Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

Re:Post any Secrets of the Dragon Wheel technical issues here only

[Post New]by saila72 on Jul 13, 10 1:20 AM
Same problem me too! I have vista.

[Post New]by shell020273 on Jul 13, 10 1:25 AM
kimberelf wrote:I had same problem, then went to the directory where I installed it and instead of using "launch game" I ran the actual "Secrets of the Dragon Wheel Demo" application (I also told it to run as administrator, think that might also help)
and it worked

Just something to try.[/quote

how do i run the game in this way, and do i find it

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Jul 13, 10 1:26 AM
'initializeProject' function could not be found.
This could indicate a bad or corrupt common directory for your game.
The Game will now shutdown because it cannot properly function.

Uninstalled, will try again, but not holding my breath.

ETA: 2nd try no better.

Even tried the run as admin - no go

Pretty crappy game night!

Almost no one is getting to play this one, soft release is garbage, and no DD as of 2:15am

Edited on 07/13/2010 at 2:18:17 AM PST

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Jul 13, 10 1:27 AM
hi shell what you need to do is go under your start menu and select computer and then select the drive that you have your downloads going to. most of the time it will be the c drive. then go to program files and locate the folder that says secrets of the dragon wheel and right click to open it. find the application file and then right click on it and select run as administrator.

hope this helps.

[Post New]by shell020273 on Jul 13, 10 1:31 AM
thanks very much amj, i will try that now

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Jul 13, 10 1:42 AM
your welcome

LEOTA26
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by LEOTA26 on Jul 13, 10 1:43 AM
amj0963 wrote:hi shell what you need to do is go under your start menu and select computer and then select the drive that you have your downloads going to. most of the time it will be the c drive. then go to program files and locate the folder that says secrets of the dragon wheel and right click to open it. find the application file and then right click on it and select run as administrator.

hope this helps.

I tried that, but it wont open for me. When I click on run as administrator a thing pops up for me to click on continue but when I do.....nothing happens

grsloop
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by grsloop on Jul 13, 10 1:43 AM
saila72 wrote:Same problem me too! I have vista.

Add me to the list

weeharleyboy
Shark
Shark
13,276 Posts

[Post New]by weeharleyboy on Jul 13, 10 1:47 AM
Same issue here .

Tried running as administrator ... and it won't let me do that either.
I hope someone from BF gets up early and gives us a fix, I was looking forward to this game. The Silverback Developer (who pops in to see how everything's going) is going to be disappointed to see this. It's obviously not the game itself since it can be downloaded from the dev. site with no problems.

2easy
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by 2easy on Jul 13, 10 1:47 AM
Just goes to show these games arnt tested very well! I have Vista as well and it wont even open.....forget this one!

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Jul 13, 10 1:48 AM
LEOTA26 wrote:
amj0963 wrote:hi shell what you need to do is go under your start menu and select computer and then select the drive that you have your downloads going to. most of the time it will be the c drive. then go to program files and locate the folder that says secrets of the dragon wheel and right click to open it. find the application file and then right click on it and select run as administrator.

hope this helps.

I tried that, but it wont open for me. When I click on run as administrator a thing pops up for me to click on continue but when I do.....nothing happens

did you click on the right application because there are 3 of them, the one i clicked on had like 4,000 and some odd kb.

[Post New]by SuperKiwigran on Jul 13, 10 1:52 AM
Another one to add to the List.

[Post New]by shell020273 on Jul 13, 10 2:00 AM
running as admin has worked for me, thanks for the advise,
but the time counter for the demo aint going down, looks like a free game for me

Edited on 07/13/2010 at 2:01:11 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jul 13, 10 2:05 AM
Me too on W7 laptop. Initialize Project function not found, shut down. I uninstalled, reinstalled after a disk cleanup, dump temp files, restarted before trying. Tried opening from icon, not game mgr but got same message.

I did not know before how to do Run as admin, could try that from directions on above post. Since I am the only user and owner, I thought I am already the admin, no network or other users. hmmm. Or, wait til there is a patch. Second download said I already used 2 minutes, heck, never even opened.

Does run without the dl error on XP pc, but very sluggish, jerky. I wonder if when bf tests games they are going thru a games manager or just the game itself. May be conflicts there.

[Post New]by CheerfulDragon8 on Jul 13, 10 2:20 AM
I managed to get the game running by using the tip above. There were two problems on exiting the game. First, the game manager didn't tell me how long I had left on the demo. This information is normally given no matter how a game is started. Second, my desktop was black, instead of the usual picture. Icons were there, but no picture. I had to restart my laptop to get things back to normal.

I have uninstalled the game. I will try it again when the problem is fixed and when there is a walkthrough.

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Jul 13, 10 2:26 AM
Running on administrator does work. Thank you to the gamer who suggested trying it So far is a really nice game..beautiful graphics...objects not too easy not too difficult to find. Entertaining story and I think the voice overs are very good. Hint recharges very quickly. Has 8 chapters which may not seem like much but there is plenty to do. Definitely a buy here.

[Post New]by Lsteven on Jul 13, 10 2:48 AM
Same problem here....Problem with the Directory

[Post New]by ulrikestrunz30 on Jul 13, 10 2:49 AM
No, it doesnt work as administrator.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jul 13, 10 2:49 AM
I played the full trial til it ran out. Although still 58 minutes left on games manager I bought it, thinking I'd be able to play it the same way as I did the trial ie run as administrator.
Now I can't do anything to open the game, really enjoyed it too. No option to run as administrator, and in fact no game name.exe in file folder to even click on!
Hopefully there'll be a fix today as this is so frustrating for everybody who can't run the game!

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jul 13, 10 3:00 AM
I downloaded it from BF to see if it still worked and, I'll be danged...got the same message some of y'all are getting..."initialize project function could not be found. you may have a bad or corrupted file and the game cannot be played. It will close now."...I just finished the game from the developer's site and didn't have any problems, so this is a bigfish problem. Will uninstall and wait for the fix. We shouldn't have to jump through hoops to play...shouldn't have to go any other place on computer to get it to play...should download and play right from the get go. It is a pretty good game though, so I hope you all do get to play it. I already bought it from the dev's site as soon as it came out...but didn't finish it until this morning. I bought it from BF for my daughter, as the dev's site states you can only download it on one computer. I don't know if that is true but she prefers to play the games from BF anyway...sometimes it is a hassle for her to get the games I buy from other sites.

Go to: