my interest enough that I have now finished it, I only paused to make a few and cook dinner,
(yes my arm is screaming now lol but it was worth it.).

It made a nice change to play a game that did not have minigames after each hidden object scene.

C

qwerty4
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by qwerty4 on Jun 19, 10 12:39 PM
I am with cherbtoo. I thoroughly enjoyed this game even though it could have been improved with an interactive map and a better way of assembling the objects. It isn't much of a challenge, but it sure is a nice change from the "go-find-uncle-harry-in-the-jungle" IHOGS that I see so much.

Go to: