bfgZambezi
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,858 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Skymist - The Lost Spirit Stones

[Post New]by bfgZambezi on Jul 5, 10 8:40 AM
Thanks for starting a review thread, cherbtoo!

I've gone ahead and stickied this thread to the top of the forum as the official Comments and Reviews thread.

Remember to include a big ole "SPOILER" alert in your post if you're giving away plot details or solutions in the game.

Happy gaming everyone!

-bfgZambezi

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Jul 5, 10 9:01 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:Oh, and I didn't like this game. I don't care for "adventure" games that tell you what you need to do without giving you any idea of how to do it. It took me ten minutes to figure out that the plaque had to go in the slot on the box thing on the left side of the screen because it doesn't tell you that you need to use it to do anything, much less where to use it. The 3 or 4 locations I got through was pure luck and by clicking constantly to figure out if there was something laying around. And it took another 10 minutes to figure out that the gas was used to make the torch to burn the rope to make the key fall. It didn't say how to do any of it. Just clicked and clicked and picked up the inventory stuff and clicked all over the place. Not my idea of fun. So I'm not going to buy it. That and it was a little juvenile as far as graphics and story goes which kind of contradicts the skill level required.

Actually, if you read the journal every time it opens up, you will find all sorts of hints and clues as to what you need to do next. That is where I the info on what to do with the "slot on the box thing" LOL Almost every action is explained or at least hinted at, in the journal. If you're still stuck, there is always the walkthrough.

DonnyDJ
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
475 Posts

[Post New]by DonnyDJ on Jul 5, 10 9:14 AM
Hey Margie

Over 300 Bigfish credits spent to date, including 9 this month. I get all your exclusive tms, plus some of the better hogs Hope you are doing fantastic!

-Don

aalaurie
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by aalaurie on Jul 5, 10 9:25 AM
Avalon2 wrote:Game runs fine on Vista 32-bit. Music is very good, lyrical, and changes with the action. Downloaded, installed, played for 30 minutes, exited, then entered the game again to make sure it would pick up where I left. No problems anywhere.

Nice game, developers

Caution: Verbose Open-AL explanation follows:
OpenAL is a cross-platform 3D audio API (Application Programming Interface) appropriate for use with gaming applications and many other types of audio applications. Cross-platform means "any operating system".

Sometimes it is a part of your original audio card version installation and usually pre-loaded by your PC manufacturer so it is pretty much invisible to the user.

I have noticed there have been some games (from BigFish too) that request my permission to install OpenAL. In fact I was glad to see it for this game because now I have the latest, which will take the place of the OpenAL.dll that was installed on my computer last year. Have you ever tried to locate, download and install just one DLL and then locate the file folder it is supposed to be in and then run the authorization so Windows will accept it? It is not pretty.

Thank you so much for the explanation. I, too, did the uninstall and then re-install and accept dance. All the while, I was thinking I would probably have to restore the system and holding my breath in the process.

There was a time when I would have gone the "not pretty" route and thought nothing of it, but now I avoid that "shuffling" like the plague. The technical side of all of this for me has been replaced by the "lets just play" side and I am very happy not to have to tinker with the innards.

Thank you again. I don't know what I would do without the forums and all of you who help with the expert advice. This is truly a fantastic gaming community.

How does the song go?
I get by with a little help from my friends!

Bless You!

[Post New]by kimburns on Jul 5, 10 9:47 AM
I can't get past the EXPLOSION sign how do you do it? wish it had a skip

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Jul 5, 10 9:51 AM
kimburns wrote: I can't get past the EXPLOSION sign how do you do it? wish it had a skip

That would be a spoiler in this topic, since this is for reviews. But I've already posted an explanation in the Movie Sign topic, so take a look there and see if it helps. If you still can't get it, I can help you with a specific solution, but it will be different for different people, so let's do that in the Movie Sign topic also.

Don't worry--it's easier than it seems once you understand how it works.

Robin

Edited on 07/05/2010 at 9:52:51 AM PST

[Post New]by kimburns on Jul 5, 10 9:52 AM
linisleo
make sure the arrow is pointing to the wire not the torch

Pertigal
Shark
Shark
10,783 Posts

[Post New]by Pertigal on Jul 5, 10 9:54 AM
This is already addressed above and in the walkthrough. But you can also make a list of the 24 possible combinations and work your way through them.

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Jul 5, 10 9:55 AM
When I looked at the blog and saw this game is 25 chapters I almost bought it without demoing first. I'm half way through the demo and am buying it now. It's a fun interactive HOG, not too easy and not too hard, makes for a fun gaming afternoon. Perfect for a holiday! Thanks BFG! Definitely a winner!

And thanks everyone for the great comments and reviews!

Edited on 07/05/2010 at 9:56:14 AM PST

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Jul 5, 10 10:19 AM
I got half-way in Chapter 5 when my hour demo was up. Graphics are bright and pleasant. I don't find the style to be too cartoonish. Finding the objects is just the right chalenge for me and it was fun. I don't know if there is anything more to the storyline, but what I read was good, and I did find that I wanted to find out more of the story. I just hope the ending is not too lame. Skymist is a buy for me.

euphoria
Herring
Herring
386 Posts

[Post New]by euphoria on Jul 5, 10 10:26 AM
I had to stop playing after only 20 minutes to pop in and say how much I like this game! Lots of HOG scenes, but also lots of interaction and having to figure out what to do. The steps are logical and the game gives you help if you read the journal, but doesn't annoyingly hold your hand and tell you what to do every step of the way.

Love the graphics; rather than filling a scene with objects that look like they came from 10 different sources (ie, some photorealistic and others cartoony), they have drawn every object and every scene, so everything is consistent and nothing is "lost in translation" (like a cut 'n paste loaf of bread that ends up resembling a rock). Love this. (I also appreciated that about "Murder She Wrote" - if there are other games of this ilk, I'd love to know about them.)

The characters (at least the three I've interacted with so far) are compelling and believable and I absolutely love "my" end of the dialogue with them; most of what I've said to them so far is what I would say in real life! (Well, after all, I'm saving the kingdom; I don't have time to deal with petty, self-important twits! LOL)

All in all, four stars - can't wait to get back to it.

snoopy13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by snoopy13 on Jul 5, 10 11:12 AM
I did a few minutes of the demo and would like to buy it today on sale.
However, the one thing I don't like is that it doesn't expand at all to fit my 24" monitorl. Usually I can adjust my screen resolution to fill more space but with this game that doesn't work. It's like playing on a DS. Any suggestions? Thanks!

[Post New]by heatherington on Jul 5, 10 11:57 AM
This is a thoroughly enjoyable game, the length is not too long and not too short. The hidden objects are challenging to find and sometimes you don’t know what you are doing so that is always good because if there were no challenge we would not like it. We always knew that we had need of used gum, I thought that was hilarious. There were a lot of fun aspects to this game. From the old Nintendo controller to the aluminum foil on the old TV antenna and the 8-track tape along with the new stuff like the PDA. I did notice that if you exited too many times using the “full screen” method, which I have done on many a game to see what the heck the blog walkthrough says to do next, the game will start pixilating. I think that the “EXPLOSION” thing was a little over the top as there was no way to skip it. That could hang some players up. But I considered it a really great game and I didn’t have to buy it because I had my game codes earned from June so that was good.

Kayster
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Kayster on Jul 5, 10 12:36 PM
euphoria wrote:
Love the graphics; rather than filling a scene with objects that look like they came from 10 different sources (ie, some photorealistic and others cartoony), they have drawn every object and every scene.

Oh so true. I am enjoying the quality of the graphics on this more than any recent game. I am on a 30" screen (for graphics work really, but quite nice for games ) and everything is pin sharp and clear. A lot of work went into this. And I do concur that it is CGI not hand drawn as suggested by another reviewer.

euphoria wrote:
The characters (at least the three I've interacted with so far) are compelling and believable and I absolutely love "my" end of the dialogue with them; most of what I've said to them so far is what I would say in real life! (Well, after all, I'm saving the kingdom; I don't have time to deal with petty, self-important twits!.

I was a little worried when I was ask to find blush and lipstick, but I should not have been. This character is much like me too

A rare /

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Jul 5, 10 1:02 PM
After playing Syberia 1 & 2, I'm very selective and not satisfied with games like this. Very childish.

muzicgal
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by muzicgal on Jul 5, 10 1:27 PM
WOW! That's the word that came to my mind as I was playing the game. I really love it. The graphics are fantastic, the hidden objects not too difficult, and the music is lovely. I wish everyone could enjoy it as much as I have. Thanks to the developers and BF for this great game. gal

MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

[Post New]by MargieB on Jul 5, 10 1:30 PM
DonnyDJ wrote:Hey Margie

Over 300 Bigfish credits spent to date, including 9 this month. I get all your exclusive tms, plus some of the better hogs Hope you are doing fantastic!

-Don

Hey Don!

Good to see you

Wow, you have a lot of games, keep it up

I'm doing quite well, thanks for asking, hope you're doing well also!

MargieB

Nice Game!

[Post New]by militarymommy on Jul 5, 10 1:40 PM
I found this to be a fun and relaxing game with the story line having a sense of humor that made me laugh at times. It is a bit of an adventure H.O.G. game so a tad more fun than just finding objects. I did not find it overly childish - the game is based on a Princess, after all!
I listened to the music for a bit, was not too bad, but always turn music off as it distracts me.
There are no click penalties when you are trying to figure out your next step in the game, but there is when you are in the hidden object scenes. Hints refill in about a minute and so far seem to be unlimited.
I happily used another "july4thsale" coupon to purchase this one - $4.89 USD is a steal for a game that is good enough to want to see how the story turns out - And hope the Princess does not marry that pompous toad! LOL
Happy gaming, all!!!

Edited on 07/05/2010 at 1:41:06 PM PST

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Jul 5, 10 2:06 PM
WOW thanks for all the great reviews.

I had to buy this game today, greatest graphics as all have said.

Nice relaxing game to play in between my harder games lol.

Have a great day all

Slavicdiva
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Slavicdiva on Jul 5, 10 2:16 PM
I bought this game with 13 minutes still left in the demo.

Overall, very enjoyable. Some objects are very well-hidden indeed, but they all look like what they're supposed to be. One of my pet peeves is looking for "objects" that turn out to be ambiguous blobs.

The game has a sly sense of humor which I really enjoyed! And the journal contains enough pointers that there is really no need for a walkthrough. The puzzles are all quite logical and not terribly difficult.

Very very glad I bought it in today's sale!

Go to: