QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Great Gatsby

[Post New]by QEIII on Jul 15, 10 5:12 AM
This a really different type of HOG and I am loving it. There are even hidden objects in the transition/story movies, so you would be missing out a lot of points if you skipped them! A great innovation. Also you have to find letters in the scene to find a word which contributes to the hints. You also have to find hardback books which adds to your library where you can store your trophies and can purchase things to furnish it. There are also great mini-games like fixing a spare tyre and mixing drinks which are again a real change. There is soo much to do, this is as far from a boring game as its possible to be. I think they have captured the period beautifully, the graphics and ambience is just about perfect. A definite buy.

romany09
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

COMPARE TO RAVENHURST

[Post New]by romany09 on Jul 15, 10 5:16 AM
Speaking of domestic violence, think of Ravenhurst! The first time I played the first game I was saddened for months. It doesn't get any worse than killing a woman in the name of love! But I adore Ravenhurst (and all sequels) so well worth the sadness. Read "Zelda" (the biography of F. Scott Fitzgerald's wife). Their lives were quite sad and not what many of we modern women would put up with. So after I download Golden Trails, I'm going to try The Great Gatsby and just feel grateful that I am with a man who may sometimes want to break my nose but hugs me instead!

DLeeM
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by DLeeM on Jul 15, 10 5:31 AM
I don't do a lot of reviewing of games, I feel that a person should make up their own mind about games, to their liking or disliking. But I have to say, this game is quite original and very interesting. The different mini-games are interactive and quite fun. I'm really into the old ragtime music also. I'm a great lover of Joplin and was very taken with that aspect of the game. I feel that someone took a great deal of thought into each aspect of the game, not just finding things. This is a definite buy for me. I'm really enjoying it!

[Post New]by VatMan1982 on Jul 15, 10 5:36 AM
An excellent game - and different too. Good, crisp graphics, excellent voice-overs and interesting puzzles -- not just your typical "find object and click" but also typing games, interactive games. By way of example, in one episode, you are recovering from a hangover so the you have limited vision and the periphery is very vague - well that's what happens when one over-drinks!

I think the developers have taken their time to make a really good game and it might serve as an introduction to people who have never read Fitzgerald and get them to go to their local library or the bookshop.

Once my credit comes up, I will be purchasing it - it's gem.

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Jul 15, 10 6:19 AM
Review of demo: While I am not a fan of domestic violence, this is a game based on a book and I think it is very well done. All this complaining about subject matter makes wonder... dead children's souls, tortured people, dismemberment, murder, drugs, vampires, witchcraft, grave robbing, dark, dark subjects, occult subjects are *not* getting the same flack as the busted nose, adultery, and mixing cocktails. Yes, the game is geared for adults and it should that should be known, but that said, I like the game. I like the story, the artwork, the presentation, the transitions and the adult subject matter. Think of it this way...I liked Ravenhurst, Puppet Show, Madame Fate and that does not mean I support or practice black arts! The music is appropriate for the era, but got turned down after 30 minutes. Like the guess the word minigame in each scene. Minor animation of characters within each scene. Clear and bright. Skip buttons available. Loosely based on F. Scott Fitzgerald. A must buy for me.

Forgot to mention: Objects are appropriate for the time, atmospheric, spoken dialogue throughout, no timer.

Edited on 07/15/2010 at 6:53:53 AM PST

Jixio
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Jixio on Jul 15, 10 6:52 AM
So far, I've enjoyed all the games based on books or plays. This one is especially good and I hope developers are working on more of this kind of game. It puts the player right into the plot and that's interesting. I'm putting the book on my list to read again - it's been a while.

[Post New]by Marinersfan04 on Jul 15, 10 7:21 AM
This is the first game in weeks that held my attention from the start, and I purchased it about 30 minutes into the demo. Love the period graphics and music. Would like to see more typing mini-games, a nice change of pace.

Like most have said, I don't endorse some of the adult themes, but it IS a book-based game, and beautifully done. Best game I've played recently.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jul 15, 10 7:22 AM
Just a comment, as I haven't played yet but fully intend
to do so.

After all the great reviews, I'm curious as to why
this was a "soft" release?

Downloading both this and TGT, but won't be
playing until much later today.

It's THE OPEN on TV!!

janierae
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by janierae on Jul 15, 10 7:24 AM
Played a few minutes of the demo and purchased the game. The voice acting and music are great. It is different and fun. Searching for the letters and books is a challenge for me. I give it thumbs up. Lots of them!

bball111
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by bball111 on Jul 15, 10 7:48 AM
joyce2121 wrote:Just a comment, as I haven't played yet but fully intend
to do so.

After all the great reviews, I'm curious as to why
this was a "soft" release?

Downloading both this and TGT, but won't be
playing until much later today.

It's THE OPEN on TV!!

Great question! Would seem to have deserved more than a "soft" release.

TinkerOne
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by TinkerOne on Jul 15, 10 7:55 AM
GREAT GAME....PLAYED 15 MIN & BOUGHT IT. LOVED THE MOVIE WITH ROBERT REDFORD AND MIA FARROW ......THANKS BIG FISH
TINK

lexi4
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by lexi4 on Jul 15, 10 7:58 AM
Could we keep our moral issues out of the discussion and discuss the merits of the game? Off to play more to come.

togood2be
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by togood2be on Jul 15, 10 7:59 AM
There is nothing wrong with the story line, that's the way it was. Just a little too boring for me, the music almost put me to sleep, although appropriate for the era. Not a buy for me. Very nice visually.

stapyhar
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by stapyhar on Jul 15, 10 8:07 AM
Like the demo. Easy (but interesting, know what I mean) to play. I think I'm going to buy it. Bought quite a number of HOG (I don't think I'm the only HOG junkie ) but have made some bad choices though . Hope this is not one of them . lol

boptab
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by boptab on Jul 15, 10 8:28 AM
I agree to what everyone wrote...and, a toast to all clink.

popookaka
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by popookaka on Jul 15, 10 8:48 AM
This game is O.K.. The graphics aren't very good. I found myself falling asleep...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Not a but for me.

S_Sorcha
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by S_Sorcha on Jul 15, 10 9:17 AM
I'm downloading as I type! I LOVED this book when it was required reading for high school English Lit and it has since become one of my favorite books. Before downloading the description states...
"Join Nick Carraway as you explore the mansions and bungalows of Long Island, the parlors of New York City, and the heart and soul of the Roaring Twenties. Attend extravagant parties and lush gatherings as you dance the Charleston with a happy couple harboring scintillating secrets. Sip bootleg gin with a mysterious millionaire desperate to bring the passions of the past into the present in Great Gatsby, a fun Hidden Object game.
---Gorgeous scenes
---Variety of minigames
---Bring this novel to life!

...so even if you haven't read the book, some of those words should have given a clue. Plus, I remember mixing drinks, hangovers and such in Hidden Mysteries: The Fateful Voyage-Titanic. But all that aside, this is a game which can never be anything like the actual book, so I say just sit back and enjoy and I highly recommend reading F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby!!

Now, I'm off to play!! Have a great day fishies

"I've been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library." The Great Gatsby - Chapter 3.

kitwhite
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by kitwhite on Jul 15, 10 9:18 AM
The Great Gatsby is my all time favorite book and movie. Yes, there's adultery, physical abuse, gossip, murder and alcoholism. Oh, but wait.....doesn't that describe a lot of the TV shows and movies today?

I will be buying this; I love the voice-overs and the music as well as the wonderful graphics.

sheilafaye
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by sheilafaye on Jul 15, 10 10:00 AM
_Angel_angel wrote:Possible spoiler to follow:

Is the game simply following the story? Could the (IMO) PG-13, or worse stuff have been left out and the story still be told well?

The game is following the story, and doing a beautiful job of giving us the characters and essential feel for the book. The context is accurate; this was a decadent time in history and the book has a well-deserved classic status.

Personally, I'm thoroughly enjoying the great job the game's creators have done. The mini games fit well within the story line; the game play, as you mentioned is very good and the actors and music give it a really authentic flavor. I'd give this two thumbs up for an innovative effort at doing something just a little bit different and better than the usual HOG fare.

Sometimes, when reading a book, and playing a game, it's the WHOLE story, including the development of the characters as well as the ending that gives meaning to the chapters in between. Maybe you'll feel differently once you've played the whole game. Or maybe I will . We'll see...

Edited on 07/15/2010 at 10:11:47 AM PST

vonniefaye
Herring
Herring
325 Posts

[Post New]by vonniefaye on Jul 15, 10 10:09 AM
I love this game. It is the first game of this type I have played. Spoiler?
I am crazy about the word game. I love words anyway. The items are not too hard to find, I didn't read this particular novel, but love the era. So, it will be a buy for me, even if I don't have any credits, this is a must in my game vault.

Go to: