puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

Re:Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air Collector's Edition

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jun 24, 10 2:30 AM
Shadowfax, looks like others missed your question. I'm not sure my answer is correct, but I'd think it best to uninstall it and start all over. The CE may have features early in the game that the SE doesn't, like morphing in Dire Grove (maybe why there wasn't a demo for that CE and others for awhile). My case was opposite, I played an hour demo for a $6.99 version then decided to get the CE with the SG included so I unstalled the first one and started the other with a different player name just to stay "clean". Best you ask CS that question, it's a good one and may be something that can cause tech glitches.

2easy
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by 2easy on Jun 24, 10 2:39 AM
not interested in these CE games!

Edited on 06/24/2010 at 2:39:50 AM PST

f1racing
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by f1racing on Jun 24, 10 2:42 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:I have a general question about CEs and Reg version games: If you download the CE to demo the game (like getting a sneak peak) but then want to wait to purchase the regular version game, do you have to uninstall the CE version and then download and install the regular version when you buy the regular version?? Does anybody know?

Shadowfax, some CE games will only allow a certain amount of the game to be downloaded for the trial versions, especially large file ones. To be sure, if/when you purchase the game, just hit download again.

As for the CE versions coming out the wazoo, I don't think BF has any control over that. It's the money hungry game whoseits that make them. For me, as hard as it is, as soon as my punch card is full, I wait for the following month to purchase.

[Post New]by chris122049 on Jun 24, 10 2:49 AM
I am on a limited budget because I'm disabled but I don't have a problem with Collector Editions. Normally I wait until the regular game comes out but with this game, I will splurge and get the CE. If I went to the local store, the games cost a minimum of $10 for not so good games and $20 for the ones that I get on here for only $6.99 so I think Big Fish is GREAT. Even some of the online sites are trying to charge $10 to $20 for downloads........... In my mind, these games are a real bargain! Especially for a quality one like the Dream Chronicles series. Heck, I looked at Siberia on another site and they wanted $10 for it and it's $6.99 here.

Now I'm off to play!!!!

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on Jun 24, 10 2:49 AM
WHEE!!! This is my favorite game series, and I'd been hoping there would be another chapter. Downloading as we speak, and I will certainly buy it!

LilyCat
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by LilyCat on Jun 24, 10 2:53 AM
Puzzledone - I agree with you about the price of games - some of them I'd willingly pay more for, and it seems mean to quibble about the price of the really great ones (some others most of us wouldn't have as a gift!)

But isn't it a question of economics? There's a marketing cost in putting games on disc, printing cover and notes, not to mention manual (though that's rare these days) and profits for distributors, retailers etc. Downloading a game entails little or nothing of these costs - so the developers and BFG get the entire sum, as far as I can see.

So, I would imagine that they would rather sell a large number of downloads at a relatively low price than a smaller number of boxed games at a much higher price.

The fact that some games obviously cost more to develop than others usually (not always) means they are better games and therefore sell more, hence the flat rate of $6.99 makes sense overall, besides being simpler to implement.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jun 24, 10 2:57 AM
Hey Govegril, if I bought a game with 30 hours gameplay it would surely be a money saver. It would take me a month to finish it and I wouldn't be buying any other games LOL. Like when I get into a Virtual Villagers one. IHOGS that take me 5-6 hours I get antsy, lose focus and am out shopping for something different. First time on Dire Grove over 10 hours on SE. But you know me, I've been collecting unfinished games with the sales, and that includes 3 CEs in 3 months. I've got to draw the line soon too, not buy and try to remember where I left off on so many. I just wish I could play this one whether CE or SE after drooling on the promos.

[Post New]by chris122049 on Jun 24, 10 3:33 AM
Wow! I just got my email from Playfirst saying it was released and checked their site out. They aren't offering a trial!!!!!!!!! Just to buy it for $19.99! That's why I love Big Fish! Here I was able to download the trial before I buy it. I wonder why Playfirst isn't offering the trial.

However, Playfirst did show screen shots and boy, are they gorgeous! I can't wait to play the game to get to the other sites they have created.

[Post New]by chris122049 on Jun 24, 10 3:35 AM
Dear Mods.........I hope I didn't make a mistake by using the name of the other site. I figured you own them, right? If not, I'm sorry!!!!!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jun 24, 10 3:48 AM
puzzledone wrote:Sorry stepping on any toes here. I am on an extremely small entertainment budget myself, Soc Sec and a small disability monthly. I don't pay for extended cable TV, movies, DVDs, even music CDs anymore. I try not to spend more than $30-35 a month for games. If I buy a CE, so far 3 I'm happy with if user friendly, I buy early in the month and fill in with some DDs or wait til sales to fill in a card. I don't buy credits in advance because I pay cash for the bargains. But that's just me and allows me to eat very well.

We all buy and play and expect for different reasons. I don't personally pay to play by the hour but the experience, like movies. Same price whether long or short generally. But then I wasn't an adventure gamer to start with so I'm not comparing those with casual download games.

Since I haven't experienced this game, just window shopping, I should not have even made my comments here as they are more for art appreciation and how little value is placed in the development. Not whether people can afford it or not. Let's let the players and reviewers have the space, I truly just meant to compliment the devs who IMO deserve it.

I'm usually one of those cranks that complain if someone posts in a review thread without actually reviewing the game but that was a pleasure to read.

I'm pretty excited about the game's release here, I had even signed up at the developer's site for notification when this was available (which I must have missed in my junk mail, damn it!) so this is definitely a buy for me. I feel fortunate that I'm not on a limited budget and can purchase CEs and I wish I could help out some of you in buying this one, the artwork alone is amazing. Someone said it's like stepping into a fairytale, and she was absolutely right. These are also challenging games and it usually takes me several days of game play to make it through one. All in all, I feel this is good value for my money.

lydiajmack
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by lydiajmack on Jun 24, 10 3:57 AM
I enjoy the CEs. I personally LOVE having the strategy guide right in the game and I like the extra stuff at the end. I always use a wall paper of the game for my background. I have been on lots of other sites and they charge way more for a game that BF, so I do not mind the 19.95 price tag. I am glad that BF changes it up once in a while.
Keep on keeping on BF.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Jun 24, 10 4:55 AM
Chexmixmonet wrote:How cold does heck get these days? Mmmmm, SO excited to FINALLY have this game out!!!!!!! It's DL now and I'm going to bed because I have to get up in a few hours to watch the New Zealand vs Paraguay game!

Funny !!! Heat index is going to be in the 100's , ..I demoed this game , & personally I didn't see the hoopla of a 20 $ game .. I love the series , I have them all , in fact theses are the games,, that got me hooked ,,,But , I won't be buying the CE version , not worth it ..You have to earn a CE , ..definition = Not every game that says it's a CE, is in the category of a CE , ..Not continuing this popular habit !!!

tedderpic
Flounder
Flounder
2,029 Posts

[Post New]by tedderpic on Jun 24, 10 5:21 AM
lydiajmack wrote:I enjoy the CEs. I personally LOVE having the strategy guide right in the game and I like the extra stuff at the end. I always use a wall paper of the game for my background. I have been on lots of other sites and they charge way more for a game that BF, so I do not mind the 19.95 price tag. I am glad that BF changes it up once in a while.
Keep on keeping on BF.

Ditto...But my Puppet show guide wont open ...so I hope this one does
Waiting for the DL to finish then I will find out

tarbarme
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by tarbarme on Jun 24, 10 5:50 AM
I could have saved money on this one. The graphics and sounds are great but the game is too short and the "Bonus" level is a joke. All u do in the bonus level is unscramble letters or do jigsaw puzzles to see some concept art and a boring picture at the end. The boring picture is supposed to be the sneak peak of the next book. Its only a house in the middle of a desert.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Jun 24, 10 5:50 AM
lydiajmack wrote:I enjoy the CEs. I personally LOVE having the strategy guide right in the game and I like the extra stuff at the end. I always use a wall paper of the game for my background. I have been on lots of other sites and they charge way more for a game that BF, so I do not mind the 19.95 price tag. I am glad that BF changes it up once in a while.
Keep on keeping on BF.

Right on. My feelings exactly. I am retired and on a budget but I can see where others arecoming from. My games from BigFish are the most relaxing thing for me. It breaks up the hum drum of each day. I love the CE's and have most of them. No TM's or build. Games such as Royal Envoy do not interest me. I love Big Fish. Thanks for some really great games.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Jun 24, 10 6:28 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:I have a general question about CEs and Reg version games: If you download the CE to demo the game (like getting a sneak peak) but then want to wait to purchase the regular version game, do you have to uninstall the CE version and then download and install the regular version when you buy the regular version?? Does anybody know?

Every time I've demoed a CE and then waited for the SE version, I have NOT uninstalled the CE first because they register in the Game Manager as 2 separate games. I can't check right now because I'm not home, but I'm fairly certain they install to 2 separate directories as well. I've never had problems doing it that way either.

HTH!

[Post New]by Classicaljazz on Jun 24, 10 7:43 AM
Woo-hoo!!! The next game in the Dream Chronicles series is here!!! I own all three of the previous ones in the series and love them. I found them to be high quality games in every sense of the term. I imagine this one will be just as excellent and unique.

As to the controversy about Collector's Editions that always seems to brew in the fishpond when a new one is released, I'd like to add my two cents. I haven't yet purchased any of the CE's that have been offered... and I agree with the many other fishies who say that they don't feel the wallpapers, screensavers, concept art, soundtracks, intigrated strategy guides, etc., are worth the extra price. However, if selling the CE's to those who are willing to buy them keeps the price of the other games at $6.99, I am happy BFG is doing it. I love their games and the great customer service reps!

And I'd like to add this note to the game developers: Many of the people who are unhappy with the cost of the Collector's Editions state that more generous extra game play time is what would make them more likely to invest in CE's. This being the case, why don't you release them with much more extra game play INSTEAD OF all the wallpapers, concept art, screensavers, soundtracks, etc.? I feel that your sales of CE's would skyrocket if you did this.

Classicaljazz

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jun 24, 10 7:56 AM
Just a question. Why doesn't Big Fish get games like " The Whispered World" or "Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island" just to mention 2- there are more. I would be much more willing to pay even $25 for a game that has 30 or 40 hrs of game play- more than paying $20 for a game that only has 4-6 hrs. game play and extras like wallpaper or a few extra hidden objects areas.

Lynnet67
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Lynnet67 on Jun 24, 10 8:44 AM
A definite buy for me, I love Dream Chronicles.....

Audreyfavre
Herring
Herring
385 Posts

[Post New]by Audreyfavre on Jun 24, 10 8:58 AM
"...And I'd like to add this note to the game developers: Many of the people who are unhappy with the cost of the Collector's Editions state that more generous extra game play time is what would make them more likely to invest in CE's. This being the case, why don't you release them with much more extra game play INSTEAD OF all the wallpapers, concept art, screensavers, soundtracks, etc.? I feel that your sales of CE's would skyrocket if you did this.

Classicaljazz "

Thank you, Classicaljazz! My sentiments exactly.
Audrey

Go to: