snowy weather

charlieisr
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,323 Posts

Re:snowy weather

[Post New]by charlieisr on Feb 28, 18 10:50 AM
WE NEVER HAD SNOW DAYS, WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL SOMEONE ASKED WHEN THEY WOULD CLOSE THE SCHOOL BECAUSE OF SNOW. THE REPLY WAS WHEN IT COMES TO THE VICE PRINCIPAL'S WAIST. HE WAS 6' 6". THE ONLY ONES EVER TO GO HOME BECAUSE OF SNOW WHERE THOSE OF US WHO WERE BUSED TO SCHOOL.

I LIVED 30 MILES FROM SCHOOL. AND 10 OF THAT WAS DIRT. WITH LITTLE OR NO TRAFFIC.

EVEN THEN WE WERE ONLY SENT HOME MAYBE THREE DAYS. WE WERE SENT HOME MORE OFTEN IN THE SPRING OR FALL BECAUSE OF DUST STORMS.

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Feb 28, 18 11:18 AM
It just snowed here in southern Arizona! All the mountains are covered down to the valley floor. At least to the south & east they are - north of Tucson I can't tell because of the clouds. It's still coming down to the east. But it's too sunny to last long. Polite snow indeed!

jack7242
Clownfish
Clownfish
721 Posts

[Post New]by jack7242 on Feb 28, 18 11:40 AM
Well it's still snowing here in Edinburgh and judging by the bright moon, very cold.

I kinda feel a bit guilty about evicting a fox from my garden shed at the weekend, but I suspect, judging by the paw prints in the snow he/she is back inside!

OK it can stay for the time being. Softie!

Edited on 02/28/2018 at 11:40:49 AM PST

Loopy_karen
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

[Post New]by Loopy_karen on Feb 28, 18 12:55 PM
Its still snowing here to I'm just outside Glasgow.
we are still on a red alert & are being told not to
drive till after 10 am tomorrow.
now this is what we in Scotland call snow! its a winter
wonderland here. The forecasters finally got it right for a change
oh and guess what theres not a sighn of a gritter!!!

playingthegame
Stingray
Stingray
4,895 Posts

[Post New]by playingthegame on Feb 28, 18 2:58 PM
Time for some Canadian Tales!!

"When I were a lad.....!"

Edited on 02/28/2018 at 2:59:31 PM PST

DoubleMsMom
Minnow
Minnow
216 Posts

[Post New]by DoubleMsMom on Feb 28, 18 5:03 PM
playingthegame wrote:Time for some Canadian Tales!!

Does your tale include walking to school in deep snow, up hill, both ways???

Keep stormin' the castle!

Edited on 02/28/2018 at 6:46:19 PM PST

Knim
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
411 Posts

[Post New]by Knim on Feb 28, 18 7:13 PM
I grew up in California, 70 degrees no weather only ever had a sweater no coat. When they changed the course of the LA river it did not work. Flooding for weeks. We walked through foot of water to school barefoot with our shoes, socks & towel in a bag. Got to school dried our feet put on shoes and socks no problem.
Love the season changes here. Of course I don't have to get out in it much.
TOAD/Otter/MOUSE

[Post New]by Elsaemerald on Mar 1, 18 10:26 AM
I do remember when I lived in the UK for a few years everything seemed to shut down with a few centimetres of snow.

Now I live just East of the Canadian Rockies. This February we hit an all time record for snow and today is another heavy snow warning. Up to 20 cm by tomorrow.
I own numerous coats, puffy and otherwise, with varying degrees of insulation. I know it sounds like just an excuse to keep buying new coats but I wear each and every one of them, I swear

[Post New]by Hufflepuff on Mar 1, 18 4:38 PM
We in western Germany have no snow but ice weather, I so much long for spring!

[Post New]by Susanna502 on Mar 1, 18 11:40 PM
The problem for areas that don't usually get much snow is they often don't have enough of the appropriate equipment and workers to clear the roads. That was usually the problem when I lived in Maryland. I grew up in Southern California where snow stayed up in the mountains where you could visit it on weekends and holidays, but didn't have to deal with it going to work or school.

Czoe
Herring
Herring
334 Posts

[Post New]by Czoe on Mar 2, 18 12:28 AM
Yes, I remember as a Minnesotan child living in Granada Hills CA for two years, the occasional drive to the mountains to see snow again.

And my perplexity of how the teachers would let everyone run outside during a class, just because a few flakes were drifting toward the ground, melting before they even hit the eager tongues of children who didn't care whether it was smog-laden precipitation.

What was magical to them, seemed like a pitiful attempt at winter, to me. But I said nothing, because they seemed so delighted.

Kind of wished that I could have taught them about snow angels and forts, ridiculous snowmen, sliding, skiing and snowball fights, because there were a few that I really wanted to sling a big messy wet snowball towards, (versus a hard packed one, only the boys used those instruments of damage).

Later, back in MN, I would glide my own children for winter walks on a converted Rosebud type sled, that my Dad constructed with enclosing outer panels, and hockey sticks for the pushing, stroller-like steering function. It was painted orange and every nearby family wanted one!

Edited on 03/02/2018 at 2:53:05 AM PST

Grimwald
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by Grimwald on Mar 2, 18 4:58 AM
playingthegame wrote:Time for some Canadian Tales!!

DoubleMsMom wrote:Does your tale include walking to school in deep snow, up hill, both ways???"

Oh, golly!
Please don't get my resident Canadian started with "Canadian Tales!"

And of course it includes the "uphill both ways".... despite the fact that the city he lived in is so flat it had to build its own mountain.

No snow where I am today, but they canceled the local schools because of WIND! That's a first for me.

Grimwald

Patm49
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by Patm49 on Mar 2, 18 5:16 AM
whitebutterfly54 wrote:LOL, I had to laugh when I read this thread. It's nice to see that no matter our differences, some things are universal.

Here on the East Coast of the US when we get a couple inches, everything grinds to a halt. Schools close, snowplows are out, grocery store shelves are bare, accidents clog the roadways and local government begins hand wringing over their shrinking snow removal budget.

When we get a foot or more, it's easier. Nothing moves. Thank goodness that much snow is few and far between.

In Central Massachusetts we are getting freezing rain. Suppose to change to snow with between 6" - 12". I'm hoping the weather men are wrong. I just don't want to lose the power.....then I wouldn't be able to play Midnight Castle!

Hope everyone can just settle in for the day, stay warm and enjoy a stress free day!

[Post New]by Thewerecatqueen on Mar 3, 18 11:10 AM
We don't have any snow here, but Yesterday my entire state got SLAMMED with a massive windstorm

Shawkn
Clownfish
Clownfish
754 Posts

[Post New]by Shawkn on Mar 3, 18 9:25 PM
jack7242 wrote:Well it's still snowing here in Edinburgh and judging by the bright moon, very cold.

I kinda feel a bit guilty about evicting a fox from my garden shed at the weekend, but I suspect, judging by the paw prints in the snow he/she is back inside!

OK it can stay for the time being. Softie!

Everyone needs a "port in the storm" as they say.

Go to: