nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Artifacts of the Past: Ancient Mysteries

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on Jul 10, 10 7:54 AM
Great beginner game for folks who are just starting to try IHOG (interactive Hidden Object) which simply means the object is used somewhere in the scene to find or help find another object. Also a beginner FROG game..which means items are fractured in pieces and you have to find all the pieces. The graphics are clear and the conversations are too. It has a magnifier and if you center it just right you can click on objects with that. Also it has a shuffle feature. It gives you alternate items to look for when stuck. I would have loved to have played this game when I was first starting HOG games. No penalty for incorrect clicking that I noticed. So for all of you wanting to try it nice game to experiment with.
I played with the normal mode and was entertained even stumped on occaision.
I recommend this game for folks who like all the little added fun gadgets to find clues and nice mini game puzzles.
Good job developers!
Sally

Yosemite1956c
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Yosemite1956c on Jul 10, 10 8:19 AM
BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on Jul 10, 10 8:26 AM
General recommendation: Daily Deal.

Graphics were ok, but some objects were difficult to find because of the color.

Sounds were good and the music fit the mood.

I liked the numerous mini-games and there were a couple I haven't seen often which is a big plus for me.

I loved the shuffle button! I really hope that catches on.

Hints filled quickly and the puzzles had a skip option available.

My main criticism of the game is that it's a bit too much of a junkpile for me with anachronisms galore. A typewriter in an Egyptian tomb along with fresh apples? Come on. The game itself isn't that bad actually and did have a couple of nice features, such as new mini-games and a shuffle button, but it just wasn't enough to make it stand out for me.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Jul 10, 10 8:33 AM
I Liked this game. Used a punch coupon and got it. It is certainly junkpile but those never bother me nor whether things go with the setting or not. I just like to play a game and enjoy it. This is only my opinion.

[Post New]by heatherington on Jul 10, 10 8:38 AM
This is certainly a buy. It kept me going for over four hours. I enjoyed it. Some of the things you got to find are a little different. For instance we got to find a whole pile of pea pods instead of just a single one. Some of the puzzles were a little long like the one with the hammer. That was a little tough as you had to find just the right spot. Sometimes while I was solving a puzzle it seemed they would not give me the right tools. Afterall, how can you solve the puzzle unless the game itself will not give you the right tool. Sometimes it would take away a perfectly good tool that I could have used but for some reason it wasn't acceptable and I had to find another exactly like the one they took away. But all in all it was enjoyable and we hadn't had a hidden object for two or three days now so I was having withdrawal systems and needed a good fix. Thanks Big Fish. Whew, I really like having a good puzzle on a lazy Saturday morning here in Wichita, Kansas.

Edited on 07/10/2010 at 8:40:14 AM PST

[Post New]by heatherington on Jul 10, 10 8:42 AM
Yes, it seems the game developers are finally starting to pay attention to us HOG lovers.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 10, 10 8:52 AM
I've played 40 minutes of the demo so far. I came, I saw, I went back to sleep. No real problems, issues or complaints really, and if it were a DD I'd be on it like white on rice. The scenes are fine so far in my opinion.

The story is sort of, um, weird or dumb or something. Dr. Artifact is allowing himself to be used by this character. Egyptian relics are being smashed and plundered in the process. Ok so I'm only 40 minutes into it... It's just not setting right with me so far...

Update:

Finished playing demo. Danged FROG... glad it ended lol. This is reminding me of some other game demo, but can't remember the name of that one - another with lots of destructive behavior toward museum relics. I didn't like that one either, is about all I remember.

Edited on 07/11/2010 at 4:13:43 AM PST

jinocchio49
Flounder
Flounder
2,255 Posts

[Post New]by jinocchio49 on Jul 10, 10 10:18 AM
puzzledone wrote:
No, I don't feel the devs didn't respect the players, nor insulted my intelligence (what's left of it) I feel there is more of that right here in comments. I don't know why some games bring out the hostility in people, Aren't we here to have fun?

Good for you, puzzledone! I couldn't have said it better. I think it's a shame how some people bash the devs and the games they produce because I'm sure they work very hard at their craft and what's wrong with being nice and stating your objections without malice? Of course this is JMHO and we're all entitled to that!

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Jul 10, 10 10:47 AM
Yosemite1956c wrote:BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure do agree. Just did not come together for me. Stodgy characters, silly story, childish matching games, stilted dialogue and really junkpile lists of objects to find. I lasted 27 minutes and then deleted. Devs need to do a little more research on how to make ihogs and frogs......

azmesa340
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by azmesa340 on Jul 10, 10 10:52 AM
tropdechats wrote:OMG, what a dull, clumsy, tedious, boring, belabored game. The dialogue is awful and the story lines are artificial. The scenes are clear but the objects are too easy to find. No creative thought was used on the construction of this game. If I hear one more time that a room is messy and needs to be cleaned up before I can move on, I will scream. There is no attempt to coordinate the objects with the story line: did you know that you can find pumpkins and typewriters in ancient Egyptian tombs? Neither did I. Sometimes the occasional anacronism is amusing, but this amount indicates laziness amd a lack of respect for the player. The puzzles are nothing new and are very easy to solve. The game moves VERY slowly because, after every scene, it stops to download the next scene. I would not purchase this one even as a DD. There are so many other HOG games out there that are so much more enjoyable.

Another long week-end with no IHOG

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jul 10, 10 11:01 AM
azmesa340 wrote:
tropdechats wrote:OMG, what a dull, clumsy, tedious, boring, belabored game. The dialogue is awful and the story lines are artificial. The scenes are clear but the objects are too easy to find. No creative thought was used on the construction of this game. If I hear one more time that a room is messy and needs to be cleaned up before I can move on, I will scream. There is no attempt to coordinate the objects with the story line: did you know that you can find pumpkins and typewriters in ancient Egyptian tombs? Neither did I. Sometimes the occasional anacronism is amusing, but this amount indicates laziness amd a lack of respect for the player. The puzzles are nothing new and are very easy to solve. The game moves VERY slowly because, after every scene, it stops to download the next scene. I would not purchase this one even as a DD. There are so many other HOG games out there that are so much more enjoyable. [/quote/]

[i]Totally agree. And I was disappointed, cos the graphics in the opening scene were lovely, but then they all got very messy. Lastd 10 minutes.[/i]

mmemubon
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by mmemubon on Jul 10, 10 11:45 AM
doctorgood wrote:bicycles and typewriters and ??? in the middle of an Egyptian tomb? C'mon! What a hunk of junk. This looks like it was slapped together to meet a quota or dead line. Another Egypt game with a mish mash of mixed hidden objects that have no bearing on the theme. I'm really really tired of this scenario. BORING!!!
Dr.good
I agree Dr.good said, boring and I deleted after 15 minutes played, I dislike all the games about Egypt trasures hunt.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jul 10, 10 12:15 PM
Pretty disappointing for me. Too bad, because I was enthused about this one when I saw it on the BFG site. The pre-game loading takes WAY long, as does the loading from scene to scene. Characters statically slide in and out from the sides and are wordy with the dialogue. Must use the custom cursor. Graphics, however, seem decently done as do the background sound effects. After the demo though, I thought "not for me."

Edited on 07/10/2010 at 12:16:56 PM PST

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jul 10, 10 12:58 PM
ok... so i only played 20 mins and had to stop... i'm so tired of this junk - and a recently breached and looted tomb with a camera and a sewing machine??

i didn't like the 'bling' every two seconds when there someone talking or something new to find and do... every other two seconds it seemed the game had to load a new scene, and there were never any smooth transitions between them... the story line needs to be rethought... i mean, if dr artifact is sooo smart, why couldn't he see through this little flunky trying to get him to do his bidding?? and all those gadgets? too bad he had to fly back and forth between egypt and london to actually use them!

good points about the game? well, i didn't encounter any glitches, didn't have any problems with the custom cursor, and found the game fairly easy to navigate without the tutorial... i chose the more difficult mode of play, but found that the characters pretty much talk you through everything anyway... no need for hints so i can't comment on whether they were effective or how long it took to charge... puzzles, although fairly easy, came equipped with skips, so that should make some players happy...

the bad? well, i didn't care for the music and i was hoping for a little more of the "adventure" in finding out stuff on my own rather than following a map someone made out for me... add to that the "loading" that appeared every time you did something and the not so fantastic graphics and i'd say you either have yourself a poorly done FROG or a beginner's best friend...

when you have "drawn" as the DD, you don't have to be psychic to know what people are going to buy [if they haven't already!]...

no 'mystery' here...

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 10, 10 1:13 PM
I was in need of a new HOG fix this morning so I bought it. Thank you for some good graphics the built in magnifying glass (which I only used twice due to the quality of the graphics) and the skip button (used once because I had to stop playing and go topside).

I played the game on Normal but, in view of how easy it was on that level, I would have liked to have seen a Hard option as well. I have to agree with the others in that seeing modern bicycles and typewriters in an Egyptian tomb wasn't right though, perhaps you could find some more appropriate items to the setting for your next game please.

All in all it was a relaxing game to play.

Lastly, but not least, I just love pipe puzzles.

C

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Jul 10, 10 2:08 PM
No, I don't feel the devs didn't respect the players, nor insulted my intelligence (what's left of it) I feel there is more of that right here in comments. I don't know why some games bring out the hostility in people, Aren't we here to have fun?

Thank you Puzzledone, I often wonder the same thing. If the game isn't for you, then don't play it or buy it. I look forward to everyone's comments before I try the games but it would be nice if they didn't get so hostile.

I love BFG and it's the first thing I check every day. If the game doesn't work for me, I just don't play it. It doesn't upset me, although some have disappointed me. lol

Joy

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jul 10, 10 2:23 PM
belamba wrote:When I read the blurb on this game, I was really looking forwards to it! I'm an iHOG fan and any game with a walkthough is usually worth buying. There's nothing like a good iHOG, and this game is nothing like a good iHOG!
I chose normal mode as it promised less hints and extra time recharging hint button. There was also an easy mode. One can only wonder what happens with the easy mode as in normal mode inventory items needed lit up when your cursor touched them, no end of prompts as to what you needed to do etc.
The game had too much loading, too much dialogue, not enough game play and easy objects to find. There's a lab where you can perform various tasks on found artifacts. 'The revealer'...what was that all about?
I was bored in a short space of time, found game play slow and although I played the entire trial hour hoping it would get better, it didn't!
The music was ok and the puzzles mainly too easy!
Can't believe there are any artifacts left in the world; I'm sure I've found them all by now!

What you find easy some my find difficult.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jul 10, 10 2:30 PM
I like the game. I like the skill level feature although some of you more skilled players still complain it's too easy... so perhaps they should make that one harder yet. Maybe three choices... easy, medium, and pull your hair out hard. That would make everyone happy.

Great music, great graphics.... I didn't think there was too much dialogue at all. I like the story line too.

I am playing on the easy mode and I don't see any flashing to show me where something is and I had to use a hint to find the lizard in the first HOG scene... so I guess I'm a minority here.

And... I can't figure out what to use to reach the button on the cabinet to get the rest of the statue pieces... so I'm stuck on easy.

Stone me.

Edited on 07/10/2010 at 2:31:18 PM PST

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jul 10, 10 2:32 PM
oops

Edited on 07/10/2010 at 2:32:54 PM PST

GrammaKj
Clownfish