bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

Re:Skymist - The Lost Spirit Stones

[Post New]by bootsie21 on Jul 5, 10 1:48 AM
openAL.dll is quite safe as my per previous above.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jul 5, 10 1:48 AM
This post is for BFG (and anyone else within shouting distance)--how dare you ply us with what looks like a wonderful game but include some ancillary (and I'm guessing useless) software download from some (unknown to me) company that apparently won't guarantee their product? (See an earlier post). Been a member for a year now and always liked what you provide, but this seems downright sneaky. It's off to CS for me.

(Update to these earlier comments--seems I stand corrected and should trust BFG when it comes to downloads. Guess I sounded like CNBC's Jim Cramer ("the sky is falling, the sky is falling!") I'll try it again and see what gives, but I feel relieved, although having been duped into some lousy, useless apps b4.

Edited on 07/05/2010 at 4:14:57 AM PST

Pinky559
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by Pinky559 on Jul 5, 10 1:51 AM
THIS SOFTWARE THING HAS ME SCARED. I AM NOT GOING TO PLAY THE GAME. WHEN I SAW THE MESSAGE I ALMOST HAD A HEART ATTACK. I DIDCANCEL..... AND NOW IM GOING TO PUT THE GAME IN THE TRASH. THAT HOW MUCH THIS BOTHERS ME. JUST WROTE TO BF. SEE WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY.

Edited on 07/05/2010 at 2:16:20 AM PST

gellyitaly
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by gellyitaly on Jul 5, 10 1:54 AM
I too didn't accept OpenAll installer , i was suspicious so came straight here to see what others were saying, I've now decided after reading your comments to delete the game, it's not worth the risk-

Edited on 07/05/2010 at 1:56:54 AM PST

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jul 5, 10 2:01 AM
bootsie21 wrote:If anyone has a pop-up: 'openAL.dll', this is OK. It is from Creative Labs and safe.

My monitor is also widescreen and the game plays fine, my resolution 1280x800.

Hi,
I tried all the settings but still tiny square on screen. It must be the HD thing if your game plays ok! I can see it better in windowed mode, but never had to play a game like that before.
As for the prog that came with this game; after I'd installed it my anti virus software popped up and asked to quarantine it :-(( Which i did but the game still plays ok luckily.

purplemist
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by purplemist on Jul 5, 10 2:02 AM
same here no weird unknown software going onto my putor so game trashed the sec I read that installer. This game a no go anywhere near for me and it looked though it may have been worth playing

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jul 5, 10 2:06 AM
[quote=puzzledone
re the full screen thing, it is a conflict in W7 with the video driver but I haven't worked on fixing it yet, I get the black borders and cannot change settings for most games. So thought I'd try game on older pc xp. if enough resources..

Many thanks! I have W7 so that must be the issue. Very annoying as I have blinding headache trying to play this game. Bought in the hope there'll be an update/fix for this problem in the near future!

ciscaR8
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by ciscaR8 on Jul 5, 10 2:07 AM
i got the same message you all got, i didnt doload it and the game just works fine with me.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jul 5, 10 2:38 AM
OK folks, I took the plunge and DL on my older pc with xp and great graphics. It is running just beautiful, full screen, colorful, cheerful light hearted music, whimsical. HOGs are beautiful, not easy not hard, used a hint or two to move on. Took me 30 min for one chapter, exitted quick, no lag. Whew...considering that pc already got a trojan last year, cost big bucks (for me) to wipe it and reformat Winxp.

I guess that installer is part of the game, not sure if I want to try W7 laptop yet, just replaced another that fried in April. BF sure giving us a fright on a holiday huh, no fireworks outside, just my brain fizzling out.

Really does look like a fun game, user friendly for me, quality so far, but maybe too simple for the experts who crave challenges. Think I'll buy it on sale. Hope BF divies up if we all crash, they guarantee their games virus free. Not sure what may ride along with this but nobody has crashed yet have they?

btw re that Win7 video thing, seems to be mostly those who upgraded Vista to 7, got some links to read, the graphics card is older than the driver and the settings were greyed out to make changes. PM me for links, altho my laptop came new with w7 already on it, can't switch to windows or change settings on any game but 3, 15.6 widescreen HD think it is AMD, have to look it up. Not a geek but generally got the gist.

tribrach
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by tribrach on Jul 5, 10 3:52 AM
After my daughter installed this game with it's "suspect" software (great, thanks for telling me after you'd done it honey! ) I ran a full scan of my puter to ensure that there was nothing lurking in the shadows waiting to pounce when my back was turned....& I can report....all's well.
(didn't realy think that B.F. would allow a game on its site that contained anything dangerous...but I had to be sure)

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 5, 10 4:05 AM
Not played the game yet but I also got the message to install 'OpenAL'. Having previously installed a game that included this small extra download, I can assure you its not harmful. The file has been sitting on my PC for ages with no virus issues at all; I run a daily scan with Malwarebytes which has never found a problem and a weekly scan with AVG full version which also doesn't have a problem with OpenAL. If you're in doubt, google it and you will be reassured its not harmful or suspicious; it simply allows certain games to run properly.

MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

[Post New]by MargieB on Jul 5, 10 4:23 AM

Good Morning Fishies,

I see a lot of concerns regarding the Open Al program. I am not a big technical person but I can assure you that the Open Al program is legit.

I had a game that I was recently writing a walkthrough for (can't remember the name) and the game would not work properly so the techs at the office determined that it was because I did not have Open Al installed in my computer. Once I installed it, the game ran properly.

I can assure you that you can accept the Open Al program. Once you have it installed you should not have to do it again if you download another game that requires it unless there is an update to the Open Al program.

Hope this clears up the air for some of you.If you still have some concerns you can google "Open Al" to view information regarding this program.

Thanks for listening!

MargieB

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jul 5, 10 4:42 AM
Update - game is running fine now on laptop with W7. Still get the black borders on the sides as do all games but 3, widescreen 15.6. Getting used to it if no teeny tinies.

There is a bright screen option for you who have problems with dark areas, but so far there are none here. My pc monitor is always up to 100% bright anyway. Nice the give that option if needed.

Started the demo 3 times now, xp pc, laptop w7, then went back and changed player name on laptop to see if items changed on hogs. No, same list all three times on demos. So, may not be a good one for replay. But as long as it is, and giving time between replays not a problem for me and my memory or lack thereoff. Still, seems well worth the price if only played once, especially with promo going on. Bought it!!

THANKS MARGIE AND OTHERS FOR REASSURANCE RE INSTALLER.

Edited on 07/05/2010 at 4:43:49 AM PST

[Post New]by Coronagold on Jul 5, 10 5:05 AM
Open Al has been around for about a decade now. It's very common. It's a Creative Labs driver enhancement. (Creative Labs makes Sound Blaster audio stuff.) So just take a chill pill, drama queens.

[Post New]by petersenjj on Jul 5, 10 5:14 AM
sadji wrote:Do not see any text in this game. My PC works with Win7 64 bit.

I have the same problem must be Windows 7 64bit issue.
Tested the game in a virtual XP and it runs fine.

I send a report to customer support about this problem ,
answer will be posted asap.
Juergen

[Post New]by mutantarcade on Jul 5, 10 5:24 AM
Hi everyone!

First off, to everyone who's downloaded Skymist, thank you!!! We really hope you're enjoying it.

I wanted to hop on and add my two cents about OpenAL - it is a software library that we rely on in Skymist to play music and sound effects, which is why it's installed along with the game. To be clear - it's NOT malware, spyware, or anything else that will harm your system - but it is important for the game to run. We're following up with BFG to see about updating the installer to be a bit less scary - we certainly realize that reading a bunch of vaguely threatening legal terms and conditions is not necessarily the most comforting experience right before installing a game.

Again, thank you so much for downloading Skymist, and we apologize to everyone who's been put off by the installation experience.

Kai Tagawa
Mutant Arcade, Inc.

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Jul 5, 10 5:28 AM
I have 6 minutes left on demo and it's not what I expected. From the opening scene, I thought it was going to be a typical "princess-in-the-castle fairy tale" scenario--it's really not. The game took a quirky little turn which surprised me.

Graphics are clear, some HOGS well hidden. They're more "old school" graphics opposed to mystical or fantasy renderings. (they have computer disks pictures opposed to CD's, lol).

Requires some interaction so far to progress. Havent' seen any puzzle mini-games so far, but it does have "find 8 pairs of like items", or "find 25 acorns" etc., in between HOG scenes.

I think I'll get this just for the fact I found it a change from the last intensive HOGS I've been playing.

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Jul 5, 10 5:29 AM
barregar wrote:I just downloaded it and it does not work for me. Asked me to instal some new software which looks so suspicious but anyway, it said installation complete but the game will not open. This has never happened to me before with all the Bigfish games that I have bought.

Not happy

Go read Margie B comments about it ... it is OK. The Open All is from the creator of the game.

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Jul 5, 10 5:33 AM
mutantarcade wrote:Hi everyone!

First off, to everyone who's downloaded Skymist, thank you!!! We really hope you're enjoying it.

I wanted to hop on and add my two cents about OpenAL - it is a software library that we rely on in Skymist to play music and sound effects, which is why it's installed along with the game. To be clear - it's NOT malware, spyware, or anything else that will harm your system - but it is important for the game to run. We're following up with BFG to see about updating the installer to be a bit less scary - we certainly realize that reading a bunch of vaguely threatening legal terms and conditions is not necessarily the most comforting experience right before installing a game.

Again, thank you so much for downloading Skymist, and we apologize to everyone who's been put off by the installation experience.

Kai Tagawa
Mutant Arcade, Inc.

Thank you for coming here to explain this to us ..it is not something we are used to ...

Yosemite1956c
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Yosemite1956c on Jul 5, 10 5:39 AM
Just played 30 minutes of the demo...have to take the dogs out for a walk. So far, I'm really liking this game. Other than the snarky dialogue (not much of it tho) it's not like some of the recent HOGs that make you want to puke with their mundaneness and stupidity.
This one is interesting to look at and the objects are cleverly hidden. So far, so good.
Don't worry about that install....no problems.

Edited on 07/05/2010 at 5:42:00 AM PST

Go to: