kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Ancient Adventures - Gift of Zeus

[Post New]by kdubs on Jun 22, 10 1:32 PM
I like the game. It is peaceful, pretty, and light. I found it a welcome relief from the recent dark ones, 3 of which I'm going to be buying before the end of the month . They're a lot of fun and more challenging for sure.
The interactive parts were relatively simple and hints accrued rapidly. I had 7 within about 45 minutes, needed none of them yet. Mini-games are skipable but it does seem to take longer than in other games. Or my imagination?
The graphics are cartoonish but extremely well done. Playing on laptop with XP Home SP3 and had no tech problems., although a couple of times it did take me unexpectedly back to the main menu. Like other posters noted, when you click play again, it does take you right back to where you were. Weird but not a roadblock for me. Music is a loop but I just turned it down halfway and then it was fine for me. Do enjoy the ambient sounds, like the frogs.
I think it must be of good length because there are 100 gems to find and there's just 2-3 per the screens so far (unless I missed a bunch of them). It's a buy for me. Enjoy!

zorrogumbo
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

[Post New]by zorrogumbo on Jun 22, 10 1:46 PM
Nothing new under the sun. Maybe appealing for newcomers.

BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by BossBrat on Jun 22, 10 2:41 PM
I played for about a minute and realized I had not set the option for my widescreen and clicked the menu button to do so. It didn't work. I clicked it a total of 10 times and it would not go to the main menu. Clicked esc and the menu button popped up and I clicked it yet again - still wouldn't go to the main menu. Actually ended up using the task manager to stop the game. That is more aggravation in 1 minute than ANY game is worth!

I am using W7, with the best graphics card available and a 1T harddrive.

What a waste of my time and computer space. BIG thumb's down! ARG

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jun 22, 10 2:57 PM
I made it through 30 minutes of my demo and finally had to stop. I think the game had a lot going for it, but there were so many minor technical errors I had, it wasn't worth wasting my time anymore.

In one scene, once I found the final object, I was sent to the main menu screen. Huh? I hadn't clicked anywhere else to send me there. In another scene, I clicked on the cup that was on the list. I clicked on the cup multiple times and in various parts. I even used a hint to tell me I had the right cup. Finally after clicking everywhere on the cup and being penalized for multiple clicking, it finally took. Once I got to the fourth or fifth screen, my hints stopped altogether. The hint button worked, but the pink glow that was supposed to be around the hidden object never materialized. It was for an object in white so I didn't need to do anything else to make it appear. This happened in the rest of the screens so I finally gave up. There were other minor errors, but I just can't remember them all now.

The storyline didn't really interest me and I thought the way the scenes were drawn made it difficult to find objects at first until you get used to it. The music became irritating very quickly so I had to mute it. I also thought it was irritating for the main character to yawn if I hadn't clicked on anything, for example while I was waiting for a hint to recharge. Oh, and I thought the hints took a little too long to recharge.

Overall, if the bugs were fixed, it might not be a bad game, but as it is, I won't be finishing the demo or purchasing it.

Edited on 06/22/2010 at 3:09:37 PM PST

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Jun 22, 10 3:20 PM
If you liked Samantha Swift, you will like this game. Graphics are beautiful, length seems great, and it is, for me, a delightful game. I am running Vista, have a 21 inch wide screen monitor, and as of yet had no technical difficulties

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jun 22, 10 4:54 PM
That's interesting about what annoyances different players find in games. I hadn't noticed the yawning character at all in my hour. Now I'll probably focus on her LOL. The scenes were so chock full of items I guess I focused there.

I like these games that make you look for same things, like the pink jewels, or in Wof Salem the clovers, keys or crowns in a Mystery PI. I always look for those first so I won't forget or leave the scene incomplete if I missed one. I get very OCD determined to unlock the bonus play. While I'm looking for pink jewels my eyes notice a lot of things I probably wouldn't see if looking for them. Then, if they are on the list when I'm ready, hopefully I'll know what some of them look like even if I forgot where. I'm always "I know I saw one of those somewhere...."

But distractions, nobody mentioned that blood drip drip dripping in Blood Oath this week, as far as I read comments. Bright red blood dripping in the lower corner demanding my attention while it recharged the hint, it was unnecessary movement and my brain could not get it out of view. Didn't think to cover it with a PostIt sticky like your yawner. But it was just pure gratuitous spook carp, none of that game was scary for me, all the those elements were just so obvious plants and distractions. I think this game has enough color and other substance for me to actually focus on the game instead of the little gimmick features they use trying to be original. Game is pretty straightforward and enough nice things to look at.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Jun 22, 10 7:00 PM
When you click this pouch to bring up the inventory you have, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get the items list back.

From the Strategy Guide/Blog Walkthrough General Tips:

You can open or close your inventory tray by clicking the Bag (C) in the lower right.

So click once on the bag to open the inventory tray. When you're done, click on the bag again and the inventory tray will close, returning you to the Find List.

As for the items you couldn't remember collecting--you probably collected them in a different location. Some of them, like the orange flowers you mention, aren't called out in any way on the Find List. They just go quietly into the Inventory Bag and you'll find them later when you need them.

In the Blog Walkthrough/Strategy Guide we marked all of these in the screenshots, but as long as you finish the Find List, you'll collect them as needed.

Good luck!
Robin

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jun 22, 10 7:38 PM
Thanks Robin, the mysteriously appearing orange flowers. I think I may have started the demo before the WT was posted so rushed to judgement.

One thing I did notice on a walkthrough tips somewhere, it said necklaces were just that, not with pendants. but on my objects the ones with what looked like pendants attached were correct for necklace. But like I say, sometimes my memory can't retain so much info prior to playing til once I get to where it matters. There is a lot to remember in this game, which is good, takes some thinking. I'm never so good on demos as the real game because I'm so aware of the timer I can go blank, or use many more hints and skips to see more of the scenes.

What I said about mythology, it's the characters used, not stories, although I may not be aware of a Greek myth about a pearl necklace with powers. Hermes is always an interesting mix of characters good/bad. Just not a game to take too seriously and split hairs, just entertainment.

MSG050110
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by MSG050110 on Jun 22, 10 8:21 PM
I REALLY ENJOYED THE GAME WITH ALL THE BRIGHT COLORS, IT IS DIFFERENT THAN SO MANY DARK SCENES. THE ONLY THING I DIDN'T LIKE WAS EVEN AT FULL SCREEN, IT WAS TOO SMALL TO PLAY.

nancehere
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by nancehere on Jun 22, 10 10:12 PM
Personally I only like to post reviews that give at least some pluses for a game, but I've found it's important when I'm selecting game to buy that I have the opportunity to see as many plus and minus reviews as possible. Thus, with a sigh I must say that I truly disliked this game and was disappointed. For me it's like a repeat of the Samantha Swift series and on a personal level I don't usually like a cartoon theme. In this game I found the scenes very cluttered and unappealing. On the plus side, I always enjoy looking for the extra bonus items like the jewels, etc. As someone has already stated, "same old, same old." This will not be a buy for me.

ambercat
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by ambercat on Jun 22, 10 10:26 PM
Ugh so glitchy. Booted back to the main menu several times. Now I'm stuck in a scene looking for a hidden object called a "sung". Um, what? Used a hint, no pink glowy circle. Used 2 more hints, same thing. What a pain in the ****.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jun 23, 10 12:05 AM
I wound up getting into the game and bought it...I turned the music down, ignore the yawning in the corner, and it appears as if this one is fairly long. Not quite as interactive as Sam Swift games but I like it.

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Jun 23, 10 4:31 AM
I didn't care for this one. I don't like cartoonish graphics and the gameplay was boring. No challenge and no exciting things to do.

It was OK to play as a demo or maybe as a discount game later on, but not worth a whole game credit IMHO.

paradoxno1
Flounder
Flounder
2,497 Posts

[Post New]by paradoxno1 on Jun 23, 10 4:49 AM
ambercat its a sling your looking for

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jun 23, 10 9:24 AM
Not wasting a credit on this. Some objects were too small to find for me and why on earth the developers thought having that girl yawning in the corner added anything to the gameplay is beyond me. I felt like she was bored because I was taking so long to find anything and eventually it just got irritating. Another day without a decent game but there's always tomorrow!

gilly85
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by gilly85 on Jun 23, 10 1:41 PM
- oh I was so looking forward to playing this game but it is a really heavy game. What I mean is, the cursor is HUGE and the game play and music are soooo slow.
Even when I changed from custom cursor in a bid to liven things up a bit I didn't get my system cursor - just a non decorated version of the custom one.

All that said I found the graphics lovely and the cartoon feel makes it enjoyable to look at but the music is the same all the way through and I found myself with my head in my hand nodding off - I didn't finish the hour

Although the game has no timer the graphic of the girl in the corner YAWNS every 30 seconds or so and it became very annoying after a while - I'm not easily irritated.
The puzzles are OK and the mini games are part of the seek and find element. It took me ages to work out how to get back to the list from the inventory - just click on the sack again and it closes.

Overall, a steady game although not as sharp as current HOGs it still has some things going for it. As for a buy for me???

ambercat
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by ambercat on Jun 23, 10 2:53 PM
OMG Paradoxno1 THANK YOU. I'll add dodgy font to my list of annoyances about this game. LOL.

If it wasn't for the glitches I'd think this was a relaxing little game.

gntpat
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by gntpat on Jun 23, 10 5:51 PM
The music was appropriate. The graphics were bright and easy to see. I will not purchase the game due to factors I cant stand in games: no moving around and hunting for objects in several locations (ie: Briar Rose, Salem Witch, Robinson Crusoe, ) Too many insignificant objects to find. My biggest complaint was the yawning of Athena in the lower L corner. I hid the face with a piece of paper, because the yawning was distracting.

lisam63
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by lisam63 on Jun 24, 10 1:14 PM
i keep my volume off.. so i didn't notice the girl yawning.but i saw mouth movement in the bottome of the screen.

i am enjoying this game.. bought before i even finished demo.. i think this is a nice relaxing game with brighter cartoon like graphics

not a particularily head thinking game but overall i think it is worth a try...but i must say i am not too far along to feel bored or anything. just one of those games that appeal to me instantly.
ty

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jun 24, 10 1:40 PM
mmemubon wrote:So much junks and boring game. May be to those who has plenty of time to kill. You said it for me !!

Go to: