Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air

[Post New]by phiandjen16 on Jul 8, 10 8:00 PM
I love this series, but the games are getting shorter and less challenging with each new entry. I hope for the next installment they take a page from the first two (the best of the four so far) and get back to a game that is of substantial length and provides more of a mental challenge to figure out where to go and what to do.

XanthFan
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by XanthFan on Jul 8, 10 8:43 PM
I have to agree with the general comments that the game is too short and un-challenging. This was the first DC game other than the first that I did not use a walk through or a hint. I played all of the DC games out of order, ( I started with #3).
The graphics are out standing and the story would have worked IF the challenges were, well, challenging.

I went ahead and played it through three times, the first time in casual mode and the next two times in challenger mode. the funny thing is the first time was more challenging than the two time in challenger mode.

Please review the next chapter and make the challenges more like #3 and #2.

Hide the dream pieces and dream jewels
Avoid the same shapes in jigsaw puzzles (boring) Go to Jigzone and look at their puzzles
Make the fuel stones harder to find and separated into different piles so we have to search to find them. then allow us to gather more than "one-lump-sum"
I liked the Nexus and having to make the molds in #3
#3 had several different challenges per chapter and so did #2. That is what We all Loved about them and we were really let down by this one. They were challenging but still do-able.
This one, is a flop in comparison.
As a game in its own right, compares with playing a game of go fish with a six year old.
Sorry about the reference to fish.

If the makers are looking for a story for a new game, tell them to start reading the Xanth series of books by Piers Anthony. Now there's a good game story and it is already written.

[Post New]by wcptink on Jul 8, 10 8:57 PM
I agree with the comments here. The game took about 2 Hours to finish and very easy. I kept expecting something exciting to happen, but it never did and then it just ended. Wow, what a waste of $6.99. I liked the other Dream Chronicles ok so I bought with out reading comments here. Wish I had looked first.

[Post New]by neonurse on Jul 8, 10 9:40 PM
I have been anxiously awaiting the release of this DC game after playing the first three, and I was really disappointed. Big waste of GCC. Graphics were nice but game way to short and scenes were nothing more than picking up and repairing broken objects. I agree with the annoying voice. I wish I had read reviews before I bought the game. Won't make that mistake again.

Edited on 07/08/2010 at 9:42:59 PM PST

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Jul 8, 10 11:12 PM
Welcome WECPTINK and NEONURSE to the Pond! Hope you will enjoy it here as much as I do!

As for the game. All I can say is darn it all, anyway. Dream Chronicles was one of my faves - have all 3. The 2nd one was the most challening game I have ever played, with no help in sight. There was a walkthrough, but that didn't necessarily help you figure out a puzzle. I figured when I finished #2, there could never be a game I could not beat. So proud of myself!!

What do they say? Pride comes before the fall ... This is the fall. Why not just take my hand and lead me through the whole game, and point out all the dream pieces along the way, show me by blinking the objects I need to deal with, and then say goodbye? This is NOTHING like the other games in the series. I will never understand why people feel they have to change a good thing they have going for them.

I'm sorry to say, I doubt if I will buy this one. Such a disappointment.

cg

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jul 9, 10 1:41 AM
I also wanted to enjoy this game. I own the first two in the series, The series is borderline for me. I have just never cared much for games about fairies and/or magic. That said, I love the graphics which are what sold me the first two games.

What kept me from purchasing the third game and this one are the too-small objects!! Please Devs, stop that! I never found all the gems in the first two games. I Demo'd the third game but the microscopic items continued and I did not buy. That was a great disappointment as I wanted to finish the series. There is no fun in a game that requires Hints and walkthroughs in order to find tiny objects (could the gems get smaller?). This game is no different. The only way I found all of the map pieces was by clicking madly all over the scene. I almost gave up at that point but i accidently found the final map piece and continued.

i was thrilled to see a magnifying glass! I thought, "At last! The devs have listened and have made a game that I can play!". I clicked on the glass and discovered that it was NOT a magnifier but the Hint system. So disappointing!

No, I will not buy it. if i could see the tiny objects, I would have bought the game based on the beauty alone but, sorry, NO SALE!

[Post New]by helrazor65 on Jul 9, 10 2:36 AM
big let down i also thought it was going to be as good as the others in the series but i finished this one in a couple of hours !! shouldnt have wasted my money on it really but you dont know that at the time do you !!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 9, 10 3:48 AM
I'm new to the Dream Chronicles games and loved the demo so much I used a credit to buy it. I was disappointed at how short it was; I finished it fairly soon after buying it.
The graphics are beautiful, enjoyable puzzles and gameplay was challenging enough to keep my interest.

Overall the game was enjoyable but far too short. Are all the Dream Chronicles games as short as this one? I'd like to try another and would be interested to know which one to demo next.

[Post New]by Nachojack9 on Jul 9, 10 4:11 AM
WASTE OF A CREDIT! I enjoyed the trial & purchased the game but then WHAT HAPPENED??? I wish I'd read reviews before I WASTED a credit because this game is WAY TOO SHORT!! Just when you thought you were off to another chapter the game finished! NOT HAPPY! @#$%^%##@&&**((

tinatoerat
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by tinatoerat on Jul 9, 10 6:14 AM
I agree with the previous reviewers comments about the shortness of the game, but I'd like to add an extra gripe about the poor development of the storyline.

The clockmaker is just a voice from a mechanical device, who makes vaguely proud statements comparing himself to fidget or tangle. Unbelievably, when you return to his home having solved the puzzles and found the items there is no response from him. Surely this was another place where some story development could have happened. To just fix the problems (all of the same type, AGAIN) then jump in my silly ship, play SameGame AGAIN was a real letdown.

Plotline and story can make up for lack of content in other areas (such as puzzles) but they seem to have missed out on them as well.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 9, 10 6:18 AM
I am surprised by all the negative comments. I already owned the first 3 DC games, and loved them. Today I bought 'The Book of Air' and loved it - almost even more than the other 3 games (except the first one, which was my favourite until 'The Book of Air' came out).

I love the graphics and the gameplay. The puzzles were mostly not too difficult, thank the gods. I hate having to use a walkthrough all the time.

I also love the new way of finding and adding the gems - and they are so much easier to find now, thank goodness. And they actually have a purpose now.

The English accent was perfectly done, IMO (I live in the UK), but thought the voice was just a little too posh.

For me, the length of the game was just right. If it gets too long, I get bored, and I usually take quite a lot longer than most players seem to do anyway, because I like taking my time - after all, this is not a fast-paced TM game.

And I also loved the ending - just perfect for the next instalment. All in all, I give it 5 stars out of 5.

[Post New]by euterpe35 on Jul 9, 10 9:59 AM
EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED IN THIS GAME.

Cannot finish the game. See the forum thread "Reveal doesn't work". There is obviously a glitch in this game that quite a few people have run across, and nowhere is there a resolution to it.

WILL NOT BUY DREAM CHRONICLES AGAIN.

nightmusk
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by nightmusk on Jul 9, 10 10:12 AM
i agree totally with all the negative comments
totall waste of time
i enjoyed very mush the other 3 chronicle games
i fact ive played them many times
dont waste your money on this game
nothing really to do with the other 3
dont buy

[Post New]by funinpa on Jul 9, 10 10:40 AM
I found this recent version of Dream Chronicles WAY too short and WAY too simple. I love the graphics and the way you move around the map but this game was a disappointment. Sorry I spent the $6.99 for it but sure am glad I didn't buy the collector's edition!!!

[Post New]by DreamStalker2005 on Jul 9, 10 10:46 AM
Foxy12345 wrote:Very disappointing. I wasted a credit on this. Would definitely like to return this one. Don't waste your time! Boring

100% agree!

MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on Jul 9, 10 11:01 AM
WOW, I'm a bit shocked at the negative comments. When the SE first came out, comments were geared toward waiting and buying the 6.99 version. Just seemed to me that the majority of the fishies here liked this game. Well, I'm DL this one now and will take a second look at the play on this with the hour demo.

fauxgina
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by fauxgina on Jul 9, 10 12:34 PM
Valdy: At least one fishie in the pond has enjoyed this game!

XanthFan: I love your suggestions for making future DC games more challenging. I totally agree with your assessments of the problems in this game.

ingram02
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by ingram02 on Jul 9, 10 2:59 PM
Add me to the (short) list of people who enjoyed this game. Not up to the par of the previous Dream Chronicales games, but a pleasant interlude, nevertheless. I try to take each game as a seperate entity, and not judge it by previous games in the series, so did not feel disappointed that it was not up to the same level of complexity as the previous games.

I was happy that the dream pieces were easier to find, as it gave me more time to concentrate on the game, and less time hunting every shadow and bump, hoping I didn't miss an important jewel that would help me reach my next goal.

I, too, found the game a bit shorter than was to be expected, as I finished in about 2 hours, but at least I got to bed at a decent hour! It would have been nice to have a more complex game, but it is what it is: a short, enjoyable game that was fun to play!

Caraface
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Caraface on Jul 9, 10 4:58 PM
I bought this game this morning, after playing for about 40 mins. I just finished. It took me, literally, about 1hr 45mins. I'm EXTREMELY disappointed in the length of this game, as well as the sudden ending.

Also - I'm confused by the story - is Lyra the daughter that the mother has been trying to find in the first three games? What gives? There was no conflict - no malevolent force that we see. There's build up to it - she kept saying she "recognized" a face that showed up, and you hear a "whisper" and things disappear - but it's ever explained.

It's almost as if this should have been longer, but the developers split the game in half and will release a sequel that explains all the holes. This is one I'd like to return, as well.

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on Jul 9, 10 5:22 PM
I was not pleased.

spoiler
This game does not bother to pick up where the last game's cliffhanger left off. Then it ends in yet another cliffhanger, and I'm supposed to have some kind of confidence that the developers will bother to continue this one. This is another one of those games that is constantly grubbing for your money, convinced the only way to get you to buy their product in the future is to not bother to finish it in the present.
end spoiler

Besides that, I didn't appreciate having to play that stupid, boring marble game over and over and over throughout the entire game. I expect that kind of hackiness in other games, but I thought this game was a little above that. I got tired of omnipresent grandpa, too. Lyra is hardly isolated if she can get messages from her family continuously. There's a problem when the nicest thing you can say about a game is that at least it was short. (Although, truthfully, the graphics were terrific, and it was nice to play a game for a change that doesn't take place in Egypt.) Thank heavens I didn't spring for the Collector's Edition.

Go to: