Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Another game I won't play!

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 18, 18 9:18 AM
Majestyx12 wrote:I like the traditional hidden object adventure games with relaxed puzzles. More hops than puzzle. Heavy sigh. Not-so-subtle-dis-connect. Just describe what we like as flat. So condescending, that I'm dismayed and not cool. So funny.

Let's just slap happy gaming on there.

alphafem
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

@ pennmom36

[Post New]by alphafem on Feb 18, 18 9:56 AM
Good morning, pennmom36! Good to see you!

The game I have played with the BEST HOP's has got to be "Haunted Manor: Queen of Death". 2011 They were creative, and a challenge, to be sure. The CE has 13 HOP's in the Bonus Chapter alone. The scenes repeat themselves (which I hate), but here it was no bother, as they were ALL interesting to look at, and items were added, and changed around. The mini-games were excellent throughout.

I, too, look for challenge first. There just doesn't seem to be any kind of consensus between those who don't care for mini-games...those that do...and how the "Challenge Level" should be rated FAIRLY. In the games I have beta tested, I have said as much. Maybe, if they took the "Challenge Level", broke it down into three sections: HOP challenge rating, Mini-game challenge rating, and Adventure challenge rating? That would give everyone a more detailed voice, AND give the devs a better understanding of what folks want. I'm at a loss. This is all I can come up with.

As always, I greatly appreciate the time you take with your reviews. The best!
Namaste.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Feb 18, 18 11:50 AM
@alphafem

First of all, welcome to the forums

Have you written any reviews on the main sales page? Hopefully you consider doing so if not, because you obviously pay attention to the details, and others could benefit from your findings.

I own all of the Haunted Manor games, and I love them! I love to be challenged but not frustrated...hate those games where one affects others. I enjoy HOP's too, but lately they have made them far too simple, I can usually click the correct objects without looking at the list. Personally, I would love to see a skip offered in the HOP's and perhaps an easy/hard option.

alphafem
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by alphafem on Feb 18, 18 12:17 PM
Look, I didn't mean to offend you by saying "flat". I own, have played and enjoyed most of the "Hidden Mystery" series. (as an example) And I just don't know what they are formally called. The correct term. To me, compared to the HOPA's, these are "flat".

And I don't know what a "relaxed puzzle" is.

Yes, I agree, that ALL mini-games should have a skip option. Plus, come with casual or hard option.

I meant "heavy sigh" as in...at long last...yes! A chance to discuss this issue. No disrespect intended. There IS a dis-connect between gamers, as the top of this thread shows...as in 'them', 'us', 'leave our games alone'.

The HOPA's are a combined thing. Okay. A given. They will probably remain so. The real question is, to ME, how to improve the rating system to represent ALL areas FAIRLY.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE a well done HOP....LOVE those! I also love mini-games. Adventure. A strong storyline, with lots of twists and turns. Mystery. Intrigue.

Any help you could give in these areas could only be of a badly needed value. Truly. There HAS to be a solution to present to the dev's. One that is viable, and will work.

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Feb 18, 18 2:56 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just swimming by really quickly to remind our players to keep the Forum Rules in mind when posting. In specific, this particular rule could be useful:

Treat others with respect. Harassing, attacking, threatening, provoking, calling unwanted attention to, name-calling, insulting, or bothering other users, moderators, or Big Fish employees on the forums will not be tolerated. Play nice.

We understand our players wanting to discuss their likes and dislikes for a game, and we encourage communication on such subjects as long as it remains respectful. Thank you, everyone, for your time and understanding. Have a wonderful day!

bfgArinelle

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

Another game I won't play!

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Feb 21, 18 7:09 AM
cheekyoops wrote:In the first hidden object scene, there is a puzzle with no skip option. I play hidden object games to look for hidden objects. I skip puzzles 100% of the time.

This is the thread you are responding to.

Edited on 02/21/2018 at 9:17:04 PM PST

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Mar 3, 18 4:22 PM
...and I'm one of the ones who feels that all of the adventure games have been too hog heavy. I barely buy games anymore because they are too simplistic and don't have any resemblance to the adventure games of old. Different strokes....

ETA, but agree there should be a skip option. I didn't notice any that didn't have that option, but I wasn't paying close attention to that.

Edited on 03/03/2018 at 4:24:42 PM PST

MoreOver
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by MoreOver on Mar 16, 18 1:14 PM
There are a few in the Review thread that agree with you as well. This is part of my post there:
"Just looked at my budget history and 4 yrs ago, my average monthly BG expenditure was $75+. It is now less than $40 and I predict that it will be less as developers have not listened to those of us who do not want our HO games overtaken with puzzles.

Lastly, I play games to relax, not tear my hair out trying to figure out some dang puzzle I didn't want to play in the first place."

And if I skip every puzzle, am I getting my money's worth since I'm only playing half a game???

There was a time when stories involved finding objects as the player went from scene to scene, building inventory along the way. There was a HOG scene from time to time but mostly we needed to scan the scene for what we needed to progress. There were a couple of puzzles but nothing of the hair-pulling nature. As an example, one of my favorite games is Forgotten Books: Enchanted Crown. Remember when we loved Azada? The Awakening series? All the Christmas Stories? Those were the good old days.

[Post New]by stargazer_51 on Mar 17, 18 6:01 PM
angelfish106 wrote:Speaking for myself, the more puzzles the better! Nothing more dull than one hidden object search after another. And if a jigsaw doesn't have a 'skip' option, it can't be that hard (unless it's 1000 pieces, which seems unlikely). I love the harder puzzles, which usually have a skip option anyway.

Surely the whole point of a puzzle is to challenge the player and make the game more entertaining. If you just want to search for hidden objects, there are plenty of those around; the Clutter series for example. For me those type of games are on a par with most Match-3 games; repetitive and a bit boring.

Give me a HOPA any day; basic HOS have become yesterdays news. Just my opinion of course; we aren't all the same and have different tastes in games

I love them too! The more puzzles the better. In fact, I'd love it if there were games with nothing but puzzles, although I understand the frustrations of the HOG lovers (married to one, lol).

Go to: