Gamer_Geek
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

Re:The Fifth Gate Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by Gamer_Geek on Jul 12, 10 2:50 AM
Yes, this game is very much like Magic Seeds, Magic Farm, and all the other grow/harvest flowers games, except you make potions and not bouquets.

Having bought and played the game through, I was disappointed that there was only one mode - no additional content or other mode of play after you finish the 5th gate. So, no replayability. The plot was a bit lame, but could be overlooked since the game was fun.

Fransje66
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,217 Posts

[Post New]by Fransje66 on Jul 13, 10 5:50 AM
Still enjoying the game very much.

Only wish: there were 10 gardens, with improving difficulty.

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Jul 13, 10 6:00 AM
I'm still enjoying it too!! Perhaps the dev's might consider a sequel. I would like to see Eden put all those fascinating potions to work in her world.
And Morgana is still loose, plotting and potting new wonderful flowers (need fruits).

fauxgina
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by fauxgina on Jul 16, 10 7:20 AM
I'm not really a time-management game sort of person because my threshhold for frustration is so low -- I'm big into hidden object games. That said, I loved this game. I thought the graphics and design were beautiful, the gameplay was fun, I was addicted! I kept finding myself thinking about the game while I was at work, looking forward to getting home so I could play some more. I played for 1-2 hours at a time, most nights this week, and it took me a week to finish the game, so it lasted a very decent amount of time.

I loved the potion-making aspect of the game. There is an element of strategy to this game (although that's probably true of all TM games), and the learning curve seemed fairly generous, without feeling like it was easy. The game was a challenge without being impossible.

The only other TM games I've played are some of the Diner Dash ones, which I loved, and this is easily on par with those -- just with a different vibe.

The music was also good! It's quite relaxing, which is nice in TM games where you're feverishly clicking and trying to get it all done. Really put me in mind of "Viva Pinata" for the XBox360.

Definitely give this game a go!

jcaso
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
2 Posts

[Post New]by jcaso on Jul 21, 10 1:45 PM
I have been playing this game a while and made alot of giggling potions, but nothing is happening. I didn't even get a gem. How many potions do I need to finish my quest and also get new plants. To bad I bought it.

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Aug 1, 10 5:08 PM
It's so colorful! and magical! and just downright beautiful. There is a lot of clicking on the bugs, but I'm more hopeful having read the comments that let me know it get's less in level 2. It wasn't until I sold my violets that I realized you have to start over from the start when you buy a new one. After buying the games, which I fully intend doing, I'm going to start over now that I understand the strategy better. My downfall with the demo is that I played it for 9 minutes when it first came out and just finished the demo today.... not wise.

As TM games go, this is a keeper, the graphics and theme are just too lovely to pass up!

sherheff
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by sherheff on Aug 1, 10 5:52 PM
This game is beautiful! Very fine graphics. It held my attention, and I enjoyed making the potions & planning the sales to maximize my funds for more plants.
The bugs/icky things got out of hand...wish the freeze thing worked for a little longer.

[Post New]by mrsnikkihayes on Aug 1, 10 6:06 PM
This is the best TM game I have played for a while, due to the strategy elements, and it is split into manic clicking (this doesn't last all that long though) and long thinking about potions and upgrades (no spoilers, lol!). The graphics are gorgeous and I've played it through 4 times now! My main gripe is that it is too short, I wanted more gardens - lots and lots of gardens, lol! I really hope they do a sequel. Any suggestions for similar games (and I don't mean farming games which I'm not keen on - Farm Frenzy is NOT a favourite of mine) would be much appreciated. I do think this game has replayability value but after 4 times I think I'll leave it for a few weeks before playing again, just long enough for it to be a little bit challenging again. The hardest level to achieve expert for me was, strangely enough, in the first garden and I had to keep playing the garden from the beginning to find the strategy to achieve that last elusive expert. The great thing about the game is that there is no time limit so you can take as long as you want if you don't want to rush, there is no reward for achieving expert other than personal satisfaction and a different coloured jewel marking that quest completed. Well worth trying, those who found the bugs a pain should try more than the first garden as there are bug solutions on the horizon ;o)

[Post New]by mrsnikkihayes on Aug 5, 10 11:01 PM
Well I've bought and been playing Magic Farm Ultimate Flower (MFUF) for a few days now and I can definitely say that The Fifth Gate (TFG) is better, although the similarities make me wonder if they are by the same company. The manic clicking sections of MFUF are a bit too long in comparison with TFG and after an ill-advised 4 hour play session my right arm ached all the way down the following day. The gameplay is very similar in both games except for the helper dragon you get in MFUF, although in the early stages of the game it is more of a hindrance than a help in my opinion. TFG beats MFUF for graphics hands-down, but MFUF is far, far longer - there are two game modes (casual and hardcode - I've only played casual so far) and there are even bonus quests to do when you finish the main object of the game. That was my main disappointment with TFG, I really wanted it to be much longer (here's hoping for a sequel, lol!). The story of MFUF is far better developed than that of TFG, not that this is essential to a good game but a good storyline is always a nice bonus. Combine the beautiful graphics and potion-making of TFG with the better storyline and length of MFUF and you could have the perfect game ;o)

Fransje66
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,217 Posts

[Post New]by Fransje66 on Aug 8, 10 1:40 AM
This WAS a lovely game - but far too easy.

l like this game with a challenge at least x5 or better: 10

Pixielate
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Pixielate on Aug 16, 10 9:07 PM
I'm not a big fan of TM games, but I love the look of this game and find it highly addicting. I just wish it were longer. Those 5 gates a such a small accomplishment; I want more gates! (And fewer pests, but thanks for not having snails & slugs).

BOREDAND50
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by BOREDAND50 on Sep 2, 10 8:54 PM
I don't usually play time management games but this caught my attention,
I have played it several times now and have thoroughly enjoyed it every time!
Hope we see more like it....I think I liked it because you weren't having to serve orders to customers, is there any more like this?

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Oct 13, 10 10:30 PM
I hate TM games. Really. But this one I tried and fell in love with! It is beautiful, and fun, and just right for those of us who are not so good at frantic action. They could put a harder mode as an option, maybe, but it was just right for me. I, too, hope for a sequel, and I think they left it open for that.

[Post New]by Chlorinda13 on Apr 18, 11 6:26 AM
Admittedly I'm a TM games fan. My favourite right now is Magic Life. However I find this game sooo addictive. I hated Plantasia and have never bought a farm game in my life but there's something special to this.

I agree that the graphics are beautiful but I'm not so sure about why the game is so compelling. Perhaps it's because I enjoy making the potions - and selling them without knowing whether they will be asked for later.

Anyway, although admittedly there isn't much variety this game is still rellay good.

4 star rating.

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Jul 23, 11 1:09 AM
I love this game so much, one of my all time favorite TM game. Purchased it since last year but just saw the DD today so i decided to post the review here. Gorgeous beautiful graphics, variety of upgrades, flowers and features, fantastic gameplay - finished it for about the 6th time already!

Grades:

Graphics: A*
Music: A
Story: A
Features: A
Fun: A*
Gameplay: A*
Overall: A*

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 23, 11 2:52 PM
Graphics – 3 stars
Story – 2.5 stars
Music/Sounds – 3 stars
Gameplay – 3 stars
Overall – 2.875 stars

My ratings of games can be high as 5 and can be low as 1.

Ratings Explained:

1 star: Poor
2 stars: Okay
3 stars: Good
4 stars: Great
5 stars: Excellent

I won’t be purchasing this game at all. For those who did – Happy Gaming!

[Post New]by crshoh on Jul 24, 11 8:05 PM
Love the graphics and the plotline. The game is not quite as good as magic farm. I didn't like the fact that you couldn't keep the money you earned and it really neede an endless mode.

bigpescador
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by bigpescador on Aug 14, 11 7:34 PM

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Jul 6, 14 3:59 PM
I love this game I've owned it for quite a while. Yes, it's true you have to click a lot...at first!! But there are gradually added upgrades so if you work it out so there is hardly any clicking. There is a lot of leeway about how you play the game, You can play for expert on the challenges you're given, or you can play for upgrades. This is what I really like about this game. I wish they would make more games where you can plan stuff out to get what you want and yet you still have goals to reach. It's a really clever little game.

Go to: