bbeaver1946
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Build-a-Lot: The Elizabethan Era

[Post New]by bbeaver1946 on Jul 17, 10 6:13 AM
I have played all the BAL games and I find this one to be the least favorite of all. The play was just ok, and for me the game was way to short. I guess I am spoiled by Power Source.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jul 17, 10 9:52 AM
i guess i just got spoiled playing the passport to europe edition... anyway...

you start out playing in 'campaign/career' mode and if you do well enough, you can unlock a 'casual/timeless' mode... system we have seen in many games...

the tutorial: my advice would be to skip it if you are an experienced player, because the language is absolutely too much! if you are new to these games, well, i would suggest learning to play another BAL game and then coming back to this one if you really like the theme...

the paradox: so, i have this guy telling me -
thou hath dispatched with our requirements so readily that we wish we had asked thee to do more!
and then in the next round he asks for a lot of new stuff plus a rent total of ten thousand pounds! so if we're supposedly speaking like we're in the elizabethan era, why are rents so high? and if we're adjusting for super hyperinflation, why not just talk 'plain' english?? hmmm...

if you are a veteran, the layout will look pretty much the same... tabs for goals, workers, materials, and in this game farmers... there are the typical goals of 'build this many houses' and 'collect this much in rent' as well as services and training and adding entertainment... one important service for this time period would be pest extermination! which is why the first upgrade i put on any house is the out house - or wash basin, or whatever!

the graphics are pretty much the same... i like having villages with stonehenge in the backyard... the music was like something from your local renaissance faire...

and houses get 'broken' and need to be fixed... and bought... and sold... and the same cheating rules apply here, folks... if you want top dollar or if you want to low ball, you have to control the market!

in all, it was quirky - but it seemed like the same old game in a new dress... since i already own 2&3, i'll be passing on this one... annoying anachronisms and all!

lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on Jul 17, 10 2:13 PM
Tried this elsewhere, intending to buy it when it got here. Glad I did, cause it's a "no-sale" for me. Saw all the comments here at that time about not being able to wait for this. Well, slow down and play the demo before you click "Buy". Feels just like the first BAL (read: way easier and more repetitive than later chapters) except for the fakey, annoying, gotta read it 3 or 4 times to figure it out "medieval" English. Having to choose between 2 different upgrades that both get you one star is inane and annoying and slows you down (extra clicks are never good in a TM game). I don't think I'll be buying this one. I'll just re-play Passport to Europe. Now THAT was a good BAL game!

AriadneSP
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by AriadneSP on Jul 17, 10 2:45 PM
like many of the others, I played my hour but will not be buying. I've played and completed all the other BAL games, but the really annoying, innacurate "medieval" english takes some of the fun away.

I completed about 15 levels on expert in the hours trial. I don't think the game will be enough of a challenge.

[Post New]by CastledCape on Jul 17, 10 3:09 PM
gimmegames wrote:I'm just starting to play the demo - just did a couple tutorial levels before coming here to the forums to look at comments and reviews.

This is the first Build-a-Lot I've demo-ed - at least the first since I started having any real interest in TM games. I think I might get bored if I were playing what would look like normal middle-class US surroundings, so I thought this one might be a good one for me to try. However, the stilted ye olde English is a bit off-putting...

Since I'm here in the forums with you Build-a-lot junkies, do you have any recommendations for me as to maybe the best one to consider starting out with?

Build-a -lot 2 is very interesting, maybe start with that.

[Post New]by shaunsmum on Jul 18, 10 10:19 AM
It's running really slow for me, I had also D/L from somewhere else and found this too. It's really driving me up the wall

Lazeedragon
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

[Post New]by Lazeedragon on Jul 18, 10 1:56 PM
have you checked ur sys requirements? if u did u may have too much stuff running in the background. or u may need more ram or a better video card...idk i have had no problems with it anyways just a suggestion

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jul 18, 10 3:23 PM
Ratatouille wrote:It baffles me why some developpers insist on not adding a relaxed/untimed mode to their games... (love the way it's done in Royal Envoy and many others). Such a simple thing to do. I guess they don't care about selling their games to as many customers as possible? Ha.

Alas for me and them: no untimed mode = no buy.

kitty1
Flounder
Flounder
2,194 Posts

[Post New]by kitty1 on Jul 22, 10 4:07 PM
I guess I am in the minority. I bought & am really enjoying it. Maybe because I haven't played BAL for a long time. I bought #4 & could never really get into it. The "Olde English" doesn't really bother me & I kind of like the music. As for not enough of a challenge--well I got expert on the 1st 15 levels too--but on about level 25 its starts getting more challenging quickly. Long game too--45 levels in the campaign plus casual level. Definite for me!

Hints

[Post New]by cheeky_monkey242 on Jul 23, 10 3:47 PM
Is there anyway to get rid of the pop-out hints?
I find it really irritating, every two minutes
They take up half the screen, and they're all in ye olde Elizasbethan so I spend more time trying to read and understand them than actually playing the game
Would enjoy it so much if I could hide them permanently

Edited on 07/23/2010 at 3:47:47 PM PST

[Post New]by H_Chick on Aug 5, 10 1:26 AM
Have to admit that I was overjoyed at seeing another offering from the developers of BAL.
I dont mean to sound churlish but it was plain AWFUL (well I think so anyway) and after three levels I ceased trying to play it.
A Big FAIL in my opinion.
(

togood2be
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by togood2be on Aug 13, 10 3:43 PM
I have been hoping for another Build-a-lot, I have all the others so I purchased this one, not my bag, still trying to get through it after this long. I just can not get into it. How far they have fallen!!
When will they ever add a continue or finish this level option? Plenty of time left on the levels and it does not benefit you with the exception of a star..yipee
Maybe 6th time will be the charm..lol the harder the better thank you!!

sm22281
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by sm22281 on Aug 24, 10 10:20 AM
I have been a big fan of Build-A-Lot (BAL) ever since the first one. Yes, it is more of the same with some new twists, so that's what is fun! Adventure and discovery of the unknown. However, I am finding it more difficult to go through this one than the previous ones... I have to work harder, much harder, and can still be stuck!!! It makes me wonder what I am doing wrong... So I am hanging in there.

I certainly do not expect to finish any new game in 2-4 hrs like some other gamers I see on the review board, I am humbly just a learner, but I get discouraged when I am stuck after playing a particular assignment a dozen times. I need to think of a better strategy... I do not complain too much about the lack of an obvious answer or resolution: sometimes life is like that, one has to live with reversals, challenges and apparent failure. One has to think harder and work harder. But it is less fun that way, I agree.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Your Comments and Reviews for Build-a-Lot: The Elizabethan Era

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Aug 30, 10 7:00 PM
mountfalcon wrote:I'd been looking forward to this one, too; but I just can't stand the ignorant pseudo-Elizabethan language, and couldn't go past the first five minutes. Modern English would have been fine - in fact modern French would have been fine rather than this gibberish. I enjoyed the other BALs, but I can't take this one.
I'm tolerating the gibberish, but I've posted more detail on this complaint in a thread I called "Insulting Lack of Care"

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Aug 30, 10 7:06 PM
ember89 wrote:one important service for this time period would be pest extermination! which is why the first upgrade i put on any house is the out house - or wash basin, or whatever!
This is accomplished (eventually) by building a Windmill.

One more way in which this is NOT a realistic simulation!

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Aug 30, 10 7:17 PM
nelly153 wrote:The bad Elizabethan English was very annoying,
Agreed in spades, as noted above.

nelly153 wrote:the upgrade choice is pointless as you cant see the upgrade, all this does is make you have to click the mouse an extra time every time you upgrade a house
Some you can't, but many you can--the different roofing choices, dormer windows, fancier entryways, etc.

nelly153 wrote:the houses all were fairly unattractive and you don't get the choice to pretty them up with paint etc
I think they're charming, but then I like the period. And painting them bright colors would be badly anachronistic.

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Sep 16, 10 4:47 AM
I can see why this particular game is not as popular as Royal Envoy.

I love the era, but I can't stand the Shakespearean language you have to follow, and then the use of British pounds instead of American dollars. It's harder to comprehend, for me.

So I tried it but so far, I haven't found anything to compare with Royal Envoy and it's high quality.

Poliwird
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Poliwird on Sep 19, 10 1:07 AM
lil_chickadee wrote:Having to choose between 2 different upgrades that both get you one star is inane and annoying and slows you down (extra clicks are never good in a TM game).

nelly153 wrote:the upgrade choice is pointless as you cant see the upgrade, all this does is make you have to click the mouse an extra time every time you upgrade a house.

Huh?

I'll have to notice they're not just some annoying decoration. There's actual difference between the three available upgrades in requirements: the one that needs less materials requires more workers and vice versa. They're always in their places so it's easy to learn to quickly click the needed one, depending on what you're currently better supplied with, materials or workforce.

auntymom
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by auntymom on Sep 23, 10 6:05 PM
nelly153 wrote:Honestly I love the BAL games but this is probably my least favourite. The bad Elizabethan English was very annoying, the upgrade choice is pointless as you cant see the upgrade, all this does is make you have to click the mouse an extra time every time you upgrade a house. I don't think the graphics are as nice as previous versions and the houses all were fairly unattractive and you don't get the choice to pretty them up with paint etc....

Having said that I have played the game right through and got expert on every level pretty much first time and whilst I sympathise with those who prefer not to play in timed mode, I really enjoy this and actually being an experienced BAL player did not find this much of a challenge.

After waiting so long for the next BAL edition I am disappointed. It seemed too easy and lacked alot of features of the previous games. Been through it 4 times in both modes in less than a week....seems a waste of a game credit.

popcorn_20000
Marlin
Marlin
8,219 Posts

[Post New]by popcorn_20000 on Oct 2, 10 3:07 AM
I'm nearing the end of this game, and would like to comment that I have really enjoyed it. Obviously the same line as the previous Build-A-Lot's all of which I have enjoyed.
I find the first half of the levels rather easy to finish and then the second half harder to finish which kept me interested. I liked the addition of farms and didn't miss the upgrades such as paint and landscaping.
I had no problems with the sound and graphics (although kept sound off for most part).

Go to: