cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: Return of the Salt Princess Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Mar 15, 18 11:14 AM
This is the worst DP I have ever come across....extremely inferior and very lacking in quality. Graphics were poor, dark and shady. Frogs were dark and undefined making it hard to see...was clicking away. Very difficult to navigate without a transport map because of all of the inventory you must find and place...going back and forth. It is difficult that there is no zoom feature. Are they serious? The SG graphics were poor and instructions on the first puzzle were useless. After doing the 4th frog ( half of that scene is darkness), I gave up. This demo was far from being an enjoyable experience. The only good thing I can say is that the hint fills quickly. I wouldn't want this if they gave it to me.

It is unbelievable that a game could be made without all of the modern conveniences we now have as standards and expect it to be popular and sell.

This is one big pillar of salt indeed....and I am not going to look back at it.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: Return of the Salt Princess Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Mar 15, 18 2:51 PM
Huh.....I must be playing a different game than some of you.....I find the graphics absolutely gorgeous on my laptop...bright, not dark, very clear, not fuzzy....I love this game and I thnk that it's one of the best Dark Parables games that I have played in a while.....perhaps we are being too hard on Eipix, they are not Blue Tea, but it is not an easy task to live up to its predecessor re Dark Parables....not easy to develop games and try to please everyone, that's literally impossible....I say Kudos to the Developers!!! More like this please! And it's a buy for me!!!

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Mar 15, 18 3:15 PM
Unlike most reviewers on here, I liked this game. More HOS than puzzles +
Not scary +
A fairy tale+
I didn't even mind the FROGS, altho not my favorite.

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Mar 15, 18 3:49 PM
Pickles77, for clarification, this newest addition to the DP series was once again developed by Blue Tea (not Eipix).

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Mar 15, 18 5:34 PM
nextgengranny, thanks for the info......there seems to be lot of confusion though as to who really developed the game....I have read some think Blue Tea, some think Eipix.....but it doesn't really matter to me who did....I love it just the same.... ...for all of you that love the game, enjoy!!!

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Mar 15, 18 6:39 PM

I was happy to see a new Parables game today. But it went downhill very quickly. The hint and skip on the casual mode refill much quicker than in the past so I don’t really miss the custom setting. The FROGs don’t seem to be as intricate as in the past but they are still good, I just miss the old Blue Tea Bling. Music is fine. Don’t quite understand why there was no jump map, what was presented is extremely old school mapping. The magnifier doesn't work as a magnifier ?? The characters all looked as if they had been taken from a comic book rather than actual artwork. I'm just not a fan of Marvel Comic books. I’ve played thru about ¾ of the game and am enjoying it but it’s not up to the past quality of Red Riding Hood Sisters and The Last Cinderella et al. Just hope this isn’t the last one.

This was to have been a new release by Blue Tea with Eipix as publisher or so I understand.

[Post New]by stellasofie on Mar 15, 18 9:09 PM
Read some of the reviews here, can understand if you want the early Dark Parables, which were classics, I believe that one may be disappointed in this new installment, maybe not. I loved the early DP games & was fine with the continuation, have them all. Read the reviews for this one, decided why not just play the Demo & see for myself, I found it interesting, no, it's not the true Blue Tea, perhaps missing some of mystery & style of those early games. But lately I've played so many somewhat disappointing games, not horrible, just not very good, I rarely quit so I've played just to play & happy to have them over with. I was surprised by the Demo for this game, I like what I've seen, I will buy this game & I have a feeling I may really enjoy it, old school, few bells & whistles can be a good thing sometimes, the mechanics seem fine & I have a feeling I won't be disappointed. One thing I really enjoy about Big Fish games is that there is always something for everyone, if we know what we like it's bound to come our way sooner or later. One thing we all must have in common is loving/liking games, if you decide to take the leap hope you Enjoy!

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Mar 15, 18 9:34 PM
Penny1942, just so. I belong to a site where one can communicate directly w/ devs who chose to participate. Eipix was specifically asked about this, & confirmed that Blue Tea were the developers of this installment of DP.

bobbiejo2
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by bobbiejo2 on Mar 16, 18 10:23 AM
Welcome Back Blue Tea Games.

I am enjoying this game. The graphics are beautiful on my iMac and the plot is interesting.

As always, try the demo for yourself and see what you think of the game.

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on Mar 16, 18 9:27 PM
This game is the bomb. It was so much fun to play a new Dark Parables. The FROGS were extraordinary, the characters were easy to relate to, the graphics were gorgeous, the music was pleasant and soothing, and tension filled when it needed to be. I love this game. The storyline was excellent. Another great experience from Big Fish and Blue Tea. And the morphing objects, my personal favorite, were almost too good to be true.

I couldn't buy this game fast enough.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: Return of the Salt Princess Collector's Edition h

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Mar 17, 18 3:58 AM
Ah bliss My favourite developer has finally taken back the reins of Dark Parables, presumably before Eipix allowed it to descend into the inevitable mediocrity of their other endless series. What a relief!

I bought the game without even trying the demo, as I always do when the sole remaining 'all FROG' developer releases a new Dark Parable. I wish there were more devs willing to go out on a limb and produce something different from the standard HOPA. Whilst the graphics do seem a touch grainy here and there, for the most part they were clear and colourful. As ever, the 'cursed objects' appear throughout the game but the SG shows their location if you can't find them. You also collect Parable notes, which turn into stories about characters from the DP series.

Much has been made of the map, which doesn't transport; no DP game has ever had a map that does this. It simply shows where there is an 'objective', not necessarily something to do. Perhaps Blue Tea decided the player should be able to work out how to get there by themselves, without the use of a satnav And the magnifying glass cursor will only zoom into a scene if there's something to do or read there, otherwise it's just a cursor. And considering the main character is a detective, it's a nice detail.

As always, if you don't like fragmented object searches you won't like this game. Personally I love them; the only slight disappointment was the lack of the stunningly beautiful objects Blue Tea used to create. Think back to Cinderella's glass slipper in a previous DP game; it glistened with an ethereal beauty that was quite breathtaking but this is sadly missing in this games' objects. They are very pretty but not as they used to be. I hope Blue Tea will get eventually their sparkle back, as it's sorely missed.

I enjoyed the storyline; I've not heard of the Salt Princess before, although apparently the Kindom of Grak must be in the USA since all the characters have American accents There are more HOS than puzzles, as far as I can tell. In the extras section you can replay the puzzles but I can only see 9 available to play. There's not much else in the extras; the collections and Parable notes are really the only other things worth mentioning. The rest is just extraneous fluff.

An immediate, no hesitation buy for me. For as long as Blue Tea make these FROGS, I will continue to buy them

No technical issues with the full game. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

Edited on 03/17/2018 at 4:04:46 AM PST

mabelina
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by mabelina on Mar 17, 18 3:25 PM
the magnifying glass is so annoying and frustrating. wish i had tried the demo first would never have bought it

kandinsky
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

Wonderful! *IF YOU LOVE BLUE TEA!* Bravo! Brava! Encore!

[Post New]by kandinsky on Mar 18, 18 7:05 AM
This is a game full of wonder and light if you are among those who have loved and missed the rich ornamental world of the first seven Blue Tea games before the period of captivity to another developer with another sensibility. Blue Tea, an expression likely from the developers Hong Kong, for the rare and exquisite is a style like Rococo period art and music which is not everyone's cup of tea, but if it is yours, well once tasted never forgotten.
Questions remain maybe.
Does it matter that there is no jump feature to the map? that the morphing objects dont have the old Blue Tea trick of only becoming active at a later point passed in the game? is there still some baleful influence of the makers in the time of captivity who act as producers? Is the story as fine as that of our favorites among the earlier games? Does it drift a little from the faerie world opening in Krakow towards the world of current HOPA plot cliches? these questions can be discussed by those who love the games and are grateful for a new cup of Blue Tea.
I dont have answers or even clear thought on some. I can say that the supposed old fashioned elements of the game dont trouble me and also that I care little about the morphing trick. the plot is not my favorite of the series but...
Think of it as an operetta after the final curtain of which all of the players appear whatever their fate or role in the story was and all are radiant and full of light as they make their bows... and how could we limit or withhold our applause? BRAVO!

Edited on 03/18/2018 at 7:06:07 AM PST

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Mar 20, 18 6:32 PM
There is a 65% off sale going on now. This brings the price (at least for club members) down to the price of an SE. Game is worth $6.99 so I decided to buy it warts and all. Should be interesting with my increasingly worsening memory and no jump map.
Oh well, I started gaming back in the stone age, pre maps and pre graphics, my mapping skills will come in handy if I can find a pencil. (Remember those? )

indigobuni
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by indigobuni on Mar 21, 18 3:43 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not impressed by this one, and I love the Dark Parables collection. I have all of them. I'm not sure what happened, but this one went downhill. My biggest complaint would be that there is no custom difficulty. It's either choose easy with sparkles and map shows areas of interest, normal with some sparkles and map doesn't show areas of interest, or hard with no sparkles and no areas of interest.

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: Return of the Salt Princess Collector's Edition h

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Mar 22, 18 7:51 AM
Finally a Hidden Object Game that has more hidden objects than puzzles. I counted Twenty nine Hops and Sixteen puzzles. Some hops you use more than once but I didn't mind because they are lovely.

The cartoon look is like the genre my Twenty something year old Son is into, called Anime. I think it's lovely. The setting is Krakow, Poland in the Grak kingdom and it has Dragonflies. So pretty fountains and waters. It has ties to the Frog Prince and I always have my lock screen on my PC for March with the Frog Prince's treasure room. I have been using that one for March for years now.

I Loved collecting the Twenty morphing cursed objects and the Twenty eight pieces of the seven parables. Five parables in the main game and two parables in the bonus with four items to find per parable.

I own all of the Dark Parables in CE. My favorite is the Rise of the Snow Queen. Then Curse of the Briar Rose, The Exiled Prince, The Red Riding Hood Sisters, The Final Cinderella ( in that order) I also liked some of the newer ones.

The other games I own in Blue Tea are Fabled Legends: The Dark Piper, Cursery: The crooked man and the crooked cat and Macabre Mysteries: Curse of the Nightingale. I thought HodgePodge Hollow was Blue Tea but it's Jolly Bear.

I liked the bonus game Moonlight Romance it's a prequel.

You can replay nine puzzles but I won't. I wish they had replays on the Hops.

Edited on 03/22/2018 at 7:54:20 AM PST

[Post New]by Razorhorn on Mar 24, 18 12:51 AM
I really enjoyed this game! 'Snow Queen' and 'Rapunzel' are my favorites in the DP series, and I while I can't say this is quite THAT good, it's enjoyable, and the flaws are minor.

I'm playing on a Windows PC, so that might explain why I didn't run into some of the issues others did - what's this about a magnifying glass? I never had one to use.

Anybody else recognize our thief? Can't remember his name, but the face I don't forget!First, the cons:

The "hmph" - The lack of a teleporting map is a pain. It didn't bother me too much, as it gave me the opportunity to collect objects and drop off pieces of tasks as I went. I enjoyed the backgrounds so seeing them repeatedly didn't bother me. I will admit to playing on Easy Mode - I see how it would get obnoxious fast without areas of interest highlighted on the map.

The "ugh" - The voices - a couple of these were kind of annoying; they stood out because the others weren't bad at all.

The "really?!" - I played through a second time to get all the achievements and I don't like that the achievements remain locked after finishing the game. At least let me see what I need to do the next playthrough, BT!

The "%$#@&!!!" - This comes down to personal taste: a couple of the puzzles (the seashells and the fire/snowflakes ones) about drove me bonkers. The seashells were just a time sink while that fire/snowflake one... I just hate that style of puzzle.

The "meh" - the music. Not bad, just not great. Didn't distract, but nothing really made me want to listen to the bonus content.

The one thing Eipix did better - the credits. I miss their humorous titles - they made me actually pay attention as the credits rolled.

The "Alright!" - while not quite 'Snow Queen' or 'Rapunzel', the HOP are headed back in the direction of that old Blue Tea magic! In fairness to Eipix, 'Shadow' (the previous game in the DP series) was a solid effort and felt like it had some of the magic back (the interconnected story that we get pieces of, the art, the HOP). While 'Salt Princess' isn't at the level of BT's best, they're back and going for the gold!

The quite good - the bonus game felt like an actual bonus! It tied into the story and world of the game, and it was fun to recognize some of the items in a bonus chapter room from a particular room in the main game.

The "nice!" - 'Cursery' references. Glad BT is at least hinting there might be more of these.

The "heck yes!" - teaser trailer for the next DP game!

[Post New]by Razorhorn on Mar 24, 18 1:08 AM
TL R version of my wall of text: Blue Tea is back, but not quite back to where they used to be. This game shows Eipix's involvement, and kudos to them for helping BT come back after their mobile jaunt. It does have some minor flaws, and there's room for improvement. I'd still recommend it though!

Suggestions for improvement: If we aren't going to get a teleporting map (BT has said elsewhere that 'it doesn't make sense for the detective to teleport') then making the cursed/morphing objects back into the 'triggered morphs' would help negate the annoyance of backtracking.

Continue to make the backgrounds, HOPs, and art more sumptuous and interactive - the objects in a scene help tell the story, provide hints, and reference other tales. I think it was 'Swan Princess' that gave us a couple of HOPs which had non-list items that didn't count as mis-clicks; they gave us more about the setting and story!

Eipix made their credits fun to sit through - keep that!

[Post New]by AliceWonders on Apr 5, 18 12:04 AM
It's just how I wanted it to be! I know not everyone loved this, but I did. The artwork and scenery are a large part of why I play Dark Parables, and it is SO very stunning and blew me away. It outdid my previous faves of this series in that regard. Even though some of the story was bittersweet, because of the exquisite imagery it was uplifting and relaxing. My daughter also plays some of these and she loved it too. Also, the voice acting wasn't bad, and most of the music was lovely and fit the scenes well. And it was a nice long play.

My one small quibble was that I felt the hidden object scenes could have been a tad more difficult, and the mini games a tad LESS difficult - but that's just my personal level of ability with those.

Otherwise, I hope that Blue Tea Games and Eipix continue just as they are, as this was EXACTLY what I had hoped for. Thank you!

Edited on 04/05/2018 at 12:05:21 AM PST

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Apr 6, 18 12:38 PM
I also love all the Dark Parable games

Go to: