lydiajmack
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

Re:This is not an adventure game

[Post New]by lydiajmack on Jul 11, 10 5:32 AM
I have to weigh in here.

I agree with Sinshack. What does it matter what the game is called. Try the demo and see if you like the game. BFG is not, and I repeat NOT, trying to confuse anyone. It is their choice to call it anything they like especially if it is a mix of several types of games. And I REALLY can't get bunged up over the classifications. I play the demo,read everyone's comments and then I decide. I decide based on those two things, not on the classification of what ever BFG decides to call it.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Jul 11, 10 5:34 AM
I'm sorry divegal. My post did not mean to be about you being angry and I apologize. What I meant was not to be angry at my opinion. I love these forums and the posters and wouldn't want to hurt anyone.

BBFinesse
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by BBFinesse on Jul 11, 10 7:11 AM
I'm finding that a lot of the new games are mixing it up lately, so I don't pay too much attention or even expect a game to fit into just one classification. You get hidden object scenes thrown in in Match 3 games, in TM games, other puzzle games, and even some card games, but you are also getting Match 3 and other type puzzle games thrown in on HOGs. I personally enjoy them mixing it up a bit and giving you a bit of variety. I always demo just to be sure there are no technical issues before I buy and when in doubt about the type game, I take a quick skim through the walkthrough to get an idea of game length and what to expect as far as puzzle types, etc. That's one of the reasons I like BFG is because you can know what you are buying before you spend your money and their customer service is the best if you have problems or are unhappy.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 11, 10 7:26 AM
Seems that the forums, so far, are the best way to find out before trying, what type of game something is - in addition to the gameplay video, screenshots, and walkthru (when there is one).

I'm currently not so fussy yet about HOGS and IHOGS and semi-adventure games, but I sure have a time figuring out which time management games to demo.

I do wish BFG would do more as to categorizing games in ways that are meaningful and helpful to us. But one of the biggest reasons I ended up at BFG is because they still do that better than any other sites I'd shopped at - especially with the gameplay videos being so helpful.

I've suggested BFG create a permanent forum area for "If you liked this game, you might also like..." sort of topics, sorted by game type and so on. Seems like the best recommendations are from those who have the same tastes (and obsessions ).

Edited on 07/11/2010 at 7:38:00 AM PST

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Jul 11, 10 7:28 AM
I'm playing the demo now and so far, I like it! It's a combination of adventure and hidden object, so that makes it interesting. I wish there were more animated graphics, though.

I notice that some games are more of one type than another, so my guess is that BFG has to choose which category they want to place the game in. I don't really care about that because once a new game comes out, I check the demo and see if I'll like it.

At least they keep the categories close to what the game is. I might just use a credit on this one.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Jul 11, 10 7:45 AM
1) I do the same I look at the walkthru

2) then come to game forum

3) then look at the little screen that intros the game

4) THEN DEMO IT!!

SO, why such a BIG FUSS??

DO THIS U HAVE NO PROBLEM.....that is easy..WOW real easy==4 easy steps

THEN I KNOW THAT I KNOW how the game is played & how long it is
NO MATTER THE TITLE

PEN

Robsim
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Robsim on Jul 11, 10 8:02 AM
Whenever a new game comes out that apPEARS to be a HOG game, I simply stop and take the few moments it takes to read the description and look for 's consistent use of either *fun, adventure, enchanting, spooky, etc.* 'HIDDEN OBJECT' game (they state the words Hidden Object in the game's descriptions if that's the genre). Further, if you click on the thumbnail pics (or look at the video demo), they all indicate whether it's a Hidden Object or Large File adventure game(s).

Edited on 07/11/2010 at 8:17:43 AM PST

justnorma
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by justnorma on Jul 11, 10 8:02 AM
What Pen said.

If BFG did any more "categorizing", we might end up with categories such as:

"Large file game, but not as large as Hardy Boys/IHOG, with mini-games such as match-3; therefore this is a Match-3 also/card and board game because at the end of each chapter, you must win a game of solitaire."

Whew! I think I could demo it before I read the description!

Just my humble point of view.

Thank you BFG for the 1-hour opportunity you give me to try a game before I buy!

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Jul 11, 10 8:04 AM
I'm only 27 minutes in but I'm finding it very adventurous.
The dream sequence was quite the heart tugger and I was so glad the dev's chose to preserve and protect that magnificent bird.
In the long scheme of things, do game labels really matter that much when it comes down to personal appeal = purchase ?
This game successfully captured my attention in less than 1 chapter. The correct genre it was presented in was completely disregarded.
Going back to finish the demo

Robsim
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Robsim on Jul 11, 10 8:05 AM
justnorma wrote:What Pen said.

If BFG did any more "categorizing", we might end up with categories such as:

"Large file game, but not as large as Hardy Boys/IHOG, with mini-games such as match-3; therefore this is a Match-3 also/card and board game because at the end of each chapter, you must win a game of solitaire."

Whew! I think I could demo it before I read the description!

Just my humble point of view.

Thank you BFG for the 1-hour opportunity you give me to try a game before I buy!

LOL. . .could you just imagine that????

Edited on 07/11/2010 at 8:05:59 AM PST

lackoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,430 Posts

[Post New]by lackoo on Jul 11, 10 8:22 AM
I'm getting to understand why BFG overhyping their hidden object game releases .

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Jul 11, 10 9:20 AM
Not all Large File games are adventures. For example, the various "empire" games like Marine Park Empire are not. And the Pet Pals games aren't adventures either. Sometimes a game takes a large file because it has highly detailed animaitions.

If a game requires you to collect items to be stored in your inventory and then used again later in the scene to solve a task, those usually count as adventure elements. How many of those there are, how challenging they are, and how many other types of activities there are vary a lot.

Robin

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Jul 11, 10 9:37 AM
memawclay2 wrote:I'm only 27 minutes in but I'm finding it very adventurous.
The dream sequence was quite the heart tugger and I was so glad the dev's chose to preserve and protect that magnificent bird.
In the long scheme of things, do game labels really matter that much when it comes down to personal appeal = purchase ?
This game successfully captured my attention in less than 1 chapter. The correct genre it was presented in was completely disregarded.
Going back to finish the demo

I so agree.

I would classify it as an adventure (inventory, several rooms to explore instead of one at a time) but does it matter if you are enjoying it? Just demo it - its free - to see if you like it. Don't get hung up on a word.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jul 11, 10 9:49 AM
all i know is that on the game's DL page, it's said to be: a) hidden object, b) adventure, and c) puzzle... i interpret that to mean: there's lots of fun stuff packed inside, so try it out!

and what about settlement: colossus ? that game could be classified as builder or HOG or puzzle or whatever... it's just simply, in my mind, not classifiable...

some games, no matter where they get put, will always be a little *not* where some people think they should be... it's those extra elements that make the game more likely to appeal to a larger group of people...

if you're looking for pretty much straight adventure - try the aveyond series, deadly sin, lilly and sasha, or the three musketeers; queen anne's diamonds... and happy adventuring!

may we all have a little luck in finding the right game for each of us!

steelerlady1
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by steelerlady1 on Jul 11, 10 10:01 AM
yasure wrote:
besstan wrote:sorry game not for me
i agree with the other fishies on this game besstsn

DITTO
DITTO! DITTO!

aalaurie
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by aalaurie on Jul 11, 10 10:29 AM
sinshack wrote:
divegal wrote:Given that, anyone have a take on whether I'd like this? Thank you

Since the trial download is free, why not just download it and see for yourself? It looks like a pretty even split between those who hate it because it isn't a pure adventure game and those who like it anyway, and since it doens't cost anything to find out for yourself you just might be pleasantly surprised.

Amen to that!

I think many of the games are a combination of characteristics and trying the demo gives us a chance to find out what gives. That said, I, too, am particular about the game type and try to avoid TM at all costs. Having lived a long life, I am tired of managing some environment that I am not actually living in. But TM has its aficionados and, for them, the TM is a great choice.

Please try the demos first and comment after the experience.

I do love gaming and come in every day to see if there is a good one. Can't wait for Brunhilda to show her lovely face.

On to the games.................

candycreme
Clownfish
Clownfish
548 Posts

[Post New]by candycreme on Jul 11, 10 1:17 PM
I think all of you are wasting good playing time about the name of a game instead of enjoying it!!!!!!!!!!!!

divegal
Minnow
Minnow
246 Posts

[Post New]by divegal on Jul 11, 10 2:18 PM
Amen.

bbelle wrote:I'm sorry divegal. My post did not mean to be about you being angry and I apologize. What I meant was not to be angry at my opinion. I love these forums and the posters and wouldn't want to hurt anyone.

Thanks bbelle. I don't understand what derailed here because never in this thread have I been, or have seen anyone in here (maybe I missed it?) be angry at anyone here or their opinions or BFG, nor have I even griped about classification -- I was just asking for a piece of information without downloading and playing the whole demo (I thought that was part of what these forums were for?) and thanked the person who helped me get it and was all set and happy. Then I awoke to this enormous debate that I don't understand. I for one have much more important things to worry about. I'm gonna try to not ask anything anymore in here because I feel kind of attacked, although prpldva's answer was helpful and the person who PM'd me was extraordinarily kind and understanding

Maybe you all have debated this before and have taken sides and assumed this was something old, but it was new to me. I just wanted to know something about the game and hoping someone could save me and hour or two, which they did and I thanked them. Gosh.

Once again, happy gaming everyone. Peace.

edited for typos.

Edited on 07/11/2010 at 2:31:30 PM PST

divegal
Minnow
Minnow
246 Posts

[Post New]by divegal on Jul 11, 10 5:49 PM
Before moving on I thought I'd look back to wonder what happened here and what was directed at me or not and I still really don't know, except that some people (like me) had some nicely-phrased questions and/or suggestions and others who had maybe heard those too many times for their taste went on, sometimes in caps and even bold about what a fuss was being made. This really confuses me.

The fact that downloading and demoing every time I have a question about a game takes me a lot of precious time is a fact that I wouldn't have even brought up unless I had been asked why I don't just do it. I thought this was a big friendly pond where one could ask questions and share input. But maybe anyone who remotely but politely suggests that they didn't have all the information they wanted about the game, and therefore they came here to get or share that information, is just too blasphemous? I don't know but I sure didn't mean to step on a landmine and I don't think the people who were seeking the info I was meant to either. If the forums were only for people to write after they played, why would anyone check it to find out it they want to play? Some of us don't have time to try every game, and much less time to argue about it.

Thank you for listening. That is all.

cyndrap
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by cyndrap on Jul 11, 10 6:20 PM
I like both adventure games and HOG - this is a nice blend - from the demo I played the whole 60 minutes and about 1/2 and 1/2 - decided to buy - and in the free demo got about 1/2 through Chapter 3 so maybe a 3 hour game[?]
nice look/feel to the game and good graphics

Go to: